News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

_caleb

I'm not sure why people think it was split this way. Not singling you out, because multiple people have said this, but I'm just wondering how it got started and then everyone ran with it. There are regular press outlets that only got the 4 hour experience.
Guess I misunderstood then. Thanks!

DLEXP

So as far as we all know there is one…and only one…ending to this entire experience and that ending is now completely online and available for anyone to view.

So no matter what you do on board, no matter who you talk to, no matter who you help…it all ends with the same finale. Everything you do in “your story” is moot to the overarching story.

Sure the discovery is fun but the outcome will ALWAYS be the same.

Am I alone in finding that extremely disappointing?

_caleb

So as far as we all know there is one…and only one…ending to this entire experience and that ending is now completely online and available for anyone to view.

So no matter what you do on board, no matter who you talk to, no matter who you help…it all ends with the same finale. Everything you do in “your story” is moot to the overarching story.

Sure the discovery is fun but the outcome will ALWAYS be the same.

Am I alone in finding that extremely disappointing?
Do you play video games?

Reason I ask is that “replay value” is a big deal with video games. Usually, fans like when A game has so much to do that you want to keep playing even after you’ve played through the “end” of the game.

As @MisterPenguin mentioned above, some people who got to do the entire 2-night experience left feeling disappointed they didn’t get to experience all the branches of the story and side quests.

Last edited:

UNCgolf

Guess I misunderstood then. Thanks!

To be fair, it's just one website that I know had the 4 hour experience, but they're movies/video games/pop culture site that's been around for a decade and has a relatively large staff -- and they're part of a corporate media conglomerate. They certainly wouldn't fall into a blogger/vlogger category.

Last edited:

UNCgolf

Do you play video games?

Some of the best video games can play out in very different ways with varied (sometimes wildly different) endings depending on your choices!

It's certainly not the majority of games, though, and I also don't think expecting that from this experience is realistic. I've said from the start that the overall story wouldn't really change based on individual choices because that would be nearly impossible logistically -- barring something very simple like the majority of passengers sided with the First Order or the majority sided with the rebels and that leads to an A or B finale. They really couldn't do anything more intricate than that; it was always going to have to rely on smaller moments to provide variation for guests.

_caleb

Some of the best video games can play out in very different ways with varied (sometimes wildly different) endings depending on your choices!

It's certainly not the majority of games, though, and I also don't think expecting that from this experience is realistic. I've said from the start that the overall story wouldn't really change based on individual choices because that would be nearly impossible logistically -- barring something very simple like the majority of passengers sided with the First Order or the majority sided with the rebels and that leads to an A or B finale. They really couldn't do anything more intricate than that; it was always going to have to rely on smaller moments to provide variation for guests.
Yeah- I edited my previous post to add a comment about replayability.

Were participants asked ahead of time whether they were disposed to side with the good guys or bad guys?

waltography

...But how they will replace face characters from day one to two, is a very, very good question!
This is really more in vein of what I was asking about; given the 2-day nature of the cruise I really don't think they'd have guest protocols in place anymore (not that WDW really had protocols to enforce at this point haha). Though, if I were a guest who tested positive while onboard, I'd definitely ask to reschedule my experience somehow.

They may just be banking on the few day incubation period for guests, unless they show up sick they shouldn’t show symptoms until they are gone.

The cast will be easier, most are just crew and even the main characters could be replaced if needed, if the captain gets “called away” her assistant captain could fill in. If Gaya “feels under the weather” the guitarist could fill in. The first order captain could get called back by Kylo and replaced with another captain. It wouldn’t be ideal but it would work within the story.
Curious about these contingencies. I wonder if they've got additional backup looks ready to go in the chance that Captain Keevan, for example, were called away - would her assistant then be a twin?

Honestly, curious about any built in B-modes in general. What happens if a space effect does not work? If the bridge projector fails? If the software powering the visualizations of all the windows onboard crashes? What do they do, and how do they compensate for the incomplete experience?

TP2000

One online blogger said it was impossible to get up close to Rey. But watching a certain video, we could see that for a certain group of guests following a certain path... that was not their experience!

Interesting. So why didn't CBS News mention Rey in their national report this evening? They only mentioned that the Halcyon was "the ship where Han Solo and Princess Leia spent their honeymoon!", before they went on to showcase Yoda holograms and Chewbacca roars, with a 1977 John Williams score playing underneath the report.

My point (and I do have one this time)... The media reporting on this seems to be very 1977, while the actual experience seems to be rooted in the 2020's. :oops:

Movielover

How can I when every vlogger showcases this crappy food like it's god's gift? I hope they all enjoy having green poop for the next 7 days for eating that grossly overly food colored crap.

It was my original point.

Don't have to try dog poop to know what it tastes like. Seeing it you can tell what it tastes like. Tastes like crap. Like the food in this crappy hotel.

You are not. It doesn't matter what the guests do, the outcome will always be the same.
1645956505500.png

Patcheslee

I wonder if that "Welcome to the New World" song was supposed to be promoted more, like a music video or something before the bad reviews of the preview came in a few months back. Something people can look forward to as a familiar song/artist when they get on board.
I just had Imagine Dragons running through my head u
I think they’re going for a more layered and piecemeal storyline to add to the immersion. You’re right, they could have actual dance lessons and really cool arts and crafts, but I think they just want to keep people halfway engaged so they don’t miss out on the story stuff. Don’t forget, some guests are “recruited“ to work for the ”good guys,” but others are tricked into doing little side missions (like spreading disinformation among guests) for the First Order (probably while thinking they’re working for the rebels).

Again, I don’t think the dance lessons are real. I think they’re an activity passengers can do for “cover” while they’re doing their “side missions.”
The arts & crafts are in Batuu for the low price of $100 or $220.

Sir_Cliff

I honestly doubt that'll ever happen. Reduces exclusivity, and thus, the incentive to take a trip on the Halcyon. If this is successful, as I assume it will be, I'd experiences like these, to bleed into the parks.

Super Nintendo World has the most interactivity of any theme park land. This takes it a step further, but Disney lacks an equivalent at the Theme Park level. With the introduction of Magic Band+, they definitely want to introduce more in-park interactivity.
They've talked a lot over the years about making the parks more interactive, but that has never really translated into anything concrete and I wonder how you can practically make it work in such a volume business. Everything they've come up with from you're name flashing up on a poster in the Rock'n'Roller Coaster queue to ap-based games has always seemed a little lacklustre and hardly worth the effort.

This doesn't excuse getting rid of the entertainment and atmosphere for SW:GE. However, I was always a bit suspicious of the notion that over-burdened, under-paid CMs were suddenly going to have potentially hundreds or thousands of interactions with random guests each day about their ride experience or other aspects of their time in the land while working retail or food service. Perhaps attractions can be made more interactive (though they also need to more broadly address issues of capacity), but I suspect the idea that any area of the park through which tens of thousands of people are going to be wandering every day will have anything beyond seperate interactive experiences like attractions or shows is going to remain a pipe dream for some time if not forever.

Honestly, I think they instead need to look more to live entertainment and streetmosphere-type stuff to provide unique, interactive experiences.

I don't think this is true -- I grew up in North Carolina and currently live in Georgia and hassled is a relatively normal word in both places.
I agree. I know we have a language all of our own, but hassled is certainly a normal word in Australia, e.g. "I was hassled by a bloody copper for drinking a stubbie down by the billabong this arvo."

Last edited:

WowFactor

I’ve seen a lot of posts like this. Obviously I could guess, but in your opinion, what about the Starcruiser seems “clearly aimed and young children?”

Very good your question, it made me review some points of my analysis, thank you.

I believe a lot of this perception came from previous concept art and mainly from the first video released (the infamous one) and not the current videos, although I still see Chewbacca being treated like a big Teddy bear (that hurts...). IMO the lightsaber training, bridge training and droid racing also give us that childish aura with lots of buttons made just to fill the time. The proposed side activities are also cheesy (although I believe they are false pretexts to show you something of the plot). It seems little, but add that to the fact that we have a timeline that is not our favorite and we have the reason that makes us postpone the experience a little, at least until other testimonials (especially from people with the same profile) land over here.

GimpYancIent

🙄. Yeah that must be it. We 'don't get it'. More like Disney does not get REAL Star Wars fans because there is NOTHING here REAL Star Wars fans want to experience that relates to the Star Wars they have known and loved for the past- oh I don't know- 40 FREAKING YEARS!! Most of the activities are for sure amied at little kids. No adult Star Wars fan wants to move rocks or disable a engine with a key or play bingo or do dance lessons that are found on Earth or play with a cheap lightsaber vs flashlight show when they can take their custom $200 plus Sabers and duel with them at home or play a worse version of Spaced Invaders on the Bridge when there are Playstation 5 Star Wars games with more realist graphics they can play at home and not have to watch bad community theatre actors. Yeah...'we don't get it' is the problem 🙄
It's whatever the guests want it to be so long as it's G rated.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom