News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

GimpYancIent

Light speed?

LIGHT SPEED?

Turn in you Star Wars fan card!!!
OK? You know like something the fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy does in 12 Parsecs. I illustrate;
1628649789464.png

GimpYancIent

Hyperspace. And don’t get me started on what a parsec is.
Both Princess Leia and Han use the term "Light Speed" in the failed attempt to make the jump into Hyperspace in A New Hope. And this is what a Parsec is; "parsec
[ˈpärsek]

NOUN
  1. a unit of distance used in astronomy, equal to about 3.26 light years (3.086 × 1013 kilometers). One parsec corresponds to the distance at which the mean radius of the earth's orbit subtends an angle of one second of arc."

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I mean, Han solo him self talked about jumping to light speed.

Like the parsec fiasco, an example of Lucas' lack of science... or he just doesn't care.

In that clip there is "jump to lightspeed" and also "jump to hyperspace."

They can't be interchangeable. When it comes to interstellar space, light is incredibly slow, taking years to get to the nearest star.

Jumping into hyperspace is a extradimensional shortcut, in effect going thousands of times the speed of light.

GimpYancIent

Like the parsec fiasco, an example of Lucas' lack of science... or he just doesn't care.

In that clip there is "jump to lightspeed" and also "jump to hyperspace."

They can't be interchangeable. When it comes to interstellar space, light is incredibly slow, taking years to get to the nearest star.

Jumping into hyperspace is a extradimensional shortcut, in effect going thousands of times the speed of light.
The fact is this experience is supposed to be an immersion into Star Wars so the terms spoken and visual effects used should coincide with the movies. The creators of movies actually brag about taking artistic license with facts and details in making movies. So actual detailed science? Uhhh no.

keyframe

While he does say “…jump to lightspeed…” and “…jump to hyperspace…”, he’s talking about two different things. The first reference is to the course and speed the ship will take (lightspeed-hence the need for the calculations), while the second is in reference to the location where they will be safe (hyperspace).

Lightspeed allows them to reach hyperspace, at which point the laws of physics and distance in normal space no longer apply. So the distance an object travels in normal space isn’t the same as it would be in hyperspace.

Voice of Disney sanity

There is one big thing I see missing from some of these theories. A lot of the biggest Star Wars fans saw the original movies in the theaters a long time ago and have since grown up and become affluent. The theories that I am seeing put forth only believe diehard Star Wars fans are broke. When the fact is quite a few of the biggest Star Wars fans have lots of money and will pay up for this experience.

DonaldDoleWhip

Fair but hardly justification lol. You can wait. No need to blow it all in fake space now.
The question was "If you love Disney and have this kind of money, why on Earth not go to Tokyo?" I was cheekily making the point that plenty of us have made the trip.

Honestly, even after visiting each Disney park worldwide, I feel there's still a lot to enjoy stateside. The immersion of WDW's bubble is beyond compare (also, no other Disney resort has an Animal Kingdom, World Showcase, or such a diverse hotel collection), and it's hard to top a day of park hopping between DL and DCA in terms of sheer fun.

Pricing this one new experience at asinine levels doesn't preclude me from enjoying the rest of WDW, or from exploring real-world locales on a separate timeline (over the last three years alone, have enjoyed Italy, Japan, China, Australia, Morocco, Colombia, French Polynesia, and three islands of Hawaii). Certainly not deprived, and I can also live with this new offering being priced so high that it'll never be in my consideration set.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom