Star Wars Ep. 9 Thread

Wendy Pleakley

I don't disagree TLJ painted this final film into a bit of a corner. I mean, JJ pretty much admitted it. I'm pretty rare in that I'm not on either side of TLJ. There are parts I hated, but there are parts I thought were really cool. And I kind of liked how Luke was handled. I do think it was wrong of them not to rework the film a bit when Carrie died, but that's a whole different thing.

In fairness, I think it was The Force Awakens that painted the films into a corner, if anything.

The so-called mystery of Rey's parentage? Many people wanted a big reveal like she was a Solo or a Skywalker, but that doesn't really fit with what TFA showed us, unless everyone involved was not telling her the truth, to force her to find her own way. Heck, it was fans pushing such theories, not the movie, which made a point of Rey being "no one" and establishing that her answers lied in the future, not in the past, and not from parents who aren't coming back.

Luke going into exile because of his failure with Ben Solo was again, something a lot of people didn't like about TLJ, but again that storyline was established by TFA.

I liked what TLJ set up for the final film. The heroes reduced to a scrappy rebellion gives them a challenge to overcome. The notion that the force belongs to more than just the Jedi. These elements set up a scenario where the greater galaxy can come together in opposition to the First Order.

I don't know how or if adapting to Carrie Fisher's death would have worked. The filmmakers are on record saying there was no way they'd cut her final appearance short, and certainly not cut the reunion between Luke and Leia. I agree with them sticking with the story they had, even if it added some complication to making Episode 9. I would have been fine with recasting Leia, in order to finish her story and the trilogy story as intended.

CinematicFusion

In fairness, I think it was The Force Awakens that painted the films into a corner, if anything.

The so-called mystery of Rey's parentage? Many people wanted a big reveal like she was a Solo or a Skywalker, but that doesn't really fit with what TFA showed us, unless everyone involved was not telling her the truth, to force her to find her own way. Heck, it was fans pushing such theories, not the movie, which made a point of Rey being "no one" and establishing that her answers lied in the future, not in the past, and not from parents who aren't coming back.

Luke going into exile because of his failure with Ben Solo was again, something a lot of people didn't like about TLJ, but again that storyline was established by TFA.

I liked what TLJ set up for the final film. The heroes reduced to a scrappy rebellion gives them a challenge to overcome. The notion that the force belongs to more than just the Jedi. These elements set up a scenario where the greater galaxy can come together in opposition to the First Order.

I don't know how or if adapting to Carrie Fisher's death would have worked. The filmmakers are on record saying there was no way they'd cut her final appearance short, and certainly not cut the reunion between Luke and Leia. I agree with them sticking with the story they had, even if it added some complication to making Episode 9. I would have been fine with recasting Leia, in order to finish her story and the trilogy story as intended.

For me personally, it wasn’t that Luke Skywalker went into excile. That was established at the start of TFA, it was the Mcguffin of TFA... the driving force.

What bothered me was Luke Skywalker quit on the Force, his friends. He quit on himself and the explanation given is he woke up (presumably he had to go to the bathroom), walked over and saw his nephew( son of Han,Leia) and saw he was having a bad dream and ignited his lightsaber with full intention to kill him. Wait.. what?

For a small vocal minority such as myself, that didn’t add up. Didn’t feel right, didn’t sit right.

Obviously there are 20 other significant points in the film I couldn't understand and strongly disliked...even smaller ones like cutting away from Luke and his reaction when he found out Han died. Movie wouldn’t even give the audience a chance to grieve.
Which brings up the question, why would you create a new trilogy and not try and incorporate the original cast together in at least one meaningful scene?

Maybe it’s because the majority didn’t want to see Han,Luke,Leia again... I’m of the small minority who did.

I’m cool with people loving the film and accepted this movie wasn’t made for me and my friends who grew up watching the original trilogy in the 70s/80s.

My 7 year old girls aren’t into Star Wars but man... they are into Avengers and stranger things. Which is cool, everyone has a myth they can follow for their generation.

erasure fan1

I would have thought the next trailer would drop during D23.
That would be a smart move I believe. They need to get the star wars hype train rolling. Personally I think the first full story trailer should have been out already. I just think waiting until October would be too late. This isn't infinity war leading into endgame. You have a lot more skepticism around this one.

Joesixtoe

For me personally, it wasn’t that Luke Skywalker went into excile. That was established at the start of TFA, it was the Mcguffin of TFA... the driving force.

What bothered me was Luke Skywalker quit on the Force, his friends. He quit on himself and the explanation given is he woke up (presumably he had to go to the bathroom), walked over and saw his nephew( son of Han,Leia) and saw he was having a bad dream and ignited his lightsaber with full intention to kill him. Wait.. what?

For a small vocal minority such as myself, that didn’t add up. Didn’t feel right, didn’t sit right.

Obviously there are 20 other significant points in the film I couldn't understand and strongly disliked...even smaller ones like cutting away from Luke and his reaction when he found out Han died. Movie wouldn’t even give the audience a chance to grieve.
Which brings up the question, why would you create a new trilogy and not try and incorporate the original cast together in at least one meaningful scene?

Maybe it’s because the majority didn’t want to see Han,Luke,Leia again... I’m of the small minority who did.

I’m cool with people loving the film and accepted this movie wasn’t made for me and my friends who grew up watching the original trilogy in the 70s/80s.

My 7 year old girls aren’t into Star Wars but man... they are into Avengers and stranger things. Which is cool, everyone has a myth they can follow for their generation.
Bro you are 100% not in the minority. Star wars took a dive after TLJ and it's that simple. It was a very easy formula to follow, take the OT characters on one last adventure while introducing us and transitioning into the new ones. Don't "kill" the past, respect it.
EP 8, and 9 needed Luke's voice over in the trailer, episode 9 needed Palpatine in the trailer and it needed Skywalker in the title. Disney needs the OT to sell, but for some reason wants us to move on when the film actually starts. Own up to your mistakes and a fandom will forgive very easily. Blame the fandom, force them to like what you want them to like and you will loose money.

ppete1975

Bro you are 100% not in the minority. Star wars took a dive after TLJ and it's that simple. It was a very easy formula to follow, take the OT characters on one last adventure while introducing us and transitioning into the new ones. Don't "kill" the past, respect it.
EP 8, and 9 needed Luke's voice over in the trailer, episode 9 needed Palpatine in the trailer and it needed Skywalker in the title. Disney needs the OT to sell, but for some reason wants us to move on when the film actually starts. Own up to your mistakes and a fandom will forgive very easily. Blame the fandom, force them to like what you want them to like and you will loose money.
also jj built the foundation for an interesting 8 and 9 while respecting the past and making people forget the prequels (it was fan service while introducing the new characters and the future). Instead of continuing the story (which btw in a trilogy is supposed to put the heros in horrible peril), Rian just pooped on everything and basically said... fans want this .. so im doing the exact opposite. It was a premade movie that could write itself.. instead Rian crapped on the fans in what felt like intentional alienation.

Joesixtoe

also jj built the foundation for an interesting 8 and 9 while respecting the past and making people forget the prequels (it was fan service while introducing the new characters and the future). Instead of continuing the story (which btw in a trilogy is supposed to put the heros in horrible peril), Rian just pooped on everything and basically said... fans want this .. so im doing the exact opposite. It was a premade movie that could write itself.. instead Rian crapped on the fans in what felt like intentional alienation.
"Fans want this... so I'm doing the exact opposite" like this is totally true, like weirdly true lol. When you think about it, it makes you feel a little(or a lot) played by Ryan. I really liked Looper and Brick and was very excited about Ryan and the direction of the ST... but then he plays some mean trick and everything we thought would possibly happen, and ends up being the worst case scenarios of each theory.

AdamNV87

Are we gonna get a second trailer in Octoberish and that will be that?
At this point, TFA and TLJ both had two trailers released already, with a third one due to premiere on Monday Night Football within a couple months.

For Rise Of Skywalker we have... just one so far. That is all.

It seems like Disney/Lucasfilm isn't as pumped about this one as the previous ones.

Hopefully D23 will give us something.

Ripken10

At this point, TFA and TLJ both had two trailers released already, with a third one due to premiere on Monday Night Football within a couple months.

For Rise Of Skywalker we have... just one so far. That is all.

It seems like Disney/Lucasfilm isn't as pumped about this one as the previous ones.

Hopefully D23 will give us something.
Or Star Wars Land is part of that hype, in their opinion (and I agree it will work). The movie doesn't need as much marketing as apparently you think it does.

AdamNV87

Or Star Wars Land is part of that hype, in their opinion (and I agree it will work). The movie doesn't need as much marketing as apparently you think it does.
I never thought it NEEDS marketing. The movie will make a fortune whether or not any teaser is released.

Maybe they're holding back to keep as much a surprise at the theater, which I am fine with too. I just thought it was strange in comparison to the previous movies how this one is behind on teasers, trailers, behind the scenes reels, and the like.

I'm assuming we'll get some new footage at D23.

AdamNV87

So...

Not to beat a dead horse with this trailer 2 topic, but with the Mandalorian trailer being released at the expo, and a lot of focus being directed toward it's November streaming release date, do you think this means any hope for a Rise of Skywalker trailer will be delayed until a later time?

Anybody at the expo hearing any chatter on possibilities we'll get something good this weekend?

Cosmic Commando

So...

Not to beat a dead horse with this trailer 2 topic, but with the Mandalorian trailer being released at the expo, and a lot of focus being directed toward it's November streaming release date, do you think this means any hope for a Rise of Skywalker trailer will be delayed until a later time?

Anybody at the expo hearing any chatter on possibilities we'll get something good this weekend?
Disney+ is certainly a focus, but I'll be shocked if we don't get another trailer this weekend.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom