News Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser Permanently Closed Fall 2023

lazyboy97o

I'm curious to see where this all goes. The results of the Star Cruiser suggest full LARPing-style experiences may not be the future of major players such as Disney, though I haven't seen them come up with many other innovations as far as interactivity is concerned that seem particularly compelling. The last big one that is noticeable to me that seems to have had an impact was the gamification of some of the rides beginning with Buzz Lightyear, but even that they don't seem to have been able to take much beyond variations on shooting at things.

Another thing I'm curious about is how active most guests want to be in the experience beyond being immersed in the overall experience. Maybe there is less appetite for longer, slower rides these days, but perhaps people go to somewhere like Disneyland or Walt Disney World for one thing and look toward gaming or LARPing for other things? 🤷‍♂️
There seems to be a commitment hill that turns guests off at some point. Despite the success of letting guests dress up in certain situations and interactive experiences like immersive theater and escape rooms there seems to be some sort of break down when it’s done at scale. There were huge expectations for Evermore park and it’s just sort of muddled along. It wasn’t the game changer that was expected. People seem to respond the most when the commitment isn’t high, be it an hour long escape room or a free event like Ghost Town Alive.

The greedy decision to shift elements out of Galaxy’s Edge and silo them into Galactic Starcruiser, along with the arrogance regarding demand is probably the big thing that really killed this. There was no way for people to have a low barrier taste that they could easily jump into and feel they could easily bail on as well.

celluloid

People will respond most when a solid concept is well executed. Neither Galactic Failure, SWGE, or Evermore for that matter were.

A real shame about Evermore. A lot of great looking things were going in when first planned. And they leaned heavy in wrong directions. It would have been great to have the best seasonal theme park that part of the United States would have.

It would have also forced Lagoon in Utah to try a little harder.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Mr Flibble is Very Cross.
A real shame about Evermore. A lot of great looking things were going in when first planned. And they leaned heavy in wrong directions. It would have been great to have the best seasonal theme park that part of the United States would have.

It would have also forced Lagoon in Utah to try a little harder.

When it was announced it had promise. Then you got to point where you questioned “what exactly is this?” Is it a resort? A corporate retreat? Or just something that wasn’t thought through properly?

Maybe they can retheme it to Star Wars.

celluloid

When it was announced it had promise. Then you got to point where you questioned “what exactly is this?” Is it a resort? A corporate retreat? Or just something that wasn’t thought through properly?

Maybe they can retheme it to Star Wars.
The fact that it had the same corporate environment people behind The Void tells you all you need to know. They somehow just made a really bad medeval fair out of some decent starting setwork and festivals that please no one.

In themed environments, the duration makes no exponential difference.

The theme parks have moments that are just as immersive as what these places do. They often do it beter. It may not last 40 hours where you have to sleep there, and people are ok with that. They are fine with spending 5 days, 8 hours a day playing a theme park vs being engaged mostly the same way for 40 hours straight.

You get more comfortable place to sleep and variety for the entire audience you bring too.

Ravenclaw78

There's a lot I'd like to say about the sickening amount of schadenfreude going on here, but it'd probably earn me a lifetime ban. :D Suffice it to say that I do not understand the tendency of so many people on Disney boards to root for everything the company does to fail in the vain hope that it'll result in the parks and films magically reverting to how they looked in whatever year the poster's formative memories were made.

I'm very squarely the target market for this. We're late GenX, I actually met my wife at a weekend-long LARP, and we're longtime Star Wars fans. We're not super-hardcore SW fans (I have friends with an encyclopedic knowledge of all things EU and current canon who can tell you the exact measurements and crew complement of an Imperial Star Destroyer, and that's just not where we're at), but we're definitely fans. Our tween daughter is obsessed with Clone Wars and Rebels, and has cosplayed as Ahsoka Tano complete with makeup and the Galaxy's Edge legacy lightsabers (she has also cosplayed as Rey). She's been begging us to do the Starcruiser ever since she first heard the words "Star Wars LARP", and has a character background already written up. The only reason we hadn't done it yet is because we'd committed about $40K and a whole lot of PTO to vacations we'd already booked for 2022 and 2023. We planned to go in January 2024, and are now scrambling to see if we can make it work in July of this year instead (we're not in the 1%; our budget may be larger than many Disney guests but it's not infinite).

For many of our friends with similar backgrounds, though, the price was absolutely a dealbreaker. Our general consensus was that they overpriced the experience by about $1000 for a family of 4. At $1000/person, most of them would have been calling to book trips the instant they opened reservations. I don't know whether it would have been feasible to operate the Starcruiser at that price, but I'm pretty sure they could have filled all the rooms.

The biggest issue other than price was probably replayability. There are multiple paths through the weekend, but the overall plot never changes. I think that if the Starcruiser had been more successful, they would have changed out plotlines eventually. It would have been even cooler if guest activity had an actual impact on the ending, though (i.e. if enough guests went with the First Order path, the Resistance doesn't win in the end). We do have one friend who did it twice, and he was blown away the first time, but the second trip had a lot fewer guests onboard and he felt like the plotline was broken (not enough people for certain activities to have succeeded but the plot kept going as if they had) as a result in a way that might have been avoidable if there was at least wiggle room for adapting to circumstances. And no, he's not a blogger who got paid to praise his first trip. There are a lot of "real people" who paid for it themselves and loved every minute. It seems like you get out of it what you put in.

I have actually received multiple marketing fliers about the Galactic Starcruiser over the last couple of years in both snail mail and e-mail from Disney World, DVC, D23, and Disney Visa, just to comment real quick on that point.

As for timelines, we couldn't care less whether it was set in the OT, prequels, sequels, New Republic era, or even 20,000 years earlier. You're not there to roleplay a heroic X-Wing fighter pilot and hobnob with Princess Leia. You're there to roleplay being a vacationer in the Star Wars universe, and that's actually far more interesting and believable to us anyway. But then, most event LARPers are used to the big influential names and truly powerful characters being NPCs while we play characters at more reasonable levels. There's no reason for any of the well-known characters to show up on the Starcruiser at all, really (even Chewie is an awfully big stretch), and they suck all the air out of the room when they make an appearance. Suddenly, your story isn't about you anymore, you're just a hapless set decoration. If Vader shows up on your ship, every living thing on it dies. Luke, Han, and Leia are busy leading the rebellion or fighting the Empire and hardly have time to care about one random cruise ship. Same with the Sequels. Maybe some 2nd-tier Jedi from the prequels might have shown up in the Prequel timeframe, but certainly not anyone on the Council. So mostly it's just what lapels are on the villain's uniform and which version of Stormtrooper armor his troops are wearing.

Truth is, if they'd built Galaxy's Edge and the Galactic Starcruiser just a couple of years later, they very likely would have set them in the New Republic era (Mandalorian and its spinoffs). That probably would have been a happy medium that pleased fans of all three eras. Even if they'd gone OT, though, Vader could never have been the villain of either the land or the ship, for the simple reason that (as I said above) he never wastes time on trivial things like scaring townspeople into compliance. If he's there, it's because someone has ****ed him or the Emperor off enough that a Dark Lord of the Sith has to show up and demand answers. Kylo Ren, a random Moff, or some warlord from the Imperial remnant, would be much more likely to stand around making ridiculous speeches.

I think I had some other points to make, but I started rambling and now I've forgotten them all...

"El Gran Magnifico"

I do not understand the tendency of so many people on Disney boards to root for everything the company does to fail in the vain hope that it'll result in the parks and films magically reverting to how they looked in whatever year the poster's formative memories were made.

It’s really pretty simple. I don’t “root” for everything Disney does to fail. I “root” for it to be done with some thought, proper planning, good execution and most importantly, I “root” for it to have some relevance for the fan base.

What happens in a lot of cases is some exec pushes for something that is counter to what the fan base actually wants.

Or worse yet, because some exec crunched some numbers and thinks there are some shortcuts that can be taken to maximize profitability at the expense of the experience. Now obviously the exec isn’t aware of the impact to the experience because I question as to how many execs are actually a part of the fan base.

I’m not harking back to “the golden age”. It just PO’s me that a company who based its entire strategy around entertaining the guest has de-emphasized the interaction its CMs have with their guests.

Other than the initial announcement at D23, Disney offered the guest nothing that the guest wanted in this experience.

It’s like AC/DC releasing a jazz album and then wondering why it didn’t sell.

Nothing against jazz btw.

Last edited:

Ravenclaw78

Oh yeah, the other thing I wanted to mention was the Hyperspace Lounge on the Disney Wish cruise ship. It's similar to the Starcruiser in theming, but the cast members don't make any attempt to play characters (not even the limited extent that the Oga's bartenders do). It's boring as @$!%. A lounge like that would be amazing if Disney trained the bar staff to roleplay with guests and help us pretend we've stepped into another world like we do when boarding immersive rides like Smuggler's Run or Flight of Passage.

The Starcruiser was an experiment. I think it succeeded in many ways and failed in others, but when it comes to experiments, failure is always an option. You learn as much (or more) from things not going like you expected as you do from things going as planned. If Disney can take what they did here and scale it down to small spaces like the Hyperspace Lounge or an immersive table service restaurant, they'd have a perpetual money machine on their hands. Maybe an escape room type adventure where you're there for an hour or two instead of a weekend. Things like that. But a hotel that was just "Art of Animation with Star Wars instead of Little Mermaid", especially at the value or moderate resort prices people on this thread would be willing to pay for that, would be the most boring hotel in their portfolio.

celluloid

Oh yeah, the other thing I wanted to mention was the Hyperspace Lounge on the Disney Wish cruise ship. It's similar to the Starcruiser in theming, but the cast members don't make any attempt to play characters (not even the limited extent that the Oga's bartenders do). It's boring as @$!%. A lounge like that would be amazing if Disney trained the bar staff to roleplay with guests and help us pretend we've stepped into another world like we do when boarding immersive rides like Smuggler's Run or Flight of Passage.

The Starcruiser was an experiment. I think it succeeded in many ways and failed in others, but when it comes to experiments, failure is always an option. You learn as much (or more) from things not going like you expected as you do from things going as planned. If Disney can take what they did here and scale it down to small spaces like the Hyperspace Lounge or an immersive table service restaurant, they'd have a perpetual money machine on their hands. Maybe an escape room type adventure where you're there for an hour or two instead of a weekend. Things like that. But a hotel that was just "Art of Animation with Star Wars instead of Little Mermaid", especially at the value or moderate resort prices people on this thread would be willing to pay for that, would be the most boring hotel in their portfolio.

What they learned the most, and I say this with respect as I am a big ol' nerd to the highest emebrassment factor of others at times...

They realized what was obvious in your examples. You have individuals and sometimes wonderful couples who are loving and willing to spend the money to play, but it is not enough of a market. You also have to please the family of four where just one spouse enjoys it but the other three family members or group members are not into it to the same level.

They learned this and you can give intimate moments of interactivity that feel sincere and can send shivers to fans while still pleasing the rest of the party, by having a variety in a larger space and only charging a 100 dollars a day for this due to the entertainmnet in bulk price and allowing a variety for others to divvy the crowds.

They learned why theme parks work the way they do.

Olivander's, grabbing a butterbeer at the counter in a more low-key environment than the full eatery or outside kiosk for thosw willing to explore, wand training interactivity and The Goblin Money Exchange are arguably just as immersive and come at a fraction of the cost that let the consumer choose and the less than participatory members still get the thrills at levels they choose.

Jurassic Park has River Adventure. It also has Camp Jurassic to explore. If you want to love what you loved about the details of the lore, you have had Discovery Center. You can choose to meet a young or more intimidting grown dinosaur up close if that is your willingness.

My wife does not love the process of going to Tom Sawyer's Island, but my son and I love it. It works because she has fun enough once she is there and we move on.

"El Gran Magnifico"

What they learned the most, and I say this with respect as I am a big ol' nerd to the highest emebrassment factor of others at times...

They realized what was obvious in your examples. You have individuals and sometimes wonderful couples who are loving and willing to spend the money to play, but it is not enough of a market. You also have to please the family of four where just one spouse enjoys it but the other three family members or group members are not into it to the same level.

They learned this and you can give intimate moments of interactivity that feel sincere and can send shivers to fans while still pleasing the rest of the party, by having a variety in a larger space and only charging a 100 dollars a day for this due to the entertainmnet in bulk price and allowing a variety for others to divvy the crowds.

Olivander's, grabbing a butterbeer at the counter in a more low-key environment than the full eatery or outside kiosk for thosw willing to explore, wand training interactivity and The Goblin Money Exchange are arguably just as immersive and come at a fraction of the cost that let the consumer choose and the less than participatory members still get the thrills at levels they choose.

Jurassic Park has River Adventure. It also has Camp Jurassic to explore. If you want to love what you loved about the details of the lore, you have had Discovery Center. You can choose to meet a young or more intimidting grown dinosaur up close if that is your willingness.

My wife does not love the process of going to Tom Sawyer's Island, but my son and I love it. It works because she has fun enough once she is there and we move on.

Funny you say that. We always have Potter Uni day. Start at Hogsmeade, rides, stores, shopping, wands, Hogwarts Express, Diagon, rides, dinner, shop, wands, ice cream. It’s a six hour (depending on the line for Hagrids) interactive experience done at our own pace with no schedule. It works.

celluloid

Funny you say that. We always have Potter Uni day. Start at Hogsmeade, rides, stores, shopping, wands, Hogwarts Express, Diagon, rides, dinner, shop, wands, ice cream. It’s a six hour (depending on the line for Hagrids) interactive experience done at our own pace with no schedule. It works.

It works very well and in way better scale than if it was just a great hall interior hotel stay in a facade for 2 grand a family.

Its changed a bit since certain things closed and Velocicoaster came in but I used to spend three hours easily in Jurassic Park discoverying all the details, Jurassic Park River Adventure, the roaming character interactions and the Triceratops Discovery Trail and The Discovery Center.

My brother and sister in-laws could not or chose not to and that aws cool. They went and did Dueling Dragons and we had a great time at JP with the kids and their young cousins.

"El Gran Magnifico"

It works very well and in way better scale than if it was just a great hall interior hotel stay in a facade for 2 grand a family.

Its changed a bit since certain things closed and Velocicoaster came in but I used to spend three hours easily in Jurassic Park discoverying all the details, Jurassic Park River Adventure, the roaming character interactions and the Triceratops Discovery Trail and The Discovery Center.

My brother and sister in-laws could not or chose not to and that aws cool. They went and did Dueling Dragons and we had a great time at JP with the kids and their young cousins.
Idn’t great that Veloci is on EP. I’ll be there tomorrow for 5 nights at Cabana Bay.

Ravenclaw78

100% agreed

celluloid

Idn’t great that Veloci is on EP. I’ll be there tomorrow for 5 nights at Cabana Bay.

It is. Have fun, and look for me in the queue video. I am just one of the blurry faces in a photo on the counter of the control center.(It was taken by a team involved at the old venue where Velocicoaster currently sits, (which was Raptor Encounter) I love talking shop of why themed entertainment works well when it does and what psychology in it kind of shows. Now I teach far away from any decent theme parks.

With Velocicoaster It is not only Early Park admission, but also Express Pass now too for those Deluxe guests. The perks are amazing!

I will be back "home" for HHN time, but Tokyo are the only theme parks I will be spending a ton of money on anytime soon.

Last edited:

"El Gran Magnifico"

It is. Have fun, and look for me in the queue video. I am just one of the blurry faces in a photo on the counter of the control center.

It is not only Early Park admission, but also Express Pass now too. The perks are amazing.
I live an hour forty-five away. It used to be 75/25 Disney. Now it’s about 60/40 Uni.

Disney hasn’t lost me yet. But they may eventually after EPIC.

celluloid

I live an hour forty-five away. It used to be 75/25 Disney. Now it’s about 60/40 Uni.

Disney hasn’t lost me yet. But they may eventually after EPIC.

I get it. I said goodbye to my WDW Annual Pass that was off and on, for the final time in early 2022. Its tough because I have two kids and I wish it had some of the charm for them that it did for me. But there are aspects of others places they even prefer more.

They are pretty excited about Tokyo, not as much as me, too bad its out of my budget to go often if ever again. But it would make a great alternative for me instead of WDW until things appeal to my family more again.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom