News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

JoeCamel

This is probably buried somewhere in this tread but I can't find it. I'm not likely to be the type who will want to spend the money on something like this but I will be curious how restrictive they are about access to those not staying there. I get the impression, if you are not a paying guest you will not be welcome to 'board' which will be a new and interesting twist to the whole thing.

I acknowledge this is a totally different and 'experimental' thing for Disney that comes with a lot of risks. I'm curious whether it attracts Star Wars fans who are not necessarily Disney World fans which seem who they are actually after. This is not build for the average WDW guest, nor were they ever expected to stay there. This was built for uber Star Wars fans who want to experience a Star Wars world no necessary go to Disney World.

I'd just like to be able to go on board to experience the restaurant even if I'm not staying for the whole experience but it sounds like the model will not support that.
There will be a gate where you will be turned away, I think all access will be through provided transport and you will be picked up at a remote location but in any case if you try to breach the gate the storm troopers will blast you into spacedust

donsullivan

Premium Member
There will be a gate where you will be turned away, I think all access will be through provided transport and you will be picked up at a remote location but in any case if you try to breach the gate the storm troopers will blast you into spacedust
I kind of suspected it would be highly restricted given the nature of the experience and the cost. I guess I'll have to live vicariously through the 'YouTubers In Space'

DonaldDoleWhip

I kind of suspected it would be highly restricted given the nature of the experience and the cost. I guess I'll have to live vicariously through the 'YouTubers In Space'
Absolutely - I'm sure those vloggers snapping up Golden Oak homes with their ad revenue and affiliate links will be there on Day 1.

(Be sure to like, comment, subscribe, and ring the bell for notifications!)

MrPromey

edits were for fixing mobile typing mistakes genius.
So that part where you tried to pivot on what you meant by exclusive about Celebration by suggesting it wasn't a mainstream thing after I countered you with ticket pricing being cheap to changing it to be about optional add-ons to try staying consistent with your original statements - that was a mobile typing mistake?

If you say so. ;) ;)

you don’t say dcl is cheap or not by comparing it to star cruiser- but to it’s peers. All of those products were launched at premium price points - even DQ. DQ failed - doesn’t change has it was positioned and launched.
DQ was like $30 when it first opened.

What is your threshold for "premium" here because there seems to be a pretty wide gap between $30 and $2,400+

I must be missing something you're not explaining.
as for your mass market point - what is it then? What’s the point of bringing it up if you don’t think it is a source of conflict? Be it pricing or availability- just because it is a wildly appreciated brand doesn’t mean every offer needs to be broadly accessible.
My mass market point was that it seemed odd to me up to that point that they would take a mass market brand and roll a product out with it that would be ultra premium, ultra exclusive and offer little to no growth opportunity if the only point here was for them to be making money on Starcruiser.

They're taking something with potentially wide popular appeal at all income levels, dangling it in front of the masses and then basically saying "Most of you will never get to do this and for those of you who can afford to, it may be years before you'll even get your place in line to."

Why?

I'm of the opinion,that is intentional by design and that Disney may be willing to not make as much money as they could off of this to create an intentional level of un-obtainability.

I think they want people to know it's there an I think they want people to know they can't have it and I think they're willing to sacrifice direct profit to do so in the name of making themselves look higher end and more exclusive than their competition.

and as for starcruiser having to be at wdw… you are taking an outcome and with hindsight assuming that is the only way — it’s not. The excursion element is not the linch pin in it - it was even presented like a ‘bonus’. It was not the lead or the big hook in why one should do this kind of experience

They could have done it differently but they didn't.

With the value of hindsight, we all could do a lot different. Like I would never have bothered with my first post if I knew that four or five posts later I'd still be trying to deal with you misreading or misrepresenting what I wrote.

But here we are and I can only fantasize about the road less traveled, now.

What does any of that have to do with reality, though?

What Disney could have done but chose not to really has no bearing on the discussion of what they did do when it comes to trying to collectively guess their motives for getting things to where they are, does it?

the 360 immersive concept is not married to the theme parks. Sure there are benefits and synergies- but it is not what makes the concept worth pursuing.
How do you see them working this kind of concept with any of their other properties?

Do you think this would work with Frozen or Marvel?

Think they're planning a Toy Story LARPing experience?

As a complete thing, this feels very one-and-done (unless they clone it west coast) to me.

Sure, there are elements from the experience they could repurpose and I'm sure they'll learn plenty but there are always elements of things they reuse. If one of their goals is to gain operational experience for other low-capacity premium offerings, then that's a metric not tied to the financial success of this "experiment", right?

Again, my argument is that they can't be doing this just for the money they expect to make directly from this.

Besides learning, using this as price anchoring would accomplish a few different things for them in one swipe, too.

It would give Disney the PREMIERE exclusive, premium experience in Central Florida done in a way that nobody else could seemingly match.

Universal can build their third park. They can add their Nintendo Land. Heck, they can add 3 theme parks - that'll never be a 1.5 day LARPINing experience with prices starting at $5k for two, though.

It'll never be exclusive. It'll never be premium because like you've said, this isn't a resort or a theme park. It's Pure Disney Magic™ as only Disney can provide, right?

They could try to do something with Harry potter but they'll be at least a decade behind Disney if they decide to after they see how it works out for Disney.

Them attaching this to a mainstream mass property like Star Wars and having some harsh cut-offs in both pricing and capacity give them tons of free exposure - they are putting a spotlight on this in the public eye by the choices they made in a way that they never did with the apparently now defunct "Crown Collection by Disney" plan, for instance - the link to that page from 2019 is now gone from the Disney site: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/crown-collection/

It's manipulative to their audience but it sure makes Disney in Florida seem more premium, doesn't it?

That's anchoring and there is a halo effect from that which makes their other offerings seem more premium, even if they do nothing else to them to make them so.

In addition, a $5k two day experience at WDW makes a $5k week long experience at WDW look a lot more reasonable - that's also how anchoring works. Notice how everywhere else on these forums, there are debates about the rising costs and lowering quality at resorts and parks at WDW.

Notice how none of that comes up in this thread? I think the comparisons made here to the Grand Floridian may be the first time I've ever heard anyone talking about that stay as being "cheaper" in a favorable way.

Yes, yes, we both know it's not the same thing but but it doesn't matter.

Centepedes and spiders aren't insects but most people still think they are.

Starcruiser is #NotAResort and #NotAThemePark the same way it is #NotACruiseShip but just like the resorts and just like the parks it also takes things like Disney cruises which tend to cost more than their piers and it moves the comparison from their competition to another more "premium" Disney offering the same way we say that a Disney cruise is a bargain compared to a stay at wdw, today.

We're not comparing it to other cruise ships - we're comparing it to other Disney vacations and trust me - they like it that way.

Do you see what I'm talking about?

It re-frames pricing in consumers minds - a practice that has been proven over and over again in real-world marketing scenarios as well as controlled research experiments.

Again, this isn't just some hair-brained idea of mine. Premium brands do it all the time intentionally.

That book I mentioned, Priceless, provides case studies involving brands like Prada, Ralp Lauren (and their $25k "Ricky 33" purse they don't actually care if anyone buys), Hermès and many others who routinely use this tactic to maintain their standing at the high-end of fashion retail. It's a fascinating read.

And Bob may not know how to handle celebrities, he may not know how to handle theme parks and he may not know how to avoid looking like a super villain on stage at the launch of a new land in California Adventure, but he does know how to squeeze dollars to bleed pennies when it comes to retail.

this concept is more like a DQ or broadway production then a new movie or new attraction. It is disney branching into new entertainment concepts.
Again, I don't see how this specific "concept" as has been fully realized by them has much room for growth. Do you?

Maybe they started out thinking of it that way but what we have today sure doesn't feel like it.

DQ was supposed to have locations in major cities across the US and the cost of development and updates was supposed to be spread across of of those - that was their business plan on how to make that work.

Broadway, with a foot in the door makes them a player in an established market. Besides their IP and their push for surge-pricing to help squeeze more money out of people, what have they really brought to that market that's a new entertainment concept?
That is why i said ‘its not all about theme parks’ and why the pricing strategy really doesn’t belong in a conversation about theme park strategy or length of stays. The pricing is based on existing tolerance and baseline experiences…. Not about future wdw resort interlocks
We'll have to agree to disagree here. I think it absolutely belongs in that conversation. Disney could have built it anywhere but they built it on a resort property. They could have built it without relying on a theme park but they chose to build it so it did.

I think a case can and should be made that it doesn't have to be in a conversation about theme park or resort strategy and I'm sure it isn't the only thing Disney's thinking about with it but because of the way they built this, by design, I don't think you can say it doesn't belong in any conversation just because you don't like it there.

Glad you were a little more clear on your points in this post. This feels, to me at least, like a more interesting and productive conversation now than how it started out.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
So that part where you tried to pivot on what you meant by exclusive about Celebration by suggesting it wasn't a mainstream thing after I countered you with ticket pricing being cheap to changing it to be about optional add-ons to try staying consistent with your original statements - that was a mobile typing mistake?

I've tried to read this three times and still have no idea you are saying. I brought up celebration as an example of where Disney offers product for crazy money (quite successfully) even tho it's 'main stream' star wars. You didn't get the reference the first time, instead focusing on the point that there are simple day tickets for celebration... so I had to clarify more because you couldn't see the object left for you (the types of packages they sell). The rest of what you are getting from that.. I have no idea.

What is your threshold for "premium" here because there seems to be a pretty wide gap between $30 and $2,400+

Uhh... DQ isn't compared with Starcruiser. DQ was an entertainment complex. And in 1998, $30/head for your whole family was a premium price to pay for a few hours of arcade entertainment. Movies cost roughly $5 back then. In 1998, a ticket to the Magic Kingdom was only $42. No one was paying $20-$30/day for an arcade experience. So yes, DQ was positioned as a premium offer - both in price and product.

My mass market point was that it seemed odd to me up to that point that they would take a mass market brand and roll a product out with it that would be ultra premium, ultra exclusive and offer little to no growth opportunity if the only point here was for them to be making money on Starcruiser.

You made a point they are spotlighting this -- while it's going to be very limited audience. First, they aren't really spotlighting it, so there is no conflict there. Second, as pointed out with numerous examples... just because Star Wars is broad appeal, that doesn't mean everything you do with that brand must be as accessible.

If Disney had to go out and secure this IP and spend heavily to do so - I think your point about capped potential would have more merit. But Disney has this in-house.. their opportunity cost is basically nothing here because they are aiming for a space that has almost no overlap with other opportunities. It's green field as far as Disney is concerned.

I believe Disney sees this is a way to extract even more from this level of customer. Just like putting in a shopping district instead of another theme park... the value prop is to present new ways to extract from the customer rather than just looking at scaling existing products. Disney looks to do more than theme parks with their IP.

Additionally, roll this back to Iger's favorite.. 'synergies'. Now we have a whole new product space we can monetize efforts in before 'handing them down' to other experiences like the theme parks. Nothing makes development easier to swallow than 'high margin sales'... vs justifying less concrete benefits in a non-monetized space.

TWDC doesn't need to ride Starcruiser to float growth of the whole company or even product segment. It's clearly going to be linked with upsell and merchandise opportunities, and if successful, the product can be taken elsewhere to expand to new markets. And if it flops, it can be repurposed.

Given that it builds upon concepts Disney already has in-house.. from show production, attraction R&D, F&B, hospitality... it's all an easy path for Disney to take this risk to assemble another product to sell.

They're taking something with potentially wide popular appeal at all income levels, dangling it in front of the masses and then basically saying "Most of you will never get to do this and for those of you who can afford to, it may be years before you'll even get your place in line to."

So what?

Should Disney stop licensing to Hot Toys because they sell products most people would never spend that kind of money on?
Should Disney stop advertising Disney Cruise Lines to the Med because not everyone even considers spending that kind of money or can't book until they get enough seniority?
Should Disney stop advertising the Royal Table because it's limited capacity and most won't do what it takes to take their family there?

You keep alluding to this nefarious taunting or something in the way Disney is handling this product... because it's expensive and Star Wars shouldn't be??

You're creating these martyrs that somehow Disney is wronging by having a low-volume, expensive product. Are you suggesting low volume, expensive products can't be based on popular 'main stream' things? Isn't that what the majority of Disney Parks and Resort offerings are??

I'm of the opinion,that is intentional by design and that Disney may be willing to not make as much money as they could off of this to create an intentional level of un-obtainability.

Yes - common sense here. If you want something to maintain an aura of exclusivity and prestige you don't immediately go and commoditize it. Why do people artificially call anything a 'limited edition'.. or why does Ferrari still not scale up production of its cars after decades of backlog?

Disney doesn't owe anyone to make this accessible to all - Yes, scarcity is part of their product strategy. Pretty damn common.

I think they want people to know it's there an I think they want people to know they can't have it and I think they're willing to sacrafice direct profit to do so in the name of making themselves look higher end and more exclusive than their competition.

Where else do you see Disney taunting people like this to build their perceived image? What makes you think suddenly they feel they need to do that?

You're missing the point - the product concept doesn't hinge on putting it at WDW. The concept behind this is bigger than StarCruiser and pre-dates it.

Putting this one in WDW has lots of benefits... primarily lowering the barrier of access by putting it in a cross-roads of other activities as well as being able to leverage GE for part of it's content.

How do you see them working this kind of concept with any of their other properties?

It's possible - the concept could be scaled in different ways. Imagine if your kids went on an excursion with Elza... or what if Avengers Campus was really a place people stayed to train with super heros, etc.

Starcruiser (and Star Wars) are just one form of the 360 concept. Obviously Star Wars as a property has so many advantages, but the ideas don't stop there.

As a complete thing, this feels very one-and-done (unless they clone it west coast) to me.

Maybe it is... but you never know if the concept REALLY works until you try it. Look at the Starcruiser build... it's really not that big of a leap for the company. Disney blows more on marketing campaigns that fade 12 months later.

Again, my argument is that they can't be doing this just for the money they expect to make directly from this.

That's the advantage of a diverse, well integrated business. They don't need to live and die on Starcruiser's net revenues to make this worthy. You have this postulation that the worthiness is to 'anchor' some image or price point. I disagree - I say think more TWDC and less WDW.

You seem fixated on the idea that this product is capped in potential due to its size and price point. If that were the main driver of things, Disney would never be spending the kind of money on free-to-ride attractions like they do. I think there are a lot more benefits that Disney will get with its customers if the product is successful than being worried about the perception of WDW or how this product establishes other price comparisons.

Disney is moving to convert untapped potential into new products that bring the customers closer to Disney.

matt9112

The Galactic Cruise has it's place, its biggest and most controversial fact is the price point. Some folks will spare no expense to partake of the experience. By all means enjoy! I believe Disney would do it self a huge favor by, in addition to the Galactic Cruise and the Black Spire outpost on Batuu an actual Star Wars themed Hotel / Resort was developed i.e. themed after Endor or go opulent with the Royal palace of Naboo. Such a well rounded set of offerings would compliment each other.

I think the most controversial thing about it is the fact it is essentially (minus the sleep over) what we were told GE would be...remember the interactive story elements? The droids? The choosing a side thing.....yeah what did we get? Oh a cheap mobile game to play on our earth devices apparently.

Satans Hockey

Please tell me how to get a 30 - 60 dollar ticket.
TKTS?
TodayTIX?
TDF?
I *need* to know ❤️

Typically you wait in line on the day of the show. Sometimes at the theatres themselves or at a ticket booth somewhere.

At least that’s how it works in the West End, London. You have to be flexible and see what offers they have. But they’ll usually have a range of tickets and prices. If you simply must see Hamilton, you’ll pay accordingly. If you find out that An American in Paris has seats going for $30 then you say “yeah, I’ll try that”. I usually have a list of shows I’d like to see and be willing to take a chance on something I haven’t considered.

Yeah a lot of shows have rushes or lottos, some are digital, some are in person, most likely they will all be switching to digital cause of covid.

But honestly a lot of shows simply have cheap seats if you don't mind sitting upstairs, just have to check ticketmaster/telecharge. Obviously depends on what you're seeing but most shows do offer reasonable priced tickets for higher up seats. You won't be in the front row but in a vast majority of the theatres there really aren't many seats that are terrible unless you're a seat snob.

SnowFire

If they are going to secure the place with Storm Troopers, I might just be tempted to take a chance. Have you seen their aim? :D

GimpYancIent

I believe it would be more .......

1628809931432.png

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Take it to PM, please!!!

If you say so. ;) ;)

Why?

I think they want people to know it's there an I think they want people to know they can't have it and I think they're willing to sacrifice direct profit to do so in the name of making themselves look higher end and more exclusive than their competition.

With the value of hindsight, we all could do a lot different. Like I would never have bothered with my first post if I knew that four or five posts later I'd still be trying to deal with you misreading or misrepresenting what I wrote.

But here we are and I can only fantasize about the road less traveled, now.

What does any of that have to do with reality, though?

What Disney could have done but chose not to really has no bearing on the discussion of what they did do when it comes to trying to collectively guess their motives for getting things to where they are, does it?

Do you think this would work with Frozen or Marvel?

Think they're planning a Toy Story LARPing experience?

Sure, there are elements from the experience they could repurpose and I'm sure they'll learn plenty but there are always elements of things they reuse. If one of their goals is to gain operational experience for other low-capacity premium offerings, then that's a metric not tied to the financial success of this "experiment", right?

Besides learning, using this as price anchoring would accomplish a few different things for them in one swipe, too.

It would give Disney the PREMIERE exclusive, premium experience in Central Florida done in a way that nobody else could seemingly match.

Universal can build their third park. They can add their Nintendo Land. Heck, they can add 3 theme parks - that'll never be a 1.5 day LARPINing experience with prices starting at $5k for two, though.

It'll never be exclusive. It'll never be premium because like you've said, this isn't a resort or a theme park. It's Pure Disney Magic™ as only Disney can provide, right?

They could try to do something with Harry potter but they'll be at least a decade behind Disney if they decide to after they see how it works out for Disney.

Them attaching this to a mainstream mass property like Star Wars and having some harsh cut-offs in both pricing and capacity give them tons of free exposure - they are putting a spotlight on this in the public eye by the choices they made in a way that they never did with the apparently now defunct "Crown Collection by Disney" plan, for instance - the link to that page from 2019 is now gone from the Disney site: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/crown-collection/

It's manipulative to their audience but it sure makes Disney in Florida seem more premium, doesn't it?

That's anchoring and there is a halo effect from that which makes their other offerings seem more premium, even if they do nothing else to them to make them so.

In addition, a $5k two day experience at WDW makes a $5k week long experience at WDW look a lot more reasonable - that's also how anchoring works. Notice how everywhere else on these forums, there are debates about the rising costs and lowering quality at resorts and parks at WDW.

Notice how none of that comes up in this thread? I think the comparisons made here to the Grand Floridian may be the first time I've ever heard anyone talking about that stay as being "cheaper" in a favorable way.

Yes, yes, we both know it's not the same thing but but it doesn't matter.

Centepedes and spiders aren't insects but most people still think they are.

Starcruiser is #NotAResort and #NotAThemePark the same way it is #NotACruiseShip but just like the resorts and just like the parks it also takes things like Disney cruises which tend to cost more than their piers and it moves the comparison from their competition to another more "premium" Disney offering the same way we say that a Disney cruise is a bargain compared to a stay at wdw, today.

We're not comparing it to other cruise ships - we're comparing it to other Disney vacations and trust me - they like it that way.

Do you see what I'm talking about?

It re-frames pricing in consumers minds - a practice that has been proven over and over again in real-world marketing scenarios as well as controlled research experiments.

Again, this isn't just some hair-brained idea of mine. Premium brands do it all the time intentionally.

That book I mentioned, Priceless, provides case studies involving brands like Prada, Ralp Lauren (and their $25k "Ricky 33" purse they don't actually care if anyone buys), Hermès and many others who routinely use this tactic to maintain their standing at the high-end of fashion retail. It's a fascinating read.

And Bob may not know how to handle celebrities, he may not know how to handle theme parks and he may not know how to avoid looking like a super villain on stage at the launch of a new land in California Adventure, but he does know how to squeeze dollars to bleed pennies when it comes to retail.

Again, I don't see how this specific "concept" as has been fully realized by them has much room for growth. Do you?

Maybe they started out thinking of it that way but what we have today sure doesn't feel like it.

DQ was supposed to have locations in major cities across the US and the cost of development and updates was supposed to be spread across of of those - that was their business plan on how to make that work.

Broadway, with a foot in the door makes them a player in an established market. Besides their IP and their push for surge-pricing to help squeeze more money out of people, what have they really brought to that market that's a new entertainment concept?

We'll have to agree to disagree here. I think it absolutely belongs in that conversation. Disney could have built it anywhere but they built it on a resort property. They could have built it without relying on a theme park but they chose to build it so it did.

I think a case can and should be made that it doesn't have to be in a conversation about theme park or resort strategy and I'm sure it isn't the only thing Disney's thinking about with it but because of the way they built this, by design, I don't think you can say it doesn't belong in any conversation just because you don't like it there.

Glad you were a little more clear on your points in this post. This feels, to me at least, like a more interesting and productive conversation now than how it started out.

I've tried to read this three times and still have no idea *** you are saying. I brought up celebration as an example of where Disney offers product for crazy money (quite successfully) even tho it's 'main stream' star wars. You didn't get the reference the first time, instead focusing on the point that there are simple day tickets for celebration... so I had to clarify more because you couldn't see the object left for you (the types of packages they sell). The rest of what you are getting from that.. I have no idea.

Uhh... DQ isn't compared with Starcruiser. DQ was an entertainment complex. And in 1998, $30/head for your whole family was a premium price to pay for a few hours of arcade entertainment. Movies cost roughly $5 back then. In 1998, a ticket to the Magic Kingdom was only $42. No one was paying $20-$30/day for an arcade experience. So yes, DQ was positioned as a premium offer - both in price and product.

You made a point they are spotlighting this -- while it's going to be very limited audience. First, they aren't really spotlighting it, so there is no conflict there. Second, as pointed out with numerous examples... just because Star Wars is broad appeal, that doesn't mean everything you do with that brand must be as accessible.

If Disney had to go out and secure this IP and spend heavily to do so - I think your point about capped potential would have more merit. But Disney has this in-house.. their opportunity cost is basically nothing here because they are aiming for a space that has almost no overlap with other opportunities. It's green field as far as Disney is concerned.

I believe Disney sees this is a way to extract even more from this level of customer. Just like putting in a shopping district instead of another theme park... the value prop is to present new ways to extract from the customer rather than just looking at scaling existing products. Disney looks to do more than theme parks with their IP.

Additionally, roll this back to Iger's favorite.. 'synergies'. Now we have a whole new product space we can monetize efforts in before 'handing them down' to other experiences like the theme parks. Nothing makes development easier to swallow than 'high margin sales'... vs justifying less concrete benefits in a non-monetized space.

TWDC doesn't need to ride Starcruiser to float growth of the whole company or even product segment. It's clearly going to be linked with upsell and merchandise opportunities, and if successful, the product can be taken elsewhere to expand to new markets. And if it flops, it can be repurposed.

Given that it builds upon concepts Disney already has in-house.. from show production, attraction R&D, F&B, hospitality... it's all an easy path for Disney to take this risk to assemble another product to sell.

So what?

Should Disney stop licensing to Hot Toys because they sell products most people would never spend that kind of money on?
Should Disney stop advertising Disney Cruise Lines to the Med because not everyone even considers spending that kind of money or can't book until they get enough seniority?
Should Disney stop advertising the Royal Table because it's limited capacity and most won't do what it takes to take their family there?

You keep alluding to this nefarious taunting or something in the way Disney is handling this product... because it's expensive and Star Wars shouldn't be??

You're creating these martyrs that somehow Disney is wronging by having a low-volume, expensive product. Are you suggesting low volume, expensive products can't be based on popular 'main stream' things? Isn't that what the majority of Disney Parks and Resort offerings are??

Yes - common sense here. If you want something to maintain an aura of exclusivity and prestige you don't immediately go and commoditize it. Why do people artificially call anything a 'limited edition'.. or why does Ferrari still not scale up production of its cars after decades of backlog?

Disney doesn't owe anyone to make this accessible to all - Yes, scarcity is part of their product strategy. Pretty damn common.

Where else do you see Disney taunting people like this to build their perceived image? What makes you think suddenly they feel they need to do that?

You're missing the point - the product concept doesn't hinge on putting it at WDW. The concept behind this is bigger than StarCruiser and pre-dates it.

Putting this one in WDW has lots of benefits... primarily lowering the barrier of access by putting it in a cross-roads of other activities as well as being able to leverage GE for part of it's content.

It's possible - the concept could be scaled in different ways. Imagine if your kids went on an excursion with Elza... or what if Avengers Campus was really a place people stayed to train with super heros, etc.

Starcruiser (and Star Wars) are just one form of the 360 concept. Obviously Star Wars as a property has so many advantages, but the ideas don't stop there.

Maybe it is... but you never know if the concept REALLY works until you try it. Look at the Starcruiser build... it's really not that big of a leap for the company. Disney blows more on marketing campaigns that fade 12 months later.

That's the advantage of a diverse, well integrated business. They don't need to live and die on Starcruiser's net revenues to make this worthy. You have this postulation that the worthiness is to 'anchor' some image or price point. I disagree - I say think more TWDC and less WDW.

You seem fixated on the idea that this product is capped in potential due to its size and price point. If that were the main driver of things, Disney would never be spending the kind of money on free-to-ride attractions like they do. I think there are a lot more benefits that Disney will get with its customers if the product is successful than being worried about the perception of WDW or how this product establishes other price comparisons.

Disney is moving to convert untapped potential into new products that bring the customers closer to Disney.

GimpYancIent

The unveiling of the Star Cruiser Experience and pricing has not generated much positive commentary; example:
"Although the cabin arrangements seem targeted for families, media strategist Gary Snyder told TheWrap the pricing seems anything but family-friendly. "Once you move beyond the small pool of superfans, the market for this product does not exist," he said. "It does not appear as though the model that was employed here took into account a family experience…the packages almost place the children as an afterthought."

nickys

Premium Member
The unveiling of the Star Cruiser Experience and pricing has not generated much positive commentary; example:
"Although the cabin arrangements seem targeted for families, media strategist Gary Snyder told TheWrap the pricing seems anything but family-friendly. "Once you move beyond the small pool of superfans, the market for this product does not exist," he said. "It does not appear as though the model that was employed here took into account a family experience…the packages almost place the children as an afterthought."
Interesting that he hasn’t commented on this discussion since last year.😉

I’m wondering what makes him so certain the market for this product does not exist. That’s a very definitive statement to make.

Incomudro

Interesting that he hasn’t commented on this discussion since last year.😉

I’m wondering what makes him so certain the market for this product does not exist. That’s a very definitive statement to make.
I do question the market of super fans that are out there to spend all this money on something rooted in the sequel films.
I find that far less of a problem in the land, because well... It's an entire space to walk through has the Falcon parked outside, doesn't have a separate extremely high cost, and features two excellent rides.
I'm not saying this will be a failure, and I don't want it to be.
But I do question it.

nickys

Premium Member
I do question the market of super fans that are out there to spend all this money on something rooted in the sequel films.
I find that far less of a problem in the land, because well... It's an entire space to walk through has the Falcon parked outside, doesn't have a separate extremely high cost, and features two excellent rides.
I'm not saying this will be a failure, and I don't want it to be.
But I do question it.
Questioning it is one thing. But Gary is stating it as fact.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom