Star Tours Question

minnielaw

Original Poster
Hey folks! Does Star Tours have an option to view the movie without sitting in the ride simulator? I would love the see the movie but not sure I can handle the motion simulator.

Thank you for the insight!

RonAnnArbor

No, there is no such option. A google search of You Tube will bring up plenty of videos of the ride from POV...some legal, some not legal. But there is no option to not ride to see the Star Tours films at WDW or any of the Disney parks...

The Empress Lilly

I wish ST would bear special needs in mind.

I would love for ST to use one capsule for people who can't, or won't, be violently tossed about. Me, I love it rough, but my next trip will be with a person who can't ride ST with me. The Force is too strong for her.

I woud love one stationary capsule, where old/pregnant/scared/handicapped people can just do a motionless ride.

Thrill Seeker

I wish ST would bear special needs in mind.

I would love for ST to use one capsule for people who can't, or won't, be violently tossed about. Me, I love it rough, but my next trip will be with a person who can't ride ST with me. The Force is too strong for her.

I woud love one stationary capsule, where old/pregnant/scared/handicapped people can just do a motionless ride.

The old one use to offer that as a "magical moment" of sorts. The new one can't, not won't, can't. It's something to do with the hydraulics freezing up.

real mad hatter

Hi there,Just arrived back and done ST at least a dozen times,loved it,no motion sick feeling of any kind,do I prefer it to the old non 3d version,yep,I do.

WDW_Emily

The old version was way better than the refurb one!!! The new one seems much tamer to me!!
I don't know if it's tamer or if the shakiness went down. All I know is we all loved it and my dad who used to feel dizzy after riding had no trouble with this new one.

The Empress Lilly

The old one use to offer that as a "magical moment" of sorts. The new one can't, not won't, can't. It's something to do with the hydraulics freezing up.
Okay. That's a shame.

Then next I wish that WDW would take a room the size of a capsule - just the size of a small storage room really - and theme it as a ride vehicle, then play the 3d-movie there.

That's not going to happen, but I have a nagging feeling that if the designers (in 1989) had born in mind the many special needs persons out there, then there was a good chance that they would've opted for a neat, cheap, elegant solution such as that. Then again, in 1989 it would've bee a bit pointless to just watch the movie - it wasn't all that good. ST suffers from being an upgraded ride in this respect. ST1 really was a bit of a pointless excersize without the motion. But ST2 has a tremendous set of movies, well worth seeing even without motion. I think that if ST2 had been build outright, one room might've been furbished to just play the videos. To be the normal experience, but not in a flight simulator, but just in a themed room with Threepio AA and a movie screen.

The Empress Lilly

I don't know if it's tamer or if the shakiness went down. All I know is we all loved it and my dad who used to feel dizzy after riding had no trouble with this new one.
ST2 feels more thrilling, while still more smooth. Maybe it's owing to a better coordination between image and motion, and a better image outright, and smarter programming. ST2 is a complete triumph, it's awesome in so many ways!

RonAnnArbor

There is no doubt that the current 3D version is less rough and the image is lightyears better -- it's a high def modern 3-D digital projection, not the old-fashioned blurry 3-D...but the ride itself has been smoothed out and has little jerkiness left to it. I used to get nauseous on the old one as well, not a single problem on the new one.

That being said -- people with special needs who want to experience the Star Tours queue and theming without riding can do that, and then just pass through and out rather than riding -- just let the CM know and they will show you how to exit before riding.

Like I said, many of the films themselves are available on YouTube.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom