News Star Wars Galaxy's Edge Disneyland opening reports/reviews

truecoat

I have to assume this is part of it. Disneyland gets the rap of being a "locals" park for a pretty good reason, being the high amount of APs that go to the park regularly (disclosure: I count myself among that group). With everyone essentially blacked out, it puts more of an onus on single-day tickets, and Disney is probably discovering that their single-day prices are finally past the break-even point for a good amount of people. It's something I've always wondered, especially as they've raised ticket prices over the years. AP prices have gone up, but regular ticket prices continued to do so as well so that your average break-even on the AP usually stayed at the same number of trips. But instead, Disney had this situation where they've offered so many various discounts (APs, the SoCal park hopper deal) that locals never feel the need to pay full-price anymore, which hurts the attendance numbers when you have a situation like this.

I'd also say that Disney's campaign of "no seriously, it's going to be incredibly crowded" worked way too well. The whole reservation system into boarding groups created a situation that had to drive people away, as it set up a mental image of a slammed resort. Obviously that's not the case, but Disney did not prepare for the result.

And then you throw in more general things like the land not being completely done, and the general lower attendance phenomenon that has been happening for a few summers now, and you end up with this situation. I wouldn't be surprised if Disney opened up some of the AP floodgates in a few weeks, and for things to be back to packed by the middle of August.

One thing a DL trip needs if you aren't a local is planning, vacation planning. I was planning on going over the July 4th week/weekend until I heard ROTR wasn't going to be open and I scrapped it. I'm only going once this year and I'm not going until the signature ride is open.

Another thing is locals who don't have annual passes could possibly have had the discounted SoCal tickets and if they aren't huge SW fans, why would they spend more money on a place they were just at, one that was crowded to the gills.

mikejs78

Premium Member
That's all undoubtedly true - but the reason they cleared the parks of nearly all AP's and employees and their guests was to allow the full price day/multi day guests to fill the parks being driven by the new land and attraction.

Your point is exactly why the situation is so problematic - if they can only get the same guests and AP's that they got last year with SWGE than the hundreds of million dollars investment will never generate a return. It only generates that level of incremental profit by driving much higher attendance and a mix away from AP's, which granted it's only a few days and the new ride isn't open yet, has not proven to be the case.

Yes, Disney can open the blackouts and be right back to where they were last year with crowded parks full of discounted admission, but they didn't need to spend hundreds of millions to do that. THAT is why there is panic in Anaheim tonight.
I don't think it's even that's. Disney got greedy. I had no idea a 1 day non park hopper ticket was $149. I think they expected everyone to just pay. When they raised the peak price from $135 to $149 that may have been the point where they passed people's willingness to pay. I think there's a psychological point of $149 where it just seems too expensive for a single day at Disneyland. Disney got greedy and now it's hurting them.

mickEblu

Okay, here we go kids!

I had resigned myself to the fact that I wasn't going to bother with Star Wars Land until the fall sometime. But then this week the Great Star Wars Flop of 2019 happened and we've been talking for days about how the parks are dead and E Tickets are a walk-on and there's not even crowds in Star Wars Land. So after a very successful nap this afternoon, at 7:00pm I hailed an Uber and went to Disneyland!

This is not good for TDA or major shareholders, but for people who bought a ticket like myself it's great.... Disneyland was DEAD! I got dropped off on Harbor Blvd at 7:25 and waltzed right in with no waits for bag checks or ticket turnstiles. I was standing in the Town Square 5 minutes after my Uber dropped me off. I went straight back to Star Wars Land via Frontierland, as I always thought that center entrance is the one WDI designed to be the main entrance.

Here is my review of Star Wars Land Galaxy's Edge, in my favorite format of The Good, The Bad, The Ugly and The Funny.

The Good - In the summer twilight the land was drop dead gorgeous upon entry, not because it's pretty (it's actually designed to be ugly) but in that light the rocks and textures and patina just looked fabulous. I bee-lined to Millennium Falcon: Target Run with a posted wait time of 30 minutes, but the wait was actually half that including the pre-show. The queue and pre-show are Tokyo DisneySea-esque in their scale and size and detail, and that's a good thing. Being a Confirmed Bachelor, I was placed with a perky-perky family of 5 who actually turned out to be fun and were visiting from British Columbia. I was happy to sit in the back while the kids drove and Mom and Dad beamed proudly. I gamely punched buttons that did nothing. The ride was impressive technically, but really it's just a more intimate Star Tours 2.0. I imagine if they had this tech available (and the huge amount of space required to build it in the old Monsanto ride) in the 1980's that this is what Star Tours would have been all along; flying the Millennium Falcon. I ended up doing this ride three times, once more almost immediately and then a third time a few hours later at the end of the night. I give it an A-. But after this evening's three rides, I can pass on this one for quite some time. Done and done, thanks.

Sightlines inside the land are excellent. You really do feel like you are somewhere else, somewhere foreign, not in a theme park.

The uniforms the CM's are wearing are fantastic. They obviously spent a lot of money on this, and the kids staffing this land tonight looked great! Again, the complexity of the uniforms reminded me of Tokyo DisneySea uniforms. Bravo!

The scale reminded me of New Orleans Square, in a good way. The land is obviously designed to hold huge crowds, but they've created all these interesting alleys and nooks and crannies and courtyards. I just happily wandered for half an hour, and enjoyed getting lost in Disneyland for the first time.

After my second Falcon flight I just started wandering through the land. It was getting dark and the lights had turned on and the land was morphing into an equally stunning aesthetic version of itself at night. I ended up in Ronto's Roasters and was just peckish enough to order the Turkey Jerky and a "Sour Sarlacc", which were both surprisingly good. Detailing both inside and outside of all of these shops and restaurants was really well done! Someone did their homework.

The Bad - The Cantina looked like a mess. The land had barely anyone in it almost everywhere, although there was a small crowd outside the Cantina, not unlike what you'd find at any Outback Steakhouse in America. I craned to get a look inside the joint and the hostesses working what appeared to be the hostess stand were just a mess, crabbing at each other and snapping at people coming up to check in for their reservation. Those girls would never cut it at Outback. Yikes. Why can't Disneyland offer service at their food locations that is above the level of an Arby's on a good day? The shops were almost entirely empty, with no one shopping inside, bored CM's chatting with each other at cashwraps. I checked out Droid Depot, passed on spending 100 bucks on a hunk of Chinese plastic, and marveled at the prices on the kitchen accessories they were selling on a back wall. They have kitchen accessories?!? One cool thing that caught my eye was an R2D2 steel mixing bowl, but when I picked it up and flipped it over it had a price tag of $75 and was made in Communist China. No thanks, I will survive with my brand new All-Clad steel mixing bowls that were made in Pittsburgh instead.

The Ugly - The land feels... cold and lifeless. During my first visit from about 7:45 through the fireworks ending at 9:45, the land was lightly populated. I returned to the land just after 11:00pm and the land was EMPTY. I saw two Stormtroopers wandering around bored, and lots of basic CM's staring at nothing or talking to their friends at their empty snack bars or shop entrances, but there was no life to the place. It felt like someone forgot to turn on the music at a party. It probably doesn't help that the land was designed for thousands of people but is currently abandoned, but from 9:45 until 11:00pm I went back into the rest of Disneyland which was equally uncrowded but it still felt lively and upbeat and fun, plus I got on several major E Ticket rides with absolutely no wait and was surrounded by tourists who were having the time of their lives at Disneyland with no lines. But when I went back into Star Wars Land at 11:15pm and it was even less crowded, what little energy it did have had long since drained away. The land looks great at night aesthetically, with obvious attention paid to lighting and art direction, but there's no life to the place. It's cold and dead, especially without crowds of happy tourists and busy CM's.

What's even worse, I never saw Chewbacca. :(

The Funny - At 9:30 I had been in the land for two hours and was ready to leave when BOOM! the fireworks started right overhead. This family with Aussie accents were watching near me on this raised patio area and all of a sudden the Mom says "What the bloody hell, where's the bloody music for these fireworks?!?" I considered trying to explain it to her, but instead I just slunked off down the stairs and watched the silent fireworks from around the corner. After my 90 minute break inside the rest of Disneyland where literally every ride had a 5 minute posted wait and were all walk-ons (I walked out the Critter Country entrance past the forgotten Resistance ride and rode Splash, Pirates, Indy and Matterhorn in just over an hour), I went back to Star Wars Land where the Falcon ride looked abandoned. The two girls at the entrance smiled at me and I asked how long the wait was and the one girl said "You look like you've got spunk, you'll probably make it to the ship in 5 minutes". Bravo to her for having a personality! And yeah, it was a five minute wait. The App still claimed it was 30 minutes though.

In short, it was a wildly successful four hour trip to Disneyland. Worth every penny as I now don't need to go back to Star Wars Land for quite some time. If you are in SoCal and have the ability to get to Anaheim, this week would be an excellent time to visit Disneyland. The place is a ghost town!!!

On my ride home, my Uber driver told me he has been shocked how slow the business has been in the Resort District. He said there's usually more ride hails than cars available in Anaheim especially this time of year, but right now the business is just gone and he's been focusing on the bar traffic in Newport Beach instead. Something is definitely going on here, and it's weird. Where is everybody???

P.S. Always tip your Uber driver!

Wait a minute, are you telling me you never piloted the ship and let the moppets from Utah do it instead!?

Last edited:

Jeremy Geertsema

Do they really think this bring a friend deal is gonna bring in hoards of people? People are already paying premium prices, are they gonna shell out another $100 just to visit GE?

Stripes

The Ugly - The land feels... cold and lifeless. During my first visit from about 7:45 through the fireworks ending at 9:45, the land was lightly populated. I returned to the land just after 11:00pm and the land was EMPTY. I saw two Stormtroopers wandering around bored, and lots of basic CM's staring at nothing or talking to their friends at their empty snack bars or shop entrances, but there was no life to the place. It felt like someone forgot to turn on the music at a party. It probably doesn't help that the land was designed for thousands of people but is currently abandoned, but from 9:45 until 11:00pm I went back into the rest of Disneyland which was equally uncrowded but it still felt lively and upbeat and fun, plus I got on several major E Ticket rides with absolutely no wait and was surrounded by tourists who were having the time of their lives at Disneyland with no lines. But when I went back into Star Wars Land at 11:15pm and it was even less crowded, what little energy it did have had long since drained away. The land looks great at night aesthetically, with obvious attention paid to lighting and art direction, but there's no life to the place. It's cold and dead, especially without crowds of happy tourists and busy CM's.
I understand why they went with the direction they did (and the sound design in the land really is incredible) but adding some BGM would go a long way I think. I even think it’s reasonable to think that the outpost area should have music playing, story wise.

Axoman

The Ugly - The land feels... cold and lifeless... It's cold and dead, especially without crowds of happy tourists and busy CM's.

Is there no atmosphere music? I thought when cast preview people were posting their reviews they talked about the music and sounds of ships flying/battling overhead. Is that not there anymore?

Stripes

Is there no atmosphere music? I thought when cast preview people were posting their reviews they talked about the music and sounds of ships flying/battling overhead. Is that not there anymore?
There are noises of ships and creatures around (all extremely well done), but I didn’t hear any orchestral music. I think adding some BGM would really lighten up the place.

ProjectXBlog

There is a little atmospheric music, but only when you’re entering the land. as soon as you’re through the entrance “tunnel” the only ambient sound is the occasional spaceship zooming overhead

choco choco

Welp, a lil' poster on "The other Disneyland site" has posted a story that Bob Chapek cut most of the interactive, live action elements that was supposed to make Galaxy's Edge completely alive. Creatures and droids were supposed to roam the land, stunt shows were supposed to spread out across roof tops, actors would interact with guests. Everything was cut to avoid paying professional performers' scale wages and a plan where basic CM's would be asked to recite phony lines and play "roles" was substituted instead.

I'll let everyone go read it over there. What I want to address is that this explains some of the design choices that I thought was weird for Galaxy's Edge. Namely, why is there an elevation change in the middle of the land? Meaning, to reach the Millenium Falcon through the middle route, you have to go up some stairs and then down some stairs. Why? And I think Ronto's Roasters and Docking Bay 7 are in the wrong location. It makes much more sense for the eateries to be lined along major walkways and have their terraces spilling out onto them, it gives a European cafe feel that spreads a lot of energy and entices visitors to go in and eat.

Plus, Ronto at the eastern edge of the Marketplace feels wrong. You go from a a low slung bazaar with awnings and wires all over, and you open up into this bare rotunda with high ceilings. The pathway you were on that was full of bric-a-brac stacked to the rafters suddenly gives way to exposed, empty walls? It makes much more sense that Dok-Ondar's would be in that location, since its chandeliers and multiple levels of stuff would be at one with the Marketplace aesthetic.

But if you wanted people to eat and be able to watch a rooftop show at the same time, Aaaah! now it makes sense why you would put the two food locations up an elevated terrace. The views that hit you smack dab as you walk out these two shops give a nice elevated view of the skyline.

Here's what you see from inside Ronto's looking out. Credit to ResortTV1 where I took the screenshot from, and I placed an arrow for emphasis.

And another one on the gorgeous north terrace outside Docking Bay 7 looking at a wide open plaza beside the Falcon and with a good view of the uninterrupted view of the cliffs.

My guess is that Imagineering intended for the food stuffs to be somewhat isolated from the hullabaloo designed to be going on below (kinda like a respite or safe zone) while giving them a lookout spot for people-watching below and show activity above (thus enticing people up). It's an interesting, well-thought out design choice that now looks fully neutered and leaves the Ronto's, Dok-Ondar and Bay 7 stops feel weirdly out of rhythm.

TP2000

Wait a minute, are you telling me you never piloted the ship and let the moppets from Utah do it instead!?

The moppets were from British Columbia. But.... yeah. :oops:

First flight I sat in back. Second flight I was Left Pilot with a college girl as Right Pilot and her relatives sat in back just talking to each other, but she and I didn't do so hot. Third flight at the end of the night I sat in back again and didn't push a darn button as I just wanted to watch the ride do its thing and marvel at the Star Tours Meets Carousel of Progress ride system.

Because the wait times ranged from 5 to 15 minutes and I knew I'd do this thing at least a few times over the course of the evening, I really didn't care.

TP2000

How wet did you get on Splash Mountain?

I sat in the very back row and had the whole log to myself. Splash Mt. was a total walk-on and they were sending out empty logs when I wandered into the loading area.

I only got festively splashed, but nothing serious, and my hair and Summer Resort Casual attire still looked great as I left. :cool:

I heard no music in the land, except for a few bars and some jingling as I walked in the middle entry tunnel. The rest of the time I didn't register any sounds except the occasional fake spaceship zoom (which was clever), and fake steam and clanking in Ronto's Roasters. When I exited the land via the Critter Country trestle, you could really hear jingle-jangles and weird sound effects in the trees and shrubs, but it was also dead quiet there because that end was nearly devoid of people as I walked out.

The_Mesh_Hatter

I think two operational changes will happen during this first summer:

1. The land’s entrances need signage. Currently, the Big Thunder Trail has trail signs for Frontierland and Fantasyland, but GE is unmarked. I heard guests today wondering what was down that path, but ultimately continuing on to Frontierland since there was no indication a land was back there.

2. New muzak incorporating John’s Williams familiar melodies with unique instrumentals. The lack of the classic themes is a common complaint.

smile

I heard no music aside from the cantina. I've been told there is more music, but I didn't hear anything. I heard John Williams' suite would be played at the entrance, but all I heard was jingling noises.

there's a roving string quartet...
but they normally duck out before the land even closes, cheeky buggers

my hair and Summer Resort Casual attire still looked great as I left.

surely

1. The land’s entrances need signage. Currently, the Big Thunder Trail has trail signs for Frontierland and Fantasyland, but GE is unmarked. I heard guests today wondering what was down that path, but ultimately continuing on to Frontierland since there was no indication a land was back there.

giphy.gif

2. ...The lack of the classic _____________

sounds about right

Stripes

Welp, a lil' poster on "The other Disneyland site" has posted a story that Bob Chapek cut most of the interactive, live action elements that was supposed to make Galaxy's Edge completely alive. Creatures and droids were supposed to roam the land, stunt shows were supposed to spread out across roof tops, actors would interact with guests. Everything was cut to avoid paying professional performers' scale wages and a plan where basic CM's would be asked to recite phony lines and play "roles" was substituted instead.

I'll let everyone go read it over there. What I want to address is that this explains some of the design choices that I thought was weird for Galaxy's Edge. Namely, why is there an elevation change in the middle of the land? Meaning, to reach the Millenium Falcon through the middle route, you have to go up some stairs and then down some stairs. Why? And I think Ronto's Roasters and Docking Bay 7 are in the wrong location. It makes much more sense for the eateries to be lined along major walkways and have their terraces spilling out onto them, it gives a European cafe feel that spreads a lot of energy and entices visitors to go in and eat.

Plus, Ronto at the eastern edge of the Marketplace feels wrong. You go from a a low slung bazaar with awnings and wires all over, and you open up into this bare rotunda with high ceilings. The pathway you were on that was full of bric-a-brac stacked to the rafters suddenly gives way to exposed, empty walls? It makes much more sense that Dok-Ondar's would be in that location, since its chandeliers and multiple levels of stuff would be at one with the Marketplace aesthetic.

But if you wanted people to eat and be able to watch a rooftop show at the same time, Aaaah! now it makes sense why you would put the two food locations up an elevated terrace. The views that hit you smack dab as you walk out these two shops give a nice elevated view of the skyline.

Here's what you see from inside Ronto's looking out. Credit to ResortTV1 where I took the screenshot from, and I placed an arrow for emphasis.
View attachment 384561

And another one on the gorgeous north terrace outside Docking Bay 7 looking at a wide open plaza beside the Falcon and with a good view of the uninterrupted view of the cliffs.
View attachment 384591
My guess is that Imagineering intended for the food stuffs to be somewhat isolated from the hullabaloo designed to be going on below (kinda like a respite or safe zone) while giving them a lookout spot for people-watching below and show activity above (thus enticing people up). It's an interesting, well-thought out design choice that now looks fully neutered and leaves the Ronto's, Dok-Ondar and Bay 7 stops feel weirdly out of rhythm.
Word from @marni1971 is that atmospheric elements are still being worked on.
There have been cuts in particular to some of the more atmospherical elements.

There should still be some streetmosphere. And airmosphere. Maybe.

Imagineer Dave Fischer told Attractions magazine that the roaming droids are ready to go, just waiting to be deployed until there are smaller crowds. TDA/WDI, I think we're good for launch.

TP2000

Imagineer Dave Fischer told Attractions magazine that the roaming droids are ready to go, just waiting to be deployed until there are smaller crowds. TDA/WDI, I think we're good for launch.

That's cute that an Imagineer would stick to his corporate script when being interviewed for an industry publication, but it's quite obvious one month later that his excuse is bull pucky. And it's an excuse that looks increasingly stupid to cling to with each passing day in Star Wars Land.

Here's a photo from two hours ago in front of the Falcon ride, peak afternoon crowds. This looks twice as busy as it was when I was there last night.

D-F9f5GW4AE9pZ9.jpg:large

You will never get a Disney theme park to be less crowded than this, so if this is "too crowded" for WDI to deploy their allegedly fabulous interactive droids into the land, then the project to do so was a huge sham and giant fraud. Waiting for "crowds to die down" before they do cool stuff is the lamest excuse they could use when the crowds never showed up to begin with.

Hawg G

That's cute that an Imagineer would stick to his corporate script when being interviewed for an industry publication, but it's quite obvious one month later that his excuse is bull pucky. And it's an excuse that looks increasingly stupid to cling to with each passing day in Star Wars Land.

Here's a photo from two hours ago in front of the Falcon ride, peak afternoon crowds. This looks twice as busy as it was when I was there last night.

You will never get a Disney theme park to be less crowded than this, so if this is "too crowded" for WDI to deploy their allegedly fabulous interactive droids into the land, then the project to do so was a huge sham and giant fraud. Waiting for "crowds to die down" before they do cool stuff is the lamest excuse they could use when the crowds never showed up to begin with.

Remember when we all laughed at the crazy pictures showing a near empty land, with a few families enjoying it?

britain

In all fairness, Dave probably meant, "The droids won't be needed during the big crowds, so we are withdrawing any operating budget from them until a later quarter." He's not saying that the droids are waiting in the wings. He's avoiding a crass way of saying that the money to operate them has been cut for the immediate future. The new reality regarding light crowds doesn't change that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom