News Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser Permanently Closed Fall 2023

flynnibus

Premium Member
Sure, there wasn't an investigative section where she went undercover to dig up Disney's secret plans to further paywall the SW experience, but...
Hyperboyle aside... a lack of information is not a free-pass to make up your own.

Speaking as someone with a great financial stake in this business, customer's perception is reality. The onus is on Disney to better understand the impact of their communications and the logical conclusions their customers come to based on the company's actions.

Yawn... if you chase conspiracy theories you'll never win. It's always best to lead with customer wins - a happy customer will ignore the noise.

MrPromey

Ooooh. Which part is that?

I don't remember exactly where it was but she makes mention of the fact that many of the influencers who did reviews were not given the full two day experience but instead, a partial single day where they got some things live, bookended by a Disney rep enthusiastically telling them what would have happened just before or after what they're experiencing. She also had footage from somewhere showing this.

She then went on to comment (in a catty way intended for humor) that she recognized one influencer in particular where they created the impression they'd had the whole stay when they hadn't and her analogy was it would be like going to a restaurant where they talk about a great meal and then only let you sample the desert and you go back and write or say something like "after an amazing meal, we're treated with the mouth watering to die for desert" (I'm paraphrasing the quote) where the reviewer is being intentionally deceptive.

She kind of points out the virtuous cycle around all of this: The more exclusive access you make it appear you get, the more clout you appear to have to your followers which in turn makes you more attractive to Disney to court for more free and exclusive stuff which makes you again, more appealing to clicks and views with a growing audience and once you're on that cycle, the last thing a lot of people want to do is rock the cart by saying anything negative since vloggers and influencers don't typically work from the same level of moral standards actual journalists are taught and expected to adhere to and Disney is happy to exploit that.*

*Which you know, more power to Disney, here. This is marketing for an entertainment company - it's not like we're talking polotics or world affairs, here but still it's a bit of a corrupt system that does have an influence on how people spend their money, in some cases, a lot of money.

Last edited:

fgmnt

like a situation where the people doing the facility probably weren't owners of the transportion element of the experience
My understanding is that you

1) were given a check in window
2) you self report to the building at the check in window
3) you take the elevator up into the ship

There were a finite and known number of guests every day and the transportation elements were either directed by Disney for the guests to handle themselves or physically integral to the starcruiser.

A lot of things benefit with hindsight. Alternatively, this company had >50 years of hindsight for hotel operations and >65 years of hindsight for queuing operations by the time this place opened. Why is there complete amateur execution on check in for this luxury product?

Vegas Disney Fan

We were tempted by the Starcruiser, and would be 10x more tempted by a Harry Potter experience, but I still can’t see any scenario where we’d spend $6k for such a short experience... we’ve got enough disposable income we could have done it but apparently not the level of disposable income to be the target market. There’s hundreds, probably thousands, of other vacation options we‘d rather spend that money on.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
She kind of points out the virtuous cycle around all of this: The more exclusive access you make it appear you get, the more clout you appear to have with your followers which in turn makes you more attractive to Disney to court for more free and exclusive stuff to which makes you again, more appealing to clicks and views with a growing audience and once you're on that cycle, the last thing a lot of people want to do is rock the cart by saying anything negative since vloggers and influencers don't typically work from the same level of moral standards actual journalists are taught and expected to adhere to and Disney is happy to exploit that.*
Ohh.. HOT TAKE!

It should be mentioned for context that her 'takedown' here isn't about Disney or Starcruiser, but an attack on disingenuous influencers. But again, she attacks without real context. How do you know the people she is referring to ONLY did the media preview? That they didn't do other stays too? Because you have no real context... you just gotta go along with her assumption...

time cued...

The other odd point is she leads in with saying in 'transparency' that not all influencers got a full visit... and then literally plays the TheTrackers video where they CLEARLY MAKE IT OBVIOUS that both Disney and the influencer are up front it's a preview, not the full experience. Sounded more like sour grapes over not being on the bus to me.

flynnibus

Premium Member
A lot of things benefit with hindsight. Alternatively, this company had >50 years of hindsight for hotel operations and >65 years of hindsight for queuing operations by the time this place opened. Why is there complete amateur execution on check in for this luxury product?
I think that's exactly what my post spoke to.

Experience doesn't count if they aren't part of the process.

ConfettiCupcake

So many of the issues ultimately lead back to the cost.

I just don’t think there’s a lot of wiggle room for them to work out the kinks as they go or excuses for the poor execution that some people experienced at that price point.

ConfettiCupcake

Ohh.. HOT TAKE!

It should be mentioned for context that her 'takedown' here isn't about Disney or Starcruiser, but an attack on disingenuous influencers. But again, she attacks without real context. How do you know the people she is referring to ONLY did the media preview? That they didn't do other stays too? Because you have no real context... you just gotta go along with her assumption...

time cued...

The other odd point is she leads in with saying in 'transparency' that not all influencers got a full visit... and then literally plays the TheTrackers video where they CLEARLY MAKE IT OBVIOUS that both Disney and the influencer are up front it's a preview, not the full experience. Sounded more like sour grapes over not being on the bus to me.

IIRC her point with including Tim Tracker was literally to say he was one of the only ones who made it clear it was not a full experience. She included it because it was obvious.

She knows the other people only did the media preview likely because of the timing of their glowing reviews and how they were posted before they would have had a chance to go properly on a full trip. The same way we the Disney online public knew it too. Again IIRC it was trickled out shortly after the ‘it’s worth every penny!’ reviews started flowing in from influencers that they didn’t even have a full excursion, I don’t recall it being a secret.

fgmnt

I think that's exactly what my post spoke to.

Experience doesn't count if they aren't part of the process.
I understand. I read it as you excusing some sort of operational breakdown where instead the project as a whole did not involve people who would make those considerations and take ownership over closing these gaps.

I wonder if a consideration was ever made to beta test elements of the narrative experience (the stories, the games, the app, the itinerary) in whole or in part. Rent out a warehouse in the LA area to build an environment, and run a day camp. Probably could have gotten actual guest feedback on it before just rolling it out. So many places where it was evident to me thoughts were either never present in the decisionmaking rooms or were completely steamrolled.

flynnibus

Premium Member
A simple mechanic people have to remember...

Disney is not going to undercut itself with it's own products. If Disney is selling a theme park ticket for $100, Disney isn't going to market a new, better theme park that is more exclusive.. and charge $50.

Disney's approach to the pricing was clear all the way back in 2017... they were modeling on people that already buy the cadillac version of WDW/Disney... all inclusive dining, entertainment, expensive deluxes, etc and 'how much more do you think this would be worth?'... key word.. MORE. They know what these people spend a day... and when they were going to introduce a unique, highly individualized and personal low volume product... it was never going to be priced at or below those established norms.

Posters here didn't want to hear it... they had their hearts set on a 'star wars hotel' and their own desires for a star wars product.. and everyone was crushed when the pricing was more like it was being projected to be. A low volume, high dollar experience.

I think the failures in the product and the handling of the marketing doomed it... but people still clinging to the notion of 'well it was just a lot cheaper' are just setting themselves up for forever disappointment. Unless the product vision changes... all inclusive, personalized long duration 360 experiences are never going to be priced like the mass market product.

ConfettiCupcake

A simple mechanic people have to remember...

Disney is not going to undercut itself with it's own products. If Disney is selling a theme park ticket for $100, Disney isn't going to market a new, better theme park that is more exclusive.. and charge $50.

Disney's approach to the pricing was clear all the way back in 2017... they were modeling on people that already buy the cadillac version of WDW/Disney... all inclusive dining, entertainment, expensive deluxes, etc and 'how much more do you think this would be worth?'... key word.. MORE. They know what these people spend a day... and when they were going to introduce a unique, highly individualized and personal low volume product... it was never going to be priced at or below those established norms.

Posters here didn't want to hear it... they had their hearts set on a 'star wars hotel' and their own desires for a star wars product.. and everyone was crushed when the pricing was more like it was being projected to be. A low volume, high dollar experience.

I think the failures in the product and the handling of the marketing doomed it... but people still clinging to the notion of 'well it was just a lot cheaper' are just setting themselves up for forever disappointment. Unless the product vision changes... all inclusive, personalized long duration 360 experiences are never going to be priced like the mass market product.

You’re right, they know under the right circumstances people will spend spend spend. I think its failure further cements that they did a poor job delivering on value. Not just the perception of the value due to poor marketing, the value.

I’m certain there is a market for a premium experience above what their regularly expensive experiences are, but the Starcruiser apparently didn’t deliver that.

flynnibus

Premium Member
IIRC her point with including Tim Tracker was literally to say he was one of the only ones who made it clear it was not a full experience. She included it because it was obvious.
She literally didn't say anything to highlight Tim's video as being clear.. she rolls right into his video after introducing the problem statement... and in fact never acknowledges the tracker's video as being forthcoming. Instead moves onto her next assertion that not only did some not get the full experience, but also claimed otherwise. It's a 1-2 combination that creates conflict between her cites and the 'consequences' she is setting up.

Her words...
"I also need to point out in the interest of transparency that many of the people brought out for press and influencer marketing actually didn't experience the gameplay they were given an a bridged presentation of the story and then dropped into a play scene and from what I can tell they did interact with the app at all ..."

[trackers video]

"...some influencers did experience the full length stay but not all of them it was sort of a pecking order only the biggest Publications and influencers with the highest follower counts got to do the whole thing thing and not to name names but I did notice some familiar faces in the background of the videos of The Abridged experience who later claimed on their own social media that they did the full thing which feels a little deceptive but what else should we expect from a channel that buys subscribers..."

She knows the other people only did the media preview likely because of the timing of their glowing reviews and how they were posted before they would have had a chance to go properly on a full trip. The same way we the Disney online public knew it too. Again IIRC it was trickled out shortly after the ‘it’s worth every penny!’ reviews started flowing in from influencers that they didn’t even have a full excursion, I don’t recall it being a secret.

So again.. highlighting there are suckups in the influencer world... but no hard facts about claims vs facts. It's just more of the blurring of details that is commonly used...

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
You’re right, they know under the right circumstances people will spend spend spend. I think its failure further cements that they did a poor job delivering on value. Not just the perception of the value due to poor marketing, the value.

I’m certain there is a market for a premium experience above what their regularly expensive experiences are, but the Starcruiser apparently didn’t deliver that.

Yup and I think doing things like pandering to the mass market social media audience from the start was a massive blunder. The marketing of this this was a trainwreck from the get go to levels I can't ever remember seeing from the company.

The product is ambitious to try at scale... the way Disney shut the door here now though, it seems like it will take moving a mountain for them to try again. Unless someone else shows them how to do it first...

flynnibus

Premium Member
I understand. I read it as you excusing some sort of operational breakdown where instead the project as a whole did not involve people who would make those considerations and take ownership over closing these gaps.
Not excusing - but theorizing on 'how could this have happened?'. It's commentary probably more about their organizational approach to this and not that people are dumb.. they are just too narrowly focused on one element, while failing to embrace the significance of others. This is commonly seen when you lack the right stakeholders at the table.. and again theorizing that the identity crisis of what you call this to thing to be... (or how you are structured organizationally) can lead to these types of omissions.

I wonder if a consideration was ever made to beta test elements of the narrative experience (the stories, the games, the app, the itinerary) in whole or in part. Rent out a warehouse in the LA area to build an environment, and run a day camp. Probably could have gotten actual guest feedback on it before just rolling it out. So many places where it was evident to me thoughts were either never present in the decisionmaking rooms or were completely steamrolled.

Well obviously they were doing these things in smaller pieces (including with the public)... but integration is where the rubber meets the road. It's hard to dry run something e2e like this.. but it is a shame given how bold the concept was they didn't find a way to do it in a more graduated way. I think Disney's ego probably has a role in that too...

MrPromey

Ohh.. HOT TAKE!

time cued...

Hard to believe it's sour grapes. I'm pretty sure she knows she'll never be "on the bus" and she knows exactly why.

She even makes the point in this very video about how crappy it is they magically fixed things for her they said there was nothing they could do to help her with after someone discovered she had a lot of twitter followers.

This isn't someone pulling for "influencer" clout.

She does no "marketing" and she pays for her trips with a patreon account that has a pretty good sized base that she doesn't really push anyone to join. That's why she doesn't need to be "on the bus" for this stuff. She doesn't need a Disney handout to do these sorts of trips.

For what it's worth, her last Youtube upload was nearly a year ago about Evermore and it was four hours long (I'm sure you'd hate it, too) so whatever you think she's doing for some personal brand (which some people have mentioned here that may give you that idea) or what big plot she has with posting something like this, I see no evidence to point to that.

I know a lot of people are uppity and excited because this person in this video is saying all these things they've been thinking but it's important to separate the video and it's creator from the people who are trying to use it to bludgeon other's in trivial arguments.

You want to attack this as some sort of poorly put together journalistic exposé just like other people are acting like it's the be-all-end all. I think both are laughably stupid approaches to what this video actually is which is why in that other thread, I was calling out other people on the other side (which you gave likes to, I might add) the same way I was calling out your behavior.

Anyway, you're right - this is one person giving their personal trip report and mostly their own opinion. I'm pretty sure she'd agree with that. You don't like the title of her video? Email her about it if you're that bothered.

I highly doubt the person who does things like a nearly hour and a half review of weird church plays incorporating lots of unlicensed characters from pop culture that she found on a Canadian church's website was looking for national media coverage on her four hour video here or to be used as an argument point by people in forums and on reddit like is happening.

So not that I expect you to listen but instead of attacking the credibility or what you feel is biased journalism from the creator, you might do better to point out to the people on the other side of your argument that this is mostly a trip report and opinion piece from one person who very much likes to go into great detail about archaic stuff (just look at the channel) and who's viewers mostly dig that level of discussion and not an article from Rolling Stone by a paid journalist.

Even though big news media outlets have been "picking this up" this wasn't some exhaustively fact-checked documentary or write up for major media - it's just something one person made on their own time that the world is somehow treating as more important than it is.

As far as I can see, she didn't ask to be lionized. She just did something like she's done many times before over the years and this one, for whatever reason, took hold and got a life of its own.

Attacking the creator and her way of doing things is just making you come across like a complete bob ____ and harry which is why so many people are pushing back on you here that might otherwise agree with some of your points.

Just something to consider.

Also, your time queued video seems to be off - it's near the part about the pole talk in the restaurant so you might want to fix that for anyone else reading.

Last edited:

Gusey

She literally didn't say anything to highlight Tim's video as being clear.. she rolls right into his video after introducing the problem statement... and in fact never acknowledges the tracker's video as being forthcoming. Instead moves onto her next assertion that not only did some not get the full experience, but also claimed otherwise. It's a 1-2 combination that creates conflict between her cites and the 'consequences' she is setting up.
The Tim Tracker segment literally has the words "Tim's vlog was the most transparent about the situation!"

ConfettiCupcake

The Tim Tracker segment literally has the words "Tim's vlog was the most transparent about the situation!"

Okay thank you! I was going to go back and check later when I had time because it was bothering me that I thought I had completely manufactured her pointing out that he was one of the transparent ones lol.

JMcMahonEsq

Its funny, just personal opinion, but I honestly felt they did deliver on the value of the experience. I am just not sure, even with potentially different marketing or smoother implementation that the market exists at the price point needed to deliver good value.

Even with time, hindsight, trial and error, and working out efficiencies, this type of exclusive fully interactive/immersive experience is going to come with a premium cost that some, if not many people would be unwilling or unable to afford, even if they assumed they were getting great value out of it. At some point the cost of the experience is not affordable for some demographics, independent of if your getting value for it.

Second, without some major alterations/changes, I didn't get the "replayability" of the experience, even as a big star wars fan. That becomes a huge issue for any type of offering, but especially one where your market demographic already has 2 other limiting factors (cost and being a fan of star wars being 2 of them.) We had a great time on our cruise. Both adults and kids had alot of fun. But it was an experience that we didn't feel the need to rush back to, having experienced it. Its not like coming back to book a deluxe room year after year, or purchasing Genie+ or after hour tickets every year. Absent alot of annual changes to the offerings, we weren't going to be tempted to go back the following year. So your left with an expensive offering, with limited customer base. With those 2 variables i think you need to rely on repeat customers to be successful.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I provided the transcript and cued video to support my POV. Can you do the same?

I didn't hear her say that in the video, nor can I find it in the transcript. It's not in the segment I was referring to AFAIK.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Could it be possible it was making money, but not making "enough money" so they shut it down.

Disney's theme park business is much different than their movie business. In their movie business they don't care about making money, but in their theme park business the not only must make money but they must hit numbers, margins in my opinion.

They pulled the plug in a year…

There was absolutely no money potential there.

This is a company that takes a decade or sometimes much longer to install a ride based on wildly successful animated films that rake merch

There was no “there” there

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom