News Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser to permanently close this fall

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I had a boss once like that who would reject and even shut down profitable projects because the operating ratio wasn't high enough.

Like 10% as opposed to the 30% profit the division threw off in normal years. I found out later the division heads had specific bonus goals tied to keeping the margin in a certain numerical range.
…first day in ‘Merica? 🤭

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Here was the issue for me. They wanted you to pay 5k and micromanage you for 2 days.

This should have always been a Star Wars themed resort that if you wanted to - you could stay for a week (or for however long a duration you wanted). Hang out at the pool. Have lots of Star Wars activities, themed events and interactions with Star Wars characters where participation was optional. You should have been given the option to spend the day at the MK and then come back and hang out at the Mos Eisley and pay a premium on drinks. Or spend the day at AK and then return to the resort for a SW type show or activity.

If you wanted to charge $500 a plate for an exclusive dining experience with a costumed Han Solo fine. If you wanted to have a top of the line Star Wars themed room for $1500 a night, fine.

They forced it. IMO that's where they went wrong. Thinking they could control the guests behavior while the guest is on vacation *cough*- park res system, Lightning Lane, ILL, etc *cough*

It's the Disney model of "we'll tell you how you will vacation at DW"

*Scanning above quoted post*

the force awakens GIF by Star Wars

AdventureHasAName

I started thinking that at about 3 yesterday…there is a positive spin.

Downside is they ruined Star Wars for this type of thing forever.
They “came at the king…and missed”
I agree that we'll never see another Star Wars hotel. But to further the positive spin, this flameout might be the thing that gets Disney Parks to abandon the sequel trilogy and focus on the original trilogy and the Mandalorian tv show. If they actually made an effort, they could rebrand Batuu as Nevarro (or Tatooine) and have Luke, Han, and a handful of Mandalorians walking around in less than three months. The only real issue would be that Rise of the Resistance would be the wrong time period (and less than 1% of the customers would care).

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I agree that we'll never see another Star Wars hotel. But to further the positive spin, this flameout might be the thing that gets Disney Parks to abandon the sequel trilogy and focus on the original trilogy and the Mandalorian tv show. If they actually made an effort, they could rebrand Batuu as Nevarro (or Tatooine) and have Luke, Han, and a handful of Mandalorians walking around in less than three months. The only real issue would be that Rise of the Resistance would be the wrong time period (and less than 1% of the customers would care).
Well that’s a spin too…I like it.

What I meant was that REJECTING an egregious fee is good for the long term viability of Disney parks. It has to cater to the middle. Not “cheap”…but possible. That’s how they’ve made barges full of Mickey money.
It’s not an exclusive enclave…people with real wealth don’t want it and they have been convincing themselves they can dump the rest. They are wrong

Last edited:

JIMINYCR

Not too surprised this happened. They should have seen the numbers weren’t producing profitability fairly quickly and made adjustments to try making it work without so much expense. The bad thing I see is that many had speculated that if it was successful then the next builds might be a HM or ToT themed stay. Now they will be very hesitant to try something similar. Maybe to recoup the cost they can run some kind of guest experience that’s not going to take up so much park time and expense.
Probably though will be another empty building and ripped out material sent to a landfill.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Not too surprised this happened. They should have seen the numbers weren’t producing profitability fairly quickly and made adjustments to try making it work without so much expense. The bad thing I see is that many had speculated that if it was successful then the next builds might be a HM or ToT themed stay. Now they will be very hesitant to try something similar. Maybe to recoup the cost they can run some kind of guest experience that’s not going to take up so much park time and expense.
Probably though will be another empty building and ripped out material sent to a landfill.
I’d be interested to see what your thoughts about this where about 10-14 months ago?

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Some attractions never accrue enough success to be shuttered. The Haunted Mansion is an example of this. However, the Galactic Starcruiser's success rate was so high, its already closed! Huzzah! Huzzah!

They are on a roll with stuff like this. Rivers of light, the alien invasion, taco ship, octopus arm lakeside spectacular. Success rate accrual is off the charts.

Shows, spectacles, micromanaged larping spectaculars. The brightest star burns for only ten million years or so, but that's on super long science time. Ten million years in this analogy is 18 months or whatever.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom