News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

pdude81

That is what I was thinking of when I said they should have just gone the VR way. They could have styled the vr headset to look like that (or the helmet used by Luke in ANH). Then, they wouldn't have to worry about the laser blast coming from a fixed point, because in VR it could come from anywhere. The lightsaber itself would just need to be the hilt with some sensors to track and provide rumble feedback.

The VR wouldn't even need to be highly detailed, since it is supposed to make you "blind" to attune with the force. They could do something like an adult/hard mode that it's basically black with a vague glimpse of where the blast is coming from, and as you do better it becomes more in focus and for a longer period of time, simulating that you are getting better with the force. Kid mode they could just make it so it's on the "final level" from the beginning.

True, but I expect anything you put on your head would need to be cleaned between uses. And would need to fit properly. More things to go wrong. Web slingers is really impressive in tracking your body movements so I'm interested to see how these specialty sabers work since they would be uniform and easier to track.

Cesar R M

That is what I was thinking of when I said they should have just gone the VR way. They could have styled the vr headset to look like that (or the helmet used by Luke in ANH). Then, they wouldn't have to worry about the laser blast coming from a fixed point, because in VR it could come from anywhere. The lightsaber itself would just need to be the hilt with some sensors to track and provide rumble feedback.

The VR wouldn't even need to be highly detailed, since it is supposed to make you "blind" to attune with the force. They could do something like an adult/hard mode that it's basically black with a vague glimpse of where the blast is coming from, and as you do better it becomes more in focus and for a longer period of time, simulating that you are getting better with the force. Kid mode they could just make it so it's on the "final level" from the beginning.
The problem with VRs I think its because of how hard is to clean these for mass usage. And how many units you would need for every cycle.

I think that was one of the reasons why the articulated animatronics aren't used wildly in WDW.
Standard heads can be cleaned and changed quite easily. articulated? nope.

True, but I expect anything you put on your head would need to be cleaned between uses. And would need to fit properly. More things to go wrong. Web slingers is really impressive in tracking your body movements so I'm interested to see how these specialty sabers work since they would be uniform and easier to track.

this!

Wendy Pleakley

They had a VR Star Wars experience at Disney Springs and I thought it was phenomenal.

Being in an actual physical environment like the Star Cruiser could be better. Practical experiences and effects are usually superior to virtual ones.

On the other hand, many of the cool things about Star Wars can't be replicated in the real world. The VOID experience had guests fighting Storm Troopers and Darth Vader on a lava planet. Will shooting tie fighters on a video screen be a better experience?

The strength of this experience might lie more in things like the lounge and character interaction. The "gameplay" elements don't give me a good first impression.

Don't get me wrong. I think it's exciting that Disney is creating this kind of immersive experience and I look forward to hearing how it delivers. However, I do wonder whether or not this $100/hour cruise will live up to the $30 (or whatever it was) VR experience.

Last edited:

Incomudro

They had a VR Star Wars experience at Disney Springs and I thought it was phenomenal.

Being in an actual physical environment like the Star Cruiser could be better. Practical experiences and effects are usually superior to virtual ones.

On the other hand, many of the cool things about Star Wars can't be replicated in the real world. The VOID experience had guests fighting Storm Troopers and Darth Vader on a lava planet. Will shooting tie fighters on a video screen be a better experience?

The strength of this experience might lie more in things like the lounge and character interaction. The "gameplay" elements don't give me a good first impression.

Don't get me wrong. I think it's exciting that Disney is creating this kind of immersive experience and I look forward to hearing how it delivers. However, I do wonder whether or not this $100/hour cruise will live up to the $30 (or whatever it was) VR experience.

Yeah, characters and story line are what will make or break this.
The views out of the ports and out the windows of the bridge need to be very good, I hope they look way better in the flesh.
They need to be convincing, with a feeling of depth.

After that, I really hope they have character actors, as aliens etc. (like Disney promised Galaxies Edge would have) to bring this thing to life. That's what will allow guests to "live their Star Wars experience."
I think of the actors in Hollywood Studios, and the one's who were in England at Epcot (sorry forgot the name of the troupe) as well as the actors in the Adventurers Club in days gone by.
Disney used to excel at things like that. Hopefully they will deliver it here.

TrainsOfDisney

Yeah, characters and story line are what will make or break this.
The views out of the ports and out the windows of the bridge need to be very good, I hope they look way better in the flesh.
They need to be convincing, with a feeling of depth.

After that, I really hope they have character actors, as aliens etc. (like Disney promised Galaxies Edge would have) to bring this thing to life. That's what will allow guests to "live their Star Wars experience."
I think of the actors in Hollywood Studios, and the one's who were in England at Epcot (sorry forgot the name of the troupe) as well as the actors in the Adventurers Club in days gone by.
Disney used to excel at things like that. Hopefully they will deliver it here.
Oh don’t worry, I’m sure Disney will keep their promise this time!!! ;)

Yes, the “citizens” and streetmosphere were amazing. They brought MK, World Showcase, and DHS to life. They would have brought Galaxies Edge to life as well.

GimpYancIent

If there is one scenario absolutely fitting for VR is the light saber training. Helmet w blast shield down would be very JEDI and using the Force the visuals in the helmet could be impressive. Sanitizing after use should not be an issue just need to have enough helmets available so some can be in use while the ones just used are sanitized. A UV rays sterilization unit would fit in nicely with the SW theme.

GimpYancIent

Thus far the Star Wars Galactic Cruise experience has been discussed / debated from the adult point of view and the reviews of the initial adult guests to experience it are eagerly awaited. I very much want to hear the children's impressions. How is this experience viewed through the eyes of a child? I doubt cost is even a thought to the littles it's all about imagination and their experience.

Animaniac93-98

To me, the whole idea of "living" in Star Wars means you get to discover the world at your own pace and interest. That includes the intrigue of spontaneous conversations you might have, the surprise of fining a hidden area or item etc. That's why people love Diagon Alley despite it only having one ride (which isn't even that good IMO). They explore all the shops, eateries, dress up, interact with CMs, use their wands etc. This Star Wars hotel is supposed to be an elevated, more exclusive version of that.

The lengthily list of pre-planned activities and amount of time spent outside the ship suggest there isn't much room for that, but maybe there will be.

LovePop

I also couldn't care less if people spend money on this, and I hope anyone that does has a wonderful time.

I'm mainly just baffled that Disney thought that was a good teaser. It doesn't show anything unique or immersive at all. I don't get the point of it, because if someone was on the fence about booking I can't imagine that would encourage them to go ahead and make a reservation.
I think Disney is showing this video so that nobody will whine later and say, this didn't blow me away at all! I want my 6K back! Disney can say, why, we showed in a video what it is like, long before the cancellation deadline. If you weren't blown away, you had the choice of cancelling. You chose to come anyway, we didn't cheat or mislead you. So stop whining and no refunds.

index.jpg

Buried20KLeague

Thanks.

As I've mentioned before, I've participated and helped run large scale LARPs. The issues people are bringing up are trivial to respond to. To resolve conflicts like who gets to pull the hyperdrive lever (and that is actually the least interesting thing to do since its two-and-done, while the gunners are constantly active), you have people do rock-paper-scissors for it (but use Star Wars stand-ins for rps).

You can have the captain put the bridge in practice mode (which it will actually start in) in which buttons and levers really don't do anything, and have the kids take turn pulling the lever (which does nothing), but, they did it and they can make their own sound effects.

I’m sure 7 year olds will totally get standard larping rules. As will the parents that dropped the coin.

Buried20KLeague

Thus far the Star Wars Galactic Cruise experience has been discussed / debated from the adult point of view and the reviews of the initial adult guests to experience it are eagerly awaited. I very much want to hear the children's impressions. How is this experience viewed through the eyes of a child? I doubt cost is even a thought to the littles it's all about imagination and their experience.

for kids it will all be about what they had to watch vs what they got to do.

pdude81

To me, the whole idea of "living" in Star Wars means you get to discover the world at your own pace and interest. That includes the intrigue of spontaneous conversations you might have, the surprise of fining a hidden area or item etc. That's why people love Diagon Alley despite it only having one ride (which isn't even that good IMO). They explore all the shops, eateries, dress up, interact with CMs, use their wands etc. This Star Wars hotel is supposed to be an elevated, more exclusive version of that.

The lengthily list of pre-planned activities and amount of time spent outside the ship suggest there isn't much room for that, but maybe there will be.
My understanding is that you will have "secret" communications and decisions via your "data pad" that impact how immersive your experience is. We'll see how it all turns out

RoadiJeff

It’s already an issue with MFSR (as a solo adult rider I have always been seated as engineer...) but if people are paying that kinda money?
I got around that last year when I did a solo trip to WDW. At the time, they didn't permit people in different groups to be in the same ship due to COVID rules so I got the whole thing to myself. They asked me what position I wanted. Naturally, I chose right side pilot. It was extremely fun and I grabbed 2 containers of coaxium, too. :)

Budd

Honestly, I don't know why people are devising the most absurd 'possibilities' and then criticizing the event for allowing the stuff they just made up in their head.
I'm sorry, but Bedtime Story Time hosted by Sheev Palpatine sounds just awful.
Between that and Jar Jar's Noon Brunch, why should I be compelled to drop money on this ridiculous thing?

bubbles1812

I’m sure 7 year olds will totally get standard larping rules. As will the parents that dropped the coin.
That’s why CMs will be present…? To assist guests…? This… this isn’t hard.

No one needs to understand Larping rules, just the concept of taking your turn. And it’s Disney. Everyone waits to take their turn.

I’m sure if they don’t get to pull the light speed lever, there are alternative things that can be done/offered. Unless I missed all the people raging and throwing tantrums because they didn’t get into the Pilot position on Smuggler’s Run. Oh wait…that doesn’t happen. 🤨

I don’t know what the experience on the bridge will be like, but I just don’t expect a lot of fights there between guests about who does what when.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom