News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

durangojim

They're trying to do what Joe Rohde did. It's evident, they never came to realize why this worked when Joe did it.

It tells me they still aren't really aware of what they lost when he and they parted ways.

He was a story teller to his core. He could do it with hundred million dollar budgets or with with his mouth and hands. If you took away his hands and gagged him, I have no doubt he could have done it with his toes in the sand but now he's telling stories for someone else and they're left with people who clearly think pretending to be him is all it takes to pull this kind of thing off.

it's not.
This! Joe showed us what the stories were with set design and props. Now it feels like Disney tells us what the stories are by actually having an imagineer or character actually tells us what we're about to experience. It's even evident in the naming of their newer restaurants:

Toledo - Tapas, Steak & Seafood​

Topolino's Terrace – Flavors of the Riviera​

For some reason Disney feels the need to spell out everything for it's guests rather than letting the product speak for itself.

MrPromey

This! Joe showed us what the stories were with set design and props. Now it feels like Disney tells us what the stories are by actually having an imagineer or character actually tells us what we're about to experience. It's even evident in the naming of their newer restaurants:

Toledo - Tapas, Steak & Seafood​

Topolino's Terrace – Flavors of the Riviera​

For some reason Disney feels the need to spell out everything for it's guests rather than letting the product speak for itself.
And notice in these videos how they have a crutch?

In the case of Ann Morrow, it's a known professional actor acting sitcom-level excited while she (as clearly not a trained actor) attempts to match his over-the top enthusiasm which makes it all come across as false and cringe-worthy... and not, imho, her fault, btw.

In this second one, it's an imagineer basically acting as an interviewer for someone who comes across as a a little boy talking about his big school project.

In both cases, my statement is not meant to attack the people - either Ann or Matt - they were both put in situations here they shouldn't have been for what was expected (again, these clearly weren't Joes or Tonys, etc., with experience headlining this sort of thing in public) and in Matt's case, the angles and shots they gave of him presented no sense of authority or confidence in his role or what he was explaining. He mostly came off as amazed and small himself rather than knowing what is presumably in part, his own creation.

I think that's why someone here was more focused on how he looked like a "hipster" rather than what he was talking about.

That b-roll wide angle shot they repeatedly used where they keep trying to show off the room behind him in soft focus is a big part of the problem, there, I think. That would have been the time to either show him or show off some of Halcyon but instead, they tried to kind of do both and did it poorly.

Last edited:

Sir_Cliff

Quite literally just received an e-mail from Disney about my upcoming trip. At least these photos are objectionably better than the constant reuse of old concept art.
It is interesting to me that they are not pushing the idea of dressing up or even role playing in these images. It's more like "wear that sparkly top you already have in the wardrobe that could pass as vaguely futuristic" or maybe buy a hat as you would at the theme parks, then enjoy a drink, entertainment, characters, etc.

My reading is they really want to reassure people that they can just sit back and let everything unfold around them without feeling pressured to dress up or play a role. Would be interesting to know what their market research is telling them about the market for this and whether some are being put off by the suspicion they're signing up for some kind of LARPing convention or Comic Con.

Hawg G

Cheap based on what? Simply because it lacks faux crap glued or painted all over it? Overlooking all the infrastructure setup JUST FOR THIS?

Just because it looks like a steal warehouse doesn't make it cheap.

Based on what Disney has convinced their resort guests is expensive. You know, a 100 foot long waterslide. An actual wall separating the whole bathroom in a hotel. A 10% larger room. All things that clearly make a hotel true Deluxe level, worth double the price of normal hotels.

The stuff Disney doesn’t put in the value resorts would probably cost a couple million bucks total.

Incomudro

Yes, this is an imagineer talking but notice how much screen time she gets? It's her voice through the whole thing but with appropriate music under it and Every. Single. Shot. after she's introduced is some element of the land/attraction that she's in the middle of describing.

This is how they used to do all of this stuff when someone like Joe (or Tony or a very small number of others) was not the lead of the project.

Why they couldn't do that with quick short cuts of tracking and panning shots of the dining area, check in area, the more expensive rooms, etc., I don't get.

Even if none of it is that special, appropriate lighting can hide all that and if they're really concerned that letting people get real action glimpses of the physical location is giving too much away, it tells you how much faith they have in the experience they plan to create there.

I don't think that last thing is really the case but I can't think of any good reason for why they're being so dodgy about it all unless this close to "launch" they're still having trouble figuring out exactly what it is.
I agree with what you said 100%.
As advertisements go, they failed tremendously with the Starcruiser.
Perhaps it's amazing, but who knows?
They haven't showed us a single thing that's wowed me.
No "gotta go there" content.

Hawg G

And notice in these videos how they have a crutch?

In the case of Ann Morrow, it's a known professional actor acting sitcom-level excited while she (as clearly not a trained actor) attempts to match his over-the top enthusiasm which makes it all come across as false and cringe-worthy... and not, imho, her fault, btw.

In this second one, it's an imagineer basically acting as an interviewer for someone who comes across as a a little boy talking about his big school project.

In both cases, my statement is not meant to attack the people - either Ann or Matt - they were both put in situations here they shouldn't have been for what was expected (again, these clearly weren't Joes or Tonys, etc., with experience headlining this sort of thing in public) and in Matt's case, the angles and shots they gave of him presented no sense of authority or confidence in his role or what he was explaining. He mostly came off as amazed and small himself rather than knowing what is presumably in part, his own creation.

I think that's why someone here was more focused on how he looked like a "hipster" rather than what he was talking about.

That b-roll wide angle shot they repeatedly used where they keep trying to show off the room behind him in soft focus is a big part of the problem, there, I think. That would have been the time to either show him or show off some of Halcyon but instead, they tried to kind of do both and did it poorly.

I think you’ve put Joe Rohde in a sentence with Tony Baxter a few too many times...

MrPromey

I think you’ve put Joe Rohde in a sentence with Tony Baxter a few too many times...
Twice being too many for you?

My point in mentioning both of them, btw was to make clear that I wasn't simply trying to put someone on a pedistool and act like they single-handedly were everything ('cause I was sure to be attacked for that, otherwise and Joe grew up under Tony) but that I was talking about a different level/class of people in this field.

I'll go back and edit in Marty or someone else's name to make you feel better, though.

coco-miguel.gif

;)

Last edited:

WowFactor

It is interesting to me that they are not pushing the idea of dressing up or even role playing in these images. It's more like "wear that sparkly top you already have in the wardrobe that could pass as vaguely futuristic" or maybe buy a hat as you would at the theme parks, then enjoy a drink, entertainment, characters, etc.
Right, even because it is much better not to encourage people to dive right in. IMO for the hotel it's much easier to deal with an average guest than with a super SW fan that will require an experienced CM on the subject.

WDWJoeG

My reading is they really want to reassure people that they can just sit back and let everything unfold around them without feeling pressured to dress up or play a role. Would be interesting to know what their market research is telling them about the market for this and whether some are being put off by the suspicion they're signing up for some kind of LARPing convention or Comic Con.
I would argue these images they are putting out are clearly telling people this is NOT an immersive cosplay/LARP/character dress up playtime and that this is just an extension of the Batuu theme park experience or similar to the Las Vegas Hilton Star Trek experience years ago.

If you want to, as an adult, carry around a plastic light saber or wear a Jedi robe at dinner, knock yourself out, but everybody else will be in just normal theme park attire like every other hotel.

This also opens the experience up to a much larger audience (and partially restores my faith in humanity).

fryoj

I would argue these images they are putting out are clearly telling people this is NOT an immersive cosplay/LARP/character dress up playtime and that this is just an extension of the Batuu theme park experience or similar to the Las Vegas Hilton Star Trek experience years ago.

If you want to, as an adult, carry around a plastic light saber or wear a Jedi robe at dinner, knock yourself out, but everybody else will be in just normal theme park attire like every other hotel.

This also opens the experience up to a much larger audience (and partially restores my faith in humanity).

It would almost be worth the $6k to go see the hardcore larpers getting mad and having meltdowns when the family who don't care about $6k or larping don't play along.

WDWJoeG

It would almost be worth the $6k to go see the hardcore larpers getting mad and having meltdowns when the family who don't care about $6k or larping don't play along.
I was hoping that somebody would post videos of these delicious exchanges and save us all the $6K, but I'm starting to think committed "characters" are going to be few and far between.

From these latest photos, it is also clear they are not encouraging the adult costume dress up playtime to continue into Batuu mixed in with the other park guests.

_caleb

There is a reason for this. The public! Disney’s audience has little imagination, strong-yet uninformed opinions, and a short attention span. They literally had to include an explanation on the website that no, the Starcruiser does not, in fact, travel into space.

It’s sad, but subtle doesn’t work anymore. People just can’t be bothered to think.

TikibirdLand

There is a reason for this. The public! Disney’s audience has little imagination, strong-yet uninformed opinions, and a short attention span. They literally had to include an explanation on the website that no, the Starcruiser does not, in fact, travel into space.

It’s sad, but subtle doesn’t work anymore. People just can’t be bothered to think.
What? I'm gonna have to re-consider my reservation! But, that'll be after I get done with my Pineapple Dole Whip... Oh, and my Mickey Bar.... What were we talking about again?

TP2000

By this logic…. 99% of everything they do is cheap because it doesn’t move the annual numbers on it’s own. Genius logic there… a universal argument.

I'm afraid you missed my point here. I never expected this small 100 room hotel to drive huge attendance gains (or even noticeable attendance gains, really), or create big earnings that can be called out specifically in earnings calls or shareholders meetings. And if anyone did advocate that here, they're not understanding how truly insignificant this capital outlay is to a giant company like Disney.

But, when this likely fails in its current iteration, it's such a small and insignificant outlay for a giant company who makes Billions in net profits every fiscal quarter that it will slip into Yesterland without causing much financial hardship for Burbank.

It's too small to cause any significant pain for the parent company, if and when it fails. :)

So? This is like arguing every ride needs to be an e-ticket or they went cheap.

There is room for different concepts in the world and it’s not just based on risk.

Again, that's not what my point was. I have long advocated in this forum that Disney theme park experiences are a tapestry of experiences. You can't just have big E Tickets and giant Night Spectaculars. You have to have charming B and C Tickets, and you need 3 piece bands performing on restaurant patios or small-ish street shows like Viva Navidad, among other smaller and focused options to create a fully realized experience.

That's why I think Disneyland excels as the flagship park. It has more E Tickets than any WDW park, but it also has a couple dozen more rides that are often B and C Tickets than any WDW park does. It's a tapestry of experiences, big and small, and it's nearly perfect.

This Galactic Starcruiser had so much potential as a small, boutique hotel experience for WDW. An incredibly unique alternative to the 1,000 room megahotels that are getting blander and blander at WDW. And it appeared as though it would remain a WDW exclusive. But from what we've seen so far of the actual interior design, plus the proposed daily operation, and their truly dreadful and cringey marketing of it, they have created a big failure.

And when it flops, they'll easily move on and abandon that small, generic warehouse on the backside of DHS.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom