News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

Lensman

I think that the fact that we have had multiple people with polar opposite opinions posting in the past few hours about whether they would split their party or bring the hypothetical “Star Wars hating granny” with them proves this isn’t a straw man argument. Many people travel to WDW with extended families and people of varying ages and interests. This is a very real issue Disney needs to consider and I’m sure they have a plan or at the very least a team working on a plan. A lot of it comes down t how they market it.
I agree and do think it's a stretch that it's actually a straw man argument but mostly I thought that everyone would find the concept of the straw grandma funny. I see that I was mistaken and apologize for trying to bring a smile to readers here.

But I do think it's somewhat of a straw man argument to me since it's an argument that an immersive, participative Star Wars experience as a whole will fail because 100% of the people who come aren't going to be Star Wars fans. Suddenly the proposition, which Iger would state as:
From the second you arrive, you will become a part of a Star Wars story! You’ll immediately become a citizen of the galaxy and experience all that entails, including dressing up in the proper attire. Once you leave Earth, you will discover a starship alive with characters, stories, and adventures that unfold all around you. It is 100% immersive, and the story will touch every single minute of your day, and it will culminate in a unique journey for every person who visits.
to add "plus if you don't want to do that, we'll make you happy too!" Dealing with people who don't want what it is isn't part of the proposition. My advice would be, don't argue the point of how to make the stick-in-the-muds happy, just leave them at home or, as others have suggested, split your party for 2 days. If you're planning a combination DCL/WDW trip but grandma has thalassophobia, the options are clear. :)

Also, lots of people who don't like Disney still go with their families to WDW and have a great time. That's because going to WDW is not like going to a Star Wars convention. I'm guessing that Disney will not be depending purely on your commitment to the Star Wars IP and knowledge of canon to be critical to your enjoyment. The idea is to make the activities themselves engaging and fun for the whole family by tapping universal human traits like overcoming obstacles, solving problems, and instant gratification. Star Wars just provides the contextual universe, just as Toy Story provides the contextual universe for the Toy Story Midway Mania game.

@GoofGoof, I agree with all your personal observations about parenting toddlers. If I had toddlers, I'd try to wait until after they were grown up enough to appreciate this before spending the bucks to take them.

Lets Respect

I don’t think one can count on the price of something as the measure that keeps uninterested folks out.

I’m all for certain experiences not having to be for little kids.

Maybe they could put an age minimum on this SW resort, maybe 8 and up. I just don’t think Disney will do that and you will see a lot of young kids there

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I don’t think one can count on the price of something as the measure that keeps uninterested folks out.

I’m all for certain experiences not having to be for little kids.

Maybe they could put an age minimum on this SW resort, maybe 8 and up. I just don’t think Disney will do that and you will see a lot of young kids there
I agree. They definitely won’t flat out ban young kids. What they could do is market it more for adults and older kids. They could make restrictions like “due to narrow hallways and the flow of the attractions, no strollers inside the resort”. They could limit kids food options for the meals (no way they eliminate kids food since some older kids are still picky eaters...and some of their parents;)). They could make the price the same for everyone (no kid discount) and also not free for kids under 3. I can almost guarantee you that the vast majority of families with a 2 year old or under will skip this if they have to shell out $1K plus for some food and entertainment the kid won’t even want. Especially when theme parks are free and kids dining is cheap on property. It would be a no brainer.

Notes from Neverland

I don't think this resort is going to be nearly as immersive as a lot of us think it's going to be.
This is my guess as well. May have started out with that in mind, but when reality and practicality came knocking, it likely got scaled way back. I imagine we'll hear lots about what didn't make it as the years go by.

MagicRat

Well, all I know is I get a severe rash when I see other resort goers not wear boots and spurs at the Wilderness Lodge, and don’t get me started on the the folks who aren’t sporting grass skirts at the Polynesian.

Look it’s a vacation, people are going to do what they want and if they have the money to be there so be it. I am going to put my 4K to be there and as long as the gift shop has Bud Light and there is a pool, my cargo short wearing dad bod is going to be having one heck of a galactic day!

flynnibus

Premium Member
I'm in this camp. I can totally see the original pitch being 100% immersive, but I can also see that getting watered down considerably before it opens.

My glimmer of hope is that it has remained the very small hotel. There is no way this turns into 'mass scale' at the size they built it.. and the only way to keep small scale happy is with high prices... and Disney needs to justify those prices... so the 'wow factor' is the only way to do it. Still holding on hope they do as originally pitched. I never saw this as a LARP, but I do see it as full immersion.

tonymu

Premium Member
My only point was that there will be people staying there who aren’t 100% into it. There will be babies and toddlers there. There will be bored grandparents lol
I don't think there will people staying there who aren't 100% into it. I don't think there will be babies and toddlers there. I don't think there will be bored grandparents there. I don't think this should be thought of as a regular hotel resort. I think this should be thought of as an upcharge experience for that want to pay for it. Think of it like taking the family to Montreal where the Cirque Du Soleil is headquartered. You reserve a room at the Montreal Hilton for 7 days for you the wife and two kids. Your wife is a Cirque fanatic and you find out they have a 1 day, 2 night immersive program where she can train and live like a Cirque performer. She trains like them for a full day with a check in the day before and a checkout the day after. She stays in the performer "dorms". It costs $1,000 per person. During your stay in Montreal she goes and pays $1,000 for the Cirque Experience and you take the two kids to the museum and zoo. Only those who pay for the experience and sign the waiver enter the property and stay in the dorm. When she has done the experience she re-joins the family at the Hilton. I think the "Star Wars Experience" will be more like this than a stay at the Polynesian.

BrianLo

It's a two day cruise to nowhere. Full stop. Why are people still unable to figure this out? How on earth do people survive two day cruises to nowhere?

I'm certain there will be activity considerations for all ages, this is Disney after all. I don't exactly hear a string of grannies taking off in life rafts on actual two day cruises to no where. There will be adult considerations, obviously kid considerations and probably a pseudo-daycare for Timmy (never mind the fact he's still visiting at the discounted rate of 800$ a day) so Dad can partake in some libations.

Seriously... TWO DAYS. For something that will be very expensive and very all inclusive. People will survive and probably know exactly what they are buying for the giant wad of money it will cost...

I think people still think this is going to be a Water Parks and More option that every person capable of taking a mortgage out on their annual Disney trip will be partaking in. This is a very exclusive option, we're talking 150 families out of the 150 thousand people visiting WDW property any given day. If people aren't interested in kicking around for two days (and somehow managed to book this thing), they will quickly realize how much money they've frivolously wasted on a bed to go visit Epcot for a day.

Except they'll die on the gondola ride so that's a moot point I guess.

Incomudro

I can’t speak to the money side of it. To some folks that is a drop in the bucket. My only point was that I don’t see family groups breaking up their travel party for days to do this. So I do think there will be a lot of little kids and “Grandmas” there just like every resort

Absolutely.
Any family unit that can afford this and would like to go, is going to book this hotel just like any other hotel.
Severity of role play will be chosen by the guest.
So, if our hypothetical Grandma wants to be largely left alone - castmembers will do so - likely based on her Magic Band.
If dad and the kids are all in, castmember will know that too, and interact with them more.
The hotel will certainly have a lounge, quite possibly a pool.
Some people expecting something much more severe.

rle4lunch

Are any of you ever happy about anything? It's like you sit around waiting to complain about something, anything... If there's nothing to complain about or talk to, you conjure up crap like this. Poor grandma, no fair to people, blah blah blah. Listen, I'm 99.9% sure that people booking this friggin' "immersive" experience know EXACTLY what they're getting themselves into. No one plops down $5k-8k (or whatever ridiculously exorbitant amount of money this will cost) for a family of 4 (or 5, to include old Aunt Edna) without every person in the vacation party TOTALLY on board with it.

On the extremely rare instance that someone walks into this situation without the foggiest idea of what to expect (even thought they probably booked it a year out, and received 45 vacation brochures about what to expect during their stay), well, that's where two fools met, and they deserve to feel cheated.

drod1985

The simplest solve to maintain full immersion for those wanting to participate but not trap grandma or the unwilling 8-year-old in a room for two days is to offer an in-story way out of the resort. I've said it before, it's as simple as themed "shuttles" that take you back to Earth from the space cruiser.

The absolute reality is that people are going to need to leave the resort anyways. Even if you want 100% immersion, what happens if you unexpectedly need to pick up some medication from an outside pharmacy during the experience?

I think the opportunity for a very high level of immersion will be there, but it's also going to be elective and you're going to be able to leave without breaking the immersion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom