News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

Professortango1

Except you've just lost all those last minute shoppers strolling down Main St.

So unless you're purposing they completely replicate a Main St shopping "alley" out this back exit, it'll never happen.

Charge people $5 to exit out the side. :) I know I'd pay. So would parents who don't want to buy their kid a hunk of plastic.

bshah365

New topic:

Will the shuttle take-off and the escape pod decent have nighttime views of Batuu as well as day? I'm thinking they'll have to since both take-off and landing occur outdoors, not in a show building. And it would be interesting if there were slight variations in the footage besides the time of day change.
Wow! interesting point.. I mean.. they would have to.. specially bc everything in the shuttle will most probably be screen based.. it would be so easy..

SuddenStorm

...I'm guessing something might be $10 and the SWGE character will say "$20" - you "talk him down" to the real price.

That still seems lousy- I don't go to Disney to negotiate when I buy something. If that's an option in Galaxy's Edge, I'd bet some guests would think it's an option throughout the park- creating frustration when someone thinks there's a magic word to get that hoodie for $10 off.

But the more likely case? Disney's way overselling the interactivity of the land. I bet that what's there when it opens is less than we were told (like how the Falcon is having to get training wheels after playtesting)- and within a year of open, even more stuff gets taken away.

Much of what Imagineering is spewing and trying to accomplish with this is cute, and sounds great on paper- and would properly work great in a stand alone park with limited capacity and some sort of preview video to watch beforehand- but inside Disneyland? It'll be a nightmare.

shortstop

That still seems lousy- I don't go to Disney to negotiate when I buy something. If that's an option in Galaxy's Edge, I'd bet some guests would think it's an option throughout the park- creating frustration when someone thinks there's a magic word to get that hoodie for $10 off.

But the more likely case? Disney's way overselling the interactivity of the land. I bet that what's there when it opens is less than we were told (like how the Falcon is having to get training wheels after playtesting)- and within a year of open, even more stuff gets taken away.

Much of what Imagineering is spewing and trying to accomplish with this is cute, and sounds great on paper- and would properly work great in a stand alone park with limited capacity and some sort of preview video to watch beforehand- but inside Disneyland? It'll be a nightmare.
Maybe I’m just a grump, but I really don’t want to see any of this extra interactivity stuff.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
New topic:

Will the shuttle take-off and the escape pod decent have nighttime views of Batuu as well as day? I'm thinking they'll have to since both take-off and landing occur outdoors, not in a show building. And it would be interesting if there were slight variations in the footage besides the time of day change.

I have a feeling it'll be no. No other attraction does that so not sure why you'd think otherwise.

I mean just look at Mansion, we walk in no matter what time of day and its always nighttime and raining/lightning in the windows. Or the same with Pirates, no matter the time of day its always nighttime in the bayou when we embark on our journey.

Ismael Flores

Except you've just lost all those last minute shoppers strolling down Main St.

So unless you're purposing they completely replicate a Main St shopping "alley" out this back exit, it'll never happen.

the shops normally close an hour after park offical park closing. i was talking about opening summer months where there might be a possibility of people lining up for the rides right before closing and forcing them to keep ride open paat the hour time.

also Disney doesnt seem to care about those last minute shoppers since they already have a bypass of mainstreet which forces hundreds away from the shops.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
the shops normally close an hour after park offical park closing. i was talking about opening summer months where there might be a possibility of people lining up for the rides right before closing and forcing them to keep ride open paat the hour time.

also Disney doesnt seem to care about those last minute shoppers since they already have a bypass of mainstreet which forces hundreds away from the shops.

Except you're not going to have the rides running for hours and hours past closing. There will be a cut-off, likely where they only can allow up to an hour past closing. This is because security has to do their sweeps and cleanup crews have to do their jobs. If you have guests in the park 2-3 hours after parking closing that just delays everything else. And that is something the Operations will likely never allow.

And the bypass I don't think has ever opened for closing, which is what you're talking about. The bypass is usually only used for when the park is still opened and people are both entering/exiting at the same time while Main St would be blocked, usually due to some entertainment. So there would be no one using it at closing and bypassing Main St.

Also as you already stated, the shops are opened for an hour after closing. This proves Disney does actually care about last minute shoppers. If they didn't they'd just close all shops on Main St at the same time as park closing.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
It was built with the intent to be Star Wars, not Disney. If they won't allow Visa logos, I doubt Imagineering would want to put in hidden Mickey's to take someone out of the world by breaking story.
Why not they put hidden Mickey’s in movies all the time. Does that break story, no it’s called an Easter Egg.

There’s a difference between the Visa logo at a store for everyone to see and the three circles that form Mickey’s head in some area that will likely be overlooked. Again it wouldn’t break the story, it’d be an Easter Egg.

Also hidden Mickey’s are not always officially sanctioned and TWDC doesn’t pubicly have an official list. So a member of WDI could put one in some area of the land that wasn’t officially sanctioned. Or some guest might see something that looks like a hidden Mickey and no one at TWDC will state it isn’t a real one.

So I’m of the opinion the land will have one or more hidden Mickey’s.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Also... actual Hidden Mickeys are hidden. There are way too many Mickey's that people refer to as 'Hidden Mickeys' when they're no such thing because they're not hidden. A Mickey on a manhole cover is not a Hidden Mickey because there's no attempt to hide it. It's just a Mickey. The giant Mickey-shaped tree in The Land is not a Hidden Mickey... it's not hidden. It's just a fun way to do an obvious Mickey. I'm pretty sure SWL will not have any such non-Hidden Mickeys.

When the three hot air balloons in Soarin' pass by each other and for a moment form a Mickey... that's a Hidden Mickey. That's the kind of HMs I would expect in SWL.

Phroobar

...I'm guessing something might be $10 and the SWGE character will say "$20" - you "talk him down" to the real price.
It's just an interactive puppet show. They are not going to reduce the price just because a puppet you talked to said so. That is like Donkey at USH giving you free food at the local restaurant. The cashier will look at you like your craze. "The droid said I could have it for $10 off."

Phroobar

It was built with the intent to be Star Wars, not Disney. If they won't allow Visa logos, I doubt Imagineering would want to put in hidden Mickey's to take someone out of the world by breaking story.
Exactly were in the park do you see credit card logos anymore? If they are there, I've never noticed them.

Phroobar

Also... actual Hidden Mickeys are hidden. There are way too many Mickey's that people refer to as 'Hidden Mickeys' when they're no such thing because they're not hidden. A Mickey on a manhole cover is not a Hidden Mickey because there's no attempt to hide it. It's just a Mickey. The giant Mickey-shaped tree in The Land is not a Hidden Mickey... it's not hidden. It's just a fun way to do an obvious Mickey. I'm pretty sure SWL will not have any such non-Hidden Mickeys.

When the three hot air balloons in Soarin' pass by each other and for a moment form a Mickey... that's a Hidden Mickey. That's the kind of HMs I would expect in SWL.
I'm looking forward to hidden R2-D2 or knowing Disney BB-8.

GWdzq606bGz0ykv6kHC-n2ZrfLjCtSiXVF0eWU3DmUs.jpg

Disney Irish

Premium Member

Agreed, and good point about the "hidden" part of it. And that is how I'd expect it to be done in SWL also.

Although I think the term Hidden Mickey has now become synonymous to mean anything that can be recognized as a Mickey head in public view whether overt or hidden.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom