News Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser Permanently Closed Fall 2023

FettFan

I think over time it became pretty clear what it was from all the reviews and videos - just what it was didn't appeal to enough people sufficiently to get them to be willing to pay the pricing

I mean, you basically needed to hit the center of a ven diagram that included:

- into / open to Star Wars
- not anti-Disney Star Wars/sequel trilogy
- into/open to immersion/role playing
- willing to devote 3 days/2 nights to this
- could afford it

Now add in that there was only one storyline so how many people that met the above willing to pay that much to repeat it?

It could be the most amazing exoeri nice ever, but just too small of a population

It also hurt that a number of people who *did* hit that Venn Diagram center were then turned off by the cringewothy promotional videos.

Exhibit A:
Josh D'Amaro haplessly flailing around waving a plastic lightsaber.

Exhibit B:

DisneyWall-E

Need an unlisted wall.
Or a giant animated Bob Iger looking in on you to keep people working. Because, you never know when it will switch to a live feed...
maxresdefault.jpg

Epcot81Fan

It also hurt that a number of people who *did* hit that Venn Diagram center were then turned off by the cringewothy promotional videos.

Exhibit A:

Exhibit B:

You don't get it - all of that looks TOTALLY different when you're there!

You can't judge by those videos of the Playskool lightsaber and Chucky Cheese bridge. It looks nothing like that!!!!

Splash4eva

Here's a picture taken Friday of the Galactic Starcruiser from Bioreconstruct on Twitter X formerly known as Twitter.

As you can see, there's not a single car in the parking lot, not a single work truck in sight. The place is abandoned and forgotten already. Whatever the plans the Communications intern for Sidekick Tightpants might have claimed they were working on for this failed concept, it obviously isn't going to happen anytime soon. Perhaps not even this decade.

F-Ndg7wWEAA0Cq5
Is anyone really shocked tho?

Splash4eva

As was told to me back in mid June, Starcruiser is not going to be repurposed into anything for guests to visit. If there are any elements that can be stripped and used for spare parts and tech elsewhere on property, they will do so. The building will then be used for storage/utiility space and most likely employee offices.
This would have been useful to store Spectro years ago

TP2000

Exhibit A:

Exhibit B:

Exactly. To be fair to the Starcruiser, this type of recent cringe from Disney Parks and WDI isn't exclusive to the Starcruiser project. But it did hit its peak with the pre-opening Starcruiser stuff they put out. How on earth could the largest entertainment empire on the planet not realize this planned PR was just so pukey and cringey to almost everyone who saw it? :rolleyes:

I'd love to know who they've got running their PR groups now, and how in heck they get this stuff approved for mass media distribution. Whatever team that is, they are doing it wrong. And in the case of the Starcruiser stuff from 2022-23 they were doing it spectacularly wrong. The word cringe is putting it lightly.

Why they chose Ann Morrow and that short man from The Goldbergs sitcom to hype this thing is particularly baffling.

1111zp_0388kp11.jpg

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Do you all get together in a meeting and assign days to determine who's going to post this week's recurring cringegate pictures?

It'll be 2028 and someone will still be posting a picture of the captain attempting to make the whole world agree that the Starcruiser was never good in any way and anyone who did enjoy it is somehow mentally deficient because they can't recognize CRINGE when they see it.

Epcot81Fan

Exactly. To be fair to the Starcruiser, this type of recent cringe from Disney Parks and WDI isn't exclusive to the Starcruiser project. But it did hit its peak with the pre-opening Starcruiser stuff they put out. How on earth could the largest entertainment empire on the planet not realize this planned PR was just so pukey and cringey to almost everyone who saw it? :rolleyes:

I'd love to know who they've got running their PR groups now, and how in heck they get this stuff approved for mass media distribution. Whatever team that is, they are doing it wrong. And in the case of the Starcruiser stuff from 2022-23 they were doing it spectacularly wrong. The word cringe is putting it lightly
For a second, I thought that was a screengrab from Empire Strikes Back.

Uncanny.

Vegas Disney Fan

maybe they could move the offices out of the park area and into this building to free up space for in-park expansion...and yea a shower and private bath would be a lovely perk of the Galactic StarCruiser Office Park....
From the outside of the building it looks like ther windows to the outside could be opened for natural light...
This is probably the best repurpose I've read for the building, it already has the kitchen and cafeteria, rooms that could easily be turned into conference rooms, etc, and lots of space around it to add more office and storage buildings. It's expensive office space but could free up some prime real estate for park expansions.

Dutch Inn '76

I know we all grew up with episodes 4/5/6, but my kids are much more interested in episodes 7/8/9 and are honestly disappointed when we watch any movies that Rey is not in.
Really?!? Bizarre. Not my kids. It's all OT and Clone Wars in my hacienda. Rogue One & Mandalorian make appearances too...

Tha Realest

One would think, even if WDI is working a 36 hour work week now, that there would at least be a trash dumpster or two on site to prep it for its next use. If there even is a "next use" for it.

From the aerial photos a month into Fiscal 2024... that thing looks abandoned and forgotten.
One thing we know about that location in Florida is that the geography is highly conducive to leaving properties you want to keep using unattended and without active HVAC systems.

FettFan

It’s almost like Star Wars fans don’t all like the same things.

Fail Empire Strikes Back GIF by Star Wars

“You” in this case being the Galactic Starcruiser.

Maybe they should have offered three different SW eras? (In addition to steep price drops, of course)

Prequel Trilogy/Clone Wars from October to January
Classic Trilogy/Mandalorian from February to May
Sequel Trilogy from June to September

asianway

I'd love to know who they've got running their PR groups now, and how in heck they get this stuff approved for mass media distribution. Whatever team that is, they are doing it wrong. And in the case of the Starcruiser stuff from 2022-23 they were doing it spectacularly wrong. The word cringe is putting it lightly.

Why they chose Ann Morrow and that short man from The Goldbergs sitcom to hype this thing is particularly baffling.

1111zp_0388kp11.jpg
Even Regis couldn’t have pulled this one off

celluloid

Well, there will be a new luxory-based Space asthetic resort opening by January 2025.

This is just a room photo. But photos of the lobby and other common areas showcase similar enough intergalactic inspired imagery and design. Makes me curious to the celestial theming of the hub of the park.

1699460950567.png

Last edited:

_caleb

Fail Empire Strikes Back GIF by Star Wars

“You” in this case being the Galactic Starcruiser.

Maybe they should have offered three different SW eras? (In addition to steep price drops, of course)

Prequel Trilogy/Clone Wars from October to January
Classic Trilogy/Mandalorian from February to May
Sequel Trilogy from June to September
Maybe. I can see how something like this might help connect with multiple audiences (and maybe even help them identify which SW storyline/setting might keep the Starcruiser in business), but I suspect changes like this would have negatively impacted quality. There’s a reason they shut it down rather than switching it up.

Bocabear

Well, there will be a new luxory-based Space asthetic resort opening by January 2025.

This is just a room photo. But photos of the lobby and other common areas showcase similar enough intergalactic inspired imagery and design. Makes me curious to the celestial theming of the hub of the park.

View attachment 753253
That looks very nice... And after seeing what they did with their other hotels, I am sure it is going to be beautiful.
Their Cabana Bay moderate resort is really beautifully done and offers much more than the Disney moderates...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom