Ssr ?

fairetails

Original Poster
Why is it that everyone says there is always room here when all other resorts are booked? I just bought it here and I'm nervous now. Is there anything wrong with it? It looked like one of the nicest to me but I could be wrong.

slappy magoo

Welcome to the boards first of all. And don't worry about SSR, lots of resorts are built on ancient Indian burial grounds and few, if any of them, ever mysteriously kill more than 2% of their clientele.

I kid! I kid because I'm a kidder!

Honestly, there's nothing wrong with SSR. It's my "home resort" as well, and I think it's just dandy. The fact that it's often one of the last resorts to fill up, even at peak times, has more to do with other factors than it not being nice (since it is quite nice). Here's how I personally see it...

1: Location. Much like OKW, the original DVC resort is within walking distance of Downtown Disney, with ferries to and from DTD as well. But since SSR is SO huge, "walking distance" is kind of a vague term. Heck, when I stayed there, it was a good 5-minute brisk walk just to get to the main pool and food court (hard to get "your money's worth" with your refillable mugs THAT way). And lots of people prefer to be close to the theme parks. Wilderness Lodge is a ferry ride away from the Magic Kingdom, plus walking distance to Fort Wilderness and the amenities available there. Boardwalk & Beach Club Villas are walking/water taxi distance from both Epcot AND the Studios, plus each other, the Boardwalk Entertainment District is right there, and the Swan & Dolphin is a 2-5 minute walk away. And while ANimal Kingdom Villas aren't walking distance from AK, they do have a unique amenity in the savannahs. I think those are just more attractive resorts for most people for those reasons (and I believe their maintenance dues are more than at OKW and SSR, and that could be the reason).

2: Theming. SSR's AND OKW's theming is amongst the most understated of all the Disney resorts, DVC or otherwise. As a result, some people feel it's less "Disney-ish" than other resorts. Whereas others like the respite of not being inundated with constant reminders that they're at a theme park 24/7.

3: Dining. When I stayed there in the summer of 05, there was the Artist's Palette food court and a few munchies at the Turf Club. Turf Club is now more of a full-serve restaurant, but from reviews I've read, it feels cobbled together, more of an afterthought than a choice. The resturant for people who are staying at SSR, too tired to go anywhere else, but don't want to be served on trays or qait on line. I guess, with so many dining options across the lake, decisions were made to not invest too much in eateries at SSR, but lots of people at least want there to be some options in the resort in which they're staying. However, for people who don't mind the limited dining options, or who make some meals of their own in their kitchen or kitchenette, they're rewarded with a much quieter, pastoral resort experience that seems more relaxed - I believe it was originally promoted with the idea of being a vacation within a vacation.

Believe me, I think there could be more going on at SSR without sacrificing the feeling of solitude. For instance, the "movie theater" could, you know, become an actual working movie theater, much like the movies-under-the-stars at Fort Wilderness. They show movies sometimes at the pool area, but a small theater constantly showing Disney titles would, IMHO, be a great asset for SSR (of course, THAT would mean competition for the UA theater in Downtown Disney, so it probably isn't going to happen). Plus, a resort that size could easily find the space for something that hasn't been developed at WDW in quite a while, a new dinner show ala Poly Luau or Hoop-de-Doo. Something with an old-school vaudeville-in-the-boonies flair would, I think, fit in well with the upstate New York horse-racing community theme. But again, a dinner show there means competition for Cirque du Soleil, plus Pleasure Island's Improv Club and Adventurer's Club. I don't know if WDW's management is afraid adding anything of interest to SSR would cannibalize businesses elsewhere, and they're happy leaving well enough alone, with the Spa making it more alluring as a grownups' WDW resort. But I think more entertainment-based amenities would be the sort of thing that would make people seek SSR out, both to stay onsite, and to visit if they're staying elsewhere.

All of this is my opinion, granted, but when all is said is done, SSR is a beautiful resort, part of that whole Disney magic thing without being hip-deep in it. With the exclusion of Pleasure Island's mini-fireworks at midnight, it's a very peaceful, remote resort that's still close to a whole entertainment district AND with everything else Disney close at hand. Don't worry.

disbest

SSR has a lot of potential but the other resorts have much more to offer.

Resale value keeps dropping. Much more supply than demand.

Never sold out.

I think they had waisted space that Disney turned into $$$.

Don't expect DVC to do much more with this resort.

It is a niece place to stay if your visiting Florida, but not one of Disney's premier DVC's or resorts.

MinnieLee

We stayed at SSR last May. As you said, the other resorts were booked out and this reservation was not in the usual 7 or 11 months. It was 3.5 months prior. We waited listed at Beach Club and Boardwalk but no luck. SSR is a huge resort. We were at Congress Park which was in walking distance to Downtown but we were over 1/2 mile from the main bulding so carrying groceries or our deliveries from the parks back was not convenient. Also, there were pools by our building but we wanted one day just to go by the pool, have a drink and relax but didn't want the hike to the pool bar. Bell services described it best - we love the resort feel of WL, BC, Boardwalk. SSR is more like condos. I guess it you ask to stay closer to the main building it would be better. There is no waitress or buffet breakfast just counter service. Turf Club opens around 11:30 or so. We even tried to get into another resort while we were there but everything was booked solid but realistically, how much time do you spend in your room---you're at WDW!!!!

MinnieLee

We stayed at SSR last May. As you said, the other resorts were booked out and this reservation was not in the usual 7 or 11 months. It was 3.5 months prior. We waited listed at Beach Club and Boardwalk but no luck. SSR is a huge resort. We were at Congress Park which was in walking distance to Downtown but we were over 1/2 mile from the main bulding so carrying groceries or our deliveries from the parks back was not convenient. Also, there were pools by our building but we wanted one day just to go by the pool, have a drink and relax but didn't want the hike to the pool bar. Bell services described it best - we love the resort feel of WL, BC, Boardwalk. SSR is more like condos. I guess it you ask to stay closer to the main building it would be better. There is no waitress or buffet breakfast just counter service. Turf Club opens around 11:30 or so. We even tried to get into another resort while we were there but everything was booked solid but realistically, how much time do you spend in your room---you're at WDW!!!!:sohappy:

KevGuy

disbest said:
It is a niece place to stay if your visiting Florida, but not one of Disney's premier DVC's or resorts.

I completetly DISAGREE with you. The resort is fantastic and the only one newer is Animal Kingdom. People like you give it a bad rap needlessly and your an owner there. It's my home resort too and I'd put it up against any of the others, plus I'll be going there about 10 years longer than any of the others will be except for AK. :eek: Wow, must be horrible to own somewhere you have never had a good word to say about, such as yourself. Why not just sell and try and buy resale where you want to go instead of getting shut out at the 7 month mark. I suspect that might be the case more often than not with all the new members. I'd try spell check too next time you post something. :hammer:

KevGuy

ConstanceIrene said:
I believe you wanted to type "you're" instead of "your"?

I take it your just spamming your post count up as you have no opinion or thoughts on the subject, just grammatical comments that have nothing to do with the thread subject? Regardless of the grammatical use it was spelled correctly unlike what I pointed out in my previous comment along with my comments on the subject. Thanks, but next time try and comment on the subject instead of just needless criticism to get your post count up. :rolleyes:

I take it your just spamming your post count up as you have no opinion or thoughts on the subject, just grammatical comments that have nothing to do with the thread subject? Regardless of the grammatical use it was spelled correctly unlike what I pointed out in my previous comment along with my comments on the subject. Thanks, but next time try and comment on the subject instead of just needless criticism to get your post count up. :rolleyes:
Well, you made a comment about somebody's spelling error. I was just pointing out that your post wasn't perfect. People in glass postings..............
You're welcome.

disbest

I completetly DISAGREE with you. The resort is fantastic and the only one newer is Animal Kingdom. :hammer:
I welcome your opinion. Keep in mind everyone has different reasons why they like one resort over another.

If you like a nice, quiet and “out of the way” places than yes you will like SSR.

I have a different perspective because I stayed at the other DVC resorts. Our favorite is BC with BWV a close second. I guess I am strange because I like the short 10 minute walk to Epcot. I also like the short walk to MGM as well. We also like the nightly entertainment the Boardwalk has to offer. Also, don’t forget the ESPN CLUB, Piano Bar and Dance Hall for the kids. This is all just a short walk from your room. The distance to these places is less than the walk from the Paddocks at SSR to the main swimming pool. They also have an excellent bakery on the Boardwalk as well that serves great coffee. We also enjoy watching the Epcot fire works from our balcony. Lets not forget the option of having access to the Monorail, although it is a little bit of a walk. The BC pool is one of our favorites among all the DVC pools. I like the sand beaches. We also enjoy renting boats at these resorts.

As far as contracts, I know that OKW members are given a opportunity to extend their contracts. I suspect the other resorts will eventually do the same.

When we purchased at SSR we were told it wouldn’t be difficult to book at other resorts within the 7 month window. They were correct in the beginning but now we haven’t had much success. I believe it won’t get any better as DVC continues to build more resorts.

As far as selling SSR, I feel there are far too many properties for sale at SSR which has hurt the resale value.

I am always hoping one day DVC would add something to SSR that would attract DVC owners from other resorts such as a horse race track keeping with the theme. Even little things like a theater instead of a DVC show room and an ice cream pallor.

All well I guess I’m different. But aren’t we all…

slappy magoo

Unless someone is looking for a place to stay with their niece...or preferably, someone else's fully-grown, not-a-blood-relative-niece.

Dude, when you make a comment about another poster's spelling or grammatical errors, you must make sure your post is completely error-free. It's the First Rule of Internet Smug.

And like it or not, disbest made some valid points. There were plans for SSR a few years ago that possibly/probably won't come to fruition, like making the movie theater an actual working movie theater. I like SSR just fine, but for whatever reason (my suspicions are in my previous post), a lot of guests just don't warm up to it. They currently don't have as much resale value as BWV, BCV or WLV, b ut that's not even necessarily because of any perception of quality. Because of SSR's immense size, and it being newer than those other resorts, which means more people are recognizing it wasn't a smart purchase for themselves, personally, there are often more resales of SSR to be had, which also lowers the resale value. I would suggest that, proportionately speaking to their size, there were as many resales of those other resorts when they were as old (or as new) as SSR is now.

KevGuy

Like I said before try and post on topic not just some silly spam criticism comments....Also like I said pretty funny to hear people down the resort that they own at to others. Is that an oxymoron?:lol: SSR is one of the best resorts and most available in my opinion and spread out enough that it can offer something for everyone not to mention being the best buy as well in terms of discounts when buying from Disney directly. People who complain about the resturants there apparently have never looked at a map and seen how close they are to DTD and the several fantastic resturants there as well as shopping establishments. Never mind the access to transportation there as well to all Disney parks and other resorts. Why would Disney make another resturant at the resort when some of the best are within a stones throw of the place literally? In addition the pool at SSR is one of the best too imo. For my money it was the best place to buy at and an awesome place to stay at, and continues to be so, contrary to others opinions. :p

I really don't care about "Internet Smug" either, but when I see someone down my resort, especially an owner there I will respond regardless. Point being, if you don't like it there sell and buy somewhere else, no need to down it because you made a mistake and like to stay elsewhere. And now with more members and developer points making it hard to stay at the smaller, older DVC resorts at the 7 month mark, your an unhappy camper. Perhaps it should have been thought of before buying there in the first place. :shrug: The rule of thumb in purchasing an interest at DVC is to buy where you want to stay at, not buy at a place your possibly gonna be unhappy with and hope for the best at the 7 month mark. :hurl:

slappy magoo

uh...Kev? This word you keep using? "Spam?" I do not think it means what you think it means.

Someone can post a negative comment, or a less than positive comment, and that doesn't necessarily make it spam.

Funny thing is, the person you're accusing of spamming wasn't all that negative. Just not wildly enthusiastic. SSR's not disbest's favorite resort. T.S. Life goes one, more room for you.

As far as all those great DTD restaurants being "just a stone's throw away from SSR, yeah, they're close, but your arm might hurl stones further than mine does. There are places in SSR where DTD could be a good 20 minute walk or more. When you've had a long day touring, and it's hot and humid, & everyone's a little cranky, you might want some more dining options at your resort, so your meal can be a little more leisurely and you're not rushed out. My wife and I walked a few times from our room to DTD and did the ferry a few times too. Showered beforehand, put on nicer clothes for a nice dinner and then a night at PI. Even with the sun going down or at night, you're as sticky and sweaty as you would be after a day in the parks, your nicer clothes look awful, you're just flat-out uncomfortable. But your only other option is to drive your car over to the DTD lot, and hope to find a space, when one of the reasons you're staying at SSR in the first place in the proximity to all those great restaurants and nightspots.

I don't regret buying SSR for an instant, and am sure I'll be there more often than anywhere else, but I'm also intending to experience all of the other DVC resorts, too, whenever I can.

You're being a little touchy on the subject. Take some deep breaths, maybe some soothing nighttime tea...

The original poster asked why there always seems to be room at SSR when other resorts seem to be fill up faster. Disbest answered based on a little thing we like to call "disbest's opinion." I'm glad you're such a SSR booster, but someone can be less than wildly enthusiastic about SSR without being considered a spammer.

OKW1993

Ssr?

Folks, There is NOTHING wrong with any for the Vacation Club Resorts. Each resort is unique in their own way. Take OKW, SSR, they are considered DTD resorts, WL is and MK resort, BCV is Epcot, BWV is a Boardwalk Resort. AKL is AK park resort. Even HHR and VB, well HHR anyway, VB is boring, unless you like laying on the beach all day.

As you know they are themed with a particular time/place. BCV, and BWV are real convenient to 2 parks, Boardwalk, hence more popular.

Right Now Disney is only selling in AKV, and SSR. However you still can buy into DVC buy purchasing DVC through, Timeshare resales. You know all that.

From my name you know where I like to stay. I think it's the nicest, quiet, and from an all day pixie dust fair, it's kind of nice to go home and relax, without being Disneysized.

When we come when our grand daughter goes, we try to stay at BCV, for the fact it's convenient.

I'm sure everyone has a favorite resort. NONE of them are bad.

disbest

From my name you know where I like to stay. I think it's the nicest, quiet, and from an all day pixie dust fair, it's kind of nice to go home and relax, without being Disneysized.

We stayed at OKW and enjoyed it. We had a 1 bedroom that was very large with a view of the green on the golf course. I like Olivia’s. I love their breakfast. Lunch and dinner is also good. I like the island theme. We also love being able to rent boats and travel thru the canals to DTD. When we took the ferry, the captain said that they were considering making the tree top villas into a DVC resort but Disney has been running into issues with the EPA. You are right it is quiet and relaxing. I really feel like I am staying on an island. We enjoyed it so much that we spent much time at the resort.

Not to go off the topic but I understand OKW owners can extend their contract 15 years to 2057.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom