News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

FettFan

I'm reading Jenny Nicholson's tweets (theme park/Disney vlogger for those who don't know) and one of the issues that's coming up is that some story experiences may be linked to upcharges. So if you want to play the Jedi storyline, you might have to book Savi's, if you want a smuggler storyline, you might have to book Oga's, etc. Raises the question of what happens to those people who have already done those experiences and don't book again--do they get stuck with space bingo?

Again, this wouldn't be a huge problem if the price point didn't add so much stress. Most people can do this only once if at all and FOMO leads to anger, which leads to the Dark side, etc.

Sweet Jesus…so that $6000 ISN’T all-inclusive?!

This isn’t Nickel-&-Diming anymore, it’s essentially a shakedown.

celluloid

Nothing about the executions seem inherently wrong. (not a fan of having to use my own phone for everything) Everyone has critiques and that is fine.

To sum it up for me it will be the cost until things balance out. The value does not seem justified, and nothing seems personalized nor relaxing. It still feels like grouping the same way a theme park preshow or experiences would be.
Let's say it is a real cruise even for value. Even a fancy Cruise with all the typical included trimmings is around 700 dollars a night with entertainment, inclusiveness of main foods and beverage as well as entertainment and actual travel.
Presume this is closer to theme park entertainment. After seeing it I think it is comparable to a half day theme park or full day at best of activities between all of the things to see. That is an extra hundred and fifty dollars per ticket. Throw in another hundred bucks for proximity to DHS and perk.
Still about a thousand dollars too much a night in my eyes, but mileage may vary.

And that Saber switch is bad right now. That needs to be fixed with any of the simple things suggested.

VJ

That is a very awkward moment. Probably would be best if, after she emerges, a Stormtrooper takes a shot at her that makes her duck for cover in that alcove where the switch can happen off-stage.
Honestly, this would be the best way to address that awkward moment.

Something like this:
[Rey enters the room, ignites the lightsaber]
STORMTROOPER: Hey, wait, that's the Jedi! Get her!
[Trooper fires, Rey ducks just in time, switches out the saber for the stunt saber and the real fight begins]

EeyoreFan#24

Obviously the freeness can lead to bias. But I think the setup is a bigger problem. It looks like a very good vip fan day experience. Without a whole trip it’s impossible to rate the value. The reviews may be accurate for the day trip they experienced, but the full experience guests with the time and pace of the show will tell the tale in my view.

waltography

I'm reading Jenny Nicholson's tweets (theme park/Disney vlogger for those who don't know) and one of the issues that's coming up is that some story experiences may be linked to upcharges. So if you want to play the Jedi storyline, you might have to book Savi's, if you want a smuggler storyline, you might have to book Oga's, etc. Raises the question of what happens to those people who have already done those experiences and don't book again--do they get stuck with space bingo?

Again, this wouldn't be a huge problem if the price point didn't add so much stress. Most people can do this only once if at all and FOMO leads to anger, which leads to the Dark side, etc.
From the Eater article, they noted that if you needed to visit Oga's for a story event/due to a character's request, you can ask the CMs at the front and they would let you in. Otherwise if you wanted to dine there, you'd need a reservation. I'd imagine it's a similar experience at Savi's.

I do think those story moments are designed to entice you to want those upcharge experiences, though, which doesn't feel great.

seascape

The rooms, hallways, tranports and just about everything look better than I was led to believe. The experience looks acceptable for a one time trip. I was thinking of doing it on my September trip but due to midnight magic being on September 28, it wont work. So now I am thinking of April or September 2023 but I do want to do it and while it is very expensive, you only live once and you cant take money with you after you die. As for a return visit, they would need a completely new experience. Maybe a new one every 5 years which would require less than 73,000 people a year for 100% occupancy. 4 people per room, 100 room and 182.5 trips equals 73,000 people.

pdude81

This is exactly what I expected. I didn't think the whole thing would be a disaster; I just expected people to think it was wildly overpriced for what was actually offered.

I read a review earlier from someone who was at a 4 hour media mini-preview (i.e. they didn't go for the full cruise) and they said the story things they saw were neat, but that the hotel itself felt claustrophobic (i.e. everything felt too small) and the interiors were not especially impressive, which I think aligns with what most people (with a few exceptions) in this thread thought -- that the actual build itself is pretty underwhelming, but the other aspects you can't see in a photo could be fun.

I think if Disney eventually prices this at something like $2000-2500 for the whole experience, it'll churn along successfully for a while (although they'll still have to make significant changes at some point, because it doesn't sound like very many people would be interested in doing it a second time).
I think they'd sooner roll some of this into SWGE to drive attendance than they would drop to that price range. They an make that much from a family of 4 with 2 days worth of park tickets, food, and a deluxe hotel for 2 nights.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

Yeah, that's what I meant--the reviewer is out of his mind if he thinks that's Broadway level acting. I wouldn't expect that, anyway--the real test is whether it's good enough to make people feel like they didn't just pay thousands of dollars to see something that's under the standards of Beauty and the Beast or Indiana Jones.
Oh then I misunderstood you and I sincerly apologize.

Imhere

Ok, one thing bothering me, do the bunks have no curtains or anything? I always assumed there would be some way to get a bit of privacy with the bunk overlooking the bed, but is there really none?
We have stayed in resort rooms with bunk beds.

They are all set up the same way as these. No curtains. Just a set of bunkbeds along with a queen bed.

floydbeatle

Agreed. Most of the "dumpster fire" comments were hyperbole anyway. Was there any doubt that Disney would provide fun entertainment? The question was always whether it was worth the price. I am not going at that price point ever for the simple reason that I find other vacations where I will spend $6k to be worth my time and money more than a 2-day LARP experience.

We would all know if this was worth the price already. The fact that the reviews for the most part are it was a great time, immersive, and fun...but I am not sure if I would spend $6k is all we need to know about the experience. If the current reviewers thought, it was worth the money such that they would purchase it then most of them would have said that. Remember, that the Gizmodo article said that all costs were paid for including transportation, food, drink and he brought his family with him. And he still said he would never (ever) pay the $6k.

If you have the money, go ahead and enjoy the experience and ignore everyone on this forum. That's your right and you do you. We all get enjoyment out of individual experiences and our money works for all of us in different ways. Have fun!

What does concern me, if this is a success, is what impact it has on the future direction of Disney parks.

EDIT: I was agreeing with Fett Fan above. I have to learn how to use technology.

jinx8402

I guess the story moments’ alerts are hopefully just when they want a show in the main area?
I took those alerts are for the main/major story parts. It's a way to get those who might be off doing something else, or in their room to not miss the major story line. Even after watching the initial safety video, I didn't take it to mean it would be going off often when there is interactions between guests and actors.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom