Rumor Star Tours AND Buzz Lightyear on their way out?

D.Silentu

While it sounds like a long shot I wouldn’t mind if this rumor came to pass. It would be nice to finally see the sizable carousel building live up to its potential. On the other hand its tough to imagine what could fit in the compact Buzz Lightyear space.

captveg

I wonder if a ride that uses the space of both Buzz and Star Tours which crossed overhead between the buildings is at all viable.

NobodyElse

While it sounds like a long shot I wouldn’t mind if this rumor came to pass. It would be nice to finally see the sizable carousel building live up to its potential. On the other hand its tough to imagine what could fit in the compact Buzz Lightyear space.

I don't feel the carousel building will live up to its potential until it's housing a rotating theater show as originally intended. Otherwise, I think I'd prefer them demolishing the thing and building something more purposeful.

mharrington

Original Poster
The ultimate source of all knowledge. The Disney Parks Blog!!!

Again, is that supposed to be a joke?

I thought they don't really deal in rumors, however. I was under the impression they announce whatever happens when it's about to actually happen (or do updates on things as they happen).

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

Journey into Imagination dark ride that applies Runaway Railway's 2.5D tech to smaller spaces/rooms

Wall-E dark ride (Turns out there's a second spaceship! We gotta rescue them and show them our progress revitalizing Earth!) with conservationist message

Horizons 2.0

TRON-themed bathroom

CaptinEO

I thought they don't really deal in rumors, however. I was under the impression they announce whatever happens when it's about to actually happen (or do updates on things as they happen).
Disney Parks Blog is the official Disney press release site, so yes there would certainly not be rumors.

The being said last years D23 was so bad the company was speculating on stage of things they might do.

Nland316

I recently read some buried post on Reddit, which I know to take with a grain of salt, but it seemed to give a very detailed and thorough breakdown of the hurdles that prevent a full TL redo from taking place. It wasn’t necessarily speculative, but gave some great insight on the complexities found in this area of the park.

Mostly having to do with points of access for construction, potential environmental hurdles in the Autopia plot, overcrowding/capacity concerns during construction, existing park infrastructure (costuming, offices, energy).

A project of this magnitude would take some major commitment and funding — assuming closer to a billion if they were to demo instead of retrofit. Both of which are definitely manageable for a company like Disney, but we all have to remember that the TL boundaries cover 1/3 of the park.

I do believe there are plans being cooked up by WDI, as a few insiders have alluded to. TL obviously has to be addressed at some point in the future, I just hope that when the time does come that it’s handled very carefully. It definitely would be a drastic change for the park to say the least.

Phroobar

Please remember that Fresh Baked has absolutely no internal connections to the Walt Disney company outside of talking to girl running one of the Storybook boats. They make up all of their information and occasionally get lucky.

I'd rather hear it via official channels instead of some stupid youtuber with no creditable sources.

mharrington

Original Poster
Disney Parks Blog is the official Disney press release site, so yes there would certainly not be rumors.

The being said last years D23 was so bad the company was speculating on stage of things they might do.

So only official sources for news?

Timothy_Q

The ideal Tomorrowland redo for me would use the north side of the land (autopia, subs) as a Fantasyland expansion to bring it up to par with other castle parks and add Frozen, Tangled, Batb, maybe Wish. And redo the entire south side of the land, demo Innoventions building, the old theater, old arcade, and use that space for a purpuse built ride (Wall-e? Elio?) and better Space queue, redo Peoplemover tracks, put Orbitron back in its original spot with a completely new aesthetic that matches the new land

Phroobar

My idea is lot more grand. I've stated it before. Innoventions become Horizon 2.0. The subs become preshow transportation to Seabase Delta at the base of a giant volcano. Inside, we have a underwater rollercoaster with live fish. We also have a Journey to the center of the Earth ride but a futuristic version. Star Tours becomes a ride through nano technology and computers. Pizza Planet becomes a time travel omnimover that incorporates the dinosaurs and the train. Buzz becomes a Mars rover racer ride that you steer similar to Mario Kart but you can spin it around. New modern version of the People Mover but with a Tesla look. Space X Falcon 9 rocket spinner ride in the center area. Space Mountain updated with better projections and the asteroid lite up.

Consumer

I don't care what they do with Tomorrowland so long as Space Mountain and the Monorail stay intact. Ideally, Star Tours should be moved to Galaxy's Edge with a new ride experience. To prevent repetition in the land, Smuggler's Run (a bad ride) could be replace with some sort of rollercoaster, perhaps centered around X-Wings...

CaptinEO

So only official sources for news?
I'd look at Disney Parks Blogs or WDWMagic. There are lots of reliable WDWMagic Insiders that have given information about projects well in advance.

Micechat used to be amazing for this but it seems ever since they got in the company's pocket / event list they no longer do rumor updates.

In terms of youtube the only one I'm aware of who has had good insider information (that came true) is Mickey Views which is also a well done news oriented channel.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I'm not sure how valid it is, but according to FreshBaked, it seems that there is a new rumor of Star Tours and the Buzz Lightyear ride being removed from Tomorrowland as part of a new overhaul of the land, along with the Autopia becoming electric and the mysterious Avatar experience replacing the Innoventions building (which would mean the DVC lounge would have to be relocated), not to mention doing SOMETHING about the PeopleMover track.

Oh, but there would be no Tron coaster, as there is no space for it. Instead, according to FB, it would likely be featured in the mysterious DisneylandForward project being rumored.

And it is said that they would like to try and do it all by 2028. The stuff in Tomorrowland, I mean.
While its fun to speculate and talk about rumors, please note that its very likely that some if not all of what was discussed in their video won't come true.

As the saying goes, take everything with a grain of salt. Basically don't put a whole lot of faith into the rumors discussed about future plans at any Disney Park.

TP2000

I recently read some buried post on Reddit, which I know to take with a grain of salt, but it seemed to give a very detailed and thorough breakdown of the hurdles that prevent a full TL redo from taking place. It wasn’t necessarily speculative, but gave some great insight on the complexities found in this area of the park.

Mostly having to do with points of access for construction, potential environmental hurdles in the Autopia plot, overcrowding/capacity concerns during construction, existing park infrastructure (costuming, offices, energy).

A project of this magnitude would take some major commitment and funding — assuming closer to a billion if they were to demo instead of retrofit. Both of which are definitely manageable for a company like Disney, but we all have to remember that the TL boundaries cover 1/3 of the park.

I do believe there are plans being cooked up by WDI, as a few insiders have alluded to. TL obviously has to be addressed at some point in the future, I just hope that when the time does come that it’s handled very carefully. It definitely would be a drastic change for the park to say the least.

That's interesting, and just looking at this area of the park from above it seems to all check out. The impact to the rest of the park during construction would be dramatic to say the least, and potentially catastrophic.

I remember when New New Tomorrowland was under construction in 1997-98 and it was a horrible maze of walls, dead-ends, and frustrated crowds just trying to get to Space Mountain or Fantasyland or anywhere but that rats den of construction. And that was almost 30 years ago when the park attendance was much lower and the crowding levels in the park were much less.

1689125494069.jpeg

Today, it would be a disaster at best and a serious safety hazard at worst to try that type of land-closing construction.

And all that construction in 1997-98 was only trying to reskin and repaint the existing facilities that were already there. They didn't build anything new for that miserable Paul Pressler failure of a remake. There are McMansion kitchen remodels that are more impressive than New New Tomorrowland's paint job project was in '97.

Here's the view from above. Now imagine trying to shut down all this park real estate and infrastructure, in whole or in parts, for several years at a time for a full and proper Tomorrowland remake. While losing major ride capacity, dining capacity, and pedestrian traffic capacity.

Closing this must terrify what's left of the management in TDA who is still knowledgeable about theme park operations. :eek:

In The Future, Size Still Matters.jpg

Last edited:

CHOX

Back when Galaxy’s Edge was announced I thought a cool idea would be to connect Star Tours and the People Mover. Have Star Speeders take Tomorrowland visitors to Batu. The distance between the lands wouldn’t make it practicable, but if anything could get the People Mover going it’s Star Wars.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom