News Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser Permanently Closed Fall 2023

Screamface

…what if it had top shelf blue milk? 🤔
OIG (2).jpg_47eda438-9a28-45f7-b2f6-126fe96fe544.jpg_1a977df1-592d-4360-95af-ccd075396403.jpg

Last edited:

FettFan

So is using it for storage or cast member break area.

Speculation: Parks & Resorts will lease it to Lucasfilm as interior filming locations for Andor S2, Ashoka S2, and Mandalorian S4.

The rooms could become work and resting space for the production crew.

Heck, with a little bit of elbow grease, they could even decorate it to fit the Marvel universe for Wakanda D+ series.

AEfx

I don't think anyone is defending the business model, obviously the ROI just isn't there at those price levels. I'm only saying from a creative point of view, Disney knocked it out of the park and that's my point. People are pointing to those line dancing videos as proof that it was a bad product. The product was fantastic, the business model wasn't.

Oh, I would highly disagree that they knocked anything "out of the park".

Just look back at the threads here when the actual itineraries were finally made available, you had massive Star Wars fans like myself just laugh at it all. Card games, costume parades, and phone games? LOL.

And then once people actually saw the inside - the vast majority of it looked like "Random 90's sci-fi show", the bar and cafeteria area was glorified high-school prom level of deco, there was so little Star Wars in it, that it truly was unimaginable. Even the excellent CM's couldn't put lipstick on that bantha poo.

Of course, the original sin of the place was that they themed it after the Sequel Trilogy, which, everyone can feel however they want about the quality of those films, but the hard facts are that Star Wars fans who spend money on Star Wars don't spend any money on ST things. In terms of Star Wars merchandising they just don't exist any more, they pretty much stopped making anything related to it by the time of the final film but at this point it's absolutely vanished. If the GSC had been "come be a Rebel and battle Darth Vader!" it would have lasted far longer, even with it's rather pathetic offerings.

No, I can't say they "hit it out of the park" on any level - more that it literally is the biggest boondoggle in the history of Disney theme parks. Rocket Rods, SGE, and SuperStar Limo can now rest in peace knowing that they were but minor miscalculations compared to the absolutely herculean task Disney accomplished in somehow taking the most in-demand IP of all time, spending all the money they did on what was many fans ultimate dream - only to produce this turd of an project and try to sell a 48 hour experience for the price of a used car.

LittleBuford

Just look back at the threads here when the actual itineraries were finally made available, you had massive Star Wars fans like myself just laugh at it all. Card games, costume parades, and phone games? LOL.

And then once people actually saw the inside - the vast majority of it looked like "Random 90's sci-fi show", the bar and cafeteria area had it was glorified high-school prom level of deco, there was so little Star Wars in it, that it truly was unimaginable.

Of course, the original sin of the place was that they themed it after the Sequel Trilogy, which, everyone can feel however they want about the quality of those films, but the hard facts are that Star Wars fans who spend money on Star Wars don't spend any money on ST things. In terms of Star Wars merchandising they just don't exist any more, they pretty much stopped making anything related to it by the time of the final film but at this point it's absolutely vanished. If the GSC had been "come be a Rebel and battle Darth Vader!" it would have lasted far longer, even with it's rather pathetic offerings.

No, I can't say they "hit it out of the park" on any level - more that it literally is the biggest boondoggle in the history of Disney theme parks. Rocket Rods, SGE, and SuperStar Limo can now rest in peace knowing that they were but minor miscalculations compared to the absolutely herculean task Disney accomplished in somehow taking the most in-demand IP of all time, spending all the money they did on what was many fans ultimate dream - only to produce this turd of an experience and try to sell a 48 hour experience for the price of a used car.
It's worth noting that those who actually took part in the experience seem to have absolutely loved it. That doesn't mean Disney got everything right, but it does mean something.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I don't think anyone is defending the business model, obviously the ROI just isn't there at those price levels. I'm only saying from a creative point of view, Disney knocked it out of the park and that's my point. People are pointing to those line dancing videos as proof that it was a bad product. The product was fantastic, the business model wasn't.

Dear god…nobody bought it.

You understand that’s “creative rejection”, right?

If it was what the people needed to fill it wanted…even at that price…there be a line of Xers down the block in line.

It’s Star Wars. Disney doesn’t understand this at all…but we should.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

And then once people actually saw the inside - the vast majority of it looked like "Random 90's sci-fi show", the bar and cafeteria area was glorified high-school prom level of deco, there was so little Star Wars in it, that it truly was unimaginable. Even the excellent CM's couldn't put lipstick on that bantha poo.

No, I can't say they "hit it out of the park" on any level - more that it literally is the biggest boondoggle in the history of Disney theme parks. Rocket Rods, SGE, and SuperStar Limo can now rest in peace knowing that they were but minor miscalculations compared to the absolutely herculean task Disney accomplished in somehow taking the most in-demand IP of all time, spending all the money they did on what was many fans ultimate dream - only to produce this turd of an project and try to sell a 48 hour experience for the price of a used car.

It’s absolutely the biggest..most public….most expensive failure in the history of Disney Parks and Resorts.

Nothing else close

LittleBuford

If it was what the people needed to fill it wanted…even at that price…there be a line of Xers down the block in line.
I disagree. There are certain things I'd love to own or experience but simply can't justify the cost of. Had they made the price point of the hotel less prohibitive, I believe it would have easily succeeded.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It's worth noting that those who actually took part in the experience seem to have absolutely loved it. That doesn't mean Disney got everything right, but it does mean something.
It means a certain market that Disney identified kept it busy for 9-12 semi frequently

It also means the majority of the actual Star Wars fan base roundly rejected the idea.

So who were that “niche”?
Likely more “anything Disney!” Fans that like Star Wars…or would tolerate it.

…it’s not like anything we couldn’t have guessed/predicted…

And now we move on

LSLS

I think there's some semantics going on here. I think when discussing who this was designed for, you could argue they knocked it out of the park. But the problem is the people it was designed for is such an incredibly small population, they doomed it not to work.

LSLS

It means a certain market that Disney identified kept it busy for 9-12 semi frequently

It also means the majority of the actual Star Wars fan base roundly rejected the idea.

So who were that “niche”?
Likely more “anything Disney!” Fans that like Star Wars…or would tolerate it.

…it’s not like anything we couldn’t have guessed/predicted…

And now we move on

The niche were people with large amounts of money that would normally take a cruise in the concierge area, who really like Star Wars, enjoyed the new movies, are into being part of the experience type shows, like a ton of structure on their trips (i.e. do this at this time, then to this, etc.), and are willing not to spend a few days on their vacation at the parks/lounging. It's an incredibly small niche, which was a large issue. The line dance stuff was an easy target to laugh at, but easily overlooked if you fall into all of these categories. The problem is this is a lot of categories for groups to fall into. And hey, if I'm wrong on my niche for this, that further shows the issues their marketing caused.

LittleBuford

If they had made the price point lower…they would have cut a lot more corners than they did…

How would that play?
If they really needed to keep it at that price point to maintain the quality of the experience, then the whole thing was a bad idea from the outset. There's a certain threshold of cost that many of us simply won't cross, even if we have the money for it and know we would enjoy the product.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom