News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I misunderstood what you were saying. Agreed, buying into DVC is apples to oranges compared to this. The best you could do is compare it to remting DVC points or paying cash to Disney for a stay in the Poly bungalows which is going to cost you on average around $2,500 a night (assuming you rent 150 points @ around $17). People are willing to pay it. Not me, but others are. To your original point, I don’t think the Poly bungalows are always full either. I checked the DVC member site and only 4 nights are sold out in July/Aug/Sep with 2 being 7/3 and 7/4. It is the most extreme example of a high priced room.

If you factor in $700 for a deluxe room, $400 for park tickets and $400 for food for a family of 4 in a day that’s $1,500. Assuming this is all inclusive for both food and entertainment I would think the price would be somewhere north of $1,500 a night since this is supposed to be a premium experience. Assuming 2 night stay over $3,000 for a family of 4.

I’m not disputing people will pay it...that’s not my point. People will...but for how long are you gonna fill it?

And that is wholes dependent on how they handle Star Wars.

And this week...after a Star Wars FLOP ( fast and the furious is 0-8 at last count...for reference sake)...I should get some silence on that.

And the movie wasn’t bad...really not much at all. This wasn’t John carter...but it was. Best be looking at the bigger picture, me thinks.

I see the Uber fans running right in up front...no question...and there will be disney purists and novelty fans. Maybe a small annual cult following.

But then what? What generations have the money? (Hint: it’s the boomers and Xs)
What generations have almost none? (Hint: it’s the Y and Zs...look at the college and credit debt, savings and real estate statistics)...

Not to go Socio-Econ here...but it does play. Here’s a thought: what if this is a 5,10 year thing by design?

...others have floated conversion after novelty has warn off and I can see it. In that case: bravo, Disney.

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Gotcha.

However, I still think the immersive experience will mean an after hours special event for the SW resort guests which includes only SW:GE. Thus, no special FP+ will be needed.

As I noted in another post, I think the resort stay will include an exclusive time of access to SW:GE for SW resort guests only, much like the MNSSHP or MVMCP special ticket events. But, those resort guests would be limited to the SW:GE area for the special experience. Going outside of SW:GE would not make sense as part of the experience.

It's just a guess, based on nothing other than what I think would make for a great experience.
It’s going to be a really late night for an after hours event. AK was regularly open until midnight or later last summer after Pandora opened and this is 2 e-tickets plus a much more popular IP. I am guessing DHS will be the latest park open every night for a year or longer after Galaxy Edge opens just to keep up with regular demand. According to others here this experience is being marketed towards families and little kids so I’m not sure how a post-midnight trip to DHS will go over. I have no inside info, but my best guess is if/when you have a mission into Galaxy’s Edge you will get a fast pass reservation for the same timeframe for one or possibly both of the rides depending on what your task is. You may just need to visit a store or restaurant to get something or interact with a character which won’t require a FP at all.

If they do offer significant time in Galaxy’s Edge before or after regular park hours I would expect the cost to reflect that. It’s pricey to open or leave open even part of a park for a very limited number of guests.

Lensman

For $3K I want expect to be worshiped by Ewoks.
giphy.gif
We are now a part of the tribe!

flynnibus

Premium Member
Are they full?

But that actually doesn’t matter...i’m Sure you know what DVC is and why that analogy doesn’t work.

By bot sitting empty soneone is paying the points and dues on those points. No one is getting those cheap.

The point is you dont need enough of these buyers to fill a SSR... but they have enough thst will pay these outrageous amounts that are filling the poly, wl cabin, etc. club level, etc. the money is out there.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
By bot sitting empty soneone is paying the points and dues on those points. No one is getting those cheap.

The point is you dont need enough of these buyers to fill a SSR... but they have enough thst will pay these outrageous amounts that are filling the poly, wl cabin, etc. club level, etc. the money is out there.

But that’s not how it’s sold...depending on the size of the contact, each room is sold 25 times over on average. But that doesn’t mean the points for those rooms are sold to fill those specific rooms. It could be somebody ponying up for 750 to stay there once a year...or it could be 5 150 pt (average) size contracts...or 10 75 pt (minimum) contracts. That’s how the pool works.

And the points are used anywhere...which is a huge win for Disney

Those bungalows weren’t really built to be occupied...they were to sell $200 points by the tens of thousands. It doesn’t really matter if anyone is in them...and as pointed out earlier...there often isn’t.

Same at wilderness lodge.

And who is in them? Might be newbies...or it could cats like OKW lover (other board) who was obsessed with DVC points (credit to him for doing well for himself), but had like 2100 total spread out over a bunch of contracts...

Anyway...the Star Wars Hotel should be bigtime one shot cash...which opens the potential for tons of buyers remorse if they don’t really nail it.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

My point is it’s not a 1:1 scenario...

It’s not as though they announced they were buildings these and 1000 people lined up to pay the 700-1000 a week specifically to stay in bungalow #4. Many of Those points were sold in smaller chunks to people using them at bay lake...

The Star Wars Hotel is just that: high cost per night for a specific spot in short term. Different dynamic.

Who knows? Maybe it will be really easy? We spent a lot of time at “the company” watching discovery cove when it opened...nobody knew if that would work...the research was looked at with skepticism.

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
But that’s not how it’s sold...depending on the size of the contact, each room is sold 25 times over on average. But that doesn’t mean the points for those rooms are sold to fill those specific rooms. It could be somebody ponying up for 750 to stay there once a year...or it could be 5 150 pt (average) size contracts...or 10 75 pt (minimum) contracts. That’s how the pool works.

And the points are used anywhere...which is a huge win for Disney

Those bungalows weren’t really built to be occupied...they were to sell $200 points by the tens of thousands. It doesn’t really matter if anyone is in them...and as pointed out earlier...there often isn’t.

Same at wilderness lodge.

And who is in them? Might be newbies...or it could cats like OKW lover (other board) who was obsessed with DVC points (credit to him for doing well for himself), but had like 2100 total spread out over a bunch of contracts...

Anyway...the Star Wars Hotel should be bigtime one shot cash...which opens the potential for tons of buyers remorse if they don’t really nail it.
With DVC there is a small but not insignificant number of people with what I personally consider a boat load of points, bordering on obscene. Those are the people booking the bungalows and grand Villas. If someone buys 150 points they can only stay 1 night on average there so even if they bank and borrow they are at most staying 3 nights and using 3 years worth of points. Maybe as a novelty someone does that once but not on a regular basis. In the same example someone who owns 500+ points can borrow a little from next year and stay a whole week. That’s who is booking the bungalows. I agree it’s apples to oranges compared to the SW resort.

The reason it was brought up is to highlight that people are willing to spend a whole lot of money at WDW and that is just on the room alone.

This is a big gamble for Disney. I agree that if it flops or fails to impress it’s going to be hard to keep the place filled. There is a hard core SW fan base out there but not all of them want to do cosplay or really want anything to do with WDW and even if they do come to see this resort not all of them will be willing to lay out that much cash on a recurring basis. Like I said many pages back, if it fails it will be relatively easy to convert this to a standard WDW hotel with direct access into SW Land which is a lock to be wildly successful.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
This is a big gamble for Disney. I agree that if it flops or fails to impress it’s going to be hard to keep the place filled. There is a hard core SW fan base out there but not all of them want to do cosplay or really want anything to do with WDW and even if they do come to see this resort not all of them will be willing to lay out that much cash on a recurring basis. Like I said many pages back, if it fails it will be relatively easy to convert this to a standard WDW hotel with direct access into SW Land which is a lock to be wildly successful.

Yep...definitely risk.

You highlight a great point...I am a longtime OT Star Wars Fan - a diehard (and ima dying) by any metric. Many my age/circle are...but we don’t go to conventions...and have gotten a tad impatient with failure to do the obvious by LFL: make STAR WARS...not “fresh takes”...

But anyway...I am only slightly intrigued by this. And here’s the thing...as a grizzled Disney veteran of the western front AND a Star Wars Fan: do I want to go extra for this?

I’ve had DVC for 13 years...this isn’t a slam dunk and it probably should be.

winstongator

Supply and demand: there are tons of cruise options out there to choose from. There's only one of these.
Theoretically, There are substitution effects though. Real experiences like summiting a mountain or other expedition type aren’t necessarily cost constrained - takes physical and mental strength as well as risk taking. I’m trying to think of a real comparable experience and am coming up empty.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Yep...definitely risk.

You highlight a great point...I am a longtime OT Star Wars Fan - a diehard (and ima dying) by any metric. Many my age/circle are...but we don’t go to conventions...and have gotten a tad impatient with failure to do the obvious by LFL: make STAR WARS...not “fresh takes”...

But anyway...I am only slightly intrigued by this. And here’s the thing...as a grizzled Disney veteran of the western front AND a Star Wars Fan: do I want to go extra for this?

I’ve had DVC for 13 years...this isn’t a slam dunk and it probably should be.
IMHO a slam dunk would have been a Star Wars themed hotel next to SW Land with direct access into the park and possibly an upper floor lounge with views into the park and/or of fireworks. It would have appealed to casual fans and hard core as well. It would have been a place to stay while visiting WDW.

This resort is a whole different concept. The role playing, dressing up, staying on site for multiple days. There are people who this will highly appeal to and they may not even be huge SW fans. Someone many pages back posted links to a role playing event they attended that was held at a standard hotel. I do think it’s a risk because it’s unique and unproven. That doesn’t make it bad at all. If anything Disney should be praised for taking a shot at something new instead of taking the easy road to almost guaranteed financial success. If it takes off, Disney and others will probably build more similar experiences. How about a Marvel version in CA or Harry Potter at any of the Universal parks.

flynnibus

Premium Member
My point is it’s not a 1:1 scenario...

It’s not as though they announced they were buildings these and 1000 people lined up to pay the 700-1000 a week specifically to stay in bungalow #4. Many of Those points were sold in smaller chunks to people using them at bay lake...

Doesnt matter how they paid.... it still has and demands a street value/night to stay there based on the points chart. People need to "spend" X points.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Doesnt matter how they paid.... it still has and demands a street value/night to stay there based on the points chart. People need to "spend" X points.

How about those that bought them for $38 a point Pre-Sale in 1992...?

Or me that paid $70?

And we get to use them year over year for that same darn price and a little bit o fees.

You got yourself all twisted up on this one.

Here’s the only DVC comparison: someone spends a years worth of points/maintenance dues equivalence on a very short stay of some sort. That is a valid one.

But if they use the same points the next year for 28 nights at OKW...it blows it out of the water again.

We’re off course...I’d say we can agree the Star Wars thing/pricing will be new ground?

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member

Or me that paid $70?

And we get to use them year over year for that same darn price and a little bit o fees.

You got yourself all twisted up on this one.

Here’s the only DVC comparison: someone spends a years worth of points/maintenance dues equivalence on a very short stay of some sort. That is a valid one.

But if they use the same points the next year for 28 nights at OKW...it blows it out of the water again.

We’re off course...I’d say we can agree the Star Wars thing/pricing will be new ground?
The DVC comparison is not appples to oranges, but I do agree that there is a “street value” for the points used. If you consider DVC points no more than a foreign currency the exchange rate is roughly $14 per point (which is roughly what you can get to rent your points out). If you choose to spend 150 points on a bungalow for one night you are giving up the option to rent those points out for $2,100 (150 X $14). What you paid for the points and even maintenance fees are irrelevant. Those 150 points are still worth $2,100. That’s why the trade in for cruises is such a bad deal. If you just rented out those DVC points and took the cash and paid for the cruise you would come out way ahead.

Back on topic, there is no doubt in my mind that the cost for this will be sky high. Anyone assuming it will cost the same as a cruise or a deluxe hotel stay is likely going to have some major sticker shock. Assuming the demand is high and the project succeeds they also won’t need to discount it a whole lot due to the low number of rooms. The cruise ships are huge so there’s a lot more to sell.

flynnibus

Premium Member

Or me that paid $70?

Im not going to repeat myself and im tired of having to break it down to preschool level... what you paid per point means nothing to the discussion.

The bungholes still require ~3x the number of points of the kind of rooms your references bought for. Those points can be easily converted to market values (not what your cost was). Plus non of those references have poly homed comtracts at those kinds of dollars.

The bungholes at 600-1200 points a week are still a huge premium over other inventory.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Im not going to repeat myself and im tired of having to break it down to preschool level... what you paid per point means nothing to the discussion.

The bungholes still require ~3x the number of points of the kind of rooms your references bought for. Those points can be easily converted to market values (not what your cost was). Plus non of those references have poly homed comtracts at those kinds of dollars.

The bungholes at 600-1200 points a week are still a huge premium over other inventory.

Stick to imagineering...because this DVC isn’t equating for you. The amount of premium depend on who from a 250,000 list of contracts used it. It would be huge for some fool paying $209 upfront now and not nearly as big if you bought Hilton Head for nothing - as my in laws did.

The Star Wars Hotel is a large, daily, one time purchase that doesn’t move forward...DVC NEVER is with the one exception of rentals.

DVC is not no matter what way you try to spin it. It absolutely does matter what people pay for bungalows for you to make your case: and not a single person other than the rentals pointed out earlier.

And those are rare...and that’s an understatement.

I honestly don’t care at this point. But don’t call me argumentative...like ever...you’re trying to be the cheeky smart guy here and it didn’t work out.

Sometimes you get the bear and sometimes the bear gets you. Ease off the throttle a little.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The extra long days for SW:GE would likely be true for the first year, as the resort will take at least that long to build. But, after that...

The Halloween and Christmas parties start at 7pm. So, if the park closes early just one night during the experience, could that not work? For example, in a two week window you might see the following:
  • Sunday: Arrival Day - HS open regular hours, SW resort guests stay in hotel/ship for normal boarding, training, and then begin the journey.
  • Monday: Daytime experience in the resort. On this night, HS closes at 7pm. SW guests arrive at Batuu, do the experience in SW:GE for 3-4 hours.. Return to the hotel/ship and begin the return journey.
  • Tuesday: Debarkation day, reset hotel and get ready for next set of guests to arrive the following day.
  • Wednesday: Arrival Day - HS open regular hours, SW resort guests stay in hotel/ship for normal boarding, training, and then begin the journey.
  • Thursday: Daytime experience in the resort. On this night, HS closes at 7pm. SW guests arrive at Batuu, do the experience in SW:GE for 3-4 hours.. Return to the hotel/ship and begin the return journey.
  • Friday: Debarkation day, reset hotel and get ready for next set of guests to arrive the following day.
  • Saturday: Arrival Day - HS open regular hours, SW resort guests stay in hotel/ship for normal boarding, training, and then begin the journey.
  • Sunday: Daytime experience in the resort. On this night, HS closes at 7pm. SW guests arrive at Batuu, do the experience in SW:GE for 3-4 hours.. Return to the hotel/ship and begin the return journey.
  • Monday: Debarkation day, reset hotel and get ready for next set of guests to arrive the following day.
  • Tuesday: Arrival Day - HS open regular hours, SW resort guests stay in hotel/ship for normal boarding, training, and then begin the journey.
  • Wednesday: Daytime experience in the resort. On this night, HS closes at 7pm. SW guests arrive at Batuu, do the experience in SW:GE for 3-4 hours.. Return to the hotel/ship and begin the return journey.
  • Thursday: Debarkation day, reset hotel and get ready for next set of guests to arrive the following day.
  • Friday: Arrival Day - HS open regular hours, SW resort guests stay in hotel/ship for normal boarding, training, and then begin the journey.
  • Saturday: Daytime experience in the resort. On this night, HS closes at 7pm. SW guests arrive at Batuu, do the experience in SW:GE for 3-4 hours.. Return to the hotel/ship and begin the return journey.
  • Sunday: Debarkation day, reset hotel and get ready for next set of guests to arrive the following day.
  • repeat...
In this two week scenario, HS would only need to close early five of the 14 days.

Maybe it could work, maybe not. But, it is possible...

Possible, but really not very desirable. Like you said, definitley not for at least the first year and quite honestly I hope never. If I’m paying full price for a park ticket I don’t want the park to close at 7PM. I know the holiday parties do it, but they are a handful of days during less crowded park seasons when you can usually get a lot of rides in with shorter lines in the limited time the park is actually open. The scenario you present has the park closing early 35% of the time or 130 days a year:( including during super peak times (spring Break, Christmas week, 4th of July, Thanksgiving week) when the parks are generally packed. Not a good thing for the vast majority of guests. If it turns out that this is what they need to do to sell this resort they should probably just make it a regular hotel

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom