News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

hopemax

A down payment on a house or 2 nights pretending to be in space

tenor.gif
A good chunk toward any dream vacation or two nights in fake space.

Like others, I’m wondering what can they really give you that couldn’t have been done some other way like on a heavily themed Star Wars DCL experience. Heck, convert a floor of a ship to the Galactic Starcruiser rooms. Build an exclusive Star Wars section on the private islands. Go visit Naboo or something. I’m not sure people will value “not being able to see outside” enough.

I guess there will be enough lining up to pay, but I keep picturing them all as East Coast financial sector Dads trying to make up / compensate for something.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Well there is always pricing. They will obviously attempt to max out profit when demand is high early on. When it wains later, they can drop the price to bring in those who were a no-go at $5k.
This reminds me of them giving away after hours to dvc on the first rollout…

more costly here lb for lb.

Another big concern is they aren’t even committed to staff it properly to “sell the show”. I don’t see it happening.

ctrlaltdel

This is my question. I have no idea that some (moderately to very crazy) people will pay these prices initially. But who is the audience two years from now? Five years from now? Ten years from now? I don't see the long-term future here. Do they really expect people to experience this repeatedly?
I agree, but if it did run for 10 years successfully that likely will have made them a boatload of profit on the project. That being said, it definitely has to be of primary concern to keep this fresh if they are keeping that price point.

dmw

In the Parks
No
Good god.

can we stop with this…it’s NOTHING. Did that “virtual dash” for it in April…was laughing when we got off.

one and done…until walk on. I can’t even get my kids to go back in the land in a few weeks. Once in Anaheim…once in Florida. Doneski

it’s just a Star Wars version of the great movie ride with some new tech.

its not flight of passage…it’s not hagrids…apparently not velocicoaster or tron either. Higher hopes for guardians.

i really try not to put this on blast…but my flanks are being overrun. Because WDI spent a boatload and came up with some new tricks - which I admit are ingenious - does not make this a fantastic ride. False equivalency.

ok. I’ve said enough. Enjoy that bill👍🏻
I think you forgot the sarcasm/satire font...

djkidkaz

There’s definitely demand…or they wouldn’t have built it…

but sustainability is highly questioned? It’s almost like they have no clue what’s actually transpired with their own franchise? Their product sales have tanked. How are they measuring new/renewed interest?

don’t get it. I think this is a mistake they could cancel and Bob happened to bail.

now…they could have made the price “enticing” enough to get people on the fence to try it…build some word of mouth…

but that isn’t this angle

Star Wars as a franchise has been held up by fans from the 70’s forever. The 90’s releases and the current releases are all your typical fad. They aren’t long lasting with the young audience like they were in the 70’s. They release and do great box office numbers because of the name recognition that comes with Star Wars, they sell some toys that kids play with for a few weeks and that’s it. It’s the reason Galaxy’s Edge wasn’t the financial blockbuster that they expected. Kids have moved on from the movies and the 70’s fans don’t care to buy Porgs or BBQ Ranch flavored popcorn.

rio

This is my question. I have no idea that some (moderately to very crazy) people will pay these prices initially. But who is the audience two years from now? Five years from now? Ten years from now? I don't see the long-term future here. Do they really expect people to experience this repeatedly?
If this ends up being a quality experience, they've got about 30 years. Capacity isn't great, and the original fans aren't at peak wealth yet. I'm skeptical that it'll last any longer than that though.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
If this ends up being a quality experience, they've got about 30 years. Capacity isn't great, and the original fans aren't at peak wealth yet. I'm skeptical that it'll last any longer than that though.
What in the hell are you talking about?

the original Fans were gen x up through their parents

X is 42-56 now…boomers are 55-dead.

when do you think people reach “peak wealth” and still spend on amusements?

110?

UNCgolf

It's been discussed here before that the total population of people doing Galactic Starcruiser daily is not likely to be such that it's very impactful on RotR.

Beyond that, the sample itinerary suggests they're going to have all the Starcruiser guests ride Rise first thing in the morning, likely before it even opens to regular guests. I don't think it will have any effect on regular Rise operations -- unless it's down and everything is delayed, but that happens regardless.

I could imagine them using the same "ship" to tell a new "story" after a period of a few years to attract repeat visitors.

I think they'll probably have to. I've been saying from the start that I expected this to be ridiculously expensive and still sell out (or at least come close to it) for a few years just due to the novelty and the number of rabid Star Wars fans. I think in 5 or so years, though, they'll either have to lower the price significantly or make significant changes to the experience to bring in repeat guests.

Disney hasn't been very good at doing that (i.e. keeping things updated) but they'd be more likely to do so with this experience as it directly generates revenue instead of indirectly.

Also, the sample itinerary looks ridiculous and not remotely worth what they're charging.

Last edited:

Magenta Panther

If this thing crashes and burns, hopefully that'll be the grand finale for the Bob Iger era. Maybe the next CEOs will hesitate before buying played-out non-Disney IP and shoving the junk into the parks. Maybe they'll spend the money on improving/plussing/maintenance again, and showcase Disney magic instead of dated Sci-Fi. One can hope...

dav23

I seem to have no problem spending lots of my money at Disney parks and have been doing so for years and years…but I wouldn’t even consider doing this.

I have thought for a while now that they’re massively overestimating the appeal of the new trilogy and the amount of “super fans” that have the money and desire to shell out for an experience like this.

odmichael

The sample itinerary...it's something else.
Let's break it down:

Day 1
1pm - arrive at terminal
1:15 - 1:30 - Launch Pad to Starcruiser - if this is immersive, this could actually be pretty cool.
1:45 - 2:15 - Ship Orientation - not sure what this means but it sounds more like going to camp than an all-inclusive.
3:00 - 3:30 - Light Refreshments - we've arrived now for over 2 hours and all we've done is get talked to and sipped strange space drinks. Hoping to take advantage of this time to be able to "explore the ship"
3:30 - 4:00 - Sabacc lessons - Sabacc is a card game in the Star Wars universe. This means that our first scheduled activity is to play 30 minutes of cards. Imagine trying to keep two 8-10 year old boys still playing cards for a half hour.
4:00 - 4:30 - Muster - so for a half hour we gather... for what?
4:30 - 5:00 - Captain's reception - Dinner is after this so I am hoping that this is an immersive show experience but I am being optimistic here.
5:30 - 7:00 - Dinner featuring live music - this could be fun and enjoyable. The food on the website looks strange but you are paying for that experience. They key will be taste and I will be looking at websites like this one for food reviews.
7:15 - 7:30 - Outer Rim Regalia - not sure what this means but its short.
7:30 - 8:00 - Unexpected Story Moment - this will be hit or miss. The problem is its only 30 minutes long. You're paying for an immersive story experience and its honestly only a 30 minute session.
8:00 - 8:45 - Bridge Training - maybe you get to "fly" the ship?
8:30 - 8:45 - Special Atrium Entertainment - a brief show before the end of the night.

Day 2
7:00 - 7:30 - breakfast
8:15 - 8:25 - Transportation shuttle to Batuu - so you paid all this money to ride the ship and you are being sent off to the theme park.
8:45 - 9:30 - Star Wars - Rise of the Resistance - so 45 minutes of your morning is to ride this ride???
9:30 - 9:50 - Story Moment - a story moment occurs inside the park. This is actually interesting but again is only 20 minutes.
10:00 - 10:30 - Millenium Falcon Smuggler's Run - again, 30 minutes for this ride.
11:15 - 12:15 - Lunch at Docking Bay 7 Food and Cargo - an hour long excursion lunch at a grab-and-go cafeteria.
12:40 - 12:50 - Transport Shuttle to Star Cruiser - so we spent about 4 hours at Hollywood Studious which I guess is included in the price of stay but still...
1:00 - 1:30 - Lightsaber training - this could actually be really cool. Why is this only 30 minutes then? We need more excursions / activities like this.
2:30 - 2:50 - Droid Racing Competition - hoping kids make the droids.
3:00 - 3:30 - Build a Model Ship - This is cool but not very immersive.
4:00 - 5:00 - Sabacc tournament - a 1 hour card tournament. So we will have spent 90 minutes-ish of our time playing cards.
5:00 - 5:30 - Cocktails at Sublight Lounge - by this point, we will need a much longer amount of time sipping cocktails...
5:30 - 7:00 - Taste Around the Galaxy dinner - sounds like it has potential
7:30 - 8:45 - Story Moment - a 75 minute story excursion - we need more of THIS
10:00 - 11:00 - Spectacular Finale - this could be cool. Sounds like a story / show.

Day 3
8:30 - 9:30 - Breakfast
9:30 - 10:00 - Launch Pad to Terminal

Overall, there is a decent amount of story here, but there is also clearly a lot of filler. I hope that there are choices you can pick from for your itinerary. For instance, I would not want to learn a card game that I would never use ever again and pay lots of money to learn it. This place could have had so much more potential. I am hoping Disney learns from this. That being said, I am also hoping Disney proves me wrong.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom