Star Wars Augmented Reality Package

21stamps

500 bucks. What a sad, venal joke this company is being turned into by these corporate termites. And yeah I know...no one has to buy it. Hopefully no one does.
Pretty much all of their "In Room Celebrations" are this price..I think they have been for quite a few years, the past 3 for sure.

We are doing the "Christmas Celebration" this year, I went back and forth between the new Star Wars one and a Christmas theme- Christmas won. :).
It's not an every trip thing for sure, in my case the trip is a surprise for my son..he won't find out until the morning of, so it was 'worth' the money- for this once.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
I dunno... Was hesitant about the $200 limited edition mystery "Haunted Mansion" box they offered earlier this year, but I thought the overall experience that offered was REALLY well done! Including the special audio added to Haunted Mansion. I could easily see some added content on Star Tours for those doing this... Now claiming that could be worth $500 is a bit of a stretch (or at least debatable depending on your budget), but I could see it being a really solid experience...

mleeeman

Bill Cosby Coffee?
2m2dhft.jpg

No Name

Pokemon Go is completely free to play, but offers purchases within the game. And it has already made far more money than this Star Wars thing could ever dream of.

Marching to the beat of their own drum is usually fine. I understand, this is very different from Pokemon Go. This is a resort-only "game" meant to be played on the trip, and it comes with some physical items and clothing which add to the experience. Basically, I'd bet there's more meat here. But $500 worth of meat? I don't see it. Not even if it's wagyu beef.

When that drum makes less money AND upsets a larger percentage of customers... then you are idiotic for not marching to the beat of a better drum.

I'd have to see the product first, but from the description alone, this definitely ranks up there in the list of most overpriced things I've ever seen.

Last edited:

Jon81uk

Pokemon Go is completely free to play, but offers purchases within the game. And it has already made far more money than this Star Wars thing could ever dream of.

Marching to the beat of their own drum is usually fine. I understand, this is very different from Pokemon Go. This is a resort-only "game" meant to be played on the trip, and it comes with some physical items and clothing which add to the experience. Basically, I'd bet there's more meat here. But $500 worth of meat? I don't see it. Not even if it's wagyu beef.

When that drum makes less money AND upsets a larger percentage of customers... then you are idiotic for not marching to the beat of a better drum.

I'd have to see the product first, but from the description alone, this definitely ranks up there in the list of most overpriced things I've ever seen.

Poor comparison with Pokemon Go, the main cost of this package is having your hotel room decorated and everything ready for you http://disneyworld.disneyfloralandgifts.com/category/in-room+celebrations.do. The App is a smaller part of of the package.
Although all of these packages seem overpriced to me. Some banners and costumes are not worth $400.

bhg469

Gosh, if it was half the price, didn't have the in room stuff and had nothing to do with the animated star wars I would probably want to do this. But it isn't and I won't.

LaunchPadMcQuack

Sounds like a lot of fun, but as previously mentioned, the price is just ridiculous.
I'm curious to see if anyone can download the app and just playing along with the "Augmented Reality" portion of the experience without the in-room posters and medal.

No Name

Poor comparison with Pokemon Go, the main cost of this package is having your hotel room decorated and everything ready for you http://disneyworld.disneyfloralandgifts.com/category/in-room+celebrations.do. The App is a smaller part of of the package.
Although all of these packages seem overpriced to me. Some banners and costumes are not worth $400.

I wasn't aware that they were fully decorating your room. I thought you'd be discovering the imperial recruitment banner and such on your phone. I'm too used to the Disney Parks Blog speaking in metaphors. So perhaps a bit less overpriced than I had originally thought?

But still, $500 is a lot, and bound to upset some customers who are less than satisfied with what they get. And, because of the high price, I wonder how many customers they'll get. You are right that a true comparison can't be made, and I get that it's different. The reason I mentioned Pokemon Go was to point out that I don't think this is the best idea, because it'll make far far less money and result in more unhappy people.

I'm just not a fan of overpricing something, it is such a short-term strategy. Gets those to pay a little bit more one time, but turns them off from paying at all the next.

All I hope is that when people buy this, they realize what they're paying for. And that they don't want their money back.

Jon81uk

But still, $500 is a lot, and bound to upset some cusomers who are less than satisfied with what they get. And, because of the high price, I wonder how many customers they'll ge

I wonder similar things about every single thing sold by Disney Floral and Gifts. Every gift basket they sell seems overpriced for what you actually receive.

How is this
•(2) Storybook Chocolate – 5 pack, assorted flavors
•22” Mickey Mouse Plush
•Goofy’s Candy Co. Character Gummies
•Goofy’s Candy Co. Jelly Beans
•(5) Walker’s Shortbread Cookies, 2 pack
•(10) Assorted Ghirardelli Squares
•Mickey Mouse Icon Beveled Frame – 5” x 7”
worth $132?
http://disneyworld.disneyfloralandgifts.com/product/celebratewithmickey.do

Even considering it is delivered to your hotel room I don't see more than $75 of merchandise maybe?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom