News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

ChrisFL

Premium Member
You could have lifted the entire finale and dropped it into the (already built) locations on the roofs in GE. In fact, the idea that they just took all the entertainment they cut from GE and put it instead into this is looking more and more true.

It reminds me of that Jack Sparrow thing they had at DHS for a while....super nice sets...cool visuals, etc. but nothing beyond that

Sir_Cliff

Thanks for posting. I think it looks fun and would have made a great show in Galaxy's edge, but not as a standalone $6000 experience.
Yeah, I have to say that it does look fun and the best thing we've seen so far from the Starcruiser. I'm still not convinced it looks like the next level in immersive entertainment more than a good theme park/restaurant show, but we shall see what else the day brings!

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Looks like the lightsaber training involves CMs behind each person
The video does not show a CM behind each person. And the one behind the guy being filmed was giving verbal descriptions of what was happening to him because he's legally blind.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I'm so surprised anyone is justifying seeing the plain, concrete Starcruiser building as you drive up to the hotel on the basis that you should just imagine it's something else. That's not how themed design traditionally works! People aren't morons, their first thought will be "oh, that's where we're staying for the next 2 nights."
Then what was is supposed to be themed as... a hotel? Because then there'd be people complaining that they're supposed to be pulling up to a space port, and not an obvious hotel, which breaks the theme.

mergatroid

Yeah, I have to say that it does look fun and the best thing we've seen so far from the Starcruiser. I'm still not convinced it looks like the next level in immersive entertainment more than a good theme park/restaurant show, but we shall see what else the day brings!
I think it shows also that there's been a connection between the guests and certain characters. There seemed to be humour involved too. I've got to say I thought the light saber battle looked pretty good and fun, sat grinning watching it. I'm sure much of that finale probably takes on a better meaning in context to the previous 48 hours, but as a stand alone looked very entertaining. I don't think the blaster fire effects work very well at all but other than that people seemed to be enjoying it. I don't need it explaining that they didn't pay $6,000, THEY'RE THERE FOR FREE however they seemed entertained and involved. Of course we've yet to find if they felt that for the other part of the 2 days yet but once paying guests visit we'll get an idea.

Surferboy567

Here is a link to that video

Is it a little cheesy? Definitely. I do have to say though it was entertaining to watch. I’m just kinda amazed this isn’t in galaxy’s edge. It’s really seems like it was lifted right out of Galaxy’s Edge on purpose. This should be on top where the stormtroopers…just stand there. Rey can also be seen. In fact, this looks very similar to the super cool opening of Rise when they had guests run around the land before the ride opened (which was very cool).

I feel like if your actually there this is probably way more effective since it’s a lot more interactive then I thought. Was surprised that the First Order officer remembered everyone by name.

So far, this is definitely not worth the 5K however should be interesting to see what comes out of the media previews. Even though if the reviews largely can’t be trusted.

….also if no one is going to say it. The DRAMATIC STORY ALERT alarm in the beginning made me laugh. How many times are they going to use that siren.

DLEXP

Could you imagine being an a small child who is SO excited to watch the finale only to not be able to see a good chunk of what’s going on and just having to stand there in the middle of a sea of adult butts? It’s kind of heartbreaking.

Rickcat96

They are also small to be part of what is supposed to be a real space. Just like Hogsmeades shops are small, not to be cheap, but to be in character. You don't goto a street market and find Walmart sized aisles and shelves.

All this 'obviously its cheap because...' talk is so turrible. At least bring a convincing reason, not one that just aligns with the predisposition.
Is your example of Hogsmead also a "predispostion"? Nevertheless, I surely did not imply that the shops needed to be "Walmart" size, especially referencing Olga's canteen- Its to small, a loss of more revenue, not enough tables and no seating at the bar- with a 45 min get the heck out spiel.

You may pay whatever you want to Disney, for the price's the are asking, if the value or the experience is lacking, push back is appropriate. That's an "opinion" not a "predisposition"

Virtual Toad

There’s a real problem with experiences like this and the modern instant-info world we live in. If all of the content from the experience is available to see online/in the media ahead of time (and with a high profile experience like this one, at times it’s hard *not* to see it), how “wowed” will people be when they pay 6k to essentially see what they’ve already seen? Where’s the “wow” in something you already know is going to happen?

This isn’t a criticism, just an observation that in our modern world applies to experiences across the board. How do you engineer “surprises” into a themed experience when those surprises are inevitably and quickly broadcast for all the world to see ahead of time?

mightynine

Then what was is supposed to be themed as... a hotel? Because then there'd be people complaining that they're supposed to be pulling up to a space port, and not an obvious hotel, which breaks the theme.
Why is it so wrong to say they could’ve made a better effort at hiding a show building, which is not an unreasonable thing to think considering Disney’s been known to do that once or twice in the past?

correcaminos

They are also small to be part of what is supposed to be a real space. Just like Hogsmeades shops are small, not to be cheap, but to be in character. You don't goto a street market and find Walmart sized aisles and shelves.

All this 'obviously its cheap because...' talk is so turrible. At least bring a convincing reason, not one that just aligns with the predisposition.
Funny you mention HP. The teeny tiny shops in all the areas were a huge mistake IMO. Being in character while being squished by tons of strangers is something I loathed about HP world. Not everything should be done exact. Teeny tiny rooms might be okay to you, but no way I'd want to share that room with another.

I wanted to go on this cruise after I saw how much people were actually cosplaying and how forced all activities were. I get tired of that level after a few hours is all. This really breaks my heart to see it go so bad. Though maybe Disney can learn from this.

That finale was cute but nothing special. That's the issue. For the price tag, it should be amazing. It's cool but not next level.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Funny you mention HP. The teeny tiny shops in all the areas were a huge mistake IMO. Being in character while being squished by tons of strangers is something I loathed about HP world. Not everything should be done exact. Teeny tiny rooms might be okay to you, but no way I'd want to share that room with another.

Unfortunately that was a requirement from JK Rowling herself and Universal couldn't talk her out of it apparently

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom