News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
For example, if your next step is to visit the tractor beam, but another family just went into the tractor beam step and it takes 20 minutes to complete that task, the DM will send you to find someone at a bar and ask them a question, and tell you to come back within 20 minutes so you can relay it via satellite to someone else.

Hmm, let me start a "wish list" of tasks...

-Rescue "Slave Leia" from Jabba
-"Force Kick" JarJar binks
-Operatic "Noooooooooo"s with Vader
-Take Yoda to his Dyslexia Therapy class
-Shoot Greedo first
-Green milk harvesting lessons with Luke

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I have a small bit of information on how the hotel's game play may work.

Disney's writing a handful of stories that guests will play in. Each story will contain many steps. (As an example from the movies, one story is Episode IV is "Escape from the Death Star", and one step in that story is "Disable the Tractor Beam.")

It would be bad to have families waiting in line to disable the tractor beam - you lose the feeling of being in the story. So you only want one family at a time anywhere near the tractor beam.

The problem is that you can't predict exactly how long it's going to take each family to finish the steps *before* they get to the Tractor Beam. That's because for good game play, you want to give them the freedom to take 5, 10, or 15 minutes to complete those steps - you don't want every step to take a specific, set time.

So you know that X families will need to visit the one Tractor Beam room. You don't know exactly when any of them is going to arrive. But you need to schedule them precisely and without conflicts.

It looks like Disney is going to solve this with two things:

1) You're going to have a "guide" who tells you the next step of the game, why it's important, and what you have to do. (It's your Dungeon Master - let's call it what it is.)

2) In addition to the regular steps in every story, the DM will be able to send you on any number of side quests that take a variable amount of time. These side quests will enable the DM to "buy time" before sending you on the next, formal step of the story.

For example, if your next step is to visit the tractor beam, but another family just went into the tractor beam step and it takes 20 minutes to complete that task, the DM will send you to find someone at a bar and ask them a question, and tell you to come back within 20 minutes so you can relay it via satellite to someone else.

This is a fairly complicated scheduling problem (it's NP-hard, fam) and requires custom software to be written. Because of that, WDI isn't working on this part - it's straight from the PhDs at Disney Research.

When I was involved in running a Massive LARP at a role-playing convention, we didn't have fancy computers to interact with. Each 'task' had a person taking on an NPC (non-player-character role, or, to put it in Disney terms, a cast member) role that governed that task. Need to consult the oracle? Behind that curtain, wait your turn to speak with a person who is 'dungeon mastering' that task.

For the SWR, that could be done by having the task in a room and making it into a mini-break-out game where the room is locked to new people while others are in there. The computer could tell them that their locking override will be finished in 2 or 5 or 10 or 15 minutes... however amount of time they allow a group in the room until they kicked them out (task accomplished or failed to try again later).

The PhDs at Disney Research are probably LARP nerds anyways, so, no worries! :)

lentesta

Premium Member
When I was involved in running a Massive LARP at a role-playing convention, we didn't have fancy computers to interact with. Each 'task' had a person taking on an NPC (non-player-character role, or, to put it in Disney terms, a cast member) role that governed that task. Need to consult the oracle? Behind that curtain, wait your turn to speak with a person who is 'dungeon mastering' that task.

For the SWR, that could be done by having the task in a room and making it into a mini-break-out game where the room is locked to new people while others are in there. The computer could tell them that their locking override will be finished in 2 or 5 or 10 or 15 minutes... however amount of time they allow a group in the room until they kicked them out (task accomplished or failed to try again later).

The PhDs at Disney Research are probably LARP nerds anyways, so, no worries! :)

Makes sense. They mention "Live Interactive Narratives" in the paper.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

1525295408682.png

Graph theory!

Progress.City

In all seriousness, it could be Project...
  • Hope (A New)
  • Han (Solo)
  • Hyperdrive
  • Hotel at Galaxy’s Edge
  • Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy
  • Hoth (the ice planet in ESB)
  • Hologram (as in R2 message)

peter11435

I must have missed it. What is it?

How bout Hubble? You're supposed to be transported from earth to a Star Wars era space station/ship... the events of Star Wars happened a "long time ago in a galaxy far, far away"... Hubble is a telescope close to earth that lets you see a "long time ago" (based on the speed of light coming from distant stars) to galaxies far, far away... it would be a nice/logical connection...

winstongator

Did anyone link to the UCLA talk where they showed the Pirate adventure?
This comment had some awesome video:
https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads...ollywood-studios.903110/page-658#post-8185339

How tech will help the role-play aspect of this: Magic Bands will tell CM all about you, in relation to the story. They'll also be able to know all game spots that are available. The knowing you is going to be the unusual part: 'Winstongator, do you have the USB stick with the battle plans on it. Good, take it to droid repair guy on Batuu, he's with the resistance. Be sure to avoid stormtroopers, and this guy (shows a pic of a costumed CM).

Will they let guests be unsuccessful in the missions? I probably should have gotten killed off when I did the Void. I don't think they deactivate players no matter how often they get hit from stormtrooper blasters.

You've got some token, USB key, map, something. Now Kylo Ren comes upon you and demands you hand it over to him (he knows you have it because of the magic band & tracking). You refuse. Why don't I take 'your sister' and ask her some questions. You relent, go with Kylo to a room. He leaves for a minute. Another CM comes in, shows you a path to escape. The closer they take you to an unsuccessful mission, the better it will feel when you complete it.

There might even be aged versions Under 10 or 12 get a supped up version of Agent P, or Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom, tweens get something like the Void, all adult groups something a little more challenging.

WWoHP is an immersive experience, and the interactive wand spots are fun. The wand spots don't fit into a specific-to-you narrative. I think that will be more what is happening at the hotel and not something Disney could spin on the spot for a guest. It might be something like the Pirates League or Jedi Training that you get as an extra.

Where the tech comes in is scalability. If you need a 1-1 CM-Guest, it will be very expensive. If you get a 10-1 CM-Guest, for say an hour or two, it can be something offered for free. Say you do need 1-1, and for say 2 hrs, it could be a $100-200 add-on, which wouldn't feel so bad when it's absorbed into your $1000/night room fee for the SW themed resort. You're paying more for the experience than the actual room.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
USPTO published this Disney patent app yesterday for an augmented reality (AR) lightsaber. This is the latest sign that they're working on functional lightsabers for Galaxy's Edge. My guess is this involves wearing a blaster helmet, which will provide the AR hardware.

Link to patent.

View attachment 284707

Let's not forget the interactive plant patents that Disney filed that people were sure were going to be for Avatarland. :)

ppete1975

I doubt that their will be any TV at all. It seems like there will be so many things to do at the resort that their won't be any time for TV. I don't even think that anyone would notice if there wasn't any TV at the resort, there are going to be so many other things to be entertained by. If they do break and decide that they need to include TV it will probably "discovered on earth" or something and it will be on some weird screen. People have phones and ipads and stuff now so I wouldn't be surprised if they just don't include Tv at all.
I think some people would complain about no tv... right or wrong.. and some things like electric plugs ... even a telephone and alarm clock will prob be there in some form....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom