News Star Wars Galaxy's Edge Disneyland opening reports/reviews

TP2000

Such a spot on post and I'm shocked the unions allowed this without collective bargaining something for it. These must be weak locals to have an entirely new set of job duties added without extra pay. Wait until Disney tries to discipline a union worker for not doing the improv shtick. That will be an interesting grievance process....

I think they are probably on solid ground with the unions.

These same type CM's are the ones who do the spooky "For the best view of the portraits above, kindly drag your bodies away from the walls..." shtick at the Haunted Mansion, or give a rehearsed 10 minute presentation on the Jungle Cruise, ham it up a bit at Guardians of the Galaxy, etc. There's certainly a precedent for themed and scripted lines delivered by entry-level union CM's at Disneyland. At least for the ride operators running a show or a scripted ride.

What's different is that Bob Chapek has leaned way in on this for Star Wars Land, cut out all the higher paid professionals, and then expected all these ride operators and fast food workers and shop clerks to replace the professional entertainment entirely.

That's not just dumb, it's not kind and it's not appropriate.

That’s me! I was commenting from a ‘payment vs expectations’ perspective, as with this land in particular, Disney has given their employees a rather dramatic increase in responsibility without any sort of payment to reflect that increase.

Thank you for reminding me! I remember your post was so spot-on, and so succinct that this expectation by Bob Chapek wasn't just dumb, it was simply not nice nor was it appropriate.

RobWDW1971

I think they are probably on solid ground with the unions.

These same type CM's are the ones who do the spooky "For the best view of the portraits above, kindly drag your bodies away from the walls..." shtick at the Haunted Mansion, or give a rehearsed 10 minute presentation on the Jungle Cruise, ham it up a bit at Guardians of the Galaxy, etc. There's certainly a precedent for themed and scripted lines delivered by entry-level union CM's at Disneyland. At least for the ride operators running a show or a scripted ride.

What's different is that Bob Chapek has leaned way in on this for Star Wars Land, cut out all the higher paid professionals, and then expected all these ride operators and fast food workers and shop clerks to replace the professional entertainment entirely.

That's not just dumb, it's not kind and it's not appropriate.

Thank you for reminding me! I remember your post was so spot-on, and so succinct that this expectation by Bob Chapek wasn't just dumb, it was simply not nice nor was it appropriate.

Those are different unions that cover attractions hosts so those work expectations have been collectively bargained - there have historically not been improv and storytelling expectations for merch and food union members. Will be interesting to see what happens....

SuddenStorm

Let's take a look at Margaret Kerrison's resume to get an idea of where her theme park design experience comes from.

Here's a blog post highlighting her contributions to Lucasfilm and Galaxy's Edge- her theme park resume includes Hyperspace Mountain, two expos, Grand Avenue, and Galaxy's Edge. Let me reiterate. Her resume includes a giant gift shop, a ride overlay, a land overlay, and two expos. And somehow, this qualified her to have a meaningful say in the largest and most expensive Disneyland expansion ever?

No wonder the story at Galaxy's Edge is such a confusing, convoluted mess. Sure, she's not the only contributor- but it's looking like she had a meaningful say and that's alarming.

In a recent interview, Tony Baxter answered a question asking about backstory in lands. His answer was spot on, and it also highlighted many issues with the Galaxy's Edge approach. It's a lengthy answer, but it's a really insightful listen. Starts around the 8:15 mark.

Phroobar

Let's take a look at Margaret Kerrison's resume to get an idea of where her theme park design experience comes from.

Here's a blog post highlighting her contributions to Lucasfilm and Galaxy's Edge- her theme park resume includes Hyperspace Mountain, two expos, Grand Avenue, and Galaxy's Edge. Let me reiterate. Her resume includes a giant gift shop, a ride overlay, a land overlay, and two expos. And somehow, this qualified her to have a meaningful say in the largest and most expensive Disneyland expansion ever?

No wonder the story at Galaxy's Edge is such a confusing, convoluted mess. Sure, she's not the only contributor- but it's looking like she had a meaningful say and that's alarming.

In a recent interview, Tony Baxter answered a question asking about backstory in lands. His answer was spot on, and it also highlighted many issues with the Galaxy's Edge approach. It's a lengthy answer, but it's a really insightful listen. Starts around the 8:15 mark.

Well she has to start somewhere. Might as well give her a high profile expensive addition to the best theme park in the world. I mean, what could possibly go wrong?

The Grand Inquisitor

Tony Baxter needs to comeback to Disney! He should be in charge of the Epcot overhaul.

Communicora

Premium Member
A few weeks back I was in the parks and in Tommorowland Boba Fett was walking around. No dialogue, no comedy bits, but a giant crowd was following him and amazed. It was awesome to see him.

This is all Star Wars Land needs, characters like this present throughout the land. Imagine being jn the cantina and having Boba Fett come in?

It’s so dumb how the story crafters of Galaxy’s Edge wrote the land into a corner by making it after most of the popular characters are dead. All because Disney thinks its consumers are stupid and like having films promoted to them at a place they paid to be at.
I fear many of Star Wars' so-called fans would have had a meltdown if they allowed characters from different timelines in the land. It's unfortunate, because I think that would be a lot of fun.

SuddenStorm

I fear many of Star Wars' so-called fans would have had a meltdown if they allowed characters from different timelines in the land. It's unfortunate, because I think that would be a lot of fun.

I mean, it's not like word of mouth between Star Wars fans is great right now.

Not to mention, no one cares that star Tours jumps around the timeline.

TROR

I mean, it's not like word of mouth between Star Wars fans is great right now.

Not to mention, no one cares that star Tours jumps around the timeline.
Disagree. Star Tours should have a narrative. It's an attraction and therefore it should be more strictly bound than an entire land.

BasiltheBatLord

Sorry I know this is old news but I'm going to the parks next week and just need someone to give me a run down:

Do I still need a reservation for the cantina in Star Wars Land? If yes, how do I make one? Is it free? When should I make the reservation?

Supreme Leader

Sorry I know this is old news but I'm going to the parks next week and just need someone to give me a run down:

Do I still need a reservation for the cantina in Star Wars Land? If yes, how do I make one? Is it free? When should I make the reservation?
Yes. Use the Disneyland website or the Disneyland app to book a reservation. You'll have to put a credit card on file when you book your place and if you miss your reservation your card will be charged $10 per person on your reservation. I believe you can make a reservation day of but I'm not 100% sure about that.
^ All the info you need.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom