Star Tours

ImSweetPea

Original Poster
:confused: Ok ok.. no one yell!!!! I am sorry if there is all ready talk of this.. but I am new here!! Have anyone heard of a new movie at the Star Tours ride??

RogueHabit

This is one of those rumours that goes around and comes around.... :)

Ever since the Special editions came out in 1997 there ahs been talk of an upgrade, but right now it ain't gonna happen.

wedwayjr.

It is due for an update. I have to say that it would require a lot of work to revamp, you could start by updating the queue videos from the 80's future shiek hairstyles. There is something to be said about the opticals and minature work in the movie though. In a way it's like a living museum to ancient visual effects.

RogueHabit

The videos would be no biggie and the pre-show could be rescripted relatively easily.

The problem lies in the sims themselves which are really beginning to show their age.

But the real issue is the new inride film, that comes from Lucasfilm/ILM and they are real busy now with Episode III and several other features that they are involved in.

SNS

Why does it need to be updated? If we can have new video games based on the original trilogy, I don't see anything wrong with having a theme park ride based on the original trilogy.

orlpassholder

Originally posted by ImSweetPea
:confused: Ok ok.. no one yell!!!! I am sorry if there is all ready talk of this.. but I am new here!! Have anyone heard of a new movie at the Star Tours ride??

First off let me say Welcome aboard.... aboard get it LOL sorry bad joke (I am a Fozzy Bear Fan)

Star Tours rumors have circulated for years about the supposid rehab.

From my understanding there are multiple issues the first being Lucas is focused elsewhere with Episode III

The second and probably the most true is money $$$$ the good ol' mighty buck. From the rumor I heard Lucas wants the sim system to have a new audio and projection system.

I have heard rumors and forum readers could put their 2 cents in of supposid fights between the design between Eisner and Lucas.

Basically we all agree it needs overhauled. Maybe with the new Star Wars universe for this generation. But speaking as one who grew up with the movies I would rather see the old Star Wars universe used

ImSweetPea

Original Poster
I think it could use a chage to.. but I would not be upset if it stayed the same. I kinda like going year after year.. and seeing the lady at the pre-show.. and her funny looking hair.....my Dad had a good point... It would be a shame for the people who have never been there to not be able to see it.. the way it is now...just a thought...

BRER STITCH

Star Tours makes me wanna :hurl:

Wonder what the "non-moving" viewing experinece would be like of this and the Body Wars films???

josh_e_washie

Yes I also agree that it needs an update. I would love to see a variety of experiences offered from the 'Star Tours' agency. For example, one could be the current trip to the death star, one could parallel the car chase on coruscant, one could be a podrace, etc. I think that would make the attraction that much more popular, and hey, while were at it why not through in the TOT aspect and make each ride random! You never know what you are going to get involved in on your trip to endor until you ride!!!!!!!!:lol:

RogueHabit

Originally posted by ImSweetPea
I think it could use a chage to.. but I would not be upset if it stayed the same. I kinda like going year after year.. and seeing the lady at the pre-show.. and her funny looking hair.....my Dad had a good point... It would be a shame for the people who have never been there to not be able to see it.. the way it is now...just a thought...
Just for you... ;)

startours2.jpg

prberk

Well, as for the relations with Lucasfilm, I wonder if the closing of Alien Encounter portends anything....

After all, that was a Lucasfilm-designed attraction, but it is being closed. I wonder if a problem between George and Disney helped move that decision along.

And, if so, would that tell us anything about the lack of change in Star Tours?

Don't forget also that this may relate strangely to Pixar also, as it used to be a division of Lucasfilm, I believe, and joined up with Disney about the same time that Disney contracted with Lucasfilm for Alien Encounter.....

Strained relations among these companies could have a lot to do with everything!

Personally, I think any participation that Disney can get from George Lucas on a Star Wars or other Lucasfilm project would be worth it in most cases.

imagineer99

In my opinion, Disney has never utilized their affiliation with the Star Wars Franchise properly.

Star Tours was a really cool attraction when it first premiered (first motion simulator I think). However, the advent of Mission: Space just makes the ride seem so dated, even more so than body wars. I think its time to start from scratch! I'm picturing an E-ticket attraction in which you actually get to fly an X-wing and stuff like that. (I know this will never happen, because of the money issue)

On a side note, how difficult is it to install a new video into a motion simulator? Besides video creation and the testing of motion synchronization, what else needs to be done?

ImSweetPea

Original Poster
CATCH 22... THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH!!! That Picture has made my day!!!!!!!!! I just love that lady...lol!!! Have a great day and thanks!!!!!!!!
Marisa

barnum42

The only rumour I read about Star Tours was their changing it to a Pod Race. But as we are now heading for two movies after that, I don’t see it happening.

I agree with Orlpassholder – use the original trilogy for inspiration

Joalovar

First of all, I love Disney and George Lucas franchises (Star Wars and Indiana Jones). I really think Star Tours deserves an update, nowadays with rides like IOA's Spiderman and even Disneyland's Indiana Jones, the people want something more exciting. The same is happening with Body Wars and Universal's Back to the Future. They all are getting behind technology advances.

But yes, we all know that this ain't a creative issue, it's all about $$$$$$$$$$, and a lot of it...

DarkMeasures

I think Star Tours should be replaced with a hyped up version of the Pod-racing arcade game. A racer would be in each capsule and they would all race each other on one of several tracks.

The G-forces felt on the ride would be the same in each car basically but each car would rotate and tilt differently to the person at the controls.

There could also be some AI put in the racing and some handicap so a person could not turn around, get stuck, get killed, or stop.

stitch rocks

Originally posted by DarkMeasures
I think Star Tours should be replaced with a hyped up version of the Pod-racing arcade game. A racer would be in each capsule and they would all race each other on one of several tracks.

The G-forces felt on the ride would be the same in each car basically but each car would rotate and tilt differently to the person at the controls.

There could also be some AI put in the racing and some handicap so a person could not turn around, get stuck, get killed, or stop.

that sounds fun... but man that would take a lot of renovation

X2CommNavISTC

Account Suspended
I honestly think it should stay the way it is.

It, like The Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular (DVD Oct 21st BTW), captures the true essence of the films. While it is old, I still love flying down the Death Star Trench. It's one of the things I look forward too when I go to The Studios.

Yeah, update it but just add in some better effects (Update them), digitize the film, restore it. Just don't get rid of it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom