News Star Wars Galaxy's Edge Disney's Hollywood Studios opening date

PorterRedkey

Remember how Disney just gave a the media a tour of SW:GE at DL without having the land ready to open?

You should...
Right. Your point?

It is not like they rode the attractions.

I’m glad you’re excited for the land. I am too, just not as excited as I was for my first visit. That is, if I don’t reschedule.

I think the most anticipated themed land since Potter should open at full capacity to serve the most guests and you seem to prefer them to open the land at a reduced capacity leading to even more people being turned away.
We disagree and that’s fine.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Right. Your point?

It is not like they rode the attractions.

The point being... you're applying a standard that means nothing. Is the land ready to open? Nope. Did that stop Disney from doing press junkets? Nope. Did anyone shoot down the media reports over the last week because they didn't do everything? Nope.

Does Disney do press stuff at different levels and expectations from general public? Yup!

So all this media press Disney manufactured over the last two weeks.. and none of it required the attractions be ready to open to the public. So to think Disney will 'screw themselves' because they won't be able to feed the press... is just garbage. And frankly, quite under estimating Disney (and history)

PorterRedkey

You know Disney can invite media back as many times as needed, right?

And keep getting free press over it...
Sure. I can see the headlines.

“Galaxy’s Edge at Disneyland opens again”

“Star Wars land at Disneyland is finally finished.”

“Disney opens new ride at Disneyland”

Of course the social media folks will be there, but what about the TV media?
Are they going to send all the daytime ABC shows like The View/Chew down there twice?
Is Disney’s going to have two grand opening TV specials or just one with a coming soon segment?

The media doesn’t matter to me, I am more concerned with the lands opening with anything less than full capacity. The land is already under capacity with everything open.

PorterRedkey

The point being... you're applying a standard that means nothing. Is the land ready to open? Nope. Did that stop Disney from doing press junkets? Nope. Did anyone shoot down the media reports over the last week because they didn't do everything? Nope.

Does Disney do press stuff at different levels and expectations from general public? Yup!

So all this media press Disney manufactured over the last two weeks.. and none of it required the attractions be ready to open to the public. So to think Disney will 'screw themselves' because they won't be able to feed the press... is just garbage. And frankly, quite under estimating Disney (and history)
Of course no one was mad that every thing wasn’t open for the media preview. We crave the info. Any new news is good. We watch construction videos for heavens sake.
I know way more useless Disney crap than I should, because I seek it out. The general public doesn’t. Like I posted above I think this is mainly a problem for the TV media. Daytme tv show will all spend a week down at the park like they did with Pandora. You only get one shot at that IMHO. The second time would seem like a rerun.

I am tired of talking about media. I am not a media savant, so while I am not sure what you point is, I’ll agree with it if we can stop talking about it.:)

Rich T

Good God.... people here will complain about ANYTHING!!!!!!

First, KUDOS to Disney for exceeding expectations and getting these attractions open sooner than anyone (included "insiders") predicted.

Second, KUDOS to Disney for going NO FASTPASS in the beginning. This means the lines will MOVE even if they are long. This means everyone will have a fair shot to ride, not just those lucky enough to score a Fastpass. This will be like the good old days when we had no FASTPASS and the lines moved, we enjoyed the pre-shows, and more.

Third, KUDOS to Disney for going with the early-opening route. This will take care of a lot of pent up demand among the superfans while causing others to wait-it-out until RoR is open. Minus RoR, there is still tons to see and do in each land (I got into Diagon Alley before they opened Gringotts and it was still a wonderful experience... just made we want to come back again for Gringotts). The Millenium Falcon is a super-E ticket, and there's tons more.

You obviously can't please everybody, but these announcements are going to please a lot of people.
Stop saying “KUDOS!” :D Kidding. I honestly think Disney would have preferred to open the entire land at once if they could. But Ku— Congrats to you for focusing on the positives. It is, as they say, what it is.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Like I posted above I think this is mainly a problem for the TV media. Daytme tv show will all spend a week down at the park like they did with Pandora. You only get one shot at that IMHO. The second time would seem like a rerun.

Disney gets to dictate when all that happens.. and Disney does it on their terms... all in HIGHLY controlled manners. Disney even keeps the big stuff in house with ABC. Its just another form of PROMOTION - not reporting or real reviews. Disney can always run media through well before it's ready for the public. They did it with carsland... they did it for pandora.. and they'll continue to do it.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Sure. I can see the headlines.

“Galaxy’s Edge at Disneyland opens again”

“Star Wars land at Disneyland is finally finished.”

“Disney opens new ride at Disneyland”

Of course the social media folks will be there, but what about the TV media?
Are they going to send all the daytime ABC shows like The View/Chew down there twice?
Is Disney’s going to have two grand opening TV specials or just one with a coming soon segment?

Of course not... The Promotions will read like
"Disney adds the greatest star wars attraction ever built to their already doorbuster SWGE'
"Disney adds second headliner attraction to it's successful SWGE"
"Disney opens the long awaited masterpiece element to it's SWGE"
"Disney goes full steam with second attraction now open at SWGE"

You're focusing on the negative - which no promotion piece ever would. It would focus on the idea of ADDING MORE onto something they will hope they can call a success already... So in effect Disney gets to double dip and make it sound like 'and now theres even more!!'

Goofiness like ABC shows Disney dictates when it all happens... they don't need to be focusing on the 'very first day' - It's marketing.. they can focus on whatever they freaking want.

Tony the Tigger

Well, I have some figuring to do. Was planning a little trip around my bday 8/31, and our AP's expire 9/6.

Despite being an enormous Star Wars junkie, I'm not super excited about this land. I do not enjoy crazy crowds, and try to plan weekday trips during "slower" times.

We're taking a short trip end of April/early May. We're blocked out for all of June and July, plus the first week of August.

Now, if we go 8/29 and 8/30 and the crowds at the other parks are dead because everyone is at HS, that could be awesome. But I suspect that's not realistic, because more people are going to plan trips that week, and go to the other parks as well.

So the options are: keep the bday trip, focus more on resorts than parks - or - move the trip up earlier in August and have a quiet bday at home lol.

Cmdr_Crimson

Disney gets to dictate when all that happens.. and Disney does it on their terms... all in HIGHLY controlled manners. Disney even keeps the big stuff in house with ABC. Its just another form of PROMOTION - not reporting or real reviews. Disney can always run media through well before it's ready for the public. They did it with carsland... they did it for pandora.. and they'll continue to do it.
Annd then they did this for Star Tours.......

RobbinsDad

Because a good majority of people on this forum are eternally obsessed with being irrationally bitter at everything Disney does. They take being a fan way too seriously, almost borderline mental illness. They believe every move the company makes is a personal offence and that their sad lives are over because of said decision. Its why I have learned not to pay attention to their idiotic moaning and groaning all the time.
Oh come on, stop pretending that everyone here is either Sir Walter Raleigh or JT04. One can be critical of decisions while acknowledging moments of astuteness.

Patcheslee

I guess Disneyland is selling out all rooms already.

WDW is no doubt doing the same.
Campgrounds which had single night availability Aug 28th and Aug 29th are now unavailable. CBR went from all room type availability to Water view rooms and Pirate rooms only available. So there are some single night bookings so far. Single day ticket price is still $109 though lol

Nigelbfc

Not sure if this has been said but Disney are not delaying anything. Both lands are opening earlier esp WDW which was down for late fall so much earlier. I understand the people that booked September to avoid the crowds been upset but for the rest of us is not better to have the land and one E-ticket open months ahead of the predicted opening date than nothing at all. I live in the UK and booked April 2018 for October 2019 due to a fall opening date based on reading on forums like this one that the expected date would be October. So for one I am delighted I will get to see some of it if not all of it as I had all ready had come to terms with the land not been open.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
That’s because NFL was no Star Wars Land!
Maybe? It could also be that the headline attraction was stood there not able to be rode. Which, samesies.

While none of this is life altering stuff, if it was my theme park(it's not) I wouldn't be opening individual lands in phases. I am sure in the long term it won't matter one iota. But insofar as WDW is about showmanship, this is a half measure. The land will not feel complete until it's, well, complete.

Oh well, I have tried to get hired as head theme park guy for years. All I have to show for it is a heavily damaged trapper keeper and a restraining order that says I am not allowed within 500 yards of Flower Street. (Like a piece of paper could stop me, HA!)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom