News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

only those that pay may go to outer space
This is probably buried somewhere in this tread but I can't find it. I'm not likely to be the type who will want to spend the money on something like this but I will be curious how restrictive they are about access to those not staying there. I get the impression, if you are not a paying guest you will not be welcome to 'board' which will be a new and interesting twist to the whole thing.

I acknowledge this is a totally different and 'experimental' thing for Disney that comes with a lot of risks. I'm curious whether it attracts Star Wars fans who are not necessarily Disney World fans which seem who they are actually after. This is not built for the average WDW guest, nor were they ever expected to stay there. This was built for uber Star Wars fans who want to experience a Star Wars world not necessary go to Disney World.

I'd just like to be able to go on board to experience the restaurant even if I'm not staying for the whole experience but it sounds like the model will not support that.

Nubs70

I do question the market of super fans that are out there to spend all this money on something rooted in the sequel films.
I find that far less of a problem in the land, because well... It's an entire space to walk through has the Falcon parked outside, doesn't have a separate extremely high cost, and features two excellent rides.
I'm not saying this will be a failure, and I don't want it to be.
But I do question it.
"An evening with Jar Jar Binks"

AEfx

I’m wondering what makes him so certain the market for this product does not exist. That’s a very definitive statement to make.
I do question the market of super fans that are out there to spend all this money on something rooted in the sequel films.

It's not that there isn't an audience - as we know, this will be sold out, at least initially, and I'm sure it will be incredibly hard to get reservations for some time. I think his point was - there isn't a huge "general" audience out there for this once the "die hards" have their fill - who want to spend $5-6K to sleep in basically bunk beds for two nights. The people that spend that kind of money aren't looking for this type of experience.

It's also that even among the "die hards", the cross-section of huge Star Wars fans who have the disposable income to spend a lot of money on it as a "hobby", the issue is that a large majority of that crowd does not spend on Sequel Trilogy stuff. There doesn't need to be a debate about the quality of the new films or not - it's just simple, hard economic fact. It is pretty easy to tell this because of the products that companies produce. They begrudgingly made Sequel Trilogy merch when the films were coming out, it all pretty much flopped, and as soon as the films were done they largely all stopped and went back to making more Original Trilogy stuff (with Clone Wars and limited Prequel stuff mixed in).

I could give many examples that prove this - but if you want to know what is popular among Star Wars fans, one good indicator of that is Sideshow products. For those that don't know them, Sideshow sells collectable figures/statues (basically dolls targeted to an adult audience) that sell for $200-$500+++ each. New ones every month. They are limited in number, and sell out regularly in presales, sometimes many months in advance. The audience that buys these is the audience who would spend $5K+ on this.

The last set of figures they did for Kylo and Rey that came out to coincide with the last ST film two years ago are still in stock. They actually are on the low end of the price range, too. You can buy them right now. They have been warming the virtual shelves. Yet, also right now, there are no less than 4 different upcoming Luke Skywalker packages up for pre-order, and some of them will easily sell out before they are even released. And let's not even talk about the constant demand for anything Darth Vader. It seems almost yearly that they come out with a new bust for $1000 (you can even get a new full-size Vader on pre-order for $8K right now - something they have such demand for that previous versions have sold out and they are offering it again this year).

I could go on...but needless to say, those super-fans who spend that kind of dough - just think of it this way - if you are going to dump this much money into Star Wars...would you rather have a 45-hour cosplay experience with arts and crafts themed around the sequel trilogy, or buy a life-size Darth Vader that will live in your house forever...

TLDR? = There certainly will be an initial audience, of absolute "I'll pay for anything Star Wars" - but even among them, as I noted above - it's only going to be a portion of that group - and then the "I like spending tons of money at things at WDW, mostly for bragging rights on social media" group...but beyond that? The future is very cloudy...

seascape

For people who think $6,000 sounds high. Just wait. In the 1977 to 1978 school year my tuition with room and board was $3,500. In 1980 to 1981 it was over $8,000. Today it is $45,700. That is inflation. In 1977 WDW tickets cost $6.00 plus ride tickets. Using an $18.25 cost for an 18 ride ticket book and saying that lasted over 2 days the per day cost was $15.12 a day. Now, comparing college costs to WDW tickets, they should cost $197 a day today, since college costs have gone up just over 13 times. Even just admission to the parks with no ride should cost $78 a day and anyone with an annual pass today is paying much less than that.

kingdead

The last set of figures they did for Kylo and Rey that came out to coincide with the last ST film two years ago are still in stock. They actually are on the low end of the price range, too. You can buy them right now. They have been warming the virtual shelves. Yet, also right now, there are no less than 4 different upcoming Luke Skywalker packages up for pre-order, and some of them will easily sell out before they are even released. And let's not even talk about the constant demand for anything Darth Vader. It seems almost yearly that they come out with a new bust for $1000 (you can even get a new full-size Vader on pre-order for $8K right now - something they have such demand for that previous versions have sold out and they are offering it again this year).

I could go on...but needless to say, those super-fans who spend that kind of dough - just think of it this way - if you are going to dump this much money into Star Wars...would you rather have a 45-hour cosplay experience with arts and crafts themed around the sequel trilogy, or buy a life-size Darth Vader that will live in your house forever...
I'm sure there are a lot of fans of Kylo and Rey... but the vast majority of them are about 10 years away from getting a bank account, much less having thousands of dollars in disposable income. Maybe if Disney World is around 40 years from now?

(I'm surprised they don't have "Rey for a Day" or "Pretend Kylo" experiences for kids, a la the Princess boutiques.)

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

It's not that there isn't an audience - as we know, this will be sold out, at least initially, and I'm sure it will be incredibly hard to get reservations for some time. I think his point was - there isn't a huge "general" audience out there for this once the "die hards" have their fill - who want to spend $5-6K to sleep in basically bunk beds for two nights. The people that spend that kind of money aren't looking for this type of experience.

It's also that even among the "die hards", the cross-section of huge Star Wars fans who have the disposable income to spend a lot of money on it as a "hobby", the issue is that a large majority of that crowd does not spend on Sequel Trilogy stuff. There doesn't need to be a debate about the quality of the new films or not - it's just simple, hard economic fact. It is pretty easy to tell this because of the products that companies produce. They begrudgingly made Sequel Trilogy merch when the films were coming out, it all pretty much flopped, and as soon as the films were done they largely all stopped and went back to making more Original Trilogy stuff (with Clone Wars and limited Prequel stuff mixed in).

I could give many examples that prove this - but if you want to know what is popular among Star Wars fans, one good indicator of that is Sideshow products. For those that don't know them, Sideshow sells collectable figures/statues (basically dolls targeted to an adult audience) that sell for $200-$500+++ each. New ones every month. They are limited in number, and sell out regularly in presales, sometimes many months in advance. The audience that buys these is the audience who would spend $5K+ on this.

TLDR? = There certainly will be an initial audience, of absolute "I'll pay for anything Star Wars" - but even among them, as I noted above - it's only going to be a portion of that group - and then the "I like spending tons of money at things at WDW, mostly for bragging rights on social media" group...but beyond that? The future is very cloudy...
Damn. Well said.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

I'm sure there are a lot of fans of Kylo and Rey... but the vast majority of them are about 10 years away from getting a bank account, much less having thousands of dollars in disposable income. Maybe if Disney World is around 40 years from now?

(I'm surprised they don't have "Rey for a Day" or "Pretend Kylo" experiences for kids, a la the Princess boutiques.)
No one is a fan of Rey.

Wendy Pleakley

The last set of figures they did for Kylo and Rey that came out to coincide with the last ST film two years ago are still in stock. They actually are on the low end of the price range, too. You can buy them right now. They have been warming the virtual shelves. Yet, also right now, there are no less than 4 different upcoming Luke Skywalker packages up for pre-order, and some of them will easily sell out before they are even released.

I have several of the Sideshow figures from the original trilogy and sequel trilogy (and Marvel).

I still balk at the StarCruiser prices. Those figures can cost hundreds, but I get to enjoy them for a long time. It's not the same thing as spending over a hundred dollars an hour for an experience that lasts a day and a half.

I'm also not convinced I'd really get into the role playing aspect. It's not just about whether or not one can afford something, it's whether or not it's worth it personally.

And to clarify, the Kylo and Rey figures for Rise of Skywalker were just released. They haven't been sitting on shelves collecting dust for two years. People bought Rey and Kylo figures from Sideshow tied to the first movie, and these will sell as well. They may not have sold out in advance, but that's hardly uncommon for Sideshow figures.

AEfx

(you can even get a new life-size Vader on pre-order for $8K right now - something they have such demand for that previous versions have sold out and they are offering it again this year).

At the risk of being obnoxious by quoting my own post, I thought I would share this video in case anyone thought I was exaggerating. ;)

This is the one they did three years ago. Even though it costs 8 grand, the demand is high enough that they are reissuing it again. It's over 7 and a half feet tall...

AEfx

I'm also not convinced I'd really get into the role playing aspect. It's not just about whether or not one can afford something, it's whether or not it's worth it personally.

That's what my husband and I think as well. It mostly sounds stuff that, if it was happening in the parks in front of us, we would stand back and watch, and be amused watching kids/others do, but it really isn't something we would probably get into ourselves.

And to clarify, the Kylo and Rey figures for Rise of Skywalker were just released. They haven't been sitting on shelves collecting dust for two years. People bought Rey and Kylo figures from Sideshow tied to the first movie, and these will sell as well. They may not have sold out in advances, but that's hardly uncommon for Sideshow figures.

Got ya - sorry, my wording was also confusing - I was pointing out that the film they are based on was two years ago, I wasn't aware of how long they had been out. Thank you for the correction.

In any case, the point I was trying to make was that they are producing very little ST stuff compared to the OT and other eras - just mathematically, we know they keep producing over and over the characters that sell the best. One Rey or Kylo (and very few others from the ST) every couple of years, versus multiples each year of characters that they have been selling over and over for the past two decades.

It's not that there aren't some people out there who like ST stuff, it's that there are just many many more who spend money on everything but - though primarily OT, of course. Though the Clone Wars and to a lesser extent the PT itself, and of course the Mandalorian. I would bet a Bantha-sized wad of cash that in just a short time, in terms of merchandising, Manalorian has brought in more money than all 3 ST films combined in collectables - and if not, it will reach that point soon, we've only had 2 seasons.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

I have several of the Sideshow figures from the original trilogy and sequel trilogy (and Marvel).

I still balk at the StarCruiser prices. Those figures can cost hundreds, but I get to enjoy them for a long time. It's not the same thing as spending over a hundred dollars an hour for an experience that lasts a day and a half.

And to clarify, the Kylo and Rey figures for Rise of Skywalker were just released. They haven't been sitting on shelves collecting dust for two years. People bought Rey and Kylo figures from Sideshow tied to the first movie, and these will sell as well. They may not have sold out in advance, but that's hardly uncommon for Sideshow figures.
Incorrect, (not talking about sideshow but normal retailers) Rey and Kylo figures did not sell well for force awakens, that there were very few figures released for The Last Jedi, and there was no offical toy line released for Rise of Skwywalker. They were collecting dust on Target and Walmart shelves.

keyframe

It's not that there aren't some people out there who like ST stuff, it's that there are just many many more who spend money on everything but - though primarily OT, of course. Though the Clone Wars and to a lesser extent the PT itself, and of course the Mandalorian. I would bet a Bantha-sized wad of cash that in just a short time, in terms of merchandising, Manalorian has brought in more money than all 3 ST films combined in collectables - and if not, it will reach that point soon, we've only had 2 seasons.
That makes sense from a marketing perspective though. High-end format figures aimed exclusively at collectors are naturally going to skew in popularity towards OT trilogy merchandise. The consumer base is going to be more familiar with and have a closer attachment to those figures by virtue of having grown up with them.

And that’s the same reason that Mandalorian enjoys such a strong fan base. It is based heavily on the OT characters, vehicles, locations, and all the nostalgia that comes with them. Filoni and crew know exactly what they are doing in that regard. It gets a big boost in popularity simply from the benefit of association. Even though these are new characters, in a way, we’re already familiar with them as a result of everything being so closely tied to the original trilogy.

But none of that means the ST characters aren’t popular. They simply haven’t had the benefit of 40+ years of additional media, merchandise, and literature to evolve the characters and build their fan base and popularity. A quick scan of Amazon shows numerous listings for Rey with high ratings and feedback responses, and Sideshow even has a new premium Rey in the works. So fans are definitely out there buying it.

…there was no offical toy line released for Rise of Skwywalker.
There was an official Rise of Skywalker line released as part of the Vintage collection, just like every movie since the original Star Wars.

3962358D-E97C-455A-90C8-A336722CF6B5.jpeg

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom