News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

mickEblu

Anyway, my original post was just my explanation of why I think they chose the character Hondo. Not necessarily a commentary on why it was or wasn’t a good choice.

SuddenStorm

Hmm, if you don't know the stories, characters, or worlds, how is that any different than a non-IP story where you know nothing? I would think it would be exactly the same. You know nothing so you enjoy it for the experience and maybe even make up your own story.

These lands often rely on a number of inside references and cues that are intended to excite fans of the source material. A lot of world building is deemed unncessary because the audience should already be familiar with the material. Imagine riding the Forbidden Journey without knowing anything about Harry Potter. It'd be a weird, cool looking building with a weird, slightly exciting ride.

That's not to say there aren't exceptions. The best one I can think of is Indiana Jones Adventure- but in terms of IP focused lands, they definitely tend to rely on pre existing knowledge and emotional connection for the storytelling aspect.

mickEblu

But you're making the assumption that not knowing the IP would make the experience not fun. And that just isn't the case.

PotterLand, its a world of wizards that is all you need to know to enjoy it. You don't need to know who Harry, Ron, Hermione, Snape, or any other character is to enjoy the world.

It'll be the same for SW:GE. You can go in and experience the whole thing without knowing anything about SW and still have a great time. And again I expect that those that don't know the IP will make up their own stories for things in the land they don't understand, just like a non-IP attraction.

No I didn’t say not knowing the IP would not make the attraction fun. After all, flying around space will always be fun whether you know Hondo or not. I said the story telling approach is different when it’s IP vs non IP. It was me answering your question on how not knowing characters on a non IP attraction is any different that not knowing the characters on an IP attraction. It’s different because the story telling approach imagineers use is different when they use non IP... as I explained in more detail in my last post.

mickEblu

For myself the the attractions that have the looser “stories”, like POTC, HM And Splash Mountain are more timeless and repeatable. Indy and Star Tours for example aren’t as repetable for me because it’s the same “something goes wrong” story where as attractions like POTC/ HM/ Splash are relying more heavily on the immersive sets, music, AAs etc to tell the story.

TROR

How is Hondo even alive during the battle between the Resistance and the First Order? In Legends (so obviously not canon and this can be changed), Weequay have a general lifespan of 90 years. If we assume Hondo is 30 in The Clone Wars, there's still another 20 years before we see him in Rebels, several years during the OT, then 30 years until The Force Awakens, that would make Hondo one old pirate. At least late 80's.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
These lands often rely on a number of inside references and cues that are intended to excite fans of the source material. A lot of world building is deemed unncessary because the audience should already be familiar with the material. Imagine riding the Forbidden Journey without knowing anything about Harry Potter. It'd be a weird, cool looking building with a weird, slightly exciting ride.

That's not to say there aren't exceptions. The best one I can think of is Indiana Jones Adventure- but in terms of IP focused lands, they definitely tend to rely on pre existing knowledge and emotional connection for the storytelling aspect.

I think there will be plenty for both type of guests, those that know the source material and those that don't. In fact I have a feeling that those that know the source material too much are going to pick apart the land just like the movies. Anyways the land will be fine for those that don't know SW, and I'm sure there will be enough story told for those that don't know who Hondo is and why he has the Falcon.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
No I didn’t say not knowing the IP would not make the attraction fun. After all, flying around space will always be fun whether you know Hondo or not. I said the story telling approach is different when it’s IP vs non IP. It was me answering your question on how not knowing characters on a non IP attraction is any different that not knowing the characters on an IP attraction. It’s different because the story telling approach imagineers use is different when they use non IP... as I explained in more detail in my last post.

Yes I agree non-IP stories use a different approach to their storytelling. Is one better than the other? It depends on your point of view. I personally don't find one more enjoyable over the other, I think they both have their places.

My overall point was that knowing or not knowing a particular IP isn't going to matter with SW:GE. As you indicated flying around space is going to be fun either way. And with RotR a basic capture and chase scene in space is also going to be fun either way as well.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
How is Hondo even alive during the battle between the Resistance and the First Order? In Legends (so obviously not canon and this can be changed), Weequay have a general lifespan of 90 years. If we assume Hondo is 30 in The Clone Wars, there's still another 20 years before we see him in Rebels, several years during the OT, then 30 years until The Force Awakens, that would make Hondo one old pirate. At least late 80's.

I think you pretty much answered your own question. The source for the Weequay lifespan was a passing reference in Wizards of the Coast's version of the Star Wars Roleplaying Game. I doubt even Lucas knew that as he just approved licensing for games and never worried about the fine details of every game or book ever written. He always saw the EU as what it is and wrote his own canon stories, even if they contradicted the EU material.

As you said, it's not canon, so it's a moot point.

TROR

I think you pretty much answered your own question. The source for the Weequay lifespan was a passing reference in Wizards of the Coast's version of the Star Wars Roleplaying Game. I doubt even Lucas knew that as he just approved licensing for games and never worried about the fine details of every game or book ever written. He always saw the EU as what it is and wrote his own canon stories, even if they contradicted the EU material.

As you said, it's not canon, so it's a moot point.
Yeah but he’s still old.

mickEblu

Yes I agree non-IP stories use a different approach to their storytelling. Is one better than the other? It depends on your point of view. I personally don't find one more enjoyable over the other, I think they both have their places.

My overall point was that knowing or not knowing a particular IP isn't going to matter with SW:GE. As you indicated flying around space is going to be fun either way. And with RotR a basic capture and chase scene in space is also going to be fun either way as well.

Yeah I think the POTC/ Splash/ HM approach is best as it’s more timeless and repeatable for me. Regardless, I think Falcon will be fun even though that 38” height restriction is scaring me. On the bright side, my 3 year old son can ride it.

Phroobar

Yeah? And my grandmother lived to 101. Whats your point?
How long in space is a year? Is it 90 years on Hondo's home planet or it 90 years someplace else? Every planet moves around it's sun at different rates. Who is to say what 90 years is? It's all relative. We also know that traveling near the speed of light slows down time. So it's possible that hyperspace can extend your "natural" life.

SWGalaxysEdge

New news of the day - Just heard that there will be a Probot in the RotR attraction - 2nd floor. After the AT-At attack.
My source was not up on their ESB knowledge, so they didn't know what it was, but sent me this picture (not from the ride) and said this is what is there and it is animatronic.

Attachments

• probot.jpg
    probot.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 138

Nland316

...ok if you call the ride vehicles shutting down all of the time and no one able to figure it out, "not serious"
I’d really take careful consideration into what information you immediately release from your own sources. Not discrediting you, but sometimes information clashes so it’s good to take into consideration what realistically is going on behind the scenes and not just post everything you’re told. Especially when multiple trusted insiders such as @BrianLo and @marni1971 have opposing information.

Last edited:

britain

New news of the day - Just heard that there will be a Probot in the RotR attraction - 2nd floor. After the AT-At attack.
My source was not up on their ESB knowledge, so they didn't know what it was, but sent me this picture (not from the ride) and said this is what is there and it is animatronic.

So just to clarify, they sent this picture from 1979 to say what they’ve seen in RotR?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom