News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

Disney Irish

Premium Member
My guess is that the ride has a default routine that provides a solid experience with no rider input required, and that--beyond extra story details--the rider input is 1) not as important as Disney PR suggests (shocker) and 2) so simple to execute that an orangutan with a sack over its head could manage it.

I think of it as a big game of Simon. Where you push the lit up button or pull the lit up level at the right time and an action happens real time. And its not hard to believe they would put in a default "story" if guests do nothing.

Rich T

I think of it as a big game of Simon. Where you push the lit up button or pull the lit up level at the right time and an action happens real time. And its not hard to believe they would put in a default "story" if guests do nothing.
Or if one (or more) of the seats simply aren't filled or functioning properly.
(EDIT)
Does this attraction have a single-rider line?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
There are ways to 'save' a flailing mission:

1. Holo-Hondo appears and is exasperated that you're doing poorly since you were supposed to be top-notch pilots. So he tells your astrotech droid to help you out and an autopilot kicks in to get you to the next 'waypoint.'

2. A friendly or rival NPC ship shows up to help you with (or do for you) your current task.

3. You became so bogged down with one leg of your mission that there's a bit of a hand wave and you jump to the last leg, skipping over some side quests.

4. Your defeat is thwarted by an outside force:
a) The space monster burps you out because you're indigestible or your astrodroid electrifies the ship.​
b) The first order ship that caught you explodes as Holo-Hondo shows up and says, "Oh, didn't I tell you? You were a distraction for the real mission of rebels blowing up the star destroyer."​
c) As hinted by the PR, you get caught and your cargo is stolen and they let you go because they only care about the cargo.​

SSG

[B]MousePlanet[/B]‏ @[B]MousePlanet[/B] :

"Confirmed: Jedi Training Academy to end run @DisneylandToday on 11/4/18. Seems WDW version is safe for now. No announced plans for an updated version when Galaxy’s Edge opens."
DowrbVKUwAA_rV0.jpg

Rich T

My expectations for the interactivity of this experience are very low, so I'm all set to be very pleasantly surprised. Frankly, I'll be happy if it's as interactive and multi-pathed as World 1 of Nintendo's Starfox 64; that'd be about the right length and openness for a decent theme park flight sim/video game ride.

For all my joking and skepticism, I'm genuinely looking forward to trying this. :)

TP2000

[B]MousePlanet[/B]‏ @[B]MousePlanet[/B] :

"Confirmed: Jedi Training Academy to end run @DisneylandToday on 11/4/18. Seems WDW version is safe for now. No announced plans for an updated version when Galaxy’s Edge opens."
DowrbVKUwAA_rV0.jpg

Interesting. They obviously need to begin scaling back the presence of Star Wars elsewhere in the park before next summer. At some point they're also going to need to stop selling the BB8 balloons, the wacky Star Wars t-shirts, etc. None of that stuff works in their ultra-serious Star Wars Land. Even the Jedi Training Academy would seem to be "off brand".

The glaring error here is Star Tours, in both parks. It's even a bit worse in DHS as it sits almost directly across from the land entrance and is in a park that only has six other rides. At least in Disneyland Star Tours is on the other side of the park and is in a park with 40 other rides.

nevol

Interesting. They obviously need to begin scaling back the presence of Star Wars elsewhere in the park before next summer. At some point they're also going to need to stop selling the BB8 balloons, the wacky Star Wars t-shirts, etc. None of that stuff works in their ultra-serious Star Wars Land. Even the Jedi Training Academy would seem to be "off brand".

The glaring error here is Star Tours, in both parks. It's even a bit worse in DHS as it sits almost directly across from the land entrance and is in a park that only has six other rides. At least in Disneyland Star Tours is on the other side of the park and is in a park with 40 other rides.
I hear/d the speculation/argument that in the short/medium term, they don't want to close star tours or completely eradicate the rest of the star wars presence from those parks, because they want to keep all of that stuff. It wouldn't be diegetic to star wars: galaxy's edge, so they have to keep star traders open in order to sell star wars branded merchandise not found on batuu. I believe universal does something similar? Their entrance is almost fully dedicated to selling harry potter merch while the shops in the land sell candy, wands, what have you.

BrianLo

Original Poster
I hear/d the speculation/argument that in the short/medium term, they don't want to close star tours or completely eradicate the rest of the star wars presence from those parks, because they want to keep all of that stuff. It wouldn't be diegetic to star wars: galaxy's edge, so they have to keep star traders open in order to sell star wars branded merchandise not found on batuu. I believe universal does something similar? Their entrance is almost fully dedicated to selling harry potter merch while the shops in the land sell candy, wands, what have you.

The front shops at Universal largely just sell a distilled version of the lands hits. It's not unique merch, it's just a "oh you forgot to buy this back in the land, here it is pick it up".

I really don't like that frankly. If Disney wants to sell merch outside the land it's ok if it's unique. I.e. the more chintzy Disneyland branded shirts and toys, etc. Keep the land merch unique.

However, that clearly won't last forever.

bshah365

I've heard that merch at Tokyo Disney is very land specific.. you will only find specialty items in the themed land that best represents that character. They apparently also don't sell any Duffy & Friends merch anywhere in Tokyo Disneyland, only Disney Sea... Although there is Cars merch everywhere on Buena Vista St., you cant find any specialty Cars Land Labeled merch anywhere outside of the land itself.. I think that's how Disney will approach GE.

Old Mouseketeer

I've heard that merch at Tokyo Disney is very land specific.. you will only find specialty items in the themed land that best represents that character. They apparently also don't sell any Duffy & Friends merch anywhere in Tokyo Disneyland, only Disney Sea... Although there is Cars merch everywhere on Buena Vista St., you cant find any specialty Cars Land Labeled merch anywhere outside of the land itself.. I think that's how Disney will approach GE.

They have been fighting this battle since early in the Eisner years. I remember David Mumford describing this to me when they first made every location justify its existence on the bottom line. Merchandise managers started filling their shelves with Disney character merchandise, regardless of local theme. There was an adjustment with the advisement that it still needed to be "good show", but it has declined ever since.

Little Green Men

I would consider it worse being on the otherside of the park. Atleast being in close proximity it ties the experience together.

TP2000

I would consider it worse being on the otherside of the park. Atleast being in close proximity it ties the experience together.

I don't know about that at DHS. Star Tours at DHS is not even supposed to be a real spaceport, it's a fake movie set "See How Clever We Are?!?" thing. A complete 180 degree experience from what Galaxy's Edge is supposed to be and do. At least at Disneyland the plotline is a real spaceport in Tomorrowland run by the Star Tours company.

315769452_4b4b6e0d8d_b.jpg

ASD-12042015l+-+1.jpg

BrianLo

Original Poster

You heard very incorrectly.

The merch in Tokyo is god-awful. It's mostly tins full of small treats with Mickey and Co slapped on the front, trinkets, pens, phone bobbles, stuffed plush. Gaudy Mickey and friend t-shirts. Whatever celebration they happen to be doing that year slapped onto all of the above.

Tokyo is a lot of things, a lot of wonderful things, but a beacon of merch purity it is not. In fact that's the one element I'd say Tokyo comes into dead last for.

591_main_visual_name_2.jpg

Take a very close look at the above merch shelves. See all the crap I'm talking about? Somewhere on Main Street you say? Must be a Fantasyland shop?

That's the tower of terror exit gift shop. You can actually spot the ONE on theme shirt in black in the back by the guy with the shopping basket. That's literally the only thing I bought in the entirety of Disney Sea, because it was slightly on point unique... but it's still Mickey and Co screaming on ToT.

Phroobar

The merch in Tokyo is god-awful. It's mostly tins full of small treats with Mickey and Co slapped on the front, trinkets, pens, phone bobbles, stuffed plush. Gaudy Mickey and friend t-shirts. Whatever celebration they happen to be doing that year slapped onto all of the above.

Tokyo is a lot of things, a lot of wonderful things, but a beacon of merch purity it is not. In fact that's the one element I'd say Tokyo comes into dead last for.

Take a very close look at the above merch shelves. See all the crap I'm talking about? Somewhere on Main Street you say? Must be a Fantasyland shop?

That's the tower of terror exit gift shop. You can actually spot the ONE on theme shirt in black in the back by the guy with the shopping basket. That's literally the only thing I bought in the entirety of Disney Sea, because it was slightly on point unique... but it's still Mickey and Co screaming on ToT.
The merch is tailored to the Japanese. It is a cultural thing to buy small gifts for people you meet. That is where Sanjo's Hello Kitty came from.

BasiltheBatLord

Yeah I'd have to agree, I've never been impressed with the merch at TDR. Something that has to be understood about Disney in Japan is that Disney characters and Disney branding are ungodly popular, especially among young women. So most of the merch is marketed towards young women who are obsessed with Disney IP (not exactly the target market of this site I would imagine).

brb1006

Yeah I'd have to agree, I've never been impressed with the merch at TDR. Something that has to be understood about Disney in Japan is that Disney characters and Disney branding are ungodly popular, especially among young women. So most of the merch is marketed towards young women who are obsessed with Disney IP (not exactly the target market of this site I would imagine).
Blame the Japanese Kawaii culture for this. The culture has a long history with cuteness since the 1970's.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom