News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

Antaundra

I'm shocked the early audience reaction is so mixed. The theater I was in was enamored with the movie. That said internet reviews don't really matter the true audience ratting score will be how much money it makes.

Phroobar

I'm shocked the early audience reaction is so mixed. The theater I was in was enamored with the movie. That said internet reviews don't really matter the true audience ratting score will be how much money it makes.
We were pretty quiet when we came out of the theater. We saw the 8:30am showing and everyone ran for the restroom right after. It was a long movie.

I though the last minute with the kids was pure Disney marketing. "You can join the Rebellion too!"

BrianLo

Original Poster
I saw it last night as well. I've heard a few more Star Wars-centric critics (from Collider etc.) who felt they really needed a second viewing to start to appreciate it.

I think it's almost the opposite of the The Force Awakens: bubble gum fun that you start to unwrap and realize what a retread it is. Versus a really different and deep narrative that provides many, many offshoots for future stories, but is more overwhelming on first blush. There is of course one narrative thread that's a bit bubble gum fun and ultimately pointless - but two out of the three hit so amazingly well. It really is amazing how much movie is packed into TLJ versus how vapid TFA is, it would easily take 2-3x as long to summarize TLJ.

I'm not sure if I believe the RT audience score right now - trolls tend to run that off the ground early on (just like DC movies have a near perfect score before a single person has seen the movie). I'll await the cinema-score to get a much better idea of the audience perception - and the fan perception since cinemascore will mostly capture opening audiences, which are obviously skewed towards fans.

Edit: Comscore is 90%, cinemascore pending. Ya, I think it's overzealous trolls.

TROR

It's not just Rotten Tomatoes, though. Go on Reddit, Twitter, YouTube, etc. and you'll see people just hating on the movie. I'm sure most people won't feel this way (it is still 56% of people who enjoy the movie according to RT which is a majority) and it's just a lot of loud mouths with opinions.

BrianLo

Original Poster
It's not just Rotten Tomatoes, though. Go on Reddit, Twitter, YouTube, etc. and you'll see people just hating on the movie. I'm sure most people won't feel this way (it is still 56% of people who enjoy the movie according to RT which is a majority) and it's just a lot of loud mouths with opinions.

Precisely - you can't trust 'the internet' for reviews. A few hundred incensed users can barrage anything they want, and make tons of accounts to do it. Have half of them even seen the movie? An actual 1:1 poll of people who have watched the movie giving a review is completely dichotomous with the online 'uproar'.

D

Deleted member 107043

Orlando Weekly is reporting that Disney Parks has tweeted a photo of the inside of the Millennium Falcon at SW:GE :jawdrop:

IMG_20171215_183521.jpg

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.or...falcon-ride-at-disneys-star-wars-galaxys-edge

DisneyRoy

I saw it last night as well. I've heard a few more Star Wars-centric critics (from Collider etc.) who felt they really needed a second viewing to start to appreciate it.

I think it's almost the opposite of the The Force Awakens: bubble gum fun that you start to unwrap and realize what a retread it is. Versus a really different and deep narrative that provides many, many offshoots for future stories, but is more overwhelming on first blush. There is of course one narrative thread that's a bit bubble gum fun and ultimately pointless - but two out of the three hit so amazingly well. It really is amazing how much movie is packed into TLJ versus how vapid TFA is, it would easily take 2-3x as long to summarize TLJ.

I'm not sure if I believe the RT audience score right now - trolls tend to run that off the ground early on (just like DC movies have a near perfect score before a single person has seen the movie). I'll await the cinema-score to get a much better idea of the audience perception - and the fan perception since cinemascore will mostly capture opening audiences, which are obviously skewed towards fans.

Edit: Comscore is 90%, cinemascore pending. Ya, I think it's overzealous trolls.

I dont think you just need a second viewing to better understand, although it will help. I think we need episode 9 and the final closure to truly understand where this one will fit into the grand scheme of things. Once the saga is complete and we see how everything ties together, we can then properly understand and rank the movies accordingly.

I loved it by the way. But I might be biased....

BrianLo

Original Poster
I dont think you just need a second viewing to better understand, although it will help. I think we need episode 9 and the final closure to truly understand where this one will fit into the grand scheme of things. Once the saga is complete and we see how everything ties together, we can then properly understand and rank the movies accordingly.

I loved it by the way. But I might be biased....

Perhaps not everyone, but I actually didn't love it initially, honestly. It needed a repeat view or in my case I watched an hour and a half spoiler cast from Collider and really came around and processed everything.

It's an incredibly dense movie, in a good way. It's three movies.

D

Deleted member 107043

So we're really gonna ignore that we've been given our first look inside a Star Wars Land attraction?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom