News Star Wars Galaxy's Edge Disneyland opening reports/reviews

lifeisgoodboy

Okay, here comes the ROTR “news” that should’ve been dropped on GMA but instead was pushed to this TWO HOUR propaganda special on FreeForm about GE. Many shots within the ride itself, with behind the scenes of the filming and interviews with the actors, Imaginners, and C h a p e k. Most notable things were a glance at a Kylo Ren animatronic from above as he stands on a platform looking down upon the approaching ride vehicles. Green screen footage being shot for Kylo Ren as well, so expect jarring transitions a la Forbidden Journey. Daisy Ridley shooting the “The Resistance needs YOUR help” preshow. Oscar Isaac filming scenes in an X-Wing that look to be similar to the shots found on the little screen on the right in your Starspeeder on Star Tours. And Bob Chapek claiming you’ll be “chased down by the First Order for over 15 minutes.” Not sure if he’s talking about the ride or the entire “experience“ beginning from when you step on the Resistance Transport Ship. John Boyega later says that the “ride” is 10 minutes so, there’s a bit of conflicting dialogue. Honestly though, I expect the ride to be about 5 due to the limited amount of scenes. Overall, after being let down by GE as a whole, I’m a bit cautious about this, but still extremely excited to see what they cook up. I truly believe this could be one of the best rides in the world.

Here’s some stuff from Twitter:

I think I am going to change my mind about not hating Batuu so much. I change my mind because I am reading a book about Batuu and it's giving me perspective I never seen before about Batuu and also I saw the freeform special about SW:GE.

lifeisgoodboy

If they wanted to make SW:GE really immersive they would've added Shyriiwook as one of the safety spiel languages on Target Run Presented by Target.

Shyrliwook language is vey hard to speak as you can see from these pictures:

BubbaQuest

... And Bob Chapek claiming you’ll be “chased down by the First Order for over 15 minutes.” Not sure if he’s talking about the ride or the entire “experience“ beginning from when you step on the Resistance Transport Ship. John Boyega later says that the “ride” is 10 minutes so, there’s a bit of conflicting dialogue. Honestly though, I expect the ride to be about 5 due to the limited amount of scenes.

I'm a little worried about this. A 15 minute experience with only a 5 minute ride.

It sounds like there are 2 pre-show areas. One to wait to load the transport shuttle to the battlecruiser. Then you meet the stormtroopers. Then you have to queue again for prison transport?

The thing I don't understand is all the x-wing footage. I thought this was just going to be an "explore a battlecruiser" thing. Is there another section where we are going to have to hear a 3rd(!) pre-show as we transfer from prison transport to escape shuttle?!

Mickeyboof

I'm a little worried about this. A 15 minute experience with only a 5 minute ride.

It sounds like there are 2 pre-show areas. One to wait to load the transport shuttle to the battlecruiser. Then you meet the stormtroopers. Then you have to queue again for prison transport?

The thing I don't understand is all the x-wing footage. I thought this was just going to be an "explore a battlecruiser" thing. Is there another section where we are going to have to hear a 3rd(!) pre-show as we transfer from prison transport to escape shuttle?!

Oh gosh. I’m worried too now.

I really can’t stand rides where I end up watching actors with the camera five inches from their face yelling at me when I’m in no possible danger at all.

TROR

I said it a long time ago; if this ride has actors on screens portrayed as if they're physically present, it's going to suck. Rey as a hologram is fine, Poe on a monitor is fine. The rest, I don't know.

Phroobar

I said it a long time ago; if this ride has actors on screens portrayed as if they're physically present, it's going to suck. Rey as a hologram is fine, Poe on a monitor is fine. The rest, I don't know.
Harry Potter is suppose to be physically present but is on a screen in the queue of Forbidden Journey. Why is it ok for Universal but not Disney?

TROR

A queue is not a ride.

Harry Potter’s invisibility reveal is a fantastic moment matched with physical effects, and warrants the pepper’s ghost technique.
If somebody is supposed to be physically present, there must be a physical presence. Animatronic, static figure, actor. Don’t care. But a screen is never sufficient no matter what part of the attraction.

George Lucas on a Bench

Disney revolutionized the screen-based attraction back in the 80s with the Mexico boat ride at Epcot. I remember it was mainly screens showing bizarre imagery such as a cliff diver and scuba diver on the floor. Most of the screens have been integrated fairly well since then, but there are obviously some exceptions, such as Toy Story at DCA, which is like playing a video game on one of those rear projection TVs from the late 90s/early 2000s.

SuddenStorm

Me at the Droid shop five minutes ago...

"Hi, is it possible to buy a Star Tours accurate Rex?"

The cm in the Droid shop "What's Star Tours? Is that something off planet?"

Me "ok, really?"

CM "yeah, what is it?"

Me "c'mon. It's okay. We're in Disneyland"

CM "what's Disneyland?"

I walked away at this point.

Yeesh. What a disaster. Left that interaction genuinely annoyed, without an answer to my simple yes or no question. Perhaps it was her inability to play a role, since she's a merchandise employee and not an actress... But that was ridiculous.

Disney, the story should never come at the expense of basic customer service, and responding to a customer with "I don't know" " What's that" and pretending to not even know what your workplace is named is annoying and disingenuous, not creative and immersive.

Not to mention, star tours is canon (Rex and the starspeeder were in rebels) so this weird attempt at immersion doesn't even make sense in the context of the land.

Last edited:

Mickeyboof

Me "ok, really?"

CM "yeah, what is it?"

CM "what's Disneyland?"

Yeesh. What a disaster. Left that interaction genuinely annoyed, without an answer to my simple yes or no question. Perhaps it was her inability to play a role, since she's a merchandise employee and not an actress... But that was ridiculous.

Disney, the story should never come at the expense of basic customer service, and responding to a customer with "I don't know" " What's that" and pretending to not even know what your workplace is named is annoying and disingenuous, not creative and immersive.

Not to mention, star tours is canon (Rex and the starspeeder were in rebels) so this weird attempt at immersion doesn't even make sense in the context of the land.

Mickeyboof

There should be a thread of ‘favorite moments at GE’ but god knows we don’t need any more.

My favorite was opening day at Disneyland, 8:30am. I noticed there were “stages” and platforms where I assumed shows or experiences would be (because the land was confirmed to have a stunt show among other encounters).

I asked what I thought was a Disneyland Cast Member, but who turned out to be a real life citizen of Batuu, “what time are the shows here!”

*you see, I had the 8a-12p slot and was afraid I’d miss the action!*

With a wild look in her eyes and a big smile, like she’s been waiting for this moment all three weeks of training, she said “...there’s just no way of knowing!!”

At that point I didn’t know what was up. I was a bit shocked at Disneyland to hear my Host actually lie to me. I hate when Disneyland Cast Members lie.

Anjin

These interactions all reminds me of Infocom games and their particular text parsers. As long as you stick to what it knows, it will reward you. But as soon as you drift outside of its capabilities, it doesn't know how to react. These poor CMs just don't have the training to do what they are being asked, so they fall maddeningly back on they're preprogrammed error message.

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes

Me "ok, really?"

CM "yeah, what is it?"

CM "what's Disneyland?"

Video or it didn’t happen.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom