News Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser to permanently close this fall

Disone

I think 2 day shifts probably cost a ton for equity cast. Plus they leaned heavily on college program for passenger services crew, and I don't know how reliable that is long-term. My guess is that the first year of bookings on this thing more or less paid for the construction, and now they can do shorter experiences with the dinner show at high cost when they want to.
Equity was not on two day long shifts. Equity came in for the evening did their shows and then they would leave. From paying them standpoint this was no different than equity showing up for any other entertainment shifts, performing the role, and then going home until the next shift they have to report for.

I'm also not specifically aware of any college program activity at the star cruiser. That doesn't mean there wasn't any but Most of the onboard services were handled by full time cast members who had to transfer into the role.

Skibum1970

Figured when they opened that they had to know that even the most committed Star Wars geeks would see this as one and done and they’d run through those within a couple years. I thought they had to have a plan to convert to a regular deluxe after the initial surge. But this is Disney, Stitch is still empty, same with Wonders of Life, upstairs Imagination, Tomorrowland Terrace restaurant, part of Dinoland, part of the Epcot hub, etc, etc manage to close for many years with no replacement.

Completely agree. Price point was not in line with what those who could pay would expect from a lodging and only so many people are willing to spend that kind of money playing dress up.

AEfx

Of all the boondoggles in Disney history - and there certainly have been more than a few - nothing has been such a spectacular, utterly confounding, dumpster fire of an abject failure as this was.

How in the H-E-you-know-what they screwed this up will a tale told for generations...what should have been the most in-demand boutique hotel on the planet, and they barely could keep it open for a year.

Funny thing is, even with the cheap, generic sets that looked out of "Random 90's Sci-fi show", or the lack of things to do besides chasing things with your phone and playing card games, they still could have done so much better if they had just gone with Darth Vader instead of Kylo Ren...hopefully, just as all other areas of Star Wars merchandising, products, etc. have done, they finally realize once and for all that the people that have this kind of money to spend on Star Wars don't spend their money on Sequel Trilogy anything.

As a number of us said from the beginning, this was a product that was really only aimed at people who spend too much money at WDW and want social media cred for doing the biggest, latest, most expensive thing - and apparently they ran out of those people more quickly than any of us even expected.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
As a former Starcruiser CP, I am heartbroken. This experience was truly one of a kind, and if you haven’t done it, you can’t understand how truly incredible it is.

Yes, it is very expensive, but it is one of the most unique ideas to come from WDI in recent times. The sheer creativity and manpower that went into designing this 48 hour non-stop show, with video game elements, Light Saber training, and truly unique character experiences is crazy.

Being able to feel a part of a universe many of ourselves have found a home in is so truly unique. I find it so unfortunate the amount of hatred this project got.

**** from Courscant hopes the Stars will Light Our Way
It’s not Star Wars.

Disney never bothered to ask around and figure out what and why Star Wars is.

Whoever the next ceo is…needs to dedicate his/herself to finding an actual, verified Gen Xer who is NOT from Stanford to run LFL…then actually stay the hell out of it and watch.

I could do it better. And I work cheap. I wish I was joking but I don’t believe it to be the case

Last edited:

Patcheslee

I still find it interesting that they didn't choose to discount harder. Makes me wonder what the operational costs are and the margin needed for it to be worthwhile. Priced at around $2000, I think it would probably work.
We were willing to do $3000 for 3 of us in June, but no more. The idea was good, but DH reading reports of needed to spend alot of time on activities was a turn off. Me, I'd just stare out space windows lol

GimpYancIent

Based on the projected final voyage dates could the powers that be convert the cruiser into a derelict spaceship haunted house for Halloween. That could be an overnight experience and salvage something at least near term. Just a thought.

MattyBear

Figured when they opened that they had to know that even the most committed Star Wars geeks would see this as one and done and they’d run through those within a couple years. I thought they had to have a plan to convert to a regular deluxe after the initial surge. But this is Disney, Stitch is still empty, same with Wonders of Life, upstairs Imagination, Tomorrowland Terrace restaurant, part of Dinoland, part of the Epcot hub, etc, etc manage to close for many years with no replacement.

This is the best response so far.

matt9112

If it wasn't making money with half the "voyages" at full price, how could it make money with more voyages at half price?

Define make money? I think the entire experience would have to change. The dinner show idea is probably the best option they had. Charge 200 bucks a head or something stupid for a couple hours and throw in free LL for rise. But that would make the entire hotel part redundant. Could reuse the shuttle experience and the common areas and technically do something else with the hotel space. I imagine they just want to wash there hands of this. No more effort. Close it down and write it off.

GimpYancIent

Starcruiser booking website updated with announcement regarding the final voyage:

1684442732957.png

MrPromey

I really really wish they had not built this and instead invested that money into making GE in DHS bigger and better then the GE in DL. They could have expanded the land south and added another couple rides, food and even given the area another planets theme with the amount of money they sunk into the starcruiser
They can still gut this and use some of the interior elements to add on to Galaxy's Edge, possibly adding back a little of what seemed to have gotten cut in favor of building this ridiculous up-sell.

The intergalactic buffet interior, for instance, could probably be installed into a warehouse shaped building somewhere along the perimeter. I'd see them doing that long before using the box truck to take people back and forth to this building for a meal.

Last edited:

SpaceMountain77

I think that is part of it. But from running this site, I noticed a distinct change in guest sentiment when this was announced -

I have been thinking about this announcement within the context of other things that have happened in recent years and cannot help but wonder if the change in guest sentiment is due to an awakening and feeling of enough.

In March 2018, Disney began charging guests for overnight parking. Extra Magic Hours for guests staying at Moderate and Value resorts, complimentary MagicBands, and Magical Express were discontinued in January 2021. The smaller dining portions at the same or higher prices announcement and rollout of Genie+ occurred in October 2021. Galactic Starcruiser pricing, I believe, was revealed in August 2021.

Within a 1-year period, guests lost cherished perks, experienced significant price increases, and many were priced out of a boutique experience. Perhaps the Galactic Starcruiser was perceived to be a pinnacle of greed.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I’m now debating whether to try and squeeze this in our August trip. I’ll look from the 26th and see what they have available.

I’ll just rent some DVC points to pay for it
There’s charities in need…just saying
We were willing to do $3000 for 3 of us in June, but no more. The idea was good, but DH reading reports of needed to spend alot of time on activities was a turn off. Me, I'd just stare out space windows lol
It was a terrible idea.
The debate is over. The case is closed

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom