News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

ParentsOf4

Been thinking about this a bit.

The 1970s version of me would have sold my soul for the experience.

The 2020s version of me thinks, “that’s interesting” after 1999’s Phantom Menace pretty much killed the love I once had for the Star Wars saga.

I’m sure there will be thousands of diehard fans who will have to do this, and there will be another group who will do this if only for bragging rights to their associates, but is this sustainable for more than 2 years?

Last edited:

corran horn

Been thinking about this a bit.

The 1970s me would have sold my soul for the experience.

The 2020s version of me thinks, “that’s interesting” after 1999’s Phantom Menace pretty much killed the love I once had of the Star Wars saga.

I’m sure there will be tens-of-thousands of diehard fans who will have to do this, and there will be another group who will do this if only for bragging rights to their associates, but is this sustainable for more than 5 years?

We know prices start at $6000 for a family of four. Is it going to be $12,000 for Christmas?

Specially ticketed events such as the Boo Bash cost a family of 4 around $600 for a single evening event, so I can imagine justifying $6000 or (much) more for a 2-day adventure.

A concierge 3-night DCL sailing for Christmas starts at close to $11,000, but then there are about 40 concierge staterooms on the Dream, sailing every 3 or 4 nights. For the Galactic Starcruiser, Disney will have 100 rooms every 2 days.

Considering what many are already willing to pay, I suspect there will be enough buyers for this unique experience.
The money is all relative. There are innumerable Disney experiences that I've been astounded that people have paid premium for. Sometimes it's even been me and my family doing it.

When there's no one else selling "it" you don't have much choice if you want to do "it".

keyframe

Pricing aside, the overall experience sounds immensely intriguing. It will be interesting to see how far they let you take the costuming and personal character aspects. Will they allow complete bounty hunter garb with full-face helmets and accessories? Are you allowed to carry that persona/costuming into galaxy’s edge? It would be blast to try to stay completely in character throughout the experience. That would be worth the price of admission to try it as a challenge. My guess though is that they’ll have some rather strict limits on what’s permissible.

Last edited:

Disstevefan1

Like Blockbuster!
Ha, not even close to a valid comparison!!!!!!!

Blockbuster could have purchased Netflix but did not embrace change, “we have video tape, we don’t need Netflix”.

Kodak invented the digital camera, but they did not embrace change, “we have film, we don’t need digital”.

Xerox invented the Windows operating and the mouse, but they did not embrace change, “we have photocopies we don’t need this operating system.

Even Disney, Disney could have purchased Pixar much earlier than they did, at that time they did not embrace change, “we have conventional animation, we don’t need the digital kind”

Later, Disney snapped out of it and later purchased Pixar for A LOT more.

I think Disney learned it’s lesson. Embrace change and react and change when needed, and survive….

Last edited:

MrPromey

The money is all relative. There are innumerable Disney experiences that I've been astounded that people have paid premium for. Sometimes it's even been me and my family doing it.

When there's no one else selling "it" you don't have much choice if you want to do "it".

... which brings us back to Galactic Energy Crystals! 🤣

Minthorne

Ha, not even close to a valid comparison!!!!!!!

Blockbuster could have purchased Netflix but did not embrace change, “we have video tape, we don’t need Netflix”.

Kodak invented the digital camera, but they did not embrace change, “we have film, we don’t need digital”.

Xerox invented the Windows operating and the mouse, but they did not embrace change, “we have photocopies we don’t need this operating system.

Even Disney, Disney could have purchased Pixar much earlier than they did, at that time they did not embrace change, “we have conventional animation, we don’t need the digital kind”

Later, Disney snapped out of it and later purchased Pixar for A LOT more.

I think Disney learned it’s lesson. Embrace change and react and change when needed, and survive….
So, like Blockbuster! 😁

Disstevefan1

So, like Blockbuster! 😁
I guess we could say Xerox and Kodak was like Blockbuster because they missed opportunities by not embracing change, but NOT DISNEY! TWDC is too diverse and powerful AND they embrace change AND CHANGE when needed. TWDC and it’s theme parks are invincible..

PS. As we know, Blockbuster is out of business (one store remains as a novelty) but you know what I mean..

Minthorne

I guess we could say Xerox and Kodak was like Blockbuster because they missed opportunities by not embracing change, but NOT DISNEY! TWDC is too diverse and powerful AND they embrace change AND CHANGE when needed. TWDC and it’s theme parks are invincible..

PS. As we know, Blockbuster is out of business (one store remains as a novelty) but you know what I mean..
I know what you mean … like Blockbuster.

Jk 😉

Satans Hockey

I see this is an immersive inactive theater experience. A Broadway show (3 hours total) is about 140. A ticket. That’s 44.00 an hour multiplied by 44 hours come to 2053.00 per person so I guess the pricing structure is correct.

and 700 a night for a hotel room? Yeah - no way.

I don't think this is the best comparison simply because you can get much cheaper tickets for the vast majority of Broadway shows, I'm local to the area and have gone here and there and most of the time pay $30-60 for a ticket.

There won't be any option to get into this that would be considered "cheap"

MotownMurder

I think the challenge for this thing is going to be the disconnect between what the price point implies you'll get, and what the experience actually gives. For the most part all the discussions about "who's gonna pay to go to this" gets centered around die hard Star Wars fans that will sell their kidney to pretend to be on a spaceship. To a certain extent I'm sure those people exist, but for the most part (especially in the first year or so, before "normal" people have a chance to really save up) most of the attendees are going to be wealthy vacationers that are okay with dropping thousands of dollars on an exciting "exclusive" experience. These are sort of people that would fly to another country and stay in luxury accommodations for weeks, but on the flip side they probably only have a passing interest in Star Wars. These people would mostly end up on the Starcruiser not because they just love Star Wars more than anything else, but because it's the cool new thing that not everyone gets to see.

So the problem is going to be that you'll have all these guests, who are used to paying thousands upon thousands of dollars for a hotel room and will come onto the Starcruiser with an expectation of what they feel like they "deserve" for that price, because they're used to paying it and getting the VIP treatment. Instead, in this case, they'll apparently get a not so great bed, no coffee machine, no microwave, no pool, and you get shuffled around doing gimmicky activities like model ship building and Sabacc for most of the two days. These are not people who are going to love being immersed in the Star Wars world for its own sake, they're going to be thinking the whole time "hey where the heck did my $6,000 even get spent on?"

And sure, you can turn around and tell those people "well it's you're fault for having the wrong expectations!" but whether it's fair or not, that still may very well be the opinion they walk away with. And if the perception spreads that this hotel is not worth the money, all you have left is die hard Star Wars ST fans, who are not as reliable of a market because it would be a years long investment for most of them just to afford it even once. So if Disney loses the core of "big spenders" because of a perception that its a waste of money, this thing could go downhill very very quickly.

Movielover

they'll apparently get a not so great bed
Oh so you have slept in the beds? how the heck do you know how they feel?

no coffee machine
OH ****! NO coffee machine!!! Why is this such a big deal? You'll have all the coffee you'll want in the restaurants. If you cannot function as a person the very second you wake up from sleep without the use of a addictive stimulant like coffee than you have bigger problems.

no microwave
The people you describe as dropping thousands upon thousands of dollars I can guarantee you have never used a microwave in their hotel room, they are at the least ordering room service and not microwaving a burrito themselves.

These are not people who are going to love being immersed in the Star Wars world for its own sake, they're going to be thinking the whole time "hey where the heck did my $6,000 even get spent on?"
No they are going to be thinking and bragging on how they got to experience the new expensive hotness and show off everything to make their acquaintance's jealous.

dennis-in-ct

I don't think this is the best comparison simply because you can get much cheaper tickets for the vast majority of Broadway shows, I'm local to the area and have gone here and there and most of the time pay $30-60 for a ticket.

There won't be any option to get into this that would be considered "cheap"
Please tell me how to get a 30 - 60 dollar ticket.
TKTS?
TodayTIX?
TDF?
I *need* to know ❤️

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom