News Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser Permanently Closed Fall 2023

TheCoasterNerd

In the Parks
No
windows and access to the parks
Which ones? A pool? (Honest question and not sarcasm)

I feel like that wouldn't be too bog an issue. Just paste a small warning message somewhere during the pay process that it won't include things such as a pool etc. Then slap a "cheaper" than normal price during summer months to compensate for that. I guarantee people would forego certain amenities for the theming.

Sir_Cliff

I'm guessing they lock the doors and walk away
Agreed. I don't think any aspect of keeping this open in an altered form would make much sense for Disney.

Beyond its size, it also sits in a kind of awkward location off to the side of DHS. As a hotel, it's not big enough to support the costs of integrating it into the WDW transport network, etc. As a themed experience, it's too far from DHS to be integrated into the park going experience.

If they want a Star Wars hotel or to bring elements of the experience to DHS, they'd be better off dedicating some of that $17 billion to either build a new hotel fit for purpose or facilities attached to the existing theme park.

MandaM

Back when Solo movie released there was a massive thing about Lando being pansexual and feelings for a droid. The droid also wanted equal rights.

I think it’s just stuff people didn’t need throwing at them in a kids movie
There was nothing overt about Lando or the droid. Nothing on screen. And Star Wars films aren’t “kids movies.”

FettFan

For Tower of Terror you can go even simpler. Imagine a Space220 style “Tip Top Club” added to the side that takes you back in time to the Hollywood Tower Hotel’s heyday with in character cast and live Jazz.

No risk of a failed hotel.

That would be awesome…presumably with its own haunted “elevator” (see: Living Seas Hydrolators) that would serve as the entryway.

MandaM

There's also "I can do anything without any training at all because I'm a woman"-Rey.

In the last movie I watched (VIII) the Admiral (I don't remember her title) was quite belligerent and treated Finn and the other guy like dogs because they were men.

It's the whole "The Force is Female" bit.

If you look back at the original (IV, V, & VI) movies, Leia was an exceptionally strong character without being off-putting. She controlled the situations and spoke to people like they were actual people (not "lesser people"). Her character also evolved with the story.

Adding to that, sexualizing characters that don't need to be sexualized is an on-going problem in Hollywood. I don't need to know that Elliot (Pete's dragon) has a thing for other male dragons... It wouldn't add anything to the story (and would be forced)... Just let Elliot be the magical dragon he is. (they didn't do this - it's an example)
Rey’s character is an example of an agenda that will destroy Disney? Because she wasn’t nice enough? Thats…an interesting take. And what sexualization on screen are you talking about?

TheMaxRebo

This is a good point. Also, the hotel not only doesn't have a pool, it doesn't have any outdoors areas. There isn't a lot of land around the hotel to develop an outside area that is masked from the roads around it. They would also need to do something with the outside of the building since it doesn't look like anything now.

Another question is, would it be economical to operate such a small hotel.

Not at a reasonable price point.

But bmayb they could make it work as more of a boutique experience.... So take out the overarching storyline, make a lot of the "extras" optional pair add ones and charge $800/now ght for a room, $150/person for the dinner show, something like that

Make it so a family could go and use it as their resort with some extra Star Wars elements, but not a 2 day experience for $6k

Trauma

I still don’t buy the price point argument. Sure it’s part of the equation but it’s not everything.

Make the experience a must do.

Even if their hotel was free I would still rather just pay to stay at Boardwalk.

People pay $1200 a year for a new iPhone for a better camera or something.

It’s not that people couldn’t afford this, it’s just the people who can do not want it.

drod1985

If you look back at the original (IV, V, & VI) movies, Leia was an exceptionally strong character without being off-putting. She controlled the situations and spoke to people like they were actual people (not "lesser people").
“I don't know who you are, or where you came from, but from now on you'll do as I tell you, okay?”

"Somebody get this walking carpet out of my way"

"I don't know where you get your delusions from, laser brain"

"You stuck-up, half-witted, scruffy-looking nerf herder"

Sir_Cliff

I still don’t buy the price point argument. Sure it’s part of the equation but it’s not everything.

Make the experience a must do.

Even if their hotel was free I would still rather just pay to stay at Boardwalk.

People pay $1200 a year for a new iPhone for a better camera or something.

It’s not that people couldn’t afford this, it’s just the people who can do not want it.
I think it's still an open question how many people are interested in flying down to Orlando and paying big bucks for a LARPing experience and whether that number was ever enough to keep a hotel like this running year-round.

The other question is how much they would have had to spend to entice that market should it exist and whether the whole thing would fail to make financial sense at that point.

Ayla

I WOULD spend the money to stay in a Haunted Mansion or Hollywood Tower Hotel experience... and have the days at the parks like normal and some fun effects thrown in during the stay...an elaborate banquet one night (999 Happy Haunts Ball)...Plus an available completely crazy themed cocktail lounge open the entire stay..... That would be a winning combination in my mind... It is still a WDW vacation with some added fun and frights and a beautifully done, completely unique place to stay...But it would have to be designed the right way...start to finish...Immersive, luxe and theatrical... And they would not need to have a special shuttle transport, or special ride time on the Haunted mansion
There are so many things that could be done with a concept like you posted that don't involve cosplay, larping, locking you into the hotel for 2 days, or spending an inordinate amount of time on your phone to enjoy the over-priced experience.

Tha Realest

Years ago Iger stated that they will be making "Better bets" on theme park additions tying them to IP. Their very loose understanding of themed entertainment is that it's a vehicle to further leverage existing brands.

The Galactic Starcruiser would never have been built if Star Wars wasn't attached. While a completely different type of experience, I imagine that if Night Kingdom had a viable IP attached to it, it would have also happened. This is the type of risk they are now willing to take. I like that they're still willing to take risks, but these types of risks make less sense when each of the four parks needs more rides. They stepped away from their core business in an effort to move up market and it didn't work. I applaud them for recognizing it so quickly.

Galactic Starcruiser didn't fail because of a lack of quality. It failed because the price point made it a non-starter for too many people.
It failed because of both. Because they could not sustainably deliver that quality at a lower price point.

Ayla

Which ones? A pool? (Honest question and not sarcasm)

I feel like that wouldn't be too bog an issue. Just paste a small warning message somewhere during the pay process that it won't include things such as a pool etc. Then slap a "cheaper" than normal price during summer months to compensate for that. I guarantee people would forego certain amenities for the theming.
Oh, you know, the basics, like windows. It also has very weird configurations of beds.

Ayla

Rey’s character is an example of an agenda that will destroy Disney? Because she wasn’t nice enough? Thats…an interesting take. And what sexualization on screen are you talking about?
It's also interesting that that behavior is somehow offensive when the shoe is on the other foot. 🤔

Trauma

I think it's still an open question how many people are interested in flying down to Orlando and paying big bucks for a LARPing experience and whether that number was ever enough to keep a hotel like this running year-round.

The other question is how much they would have had to spend to entice that market should it exist and whether the whole thing would fail to make financial sense at that point.
This doesn’t seem like rocket science. Poll the adults showing up to major Star Wars
Conventions.

What’s the average income ?

That’s how you figure out what price point you have to be at.

Maybe I’m wrong but that seems like a better plan to me then whatever Disney did.

Jrb1979

Yeah you will get your hardcore Star Wars fans but for it to have been successful they needed the casual Disney visitor to do it as well. The problem I see is that aside from the price point is how many people would take 2 days out of their weeks vacation to do this?

Mike S

That would be awesome…presumably with its own haunted “elevator” (see: Living Seas Hydrolators) that would serve as the entryway.
That’s why I referenced Space220 as you go up a “space elevator” in that.

Picture if you will entering a side entrance to the Hollywood Tower Hotel near the gift shop to board what looks to be an old decrepit elevator not unlike the regular ride except you’re in a guest elevator not a maintenance elevator. A Rod Serling narration plays and the elevator goes dark. When the lights come back on, it likes like it could’ve been built yesterday. The all too familiar *ding* plays that indicates you’ve arrived at your floor. A friendly bellhop greets you as the door opens to a fancy 1930’s Jazz club with music, the smell of great food, and a dance floor.

“Welcome to The Tip Top Club!”

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom