News Star Wars Galaxy's Edge Disneyland opening reports/reviews

Rich T

So with all the recent reviews touching on the CMs placed in Batuu having 'attitude', being 'disinterested', and not behaving like a typical Disney CM is expected to by Guests, has anyone considered that quite possibly the Batuu Cast are simply 'playing their roles' in that particular area?

Think about it -
Batuu is supposed to be this somewhat shifty environment populated by scrupulous personalities from the fringes of the Galaxy...all based or passing through this 'outpost' in space.
Perhaps the Cast behavior ...the 'snark', 'dimssimness' and 'irritation' some are sensing with their interactions while visiting the land are all meant to be a part of the experience.

Something to consider.
;)

-
Great for a Ren Fair. Really bad for Disneyland.

Rich T

Everyone whines that they didn’t build Tatooine... everyone whines that it’s not colourful. Make up your damn minds.

I’m convinced anything Star Wars results in instant complaining no matter what.

Miserable people, please leave the thread. It’s getting ridiculous.
Just because people criticize something doesn't make them miserable. On this forum, it just makes them Disneyland fans. Disney just glommed a big huge, stinkin' pile of Star Wars onto the most famous, historic, and beloved theme park in the world. Of COURSE not everyone's going to love everything about it. If you don't want to hear any criticism, go to one of the brainless, drink-the-kool-aid slavish devotion Disney or SW fan sites.

Personally, I still think GE looks like an unappealing dump, and I'm not alone. This can and will be corrected with time as Disney realizes that, gee, not all of their millions of cross-generational customers are Star Wars worshippers who think walking around a dump is awesome just because it sells Blue Slop and $200 Glo-sticks.

Disney Analyst

Just because people criticize something doesn't make them miserable. On this forum, it just makes them Disneyland fans. Disney just glommed a big huge, stinkin' pile of Star Wars onto the most famous, historic, and beloved theme park in the world. Of COURSE not everyone's going to love everything about it. If you don't want to hear any criticism, go to one of the brainless, drink-the-kool-aid slavish devotion Disney or SW fan sites.

Personally, I still think GE looks like an unappealing dump, and I'm not alone. This can and will be corrected with time as Disney realizes that, gee, not all of their millions of cross-generational customers are Star Wars worshippers who think walking around a dump is awesome just because it sells Blue Slop and $200 Glo-sticks.

I welcome logical criticism. But people commenting on here are full of hyperbole, and contradictions.

And your reply to me was pretty miserable...

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
is there video of someone ordering a non slushi version? i would like to see how that looks. i have not heard that before. but still, the majority of guests can't get into the cantina due to 3 hour wait so it should be available at the main stand in the land since that is the one most people will be posting on their IG going "omg omg!! after all these years I finally get to have BLUE MILK!!! AAAAAAH!!!!" No, no you don't. that is not blue milk. that is slurpee son.

You realize that this is still the thread for people who've been to SWL and reporting their experience. Not the thread for you to challenge everything so that you can convince everyone to not like SWL, over and over and over again, right?

Anyway, here's you video...

PB Watermelon

Until Rise of the Resistance opens, I have the same feeling about Galaxy's Edge as I did when Toontown opened without Roger Rabbit's CarToon Spin. Just has this incomplete feeling. Looking forward to it opening (and actually working) as I love the Sequel Trilogy so far. So here's hoping. I'm not sure anybody has a valid grasp of the section yet...it's more like "Here's my opinion of the land so far". Until the pieces are all together, it's an incomplete puzzle.

Jones14

Big agree, I only wish it had more life besides the com voices.

Would love to see the entire Hondo plot removed and replaced by a straight Resistance storyline. Then have an X Wing in the queue being worked on by droids/aliens who talk to each other.
I think that would run the risk of redundancy, with Rise going in next door.

Bob Harlem

I was out in LA this past week and got a chance to go tag along with someone with a reservation, it's a lot more crowded now than the early reports was the first thing I noticed. Disneyland in general, whatever slowness was there at the beginning is gone. I'm curious what happens tomorrow.

The land is a home run for Disney, but not a grand slam. The theming is great, Smuggler's Run is really fun, but is more like star tours than I would have hoped, with buttons. If you aren't enamored with the "Wow Millennium Falcon" aspect it probably won't do as much for you. However if you love Han Solo and the Falcon, it's flat out amazing. THe popcorn props in the smuggler's queue thing is puzzling. The blue milk was pretty bad, I didn't care for it at all. One and done.

I did not get a chance to go through Olga's Cantina (wait/reservation was too much) but I did go into the droid workshop, which was fun. I did not shell out for the light sabers, actually, didn't buy anything other than the blue milk. I did spend a lot of time looking at the various hidden details and admiring the general land more than anything. The rest of the park was pretty busy that day too, but the day was a bit compressed so I didn't really get as much a chance to look at it. I really had to squeeze it in to do it at all that day, but I'm glad I did.

Overall after thinking about it more, I think it's a great hit, but I really felt the lack of Rise of Resistance missing, especially since Smuggler's only felt like a minor improvement over Star Tours. However, the tone that kept it from being a grand slam is it the land feels more geared toward what Disney wants Star Wars fans to like rather than what the classic Star Wars fans wants organically.

Last edited:

ThistleMae

Fully anticipating tomorrow's reviews when SWGE opens to everyone! I think this will give us a tell of how it will be at WDW. Although now they are doing the special preview for annual pass-holders, so we shall also see how that plays out. No official date yet for that, so waiting yet again for the news! Always waiting for something aren't we. But...I love the boards, including the criticisms, as everyone has an opinion. I think the boards would be pretty boring if everyone was in "love" with everything Disney. That being said, I am in love with everything Disney, even if I think some things were not well thought out. It's still the most magical vacation I go on.

mickEblu

Same here. The only thing I bought from my trip was a pin haha. I don't have the the time to become a superfan and study every single things Star Wars related

I bought a couple attraction specific magnets, a couple coke bottles and a Rex POP. The POP wasn’t available in Galaxies Edge though.

NateD1226

I bought a couple attraction specific magnets, a couple coke bottles and a Rex POP. The POP wasn’t available in Galaxies Edge though.
You got lucky with the Coke bottles. There weren't giving those out during the CM previews. I also bought a Leia Magnet. I am not too big with Star Wars POPs. I like the ones based off the animation movies the best.

mickEblu

You got lucky with the Coke bottles. There weren't giving those out during the CM previews. I also bought a Leia Magnet. I am not too big with Star Wars POPs. I like the ones based off the animation movies the best.

Well Rex is really just a Disney Parks POP in Star Wars clothing. It’s the only “Star Wars” POP I own.

TiggerDad

We are back from Batuu and I have a few observations to add. We booked the 8 am time slot to have three hours without overlap, as opposed to the middle slots where you overlap on both ends. After checking in at Launch Bay (they only carded the prime reservation holder) around 6:20, we lined up by the Matterhorn until 7:45. That put us close to the front of the scrum, but still behind a lot of people. We were then marched all the way across the park to the middle entrance, then divided into cantina and lightsaber routes. I got in line for the Cantina, and we were in at 8:35. We could have taken a reservation to come back later, but opted to do that first. We ordered a variety of drinks and snack mix. It’s hard to tell in the still photo, but the second drink had some kind of chemical reaction going that caused the berries to churn and the whole thing to steam. Sorry, not sure which one that was. There were several critters hanging out in tanks above the bar, and when we asked who they were, we were told they were laying the eggs that were in the drinks.
DSC01532.JPG
DSC01535.JPG
DSC01527.JPG

We rode the Falcon three times in order to experience each of the positions. We had six in our group so could trade off internally to make that happen. The first time was 25 minute wait, but by the third time around 10:30 it was a walk-on into the Hondo room. There is a lot of background noise and announcements in the queue, which really seemed to add to the atmosphere. It didn’t seem repetitive, so I’m not sure how many things they have. We were really rushed through the Chess room after the first time, when we were able to get a photo. I hadn’t really thought about this until that night, but the second time we were in the ADA pod. I didn’t see anyone who needed it, so they were running regular guests through there as well to keep the lines moving. The only thing different was the corridor in, the elevator right at the exit, and then at the end of the ride, there was an added video clip where a rathtar attached itself to the outside of the Falcon and had to be removed. This must be something they’ve added to provide additional time, but I’m not sure how that would help, as we were still locked in and not going anywhere. Overall, the ride was nice, but I wouldn’t want to wait more than 45 minutes for it, especially with only a 1/3 chance of being a pilot. The other two positions are worthless – lots of button pushing that only serves to distract from watching the action. I picked manual mode as a gunner but saw no difference on which button I pushed. One comment I had about the queue was the back side of the Falcon really looked fake when you got up close. That was disappointing. The front was breathtaking when you see the whole thing, but not the back and details.
DSC01540.JPG

Our two little ones built droids, maybe a 20-30 minute wait by the time we got in line just before they let in the 11:00 crowds. It was cool to watch the parade of people being led in by a bunch of CMs to keep them in line. Everyone was so excited to be there. The droid experience was a mess. We did one BB unit and one R-2 unit ($99 each). Only one person could watch each builder, so the other two had to watch from across the room. There was little help and assembly was a mess. The BB unit wouldn’t work, so they had to swap out a bunch of parts and redo a lot of the assembly. It continues to fall apart occasionally in my living room. Oh, and they were out of some of the accessories, including the personality chips. Thoughtfully, they said we could come back later for those. Yeah, we have to leave because our time is up and there’s no telling when we’ll be back since we are from out East. That whole fiasco probably took 45 minutes in addition to the line.

We quickly walked around the rest of the land. Dok Ondar’s looked really cool and I would have liked more time there. I liked the marketplace stalls and Ronto Roasters, but both of those were just a quick walk-through for us since we devoted our time to the cantina, Falcon and droids. We walked out through the forest to Critter Country, and that area seemed really neat. Can’t wait for that ride to open and have a reason to spend more time there.
DSC01586.JPG

There were stormtroopers walking through the land the whole time, asking people for their identification, and asking them what they were doing on their datapad (phone). We saw a lot of fun interactions there. Chewie and Rey were also out at times; never saw Kylo or Vi. As others have said, the casting for Rey is impressive. I had to do a double-take to make sure it wasn’t Daisy Ridley. She and Chewie both talked to my girls for a while, and we got lots of pictures. We overstayed our time by over an hour and no one tried to toss us, but we also didn’t try to do anything beyond wandering and pictures during the extra time. Oh and buying the sodas that look like thermal detonators.
DSC01588.JPG

Overall, it was a great experience. I think having special ticketing procedures was phenomenal for crowd control, but also for ensuring the people there were fans who wanted to be there. It will be interesting to see what tomorrow brings, and the next few months as more casual fans show up. The current headliners (cantina, Falcon ride, expensive saber, droids) were not the best parts; it was the little things and the entire atmosphere. We will be back once the other ride opens, probably in Florida since that’s closer for us.

mickEblu

Just realized I accidentally posted this in the other Star Wars Land thread....

So I finally rode Falcon yesterday and predictably (as i know myself after 36 years) it was a lot fun. I'm sure my rock bottom expectations helped with that. Granted, I was the pilot. I actually rode three times. Did Pilot twice (left and right) and gunner. I actually did only Star Wars rides yesterday. Falcon, Hyperspace Mountain and Star Tours. Almost took the monorail into TL to get our wristbands but it "broke down" while I was sitting inside of it. Something to do with the AC i think. Sucks too, i was looking forward to it as I mostly use it to leave the park.

Anyway, I wanted to ride Falcon and Star Tours on the same day so I could compare them properly with the ride experiences fresh on my mind. Its funny how expectations work. My expectations for the ride experience were pretty low and my expectations of the Q were higher so naturally I was pretty much underwhelmed with the Falcon Q. The Hondo AA was impressive but by the second time in the pre show room, I was bored and not even listening to him. The chess room area was nice but they were moving people through there pretty quick yesterday. I have no idea how there are 4 different areas with 6 pods each. To me it felt like 2 different areas with 2 pods each. With that said i wasn't really trying to make sense of the layout when i was in there. Oh ya, the Falcon nestled into those mountains outside looked pretty damn cool.

My first ride was as the right pilot and I was pleasantly surprised with how much freedom they gave you to actually move it around. There was a bit of a delay though so i found myself kind of toggling back and forth between up and down. It worked pretty well for the most part. I will say the lightspeed is kind of lame and needs more of a jolt which i know is possible because other parts of the ride are much more exciting. The visuals were quite impressive for a video game and didn't impact my ride experience at all. It makes sense now why that didn't seem to be as much of a complaint in most reviews. You are so focused on your task that you don’t have time to analyze that stuff. I think the most exciting part of the ride is around the middle ****** SPOILER AHEAD (for the next 3 lines)******
where you go crashing down to the ground head first after the train. I would have liked for more of that kind of movement. Most of the ride is relatively tame but pretty smooth, fun and enjoyable. I also enjoy the end where Chewie takes the control to fly us back in. That and my favorite part I mentioned above is more what I expected for a ride on the Millenium Falcon.

So my first time riding, I did Ok but we only got one container of coaxial. The second ride however I was MONEY. I got two containers of coaxial and my gunners and engineers ( who had rode multiple times) said it was the highest score they ever got. Only hit a couple things and had much more fun as the left pilot. Partly because I had gotten the hang of it, partly because i felt that moving the ship left-right was more fun and partly because the crew on that ride was really into it. The crew really does make a big difference. Never really experienced camaraderie on a Disney attraction before.

The Gunner role is hot garbage. I tried to pick manual and didn't do it in time and was stuck with Auto. Just lame and my finger got tired pressing that button. Ride is still fun-ish i guess but not enough when you know how much more fun it is to be the pilot. I'm curious to see what makes the engineer role better than the gunner.

So bottom line I thought it was a fun ride. I don't think I'll ever wait more than an hour for it (esp if its not to be the pilot) but that's the case with most rides. The fact that they can keep rolling out new missions will keep it fresh. If they can find a way to make the non pilots roles more exciting (move the buttons or something) and a little more movement to the ride that would go a long way.

So I ended up riding Star Tours later that night. Let me start by saying, i rarely ride Star Tours. Its fine for a simualator ride but if i only have 6 hours at DLR I'm going with either rides i can take my 3 year old on or rides like Splash, Space, BTMRR, POTC and HM. I got Hoth and Naboo for i think just the second time each so that made it fun not knowing what was going to happen. I prefer the movement in Star Tours to Falcon but the scenes are so slapped together because of the randomness of the ride that it never really comes together for me. In addition i find the most fun scenes in Falcon to be more fun than Star Tours even their are fewer of them. I hate that middle predictable breather scene where Leia or whoever else talks to you. Also, i was surprised to find that the visuals on Star Tours aren't as great as i thought and i might prefer Falcon in that category, video game and all. After riding Falcon, they looked kind of dark and grainy to me (maybe the 3D). So being that that the visuals aren't great (and also look CGI/ cartoony) and I don't particularly care for the pace/ flow of the ride, Falcon is superior to me. The intimacy of the cockpit is great and so is the close proximity to the screen, especially if you re the pilot. Not to mention the interactivity. With that said, in no way do i find Star Tours obsolete. The Q theming is so different and far more interesting than Falcon and the fact that they don't have to stick to Ep 7-9 should keep the attraction around for a while. Of course I think Star Tours 1.0 is better than the lot, if my memory serves me correct and my glasses aren’t too rosy.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom