Star Tours

lukacseven

Original Poster
My biggest problem with WDW...Star Tours. As a huge fan of both Star Wars and WDW, it is becoming extremely painful year-in and year-out to ride Star Tours. I love the ride, but please, please, update it already. We've seen 2 (and a 3rd on the way) new movies since the ride opened and it is in desperate need of a makeover...more than any other attraction in WDW. I am tired of the comedic robot pilot, and the same old thing. With today's digital technology and all the new worlds George Lucas has given us, why is it so hard to make a more serious and up-to-date ride that fans can enjoy. Anyone else share my sentiments or at least have comment?

TURKEY

Tell George to pay for the upgraded sound system and video.

I think that it's a hinging point. He wants Disney to upgrade the sound and video if he is to provide a new film.

Snapper Bean

This discussion relates to a post I put up on this board a few pages ago. New Ride v. Ride Update. The question becomes bang for your buck. Clearly, the technology to upgrade Body Wars and Star Tours exists. The question I have is whether if you pay to reprogram and upgrade you get the same, less or more bang for your buck than if you used that money to build a completely new attraction. Only Disney can answer that question but I have my thoughts that the upgrade can be marketed as Tower of Terror 4 is marketed.

Snapper Bean

egionet

I totally love Star Wars, so I completely agree with updating the ride. Not only does the film/ride that you see need to be updated, but so does the technology. I love the idea of flight simulation. There isn't anything better for Star Wars, I think, but the technology out there is so advanced, when compared to when the ride was built. I know a lot more people would ride the ride if it weren't so jerky. And now with the technology (i.e., Spiderman at IOA), the flight simulation can be much smoother. So I say new technology and new ride! That would be A-okay in my book!

Blake

Originally posted by lukacseven
We've seen 2 (and a 3rd on the way) new movies since the ride opened

I didn't know that there was an old movie...What was it like? Also, are we SURE we are getting a new one movie? Or is it just a rumor..?

Juggler

I didn't know that there was an old movie...What was it like? Also, are we SURE we are getting a new one movie? Or is it just a rumor..?

YOU ARE JOKING, RIGHT? How can anyone have missed Star Wars, Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi!

As a big Star Wars fan I always thought the ride and queue missed a few finishing touches. Like the staff should be in Star Wars costumes, eg Jedi Knights, Storm Troopers, Wookie etc. It would have been better than those boring blue and orange outfits they wear.

They should scrap the shuttle idea and that stupid robot. Turn it into the Millenium Falcon with C3PO and R2 or CGI in Han and Chewie!

BUT YOU ARE JOKING ABOUT NOT KNOWING ABOUT THE FIRST THREE FILMS! YOU MUST BE!

Fido

Originally posted by Juggler
YOU ARE JOKING, RIGHT? How can anyone have missed Star Wars, Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi!

As a big Star Wars fan I always thought the ride and queue missed a few finishing touches. Like the staff should be in Star Wars costumes, eg Jedi Knights, Storm Troopers, Wookie etc. It would have been better than those boring blue and orange outfits they wear.

They should scrap the shuttle idea and that stupid robot. Turn it into the Millenium Falcon with C3PO and R2 or CGI in Han and Chewie!

BUT YOU ARE JOKING ABOUT NOT KNOWING ABOUT THE FIRST THREE FILMS! YOU MUST BE!

Uh....I think he may have been talking about the movie from the RIDE, as opposed to the actual Star Wars movies.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
I think Blake misunderstood the quote he pulled, misinterpreting the 2 new movies to be new RIDE movies.

At least, that's the only explanation I can come up with :lol:

Fido

Like the staff should be in Star Wars costumes, eg Jedi Knights, Storm Troopers, Wookie etc. It would have been better than those boring blue and orange outfits they wear.

I dunno. A Jedi would have to screw up pretty bad to be assigned to a tour service, instead of saving the galaxy! :lol:

Elway79004

I agree. It needs a change. Plus, it is WAY too bumpy compared to newer simulator rides. It's not as enjoyable with your head bouncing around so much so the screen becomes a blur and you're dizzy when you get off. Mission Space could be the most difficult ride in history to put together, but its at smooth as can be and you don't get the least bit sick. The same is true for the new simulator at Universal, The adventures of Jimmy Neutron. Update Star Tours and it will just be a little more enjoyable.

---By the way, whatever happened to the pod racer idea???---

MartyMouse

the staff should be in Star Wars costumes, eg Jedi Knights, Storm Troopers, Wookie etc. It would have been better than those boring blue and orange outfits they wear.

As an old school Star Wars fan I would have to say that an update would be nice, but the outfits shouldn’t change too much in fact they should revert back to original jumpsuits they had when the ride first opened – that was so old school Star Wars (you still see them sometimes as opposed to the two piece ones they have on most of the time now).

I remember when the ride first opened they re-released the original film for one night engagements and my best friend and I couldn’t miss out on that. When we got to the Cross County Mall (where the film was to be shown that night) and they had cast members there in the jumpsuits and it was so reminiscent of the X-wing pilot’s jumpsuits that we got that old Star Wars jazzed-up feeling again (like when we were kids). But that’s off topic.

The jumpsuits and the fact that you are touring the Star Wars universe in a Star Speeder makes you feel as if you have stepped into that world that George Lucas first exposed us to back in 1977. It adds a “realness” to the experience.

As far as the film goes the FXs have held up over the years, but it’s time to up-date, it was time 4 years ago when Episode I came out. They should do a Tower of Terror thing where you never know what film you are to get. The Han Solo idea is cool and all but I doubt you’ll get Harrison Ford to do it.

Finally my gripe for the ride is – why are you going to Endor, when you just entered through the Ewok village on Endor AND after your speeder arrives at Endor why do you exit in a Tantooine shop. When they remolded shouldn’t they have looked at this fact?

“Well it’s my first time too.” – No it’s not you were my pilot last time Rex!!!

JimiThing1

Originally posted by MartyMouse
Finally my gripe for the ride is – why are you going to Endor, when you just entered through the Ewok village on Endor AND after your speeder arrives at Endor why do you exit in a Tantooine shop. When they remolded shouldn’t they have looked at this fact?
[/B]

Well if you noticed the whole theming of the ride is consistent upon being a soundstage. From the whole "filming in progress" sign when you enter, to the false facade set of the ewok queue, to the set piece of the tatooine shop. So when you enter the ride it is as if you are entering a soundstage of a production and when you exit you just exit into more set pieces of a Star Wars movie. The whole theming of the ride bases itself upon if Lucas just left these pieces of sets here after the production had wrapped.

MartyMouse

Good point I guess I forgot about that, I’ve been spending too much time in Disneyland and Disneyland Paris sorry.
However you have got to admit that taking out Endor Vendors messed up the look of the place.

Blake

Originally posted by Tiggerish
I think Blake misunderstood the quote he pulled, misinterpreting the 2 new movies to be new RIDE movies.

At least, that's the only explanation I can come up with :lol:

Yes, lol, of course i saw the all the movies but i must have misunderstood because i thought that the RIDE had an old video (different adventure or whatever you want to call it):hammer:

josh_e_washie

Personally, here is what I would love to see happen with Star Tours: Keep the same image of Star Tours- the company that is. But once inside the queue, you get to choose which tour you would like to go on. For example, keep the tour to endor/ get caught up in death star, but add things like a trip to corscant/ get caught up in traffic, a trip to Tatooine/get caught up in podrace, a trip to Naboo/ get caught up in battle from Episode I, etc. I think that would make the attraction much more interesting.
Also, if the idea of choosing your own ride was too much and too confusing queue wise, they could always upload all senarios into each flight sim and then once you get on the attraction or you are in line for your particular simulator, the flight saftey video could announce "On your trip to Tatooine..." or "On your tour of Coruscant...." etc. Each flight saftey video could even go over your projected sight seeing opportunities! I think that would be awesome! It would also make it feel much more like an airport/ tourist agency!!!!!!!!:sohappy: :sohappy:

ArsonWinter

Originally posted by josh_e_washie
...like a trip to corscant/ get caught up in traffic...

That reminds me of the time I went to New York City... and got stuck in traffic.... yeah, that was real fun, I can't WAIT FOR THAT RIDE EXPERIENCE!

Ahem, anyway. I don't think there's motivation for Disney to create multiple destinations, or else it would have been done already. I'm assuming cost of production has something to do with it. Besides, that would require multiple Droid pilot voiceovers, multiple effects shots (much, much more than producing one film would), and no to mention that these have to all be the same length for loading times. Plus, if you could pick out your ride film, that would get old if you wanted to see them all in one day; plus you're adding a genuine reason for re-rideability... how would you control the flow, the FastPass distribution, the wait times?

And that's if all ride films are created equal... what if one ride film is better than the others? Rides should be about balance, and a fair show for all. I understand, it would be cool to have an attraction where you could pick, but it's simply too hard to plan for.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom