News Star Wars Galaxy's Edge Disneyland opening reports/reviews

Mickeyboof

If you don't put ships behind fences, you got people climbing on them. Those ships will be ruined within weeks.

Oh come on, this again?!?

I still don’t understand why toon town can be literally crawled upon and scaled but a droid has to be protected by lock and key.

There are so many bored cast members leaning on walls in Galaxy’s Edge, it would take nothing to just have one positioned near a place like the droids. Or have a photopass near the droids. Then a firm “don’t climb that” can be said IF a dumb child decides to climb on something.

Kids don’t climb on the Cars in Cars Land. What’s the difference?

I just can’t believe anyone thinks that the ships and droids would be destroyed in weeks. It’s laughable.

Phroobar

Oh come on, this again?!?

I still don’t understand why toon town can be literally crawled upon and scaled but a droid has to be protected by lock and key.

There are so many bored cast members leaning on walls in Galaxy’s Edge, it would take nothing to just have one positioned near a place like the droids. Or have a photopass near the droids. Then a firm “don’t climb that” can be said IF a dumb child decides to climb on something.

Kids don’t climb on the Cars in Cars Land. What’s the difference?

I just can’t believe anyone thinks that the ships and droids would be destroyed in weeks. It’s laughable.
There are no static Cars in Cars Land. The ones that come out have a huge group of CM handlers. No one touches them. Toon Town props are designed with smooth surfaces and heavy paint to keep it from chipping. They are designed to be played with. The X-wing and A-wing are not built that way. It makes sense to put a barrier between static props and guests. That is why every prop in every queue is just out of reach or nailed down. People destroy things out of boredom. Case in point, I saw teenagers tagging the brand new queue at Calico River Rapids at Knotts within days of opening. A X-Wing is a temping play thing to climb on for both kids and adults. They will try to climb in the cockpit, pull pieces off or just tag it. Even at conventions, big props are always behind ropes. Why pay a cast member to guard a prop when a fence can do the same thing?

Mickeyboof

There are no static Cars in Cars Land. The ones that come out have a huge group of CM handlers. No one touches them. Toon Town props are designed with smooth surfaces and heavy paint to keep it from chipping. They are designed to be played with. The X-wing and A-wing are not built that way. It makes sense to put a barrier between static props and guests. That is why every prop in every queue is just out of reach or nailed down. People destroy things out of boredom. Case in point, I saw teenagers tagging the brand new queue Calico River Rapids at Knotts within days of opening. A X-Wing is a temping play thing to climb on for both kids and adults. They will try to climb in the cockpit, pull pieces off or just tag it. Even at conventions, big props are always behind ropes.

Tagging an X-Wing ?

Okay.

Again, the bored CMs could do their jobs and monitor spaces with props.

But, oh well. This star wars adventure has been sponsored by Orange County Pools and Fencing!

Phroobar

Tagging an X-Wing ?

Okay.

Again, the bored CMs could do their jobs and monitor spaces with props.

But, oh well. This star wars adventure has been sponsored by Orange County Pools and Fencing!
The problem is cast members won't. They can't catch everyone. I've seen kids climbing on things that could get themselves hurt or even killed while their stupid parents stare at their phones. I've seen a dozen kids play king of the hill on the raised planter wall below in Space Mountain queue with not one cast member doing anything about it. There were hundreds of people watching these kids potentially get hurt. One kid was even using those lights as a fireman's pole.

P2292503.JPG

Besides I don't see the point, a guest can still stand in front of the ship and have the barrier out of their picture view. Why do they need to climb on it or touch it?

Mickeyboof

The problem is cast members won't. They can't catch everyone. I've seen kids climbing on things that could get themselves hurt or even killed while their stupid parents stare at their phones. I've seen a dozen kids play king of the hill on the raised planter wall below in Space Mountain queue with not one cast member doing anything about it. There were hundreds of people watching these kids potentially get hurt. One kid was even using those lights as a fireman's pole.

P2292503.JPG

Besides I don't see the point, a guest can still stand in front of the ship and have the barrier out of their picture view. Why do they need to climb on it or touch it?

Because pictures mean nothing. Pictures? Come on. Why build this place for pictures.

Professortango1

I’m with you. I think Wizarding World is overrated. As far as IP-based lands go, maybe it’s the best. I don’t know. I personally prefer Pandora and Cars Land, but I’m admittedly biased towards Disney. SW:GE arguably has less kinetic energy than all of those lands. Where’s the legendary SW music?

Little things in Cars Land like the folksy music or Lightning McQueen (or Mater) “driving” down the street make a big difference. There’s something to listen to, and some sort of kinetic action that you want to see. SW:GE is painstakingly static. The land truly is well themed, so it can be fixed. I just don’t know if Disney under Bob & Bob will commit to doing so.

Unless you've been to Diagon Alley, then you don't have a full view of what Universal has accomplished. I'm not a huge Harry Potter fan by any means, but I spent hours in that land just exploring and having a blast.

I think one of Disney's biggest mistakes was making the walkways in GE so dang wide. One of my favourite spots in USO is the collection of New York alleyways over by Transformers/The Mummy.

GE should have had a "main street" and everything else should have been little alleys and alcoves to explore like NOS. They could have even had some TSI elements with stairs/lofts that kids could climb and explore and eavesdrop on the nefarious deeds of unseen citizens. The forest should be two smaller paths with some caves and elevation changes. Make me feel like I'm running around in a forest. Give me interactive elements to play with like TSI and ToonTown.

Mickeyboof

Unless you've been to Diagon Alley, then you don't have a full view of what Universal has accomplished. I'm not a huge Harry Potter fan by any means, but I spent hours in that land just exploring and having a blast.

I think one of Disney's biggest mistakes was making the walkways in GE so dang wide. One of my favourite spots in USO is the collection of New York alleyways over by Transformers/The Mummy.

GE should have had a "main street" and everything else should have been little alleys
and alcoves to explore like NOS. They could have even had some TSI elements with stairs/lofts that kids could climb and explore and eavesdrop on the nefarious deeds of unseen citizens. The forest should be two smaller paths with some caves and elevation changes. Make me feel like I'm running around in a forest. Give me interactive elements to play with like TSI and ToonTown.

Doesn’t that just sound like a honest dream!?

This is what I thought GE was going to be like.

Sigh.

Professortango1

Because a ship behind a barrier seems like a prop or fake set piece rather than a real thing. If you're selling an immersive experience, you can't put up velvet ropes.

bryanfze55

On topic, though, I’m not sure if people should be allowed to “climb” on the Falcon. But I do think making the Millennium Falcon a walkthrough attraction rather than a simulator ride would have been ideal. I would love to just wander through the Falcon for an hour. They should have done that, and the simulator ride could have been a pod race or X-wing.

Last edited by a moderator:

RobWDW1971

Because a ship behind a barrier seems like a prop or fake set piece rather than a real thing. If you're selling an immersive experience, you can't put up velvet ropes.

And this is now how R2D2 is presented - adaptor plugged into wall, price above his head, and DO NOT TOUCH sign next to him.

I remember on these very forums being lectured, “But there are wandering droids. you get to meet R2D2!!!”. Sure, why not.

0D8FFFA6-281F-4514-84D5-D969D10DF915.jpeg
294C2346-26F6-4458-B972-F5586E65CE0F.jpeg

Phroobar

And this is now how R2D2 is presented - adaptor plugged into wall, price above his head, and DO NOT TOUCH sign next to him.

I remember on these very forums being lectured, “But there are wandering droids. you get to meet R2D2!!!”. Sure, why not.

View attachment 434576View attachment 434577
Isn't that the droid Disney sells for $25k ?

Mickeyboof

View attachment 434576View attachment 434577

...I’m beside myself.

I wouldn’t believe any of this back during the announcement in 2015. I wouldn’t even have fathomed this project could have flopped so badly.

mickEblu

Mickeyboof

“Imagineering has no current plans to use the autonomous character technology in Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge or with any particular character or type of character.”

Galaxy’s Edge is the most epic waste of time and money in this company’s history.

MoonRakerSCM

Late night double shift getting over for me... I figured I would be cheeky and check rotten tomatoes for any updates concerning rise of Skywalker... Heh.

SSG

P2292503.JPG

Kids are the worst. It will be a great day when Disney finally wises up and bans them from the parks.

Phroobar

While I too would love to just wander through the Falcon for an hour, think about how that would work in a theme park with tens of thousands of guests. How many people can fit on the Falcon and leave enough room for you to wander? 50?
However people do exactly that right now at Disney Sea with the Nautilus. Originally there were huge lines. Then everyone saw it and realized it was a queue with no ride at the end. I'm sure that walk through is pretty empty these days.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom