News Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser to permanently close this fall

lentesta

Premium Member
4500 responses which would be what? Less than 10% of the people who went by peoples guestimates? Not a great sample size to fall back on after a paid survey as the starting point to the conversation.

4,500 responses is absolutely phenomenal for that size population.

You don’t need to believe me. Call the math department of any college you like. Ask them if a random group of 4,500 chosen from 45,000 is enough for a survey like this.

donaldtoo

Lots of ways to do it, but things wouldn't have overlaps .... Just in a given week you have one or two 2-night cruises like they did then you have one or two single nights and some days are just "day cruises" where people go up for like a meal and an activity, no staying over

They also could have tried other options like longer cruises but less immersion (so more like a regular cruise/regular hotel) so the per day cost is a lot lower

Maybe just anecdotal but I know a lot of people (myself included) that were intrigued by the concept and would have liked to experience elements of it but no way would go for the structure that was provided (due to immersion/larping elements and the price point) ... But let me go up there for an afternoon to check I out and get a meal, do the lightsaber training for like $350-500/person and I would be way more interested

Then it also could be just like a part of a larger Disney/Orlando vacation vs this stay being the main (only) thing you do

Clearly what they had was not sustainable but there were elements that were extremely well received so trying to make part of it more accessible to more people makes sense to me

I have no problem with making a concept like that more accessible to more people.
My point was, simply, that no matter how much “blue sky” was tossed around in the beginning of the concept, the final product wasn’t set up for more accessible options, including the physical building, itself, the CM training, etc. It was set up to get the place filled as much as possible for a two-night stay, then get those Guests out, and the next group of two-nighter Guests in.

It was set up like an actual ocean cruise would be, but, only for two nights, and with way less options, regarding things to do.
Would you receive a different colored pin, lanyard, wristband, etc., for how many nights you were “cruising”…?! Would the different night cruisers be in different blocks of rooms (only 100 rooms)…?! Also, would there then be a “sail away party” each night…?!
Trying to convert the product as it ended up existing would have been, if nothing else, at least a logistical nightmare from hell, in my view anyway.

Splash4eva

4,500 responses is absolutely phenomenal for that size population.

You don’t need to believe me. Call the math department of any college you like. Ask them if a random group of 4,500 chosen from 45,000 is enough for a survey like this.
Im not saying it is or isnt but didnt someone guestimate it was closer to 70-80k guest which would reduce that % by a decent amount still my guess based on what you are saying is phenomenal but my point is yes % wise may be great but when you look at the actual number to me its not that impressive. I could be wrong its not a hill ill die on. Point is this tho. It closed because it failed and imo things do not fail that are such a great product. Disney is the prime example of that because its a company which we have seen over pay for decades even when the product was diminished even tho thats changing but according to everyone this product was above and beyond so why did noone go?!? Call me skeptical 🤷‍♂️. Disney + Star Wars + an amazing experience = A Failed venture? Come on

AEfx

What other information are you hoping to get if you've apparently already watched hours of footage?
I gave up hoping to get any many pages ago, when it was clear that no one had it to back up the claims being made.

Unfortunately, people like yourself keep jumping into the fray to "put me in my place" by mischaracterizing what I said in one continuous straw man and goal-post move after another, so yeah, when folks are outright lying about what was said and directly replying to me, I'm gonna correct that.

(Though I am still waiting for someone to show me the quote where D'Amaro said it was the "highest rated ever", because that claim has been made ad nauseam like it's gospel by a good number of posters and it has yet to be proven.)

Given the fervor of those of you who keep doing this, I do have to wonder what it is you find so threatening about me asking people to back up their claims, but if people want a protected thread where they can just say whatever they want and not be asked for proof, then I might suggest they go to the site-which-shall-not-be-named, as that certainly isn't going to happen here, particularly in the News forum.

AEfx

And the sequel trilogy setting played no small part in the failure
I honestly think that's where they started to lose the most potential customers among Star Wars fans, right after those that were automatically out based on the price.

If it had been based on the OT, then it would still be in business. It still may not have sustained it forever, but it certainly would have given them a few more good years on that alone.

It was the worst business decision made in this entire venture, and kind of inexcusable when it didn't open until 2022, given that this decision could have been changed pretty far along in the process. I get why Galaxies Edge didn't reverse course, it was already too late - but given that the Sequel Trilogy ceased to bring in any merchandising profit by the start of the decade, by the time those final decisions had to be made it was already clearly a losing battle.

AEfx

TP doesn’t pay for surveys.

Thanks Len. I'm not sure where folks got confused on that one.

In any case, since you are here - can you please explain the survey? Someone posted a graph but that's about it. It looks like it is comparing hotels at WDW. What were the people asked? Were they verified to have done the experience?

I'm asking because we have people making some massive claims based on the results of that survey (since the actual paid Disney survey is obviously not available), and I'd like to know more about it since it's being generalized to "highest satisfaction of any experience in history" when it looks to me it is just comparing hotels.

Thanks!

James Alucobond

I gave up hoping to get any many pages ago, when it was clear that no one had it to back up the claims being made.

Unfortunately, people like yourself keep jumping into the fray to "put me in my place" by mischaracterizing what I said in one continuous straw man and goal-post move after another, so yeah, when folks are outright lying about what was said and directly replying to me, I'm gonna correct that.

(Though I am still waiting for someone to show me the quote where D'Amaro said it was the "highest rated ever", because that claim has been made ad nauseam like it's gospel by a good number of posters and it has yet to be proven.)

Given the fervor of those of you who keep doing this, I do have to wonder what it is you find so threatening about me asking people to back up their claims, but if people want a protected thread where they can just say whatever they want and not be asked for proof, then I might suggest they go to the site-which-shall-not-be-named, as that certainly isn't going to happen here, particularly in the News forum.
I don't have any desire to "put you in your place" and honestly have zero emotional investment in the Starcruiser since I never went on it and had no interest in going. Hadn't posted in this thread in ages either. My only point was that your whole approach to evidence seems backward ...

When reviews are good, vloggers express their enjoyment, and satisfaction scores seem to track fairly high (regardless of whatever offhand comment one person made about something D'Amaro may not have actually said), most people take that at face value. When you appear and call that into question, the burden of proof would generally be on you to demonstrate that there was a concerted effort to rig scores or pay off reviewers. The simplest explanation is usually the correct one, which means people probably just enjoyed it. Instead, you demand joy receipts to satisfy your incredulity.

JD80

Multiple people are in this thread with personal stories of their enjoyment and several posters shared discussions of friends who have had good stories. What else do you want?

There is a thread somewhere on the boards with similar stories. Go listen to Len Testa talk about his experience on the Disney Dish.

People have share survey data.
The fact Disney is spending resources to survey guests about their experience AFTER it was shut down is a pretty massive suggestion that something really good came out of the experience.

_caleb

Sounds largely like a star wars hotel at that point if you make all the activities adhoc and just self-paced. It would be more like a cruise and less like theater.

Is that good? Is that bad? I think it's a different direction for sure.

What if this were instead of an overnight, it was just something you dedicated a full day to? like a keys to the kingdom tour... but obviously longer and focused purely on this? If it were still a story adventure+activities, but scoped down so that you consumed it just one day at a time would that be interesting? Like what if you could say... book a certain story-line ahead of time... to add more repeatability? Then you could decide how frequently you experience it and control your own pace of how much 'starcruiser' you can take on your own per trip?
Yeah, if D’Amaro follows through and they do end up trying again, I think that might be something that could interest me. I think they need to do something with those 100 guest rooms they have already built out. Seems like easy money if they’d just lower the price.

LittleBuford

I'm sure Splash reminiscence threads can still be made in the general discussion boards.
It already exists:

Another reason the comparison doesn’t hold is that the Splash discussion was continuing in threads ostensibly about Tiana’s Bayou Adventure. That—and not some imagined ban on supposedly non-PC topics—is why people have been repeatedly asked to stop and remain on-topic.

nickys

Premium Member
It would be interesting to see if they evaluated how much damage the marketing did to the star cruiser. I was actually excited about the project and was considering going, but after I saw the promotional material it just didn’t look like Star Wars and I lost interest. I also noticed lots of YouTubers ripping it to shreds and I felt like that had a cascading effect on the sentiment around the hotel.

Aside from the price, I feel like lucasfilm still doesn’t quite understand certain things about the franchise and makes absolutely boneheaded decisions. I think that the aesthetic, time period and style of the Star cruiser turned a lot of people away. Unless there is leadership change at lucasfilm I’d rather they just stay away from the parks for a bit.
They didn’t market it at all in the UK. There was no information on the UK site, you had to call to find out anything about it.

Which is really odd. There was a lot of interest in certain SW fandom forums. And yet in an email to me when I queried why they hadn’t updated the website the response was “ we include information we consider of interest to our UK visitors”. That suggests a conscious decision NOT to market it here. Odd when most people go for 2 weeks so a 2 night stay would have been easy to add in without taking away park time.

I’m still despondent I didn’t book it for our trip last year. I thought we’d do it on our next trip rather than over Christmas.

TP2000

Anyone do the Star Wars thing at the void?

It was honestly a hoot…and great with kids.

I thought they missed out on some kinda open ended version of that?

I did it at the Anaheim version of the Void. Was there also a WDW version?

I did enjoy it, but not as much as my nephews and their dates (now wives) enjoyed it. It was a fun family thing. I was pretty good at providing cover for the kids as I took out Stormtroopers from the rear. I'm still a fairly good rifleman.

What I remember most however is that we were going to dinner just afterwards at Napa Rose, and the VR vest thing fit clumsily over my sport coat. Why they didn't ask me to remove my sport coat was a mystery. Did they not have any clothes hangers? And the ladies were concerned about re-fluffing and re-establishing their hairdos for the evening after wearing those sweaty headsets. Perhaps not a good fit for a Date Night sort of place like Downtown Disney.

Midwest Elitist

4500 responses which would be what? Less than 10% of the people who went by peoples guestimates? Not a great sample size to fall back on after a paid survey as the starting point to the conversation.
4500 gets you a very accurate poll with a low margin of error. As a matter of fact, the standard to survey the country is randomly sampling 1004 people, with a margin of error of 3%.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom