News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

I don't know if I'd say I was a fan, but I thought she was the only somewhat interesting character in the sequel trilogy. Basically everyone else was either poorly developed (if at all) or just bad.

Rise of Skywalker kind of ruined her too, though.
Rey is not even a character. Kylo is the best new character because he is the only one that is one. Rey is the same at the beginning as he is in the end. NO growth, no personality, no hardships. No arc.

UNCgolf

Rey is not even a character. Kylo is the best new character because he is the only one that is one. Rey is the same at the beginning as he is in the end. NO growth, no personality, no hardships. No arc.

Kylo was maybe the worst character. He did have an arc, but it was a terrible one. Just an absymally written character from start to finish.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

That makes sense from a marketing perspective though. High-end format figures aimed exclusively at collectors are naturally going to skew in popularity towards OT trilogy merchandise. The consumer base is going to be more familiar with and have a closer attachment to those figures by virtue of having grown up with them.

And that’s the same reason that Mandalorian enjoys such a strong fan base. It is based heavily on the OT characters, vehicles, locations, and all the nostalgia that comes with them. Filoni and crew know exactly what they are doing in that regard. It gets a big boost in popularity simply from the benefit of association. Even though these are new characters, in a way, we’re already familiar with them as a result of everything being so closely tied to the original trilogy.

But none of that means the ST characters aren’t popular. They simply haven’t had the benefit of 40+ years of additional media, merchandise, and literature to evolve the characters and build their fan base and popularity. A quick scan of Amazon shows numerous listings for Rey with high ratings and feedback responses, and Sideshow even has a new premium Rey in the works. So fans are definitely out there buying it.

There was an official Rise of Skywalker line released as part of the Vintage collection, just like every movie since the original Star Wars.

View attachment 579831
No that is not a "line" of Rise of Skywalker toys. That is part of a line that is a retro card style release and they did it for figures from all the movies. not just Rise of Skywalker. There was no specific line of toys made for "Rise" like there was for the prequel trilogy, or Force Awakens, and there were a limited line released for Last Jedi not a single reatail line for Rise of Skywalker that matches these:
1628996338626.png

1628996377183.png

1628996408651.png

1628996433921.png

1628996457540.png

It never had a line like this. There are figures made as part of other lines but there was never an official movie tie in line like all the movies before it had because the force awakens and last jedi toys just didnt sell well.

Last edited:

Wendy Pleakley

This kind of argument is why the hotel isn't going to work, imagine getting Star Wars fans together and trying to make them play cards instead of debate the fine points of the movies and the merch... there's no comparing lightsaber session? ;)

Guest 1: "Fellow Jedi's and members of the Resistance, the First Order is attacking the cruiser. We need to work together to stop them".

Guest 2: "Ugh, the First Order isn't cannon. Rian Johnson ruined Star Wars. I'd rather let us all die a fiery death in space than acknowledge Disney's fake Star Wars movies".

Guest 1: "Screw this then. I'm going to the pool".

keyframe

No that is not a "line" of Rise of Skywalker toys. That is part of a line that is a retro card style release…

It never had a line like this. There are figures made as part of other lines but there was never an official movie tie in line…
Your original claim was that there was never a line, with no additional qualifiers. So you were shown a line of figures released at the time of the movie directly tied into the marketing for the movie. When that movie came out, these were the figures you could walk into any store and find on the racks.

The Vintage collection brand simply meant that the cards followed the same aesthetic from the original line and featured the Kenner logo. That doesn’t change the fact that the Rise of Skywalker series was the official line of figures released specifically for the movie anymore than posting alternate packages from the other movies does. Changing your argument still doesn’t make your original point right.

Last edited:

AEfx

Your original claim was that there was never a line, with no additional qualifiers. So you were shown a line of figures released at the time of the movie directly tied into the marketing for the movie. When that movie came out, these were the figures you could walk into any store and find on the racks.

The Vintage collection brand simply meant that the cards followed the same aesthetic from the original line and featured the Kenner logo. That doesn’t change the fact that the Rise of Skywalker series was the official line of figures released specifically for the movie anymore than posting alternate packages from the other movies does. Changing your argument still doesn’t make your original point right.

This is all completely wrong. I realized this drift started with me and I haven't wanted to contribute to it's continuation into the weeds, but your interpretation is simply not correct.

The Vintage Collection (and it's highly articulated figures/higher price point) had a long-planned return to encompass the entire seriers. It is intended for adult collectors. Using it as an example actually proves the opposite point you think it does. Go visit a few reddits or fansites discussing it, and you will see that the less-than-a-handful Vintage Collection figures based on Rise of Skywalker was laughed at and mocked because it was the latest movie and it was barely represented in the line . When you look at the release lists, case packs, etc. - they basically tossed in a few of them in just to say they were covering all the films, but again, the proportion of it was so pathetically tiny.

Also, for the first time in Star Wars history, had a film that did not have a general retail child-friendly line. They didn't even bother to try after the got hosed so bad on The Last Jedi merchandise, where the shelves of every toy aisle across America had a dozen or two Rose Pico figures all lined up covered in dust, until they ended up clearanced for pennies on the dollar (and even then, they ended up eventually getting sent to dollar store salvage). TFA merch was massively overproduced due to demand, but they did try again with TLJ - but by the time of RoS, they didn't even bother trying.

Again, there are countless examples of this - we could talk about the 6" Black Series, and how they did dozens of characters for TFA, then a bunch less for TLJ, and very few from RoS - each movie, they made less and less because no one was buying it. Yet at the same time, they were (and still are) churning out products from other Star Wars periods that sell like hotcakes and are difficult to find. Anyone who watches toy sections of stores can tell you, nearly every ST product they did make all ended up getting dusty and clearanced.

It isn't controversial, it doesn't mean people need to get bent out of shape about the films themselves or their quality of not - it's just the simple economic realities. It doesn't generate merchandising, and the companies that make these products know it - that's why they make so little of it. They make the products that people buy. If the people who spend bucks collecting Star Wars were buying it, they would be making it. If kids were buying it, they would be making it. But they aren't, because the sales just aren't there to justify it.

keyframe

This is all completely wrong. I realized this drift started with me and I haven't wanted to contribute to it's continuation into the weeds, but your interpretation is simply not correct.

The Vintage Collection (and it's highly articulated figures/higher price point) had a long-planned return to encompass the entire seriers. It is intended for adult collectors. Using it as an example actually proves the opposite point you think it does.
The example I posted illustrates exactly the point I intended to make. The original point of discussion was that no line was released for Rise of Skywalker. Full stop. What I posted refutes that one and only fact. It doesn't matter who the line was targeted at, what the price point was, or what the packaging looked like. None of those were identified as part of the original comment. All of these additional qualifiers have been added after the original discussion point and are therefore moot to my original reply.

If you want to get into a discussion about the specific marketing decisions around the series types, packaging styles, and targeted consumer base for this specific movie...then that's a completely different discussion far outside the original poster's first argument and my reply to it. I stand by the point I made.

AEfx

The original point of discussion was that no line was released for Rise of Skywalker.

That's because there wasn't. ;)

He didn't say there were no RoS toys at all. Of course they were, they were contractually obligated.

There was no "RoS toy line" released.

What they did do instead was add a few figures into the adult collector Vintage Line they were already doing. No Star Wars film has ever come out that didn't have a dedicated toy line created around it (even if it wasn't named after the film itself), and none in the 40+ year history of the franchise have come out without a launch of a 5POA "kid friendly" line intended for children to buy in toy aisles.

In Star Wars figures, "movie years" have always been coveted spots for them to introduce new lines. Traditionally, the year a new movie comes out is considered the most golden of opportunities. They tried their dang-dest for TFA, and even gave a decent effort for TLJ, but they tanked so hard that they barely did anything comparatively for RoS.

That said - I apologize to the thread that we have gotten so deep on the weeds on this - but this is Star Wars - what are you gonna do. ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom