Star Tours Question

righttrack

I know, you, like myself, would feel bad about killing all of those independant contractors on a WDW ride. Rest assured, it is the completed deathstar in Episode IV, so evil is punished. No roofers, plumbers, electricians were harmed in the making of this ride.

Since1976

One of my good friends, a self-proclaimed SW geek, said he was totally disappointed by the ride because it existed outside of the known continuity -- it had nothing to do with the characters or situations from the movie series.

I had to explain to him that the ride was made after the STAR WARS hype of the early 80s had died down, and was intended to be a straight simulator ride, not a continuation of the story. The resurgence of STAR WARS in the last decade has made the ride seem old, outdated, and irrelevant.

I would personally love it if they tore the whole area down and replaced it with a more elaborate STAR WARS area, with multiple rides, character meet and greets, restaurants (the Mos Eisley Cantina, anyone?) and the like.

CoffeeJedi

Master Yoda said:
In the second expanded universe trilogy (written by Kevin J Anderson) a super top secret imperial weapons development facility know only to the emperor and a few select others was discovered in the Maw near the Spice world of Kessel. This facility was so top secret that they did not know that the Empire had fallen. At this facility was the prototype of the Death Star. While the New Republic was busy chasing Kyp and the Sun Crusher a small Remnant force was able to capture the Death Star prototype ,complete it and hide it in an empty area of space just past Endor (remember you fly past Endor) that was avoided by nearly everyone in the galaxy due to the huge amount of comet activity. The new Republic learned of this new Death Star and that is was manned by a skeleton crew and protected only a few Star Destroyers. Because the bulk of their force was scattered throughout the galaxy the New Republic dispatched a small number of new Rogue Squadron pilots to destroy this new threat to the Republic.

There is your story and continuity.

i read the Jedi Academy books, was this mentioned in the actual text, or backreferenced in a later book? i think when i made my New Republic era theory, i might have been subconciously thinking about this story

CoffeeJedi

Since1976 said:
One of my good friends, a self-proclaimed SW geek, said he was totally disappointed by the ride because it existed outside of the known continuity -- it had nothing to do with the characters or situations from the movie series.

I had to explain to him that the ride was made after the STAR WARS hype of the early 80s had died down, and was intended to be a straight simulator ride, not a continuation of the story. The resurgence of STAR WARS in the last decade has made the ride seem old, outdated, and irrelevant.

I would personally love it if they tore the whole area down and replaced it with a more elaborate STAR WARS area, with multiple rides, character meet and greets, restaurants (the Mos Eisley Cantina, anyone?) and the like.
theme the whole thing to Tattooine but leave Star Tours almost as is (retheme the exterior and digitally change the exterior shots in the ride film, upgrade to DLP, etc). The Cantina resturant is a great idea, complete with an animatronic band, and either animatronic patrons, or costumed characters hanging around. Jabba's palace could be an auditorium with a stunt show themed to the Sarlaac pit. And the coupe' de gras could be an outdoor roller coaster themed to pod-racing. (sand color-track near the ground, light blue track for loops)

Since1976

Master Yoda said:
In the second expanded universe trilogy (written by Kevin J Anderson) a super top secret imperial weapons development facility know only to the emperor and a few select others was discovered in the Maw near the Spice world of Kessel. This facility was so top secret that they did not know that the Empire had fallen. At this facility was the prototype of the Death Star. While the New Republic was busy chasing Kyp and the Sun Crusher a small Remnant force was able to capture the Death Star prototype ,complete it and hide it in an empty area of space just past Endor (remember you fly past Endor) that was avoided by nearly everyone in the galaxy due to the huge amount of comet activity. The new Republic learned of this new Death Star and that is was manned by a skeleton crew and protected only a few Star Destroyers. Because the bulk of their force was scattered throughout the galaxy the New Republic dispatched a small number of new Rogue Squadron pilots to destroy this new threat to the Republic.

Now that is a pretty cool retcon (retroactive continuity)! If the Death Star destroyed in STAR TOURS is a prototype, does that mean that that is the one we see being built at the end of REVENGE OF THE SITH?

Did the book mention Rex or his ship? Does any book source mention Threepio and Artoo's stints at Star Tours? Or that Teek from Ewoks: The Battle for Endor became an actor and appeared in the Star Tours safety video?

:lol:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
CoffeeJedi said:
i read the Jedi Academy books, was this mentioned in the actual text, or backreferenced in a later book? i think when i made my New Republic era theory, i might have been subconciously thinking about this story

Since1976 said:
Now that is a pretty cool retcon (retroactive continuity)! Did the book mention Rex or his ship? Does any book source mention Threepio and Artoo's stints at Star Tours? Or that Teek from Ewoks: The Battle for Endor became an actor and appeared in the Star Tours safety video?

:lol:
Actually I made it up off the top of my head. The part about the prototype Death Star and Kyp with the Sun Crusher did happen in the aforementioned trilogy but the rest of the stuff was from my own brain. But for all of those who insist on any story about Star Wars, no matter how minor, must fit in with everything else ever produced my "story" fits the facts we have and would explain how there is a third Death Star in the Star Wars universe. Sorry for the confusion. :D :D :D

Since1976

Master Yoda said:
Actually I made it up off the top of my head. The part about the prototype Death Star and Kyp with the Sun Crusher did happen in the aforementioned trilogy but the rest of the stuff was from my own brain. But for all of those who insist on any story about Star Wars, no matter how minor, must fit in with everything else ever produced my "story" fits the facts we have and would explain how there is a third Death Star in the Star Wars universe. Sorry for the confusion. :D :D :D

You should copyright that and spread the word until it becomes canon. I'm sure George Lucas won't mind... heheh...

Good job!

EDIT: Check this out: http://starwars.wikicities.com/wiki/Star_Tours

You can edit this entry!

Chernabog

Wow, how exciting. I've found a thread that discusses my two largest obsessions, Disney rides and Star Wars. I really really like Master Yoda's explanation of how things worked out. In reference to someone's earlier post, there was a third Death Star of sorts. It exists in the book DarkSaber. It was a hybrid form of the original two built by a Hutt crime lord (Durga I think) but it was cylindrical shaped not sphereical. This way it could focus more power on the weapon and didn't need to house hundred of troops and personel. GEEKS UNITE! :sohappy: :D

diddy_mouse

wow...after reading this thread I will now look at Star Tours in a different way.

But here's a thought...if it's the Death Star from Jedi, which was orbiting Endor would they be having tours to and from with the Empire hanging around?

:cry: sheer geek-dom

CoffeeJedi

KumbaRider said:
It's a mix of both the average guest shouldn't notice.
BAH! who cares about them!?

i want a ride starring Nomi Sunrider and Momaw Nadon! I want to be hunted down by Aurra Singg working for the Yuhzan Vong, and escape with the help of Dash Rendar!!

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand I want the whole thing to fit perfectly in continuity with every single other Star Wars story in any medium (including the Holiday Special, Bea Arthur and Art Carney rock!!!)

i mean, is that too much to ask?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
CoffeeJedi said:
i mean, is that too much to ask?
Yes :lol:
I would love to see them do something with the EU but lets face it you me and five other guys would get it. The rest of the general public would be completely lost. :veryconfu

Since1976

What's funny is that STAR WARS is completely a work of fiction, yet fans and geeks like myself have a hard time sleeping at night unless plot holes and inconsistencies are explained away in a satisfactory fashion.

Thanks, MasterYoda. All is right with the universe now.

(And yes, I too get really happy when my two favorite obsessions -- STAR WARS and WDW -- collide. I almost feel like I'm on theforce.net forums...)

Thrawn

Account Suspended
Master Yoda said:

Yes, but that isn't the death star you attack in Star Tours. The Death Star prototype was ONLY an exoskeleton, and enough to have just the critical systems on board. It wasn't a complete sphere. Here's art:

Death_Star_Prototype.jpg

It has been written into the Star Wars canon that you are part of the attack on Death Star I. In the game "TIE Fighter" for PC, you run across the "StarSpeeder 3000" in a level just before the attack on Death Star I.

Also, there are at least two books that reference the Starspeeder 3000. "Spectre of the Past", and one of the X-Wing books. In fact, in the X-Wing books, the reference was something like "I still don't believe that that tourist ship came into the Death Star battle!"

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom