News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

meyeet

I thought they did serve actual beer there? I could've sworn I read something when it opened about this being the first time they served alcohol in a Magic Kingdom park.

Anyways, this does bring up something that I don't know if it's been discussed. It's very likely that DHS's SWL will have cantinas that serve alcohol seeing as the park already sell those kinds of beverages. Now I'm very much against selling alcohol in the parks, especially in Disneyland, but what's the likelihood of Disney throwing away tradition at Disneyland in favor of "authenticity" (making money off drinks) for Galaxy's Edge?
Alcohol is served at the Be Our Guest restaurant next door to Gastons. They threw tradition out the window for "authenticity" of a French restaurant so I wouldn't hold you breath that they won't do the same at TDL.

TP2000

And if they stop asking "how many? row 2, etc." capacity goes down and people start complaining. Cumulatively during peak attendance, every empty seat and every second's delay results in hundreds of people not getting to ride that attraction that day. I knew a cast member who worked Pirates and hitting that 2700/hour mark was incredibly stressful. That's why they left attractions.

I still want them to assign me to a row. I just want them to look better and smile a little when they do it. See: Tokyo Disneyland, or Anaheim circa 1975-1990.

Curious Constance

I think when we get to Heaven, some of us are going to love the place, but within a week, we're going to start griping about some angel who designed a cloud and put it too close to a fountain, or how Tokyo Heaven has better designed Pearly Gates than Paris Heaven.

All kidding aside, anyone who's ran a restaurant will tell you that if product isn't moving, you change your menu. Maybe Gaston's Tavern was a bad idea to begin with, when everyone is going to walk right by it on their way to the $$$$ lunch or dinner at Beast's Castle. Maybe Turkey Legs and Pork Shanks fit a theme, but people don't want to eat Turkey Legs and Pork Shanks. Personally, I think Gaston is a repugnant character to begin with and an odd choice to build a food nook around.

If a product isn't moving, you potentially change the menu, or you could consider that maybe the prices being charged for the product is too high.

In any event, if interest is low despite fair pricing, they could have replaced it with any million of other things, but it seems like they wanted to go the absolute cheapest way and replace it with items you can get anywhere else in the park. Pretzels and fruit.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I thought they did serve actual beer there? I could've sworn I read something when it opened about this being the first time they served alcohol in a Magic Kingdom park.

Anyways, this does bring up something that I don't know if it's been discussed. It's very likely that DHS's SWL will have cantinas that serve alcohol seeing as the park already sell those kinds of beverages. Now I'm very much against selling alcohol in the parks, especially in Disneyland, but what's the likelihood of Disney throwing away tradition at Disneyland in favor of "authenticity" (making money off drinks) for Galaxy's Edge?

The rumor has always been that SW:GE will have a cantina that serves alcohol on both coasts. However the only confirmed beverage has been Blue Milk. So take that for what its worth.

PB Watermelon

If a product isn't moving, you potentially change the menu, or you could consider that maybe the prices being charged for the product is too high.

In any event, if interest is low despite fair pricing, they could have replaced it with any million of other things, but it seems like they wanted to go the absolute cheapest way and replace it with items you can get anywhere else in the park. Pretzels and fruit.

A lot of things don't work out in practice...Disneyland had a working circus when it opened, but it closed within a year I think because nobody was going. People wanted to see Disneyland, not something they could see on their own home turf, no matter how good that circus was.

I've been disappointed, even saddened, by changes at the parks. I've also been delighted by many changes as well. I try to keep an even keel and not go down the negative hyperbole rabbit hole, calling managers or executives morons or stupid or any number of things. Closest I get to that is the "Tiki Birds - Under New Management" overhaul at the Magic Kingdom. When I heard it caught fire after Eisner was essentially forced out, I wondered what imagineer sneaked in there in the middle of the night with matches and a bunch of oily rags.

As for the Gaston Tavern, I was never on board with it in the first place. It's essentially a refreshment bar with some snacks, I take it. Well, if no one was buying the pork shank, then it seems silly to keep preparing something no one was eating. Putting the focus on the drinks with some light snacks makes some sense, especially with Beast's Castle just a walk away. Anyway, the $10.00 pretzel seems a bit much for a pretzel with ham and cheese, so if or when people pass on that, they'll have to change the menu again...or just tear down Gaston and Storytime with Belle for (dare I hope) a Beauty and the Beast classic Fantasyland dark ride.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom