Star Wars Disney Characters Going Away?

RSoxNo1

Fatigue's started to set in. Lot of reliance on formula. Villains are really generic outside Loki. And the success of the MCU feeding back into 616 and re-orienting stuff to support the movies and the properties under the MCU's umbrella's been ruffling some feathers.
I could see that argument a few years ago, but the last 4 movies are:
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Guardians of the Galaxy
Avengers Age of Ultron
Ant-Man

Because expectations were so high, I think Age of Ultron is regarded as the worst of those 4 movies, and I think the other 3 are among the strongest and most unique in the MCU.

Launchpad McQuack

Oh, yeah. Ant-Man in particular is regarded as a success for the studio because it had the smallest budget (impressive, because it no doubt had numerous "grandfathered" expenses considering just how long it had been in development) and got an admirable proportional return.

It was also a refreshing take from Marvel at the time. I mean, I love pretty much all of their movies, but after a string of movies with such high stakes and so much going on, it was good to see a relatively "small" story that was much more akin to the original Iron Man in both tone and scope.

But anyway... I'm hoping that over time, we get a really good variety of "real" Star Wars characters throughout the area in DHS. While I hope they stay away from "face" characters (Luke, Han, Leia, so many others), there are plenty of masked and/or makeup-heavy characters to go around.

asianway

I never got to meet the Disney/Star Wars characters in person, unfortunately. I do think they were a neat little thing to bring out on special occasions, though.

However, I can see why they are doing this now. Star Wars is about to have a much bigger presence in the park, and my thoughts are that they want this Star Wars land to be an immersive area where you enter the world of the movies. For this reason, they want to only display the "real" characters in the parks. For example, there is no reason to have Darth Goofy walking around with kids if you are trying to sell how special an actual meeting with the "real" Darth Vader is. Having the characters dressed in Star Wars costumes says "you are at our Disney park," as opposed to having just Darth Vader, Kylo Ren, Chebacca, etc says "you have traveled to a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away."

All that being said, I still have a "Darth Mickey" shirt someone gave me for Christmas and also just bought a "Pooh Dameron" shirt from Ript Apparel, so I enjoy the mashup concept.
You nailed it right there

Tay

I planned on getting all the plush when I go on my next vacation. Especially Yoda Stitch. I'm not a SW fan but somewhat liked the characters. The Disney versions sold me. I don't know anyone into SW but they would probably buy one of the Disney SW collaborations in a heartbeat. Can they give us a Max Luke Skywalker plush before get continue lol.

Last edited:

Tay

It's simple - they didn't give a hoot about the long-term value of the Star Wars brand before, just how much they could make off of the association. Now that they own them, it's a far, far different matter. I'm not surprised at all, and it makes the knee-jerk-reactions of some self-anointed "hard core" Star Wars fans when Disney made the purchase even more laughable - because Disney is taking brand integrity even more seriously than Lucas ever did.
As long as they don't have a Star Wars Live or on Ice I don't get the big deal of brand integrity for this decision.

hayzer11

Energy, you make the world go round!
It was also a refreshing take from Marvel at the time. I mean, I love pretty much all of their movies, but after a string of movies with such high stakes and so much going on, it was good to see a relatively "small" story that was much more akin to the original Iron Man in both tone and scope.

But anyway... I'm hoping that over time, we get a really good variety of "real" Star Wars characters throughout the area in DHS. While I hope they stay away from "face" characters (Luke, Han, Leia, so many others), there are plenty of masked and/or makeup-heavy characters to go around.

Some Admiral Ackbar, Ewoks always seem to be a big draw, i would wait in line to meet some Ewoks!. Wouldn't a Jabba the Hutt meet and greet be awesome?!?

EOD K9

For example, there is no reason to have Darth Goofy walking around with kids if you are trying to sell how special an actual meeting with the "real" Darth Vader is. Having the characters dressed in Star Wars costumes says "you are at our Disney park," as opposed to having just Darth Vader, Kylo Ren, Chebacca, etc says "you have traveled to a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away and spent a lot of money
There, fixed that for you.

Dragonrider1227

Really? The people who had Darth Vader dance to Thriller are suddenly worried about "integrity?"

Z7HeRxU.png

Last edited:

Matt_Black

From what I understand, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong (though I'm sure you would anyway ;) ), this comes mainly from Kathleen Kennedy. Since she's the one largely responsible for Star Wars staying a HUGE money-making franchise despite 3 films that could be considered mediocre at best, Disney's trusting her on this one.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Mockery? It was all in good fun. Let's not pretend that Star Wars is high art above spoof or satire. It's space cowboys and space samurai fighting space Nazis and space wizards in space.

Ever heard of too much of a good thing? Yeah, they crossed that line miles back and keep going. That thing was aweful

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Mockery? It was all in good fun. Let's not pretend that Star Wars is high art above spoof or satire. It's space cowboys and space samurai fighting space Nazis and space wizards in space.

Fun is not allowed at Disney, Only profit is allowed. I think Iger is channeling THIS guy (not Tom Baker) if you recall he was also obsessed with his companies stock price on the galactic exchange...

The_Sun_Makers______.jpg

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I could see that argument a few years ago, but the last 4 movies are:
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Guardians of the Galaxy
Avengers Age of Ultron
Ant-Man

Because expectations were so high, I think Age of Ultron is regarded as the worst of those 4 movies, and I think the other 3 are among the strongest and most unique in the MCU.

Not to mention in Age of Ultron the storyline simply SUCKED, So many attempts at sequel and 'synergy' moments instead of concentrating on being a fun summer movie.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom