News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

Movielover

Interesting question from the architectural design POV. In Germany it is not allowed to build rooms which are used as accomodations for humans without any windows. In the concept art it seems like the rooms will have only "windows" that open to "space", absolutely magnificent considering the immersion and personally I don't have any problems of sleeping in a room without windows that gets air only by the AC (the windows in the values can't be opened too), but I don't know if US building regulations allow this.

Not certain on US building regs, but in the UK we have hotels that have inner rooms without any windows (usually in budget hotels), so I'd assume the US would be the same. I believe there are a number of hotels in the US that have 'inside rooms', although the main concern when talking about windowless rooms is the lack of an emergency exit in case of fire. Would imagine Disney has thought about that one...

Pretty much all windows in American hotels can not be open and are pretty thick.

Kamikaze

I think the idea is that you spend much of your days in the parks and have special privileges in SW:GE for being a resort guest but that when you are in the resort you will be immersed in Star Wars with lots of exclusive activities/missions/adventures/whatevers. I don't think they are planning for people to be in there 24 hours a day.though.

From what we heard when the survey was around, they are planning on making this two day stays, where you don't leave the resort for the entire first day and do things around the resort that are planned for you. The second day ends with you disembarking for SW:GE.

This isn't something you stay for a week at. It isn't even clear if it will operate 7 days a week.

Kamikaze

This is going to be awesome. I actually hope the cost is high enough that the 360 experience keeps hotel guests to a minimum. It's great to imagine this and look at the concept art, but it doesn't take much to also picture in your mind having the immersive experience ruined by an army of strollers and hover 'rounds.

The number of rooms will limit the amount of guests, not cost. Its not going to be some giant resort. Its what they would call a 'boutique' resort.

G00fyDad

From what we heard when the survey was around, they are planning on making this two day stays, where you don't leave the resort for the entire first day and do things around the resort that are planned for you. The second day ends with you disembarking for SW:GE.

This isn't something you stay for a week at. It isn't even clear if it will operate 7 days a week.

No thanks. I refuse pre-made itineraries.

rsm

So its more of a Live Action Role Play sleepover than a "hotel" - which is... interesting. And as Disney's first departure from the 'stay on property to spend money all over property' its further clarification that this is going to be expensive - has to be at least as expensive as staying at a deluxe resort + park tickets for a day + meals + merch, etc since they're expecting you not to leave and spend money elsewhere on property.

I'd imagine eventually they'll either add on or create a separate 'regular' Star Wars themes hotel (which is probably what most of the world is expecting this to be). Hopefully more than just a Value motel-style with BB8 bedspreads.

CaptainAmerica

So its more of a Live Action Role Play sleepover than a "hotel" - which is... interesting. And as Disney's first departure from the 'stay on property to spend money all over property' its further clarification that this is going to be expensive - has to be at least as expensive as staying at a deluxe resort + park tickets for a day + meals + merch, etc since they're expecting you not to leave and spend money elsewhere on property.

I'd imagine eventually they'll either add on or create a separate 'regular' Star Wars themes hotel (which is probably what most of the world is expecting this to be). Hopefully more than just a Value motel-style with BB8 bedspreads.
What on earth are you talking about? This isn't a departure from "stay on property to spend money all over property," it's the refined perfection of it. That's the very definition of "all-inclusive" it's the Magical Express / Disney Dining Plan model taken to the extreme.

21stamps

I suspect the price will do that more than anything. It's one thing to pay 80$/night for Great Wolf Lodge and have one kid who doesn't swim and spends the whole time screaming about it.. it's quite another to spend like, 2000/night for someone who isn't going to take advantage of any of the amenities.

Where the heck can I stay at GWL for $80?!?

We went for 3 nights this past Spring.. it was close to $500 per night for a standard room.. not including food, MagicQuest etc.

Bairstow

What on earth are you talking about? This isn't a departure from "stay on property to spend money all over property," it's the refined perfection of it. That's the very definition of "all-inclusive" it's the Magical Express / Disney Dining Plan model taken to the extreme.

I think what he means is that this is the first Disney World resort explicitly designed with the expectation that most guests would intend to spend entire days at the resort itself. It's less of a place that families sleep when they're not at the park and more of a cruise ship (starship?) that doesn't go anywhere.

Maeryk

We went for 3 nights this past Spring.. it was close to $500 per night for a standard room.. not including food, MagicQuest etc.

Wow. The one we did in the poconos a number of years ago was not nearly that much.

rsm

Indeed - I'm not saying its not a good idea. But what I said if you read it clearly is that its a departure from charging you to pay for a place to sleep, while throughout the day you're spending money in many locations.

This is an all-inclusive "spend more money in one place" as opposed to "spend some money in many places".

Jordanaous

Wow. Americans really get a bum deal when it comes to hotel costs, don't they? For UK people, it's about that price per night to stay at the Four Seasons at WDW, and less to stay at Boardwalk/Yacht Club...

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
Think of it more like an on-site cruise ship that doesn't actually go anywhere. I believe there are going to be PLENTY of guests who come to Orlando JUST to stay here (and not just "normal" theme park guests... I predict this will draw out a WHOLE bunch of people who may not be into the whole "theme park" vibe).

Maeryk

Wow. Americans really get a bum deal when it comes to hotel costs, don't they? For UK people, it's about that price per night to stay at the Four Seasons at WDW, and less to stay at Boardwalk/Yacht Club...
Gwl lodge is an indoor waterpark with other amenities.. not just a hotel.

CaptainAmerica

Indeed - I'm not saying its not a good idea. But what I said if you read it clearly is that its a departure from charging you to pay for a place to sleep, while throughout the day you're spending money in many locations.

This is an all-inclusive "spend more money in one place" as opposed to "spend some money in many places".
I guess so, if you look at the cost of the resort as "really expensive lodging." I look at it more as "lodging plus food plus entertainment." So you're still Disney for all of those various components of a Disney vacation, it just happens to be located in one physical location.

21stamps

It is here as well. GWL is kind of the exception. It's a destination hotel, closest one to us is adjacent to an amusement park. We didn't leave the hotel for 3.5 days we were there.. I think that's the only time I've stayed inside for almost 4 days.. but with the pool area you don't feel like you're only inside.. plus you have a view of an amusement park from your balcony.

Hopefully the SW Resort would have something to let you see sunlight or a domed pool.

MagiQuest (an upcharge option) is one of the coolest things we've ever done though.. Disney should have thought of it. Maybe they could have something along those lines at the SW hotel.. a mission that you have to complete...but on your own timeframe.

Last edited:

cyanaye

i dont see why they'd MAKE you stay in there the entire time. They want people to spend their money all around the Disney World property.

Maeryk

i dont see why they'd MAKE you stay in there the entire time. They want people to spend their money all around the Disney World property.

Yeah.. I'm thinking people are extrapolating based on the very limited info we have, that this is going to be like, a dream park cruise ship, effectively.

I think it more likely it will offer levels of immersion.. you can just sleep in a star wars inspired room with views of star wars IP out the "windows" (which is kinda a neat design.. it means rooms don't have to have outside connecting windows), all the way up to full on immersion for the day, if you want it. It's proximity to SW:GE makes me think it's not designed as a "don't leave the hotel for 3 days" deal.. if that was the case they could slap it in anywhere in the hinterlands.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
While individual departments would like you to spread it around as would Disney's third party partners, in reality, it makes very little difference if you spend $10k at a single resort or $10k between a few resorts and parks. You could even argue that Disney as a company would make more if you spent it all at one resort as they would not have to pay for the transportation system to cart you around from place to place.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom