Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker Reactions: SPOILERS

Screamface

What was woke about TLJ?

The issues are deeper than it being "woke." I admit I don't fully understand the term and how it applies to TLJ. One thing to be aware of, is that the audience picks up on things, or at least certain segments pick up on the intentions of the filmmakers. Often when it's not all that clear to nail down.

It's why one female lead action film will come and go with no complaints. Then another gets criticism from "toxic manbabies who just hate woman" who just enjoyed the previous female lead action film. There are ways agenda-driven, woke, storytelling affects the way the writers write the story and people pick up on it.

This is something that is often not clear, the writing can be infested with politics and agenda. It's not just, "a female character did this." It's deeper and ingrained in the choices the writer makes. Audiences are savvy enough to pick up on this in a subtle way that is hard to pin down.

One of the clearest ways "woke" writers intentions manifest is not being able to just write a strong female character who is competent. They have to write an incompetent, failed or bad male character for the female character to outshine. Tear down a man to show the female character is better. It's such an overused cliche. However, it betrays the writer's intentions. They don't want to show that a female character is competent. They want to show she's better than a male one.

While TLJ doesn't have a super clear scene, the entire premise of the script is that the male characters are wrong. Always. The female characters are right and better, always. The audience notices the culmination of these things across the film.

They would never have written the young female hero going to the old white man for advice and guidance. They have nothing they can pass on that can help. They're injecting modern politics. The other day Obama said old men cause all the worlds problems and if woman ran everything, everything would instantly be better. It's that meaningless woke ideology at play in this film and the audience can tell.

Rey goes to the old man. A failure, he has recognised his failure and given up. The galaxy is suffering due to his failures, the failures of other Jedi (men) and he's walked away, washed his hands clean. There's also an undertone of criticising organised religion. Ultimately old man realises he is wrong and the young woman will fix everything on her own.

The writer reduces the character of Poe to nothing more than a thin stereotype of a cocky male action hero, who breaks the rules and ends up saving the day by doing so. His entire plot is about taking him down a peg. It's about exploring this stereotypical archetype than having an actual story.

This isn't helped by the way Holdo is written. A new character, completely unlikeable, with no justification of why Poe or the audience should trust her. He just should. "But what would be different if she was a male character?" This is where the subtly comes up. You just know the intentions of the writing. Female authority is more planned out, rational, male is on the fly, emotional and irrational. There's a gender dynamic at work in the story. Highlighted by the female authorities wearing evening gowns into battle. To show they aren't just other members of the Resistance. They're fabulous woman. Star Wars previously showed the woman in battle in appropriate uniforms, equals. This wants to highlight the feminity with the costumes to underline the gender dynamics.

Finn is reduced to a bumbling character, who gets lectured at throughout the film. Former child slave learns that slavery exists. That horse racing is bad. His entire plot is just wasted on achieving nothing and for Rose to teach him lessons. "Man is dumb, woman has much to teach him." The film also tries to inject some modern politics of, "capitalism bad" there are no good or bad guys. Which goes against the clear cut world of what Star Wars is at its core. Good vs Evil. Not, "you're both bad, it's your perspective."

Hux is reduced to a fool. The First Order is written is to say "they're competent, conquered the galaxy off-screen." Yet the film will never show them to be competent. They just have a lot of power. We see giant ships, fleets and they all do nothing. Hux is disrespected constantly. By Poe, Snoke and even his own men snigger at him. There's no way the writer would write competent villains with costumes inspired by the Nazis. That's not woke, if he did, he'd fear that'd come across of condoning actual Nazis. He has to treat them poorly to make it clear that space Nazi's are wrong. The villains can't even be written as strong Villians, the writer is too concerned with them representing the patriarchy or something like that. They have to be taken down a peg.

Snoke openly mocks Kylo. The film presents Kylo's fall as being the fault of the previous male generation with Luke attempting to murder him. It's completely against Luke's storyline, his character and the Jedi way. Yet the "woke" writer has to show violence from men to the next generation causes them to be bad. Kylo fell because of the failure of men. Does he need Rey to show him how to be good? She's good at everything, automatically.

The entire film is permeated with choices made by a "woke" ideology. They may not be explicitly stated or clear but to many people that pick up on it. Even if it's somewhat on a subconscious level.

I could go on, the young female can effortlessly go to the dark side of the force without consequences. Is this highlighting that she has a greater ability to deal with emotions? She can do more? When men get angry, they lose control, toxic masculinity like Kylo. Rey is more evolved and balanced. More in touch and intune. Even Luke can see it. Kylo needs Rey. She doesn't need him. Now on its own, this isn't a big deal, but when the entire film is steeped in these ideas, it then becomes highlighted and hard to sperate out.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
JJ could have continued the ideas. Kylo wanting to destroy the past and end the days of good vs evil; the force spreading across the galaxy, the legend of Luke Skywalker resonating, Poe now carefully considering decisions as he assumes command and having learned from his hotshot ways. One of the few good ideas was Hux turning against Ren now that Snoke is gone, but then it didn't pay off to anything. The Knights of Ren were wasted. But hey, we got to see Lando laughing as everyone was fighting to death. Yay...
FB_IMG_1577147658968.jpg

The_Jobu

Because people never lose faith. Once they've been hastily trained and stopped themselves from murdering their father, they are 100% perfect and would never ever fall from grace after a tragedy.
The Jedi are perfect beings, hence why Sheev was rooted out and the Republic never fell. Oh wait, no, Jedi are people, too, and thus have faults and struggles.

You're either being obtuse or trolling, and I dont know which anymore. You ignore everything I say and then say such illogical things.

Why are you bringing up times when he was in battle fighting for his life, with a person who has done innumerable evil deeds, and comparing it to a bad dream he had about what his nephew MIGHT do. Luke would never say "welp, better kill him I guess!". He would mentor him, he would guide him, he would do every last possible thing in the world he could do, and even then, he wouldn't kill him in his sleep over things he hasnt done yet.

Do I have to write an essay on heroes? Archetypes? Character journeys? Luke is not a common person, nor is he supposed to be. He is a paragon. Superman doesn't have bad days where he almost kills Jimmy Olsen. It's not the right character, not the right franchise, not even the right movie to tear down Luke's character to such an extent. Roundhead just went wild doing whatever he wanted to a franchise someone else created because he didn't have a person in authority telling him not to do such tone-deaf stunts for the sake of being edgy.

I dunno. Maybe you really are master trolls and you've made me look the fool. Well played.

TROR

You're either being obtuse or trolling, and I dont know which anymore. You ignore everything I say and then say such illogical things.

Why are you bringing up times when he was in battle fighting for his life, with a person who has done innumerable evil deeds, and comparing it to a bad dream he had about what his nephew MIGHT do. Luke would never say "welp, better kill him I guess!". He would mentor him, he would guide him, he would do every last possible thing in the world he could do, and even then, he wouldn't kill him in his sleep over things he hasnt done yet.

Do I have to write an essay on heroes? Archetypes? Character journeys? Luke is not a common person, nor is he supposed to be. He is a paragon. Superman doesn't have bad days where he almost kills Jimmy Olsen. It's not the right character, not the right franchise, not even the right movie to tear down Luke's character to such an extent. Roundhead just went wild doing whatever he wanted to a franchise someone else created because he didn't have a person in authority telling him not to do such tone-deaf stunts for the sake of being edgy.

I dunno. Maybe you really are master trolls and you've made me look the fool. Well played.
You do realize Luke didn't kill Ben in his sleep, right? It was an invasive thought that entered his head in order to save his friends and everything he's built, but just as quickly as it entered it fleeted. Your idea that heroes have to be perfect is silly and childish.

The_Jobu

You do realize Luke didn't kill Ben in his sleep, right? It was an invasive thought that entered his head in order to save his friends and everything he's built, but just as quickly as it entered it fleeted. Your idea that heroes have to be perfect is silly and childish.

Ok friend, ok 👌

You really grasp the nuances of character arcs, paragons and genre. lol.

That's totally consistent with both Luke and this franchise, you've really go it together.

TROR

This whole conversation has become so strange. Yeah, humans arent perfect. I'm certainly not. But murdering an innocent person is not exactly the same thing as when I lied about how late I was out in high school.
The entire Luke debate is basically just "Would you kill baby Hitler?" but even more so "would you even consider killing baby Hitler for a split second?"

The_Jobu

The entire Luke debate is basically just "Would you kill baby Hitler?" but even more so "would you even consider killing baby Hitler for a split second?"

But it's not. It's really not. Have you just been skipping over all the comments?

It's more like: Would Luke (Jedi Grandmaster, Cinema's heroic paragon) Skywalker prepare to kill his own nephew, while sleeping, who might do bad things in the future...based off visions?

And that's not even getting into genre appropriateness. There's no time travelling Germans here. Please let that go.

TROR

But it's not. It's really not. Have you just been skipping over all the comments?

It's more like: Would Luke (Jedi Grandmaster, Cinema's heroic paragon) Skywalker prepare to kill his own nephew, while sleeping, who might do bad things in the future...based off visions?

And that's not even getting into genre appropriateness. There's no time travelling Germans here. Please let that go.
Stop thinking Luke Skywalker is a paragon, because he's not, and you'll understand why you're wrong.

The_Jobu

Stop thinking Luke Skywalker is a paragon, because he's not, and you'll understand why you're wrong.

Oh he's not? Oh ok. Great riposte. :rolleyes:

At least you stopped comparing it to time travel and Hitler. I'll take what I can get at this point, at least some things are getting through.

No, its would you kill baby joe because you had a dream he would turn into hitler.

Am I the only one that wouldn't kill baby Hitler? I mean, he's a baby. Just be a good friend, keep his nose clean, teach him love, encourage his painting....

No? Just me?

Fine.

Professortango1

I didn't realize you could speak for fictional characters. Your version of Luke Skywalker wasn't the one I saw in either trilogy. Sounds a bit boring. Luke didn't become Obi Wan. Luke also wasn't fighting for his life at the end, he was striking out in anger. The same movie where he Force choked guards. And Luke IS a common person. Born on a farm, he rose up and became a beacon of hope. Luke isn't Superman, he's Luke Skywalker. But fitting reference considering the same lousy screenwriter wrote Batman V Superman as Rise of Skywalker.

Professortango1

No, its would you kill baby joe because you had a dream he would turn into hitler.

In a world where it is established that the Force allows you to see the future and where a Sith Lord can destroy entire planets of people with a command. Yeah, I can see him thinking about it for a moment. Remember, this is the Luke who JJ set up as having fled and hidden away. He turned his back on the world.

TROR

Am I the only one that wouldn't kill baby Hitler? I mean, he's a baby. Just be a good friend, keep his nose clean, teach him love, encourage his painting....

No? Just me?

Fine.
You're telling me that you see the future of a child and it involves killing your family, your friends, and everything you've ever built, and your first thought isn't to get rid of it? You don't have to go through with it, you can even be ashamed of having that thought, but if you say it's not your first thought I think you're a liar.

The_Jobu

I didn't realize you could speak for fictional characters. Your version of Luke Skywalker wasn't the one I saw in either trilogy. Sounds a bit boring. Luke didn't become Obi Wan. Luke also wasn't fighting for his life at the end, he was striking out in anger. The same movie where he Force choked guards. And Luke IS a common person. Born on a farm, he rose up and became a beacon of hope. Luke isn't Superman, he's Luke Skywalker. But fitting reference considering the same lousy screenwriter wrote Batman V Superman as Rise of Skywalker.

He was a common person, then he became a beacon of hope, like you said, he completed the heroes journey. We're arguing the same thing here, you pretty much said it yourself. He is a hero.

I think we're just going in circles. JJ shouldn't have made him a gormless quitter, and then Rian wouldn't have had to explain it in such an un-Luke way.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom