Sse?

Nemo14

In the past month or so, I've seen this General Grizz member and "incident" referred to quite a few times. I was neither a member nor a lurker in 2005 when this happened, but after some research, I pinned the culmination of the incident as this thread: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=55894

After reading it, I think I've gathered a general impression of that individual's posts. (This is all off the topic of this thread, but it goes towards the general attitude that things were better in the past on these boards...which oddly fits the theme of that thread concerning the Disney company in general).

I think it's important that people be courteous to one another while posting on a forum. However, when mutual courteous ceases, I don't believe one party has some inherent obligation to uphold courteousness. Then other members come along, see the second person (who was 'harmed' in the first place) and without knowing the first poster's past history, defend that individual despite lacking knowledge of the scope of the situation.

That is what has happened here. Several good members who have posted 'unkind' things here have previously attempted to help the other poster ease into posting here. The other poster ignored this advice, and subsequently has received less than cordial responses.

Personally, I don't like this whole mentality of cutting someone slack simply because they are new to a forum. If you're new, lurk for a bit, gain an understanding of the culture on the board, then post. If I go to England, drive on the wrong side of the road, and hit another car and injure or kill another individual, am I going to be cut slack because I didn't know the rules of the road? Certainly not, and while that's an extreme example, I think people should understand what they're doing, before they do it.

Since I strayed from my off-hand rant with that paragraph, I'll stray a little more with this one. Debate isn't always friendly; while it should be, and we should try to be respectful for one another as much as possible, sometimes people conflate another's refutation of their opinion as an insult on them as a person. There is not always a clear line with this type of conversation, and sometimes we need to slow down and blow some steam off another way, before we respond to a post here that we find offensive or so wrong, it's stupid/insulting/offensive. But, insults invariably happen. I have insulted others here, and for that I apologize; others have insulted me, and for that, I forgive. I think understanding the heated nature of debate helps understand why things aren't always completely friendly (debate about anything, don't use the excuse that this shouldn't be heated debate since it's "only" Disney. People have strong opinions about every conceivable subject), and helps us realize we might want to shrug off unpleasantness and move on.

I don't know if there was a cohesive point to all this rambling, but if there was one, it's this: WDWMagic is still a great place to be--what some people consider as a sign that the forums are deteriorating is just a sign to me that debate is taking place.
Well said!!!!!

Vernonpush

In the past month or so, I've seen this General Grizz member and "incident" referred to quite a few times. I was neither a member nor a lurker in 2005 when this happened, but after some research, I pinned the culmination of the incident as this thread: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=55894

After reading it, I think I've gathered a general impression of that individual's posts. (This is all off the topic of this thread, but it goes towards the general attitude that things were better in the past on these boards...which oddly fits the theme of that thread concerning the Disney company in general).

I think it's important that people be courteous to one another while posting on a forum. However, when mutual courteous ceases, I don't believe one party has some inherent obligation to uphold courteousness. Then other members come along, see the second person (who was 'harmed' in the first place) and without knowing the first poster's past history, defend that individual despite lacking knowledge of the scope of the situation.

That is what has happened here. Several good members who have posted 'unkind' things here have previously attempted to help the other poster ease into posting here. The other poster ignored this advice, and subsequently has received less than cordial responses.

Personally, I don't like this whole mentality of cutting someone slack simply because they are new to a forum. If you're new, lurk for a bit, gain an understanding of the culture on the board, then post. If I go to England, drive on the wrong side of the road, and hit another car and injure or kill another individual, am I going to be cut slack because I didn't know the rules of the road? Certainly not, and while that's an extreme example, I think people should understand what they're doing, before they do it.

Since I strayed from my off-hand rant with that paragraph, I'll stray a little more with this one. Debate isn't always friendly; while it should be, and we should try to be respectful for one another as much as possible, sometimes people conflate another's refutation of their opinion as an insult on them as a person. There is not always a clear line with this type of conversation, and sometimes we need to slow down and blow some steam off another way, before we respond to a post here that we find offensive or so wrong, it's stupid/insulting/offensive. But, insults invariably happen. I have insulted others here, and for that I apologize; others have insulted me, and for that, I forgive. I think understanding the heated nature of debate helps understand why things aren't always completely friendly (debate about anything, don't use the excuse that this shouldn't be heated debate since it's "only" Disney. People have strong opinions about every conceivable subject), and helps us realize we might want to shrug off unpleasantness and move on.

I don't know if there was a cohesive point to all this rambling, but if there was one, it's this: WDWMagic is still a great place to be--what some people consider as a sign that the forums are deteriorating is just a sign to me that debate is taking place.
Nicely spoken!:sohappy: :sohappy:
(Have you ever considered running for a Public Office? You should!)

WDWFigment

Nicely spoken!:sohappy: :sohappy:
(Have you ever considered running for a Public Office? You should!)

Ha, thanks; although I think my knack for sometimes saying whatever I feel like would quickly lead to my demise. (I'm the type of person who would tell Michael Moore he should lose weight if he wants to solve America's health care woes).

jt04

Ha, thanks; although I think my knack for sometimes saying whatever I feel like would quickly lead to my demise. (I'm the type of person who would tell Michael Moore he should lose weight if he wants to solve America's health care woes).

Michael who?:rolleyes: :animwink: :cool:

I have been reading these boards for years. I used to post but I was "eliminated" because I did not understand the "culture" here. It seems to me this forum is for people to express opinions in an irreverant way. It is also a great place for people who just need information. If you are going to push your opinion on these boards do not be suprised if there is a strong response from someone who has a different opinion. THAT IS WHAT MAKES THIS FORUM SO GREAT!:D :sohappy:

Nemo14

Michael who?:rolleyes: :animwink: :cool:

I have been reading these boards for years. I used to post but I was "eliminated" because I did not understand the "culture" here. It seems to me this forum is for people to express opinions in an irreverant way. It is also a great place for people who just need information. If you are going to push your opinion on these boards do not be suprised if there is a strong response from someone who has a different opinion. THAT IS WHAT MAKES THIS FORUM SO GREAT!:D :sohappy:

:shrug:

Nemo14

Sorry, irreverent. Spelling was never my fortay:lookaroun
It wasn't the spelling - I'm just not sure about what you meant. I think we tend to be pretty respectful for the most part, wacky at times of course, but I wouldn't consider us to be irreverent.

jt04

It wasn't the spelling - I'm just not sure about what you meant. I think we tend to be pretty respectful for the most part, wacky at times of course, but I wouldn't consider us to be irreverent.

"Epcot Amputation 7/30" posted today. Just a quick example. Irreverent does not mean disrespectful but, unfortunately, many people take it that way. I think what you call wacky I call irreverent. Thats all:)

WDWFigment

I don't think he meant to use a negative connotation of 'irreverent'. Irreverent can mean "characterized by a lightly pert and exuberant quality" (dictionary.com), after all.

Nemo14

"Epcot Amputation 7/30" posted today. Just a quick example. Irreverent does not mean disrespectful but, unfortunately, many people take it that way. I think what you call wacky I call irreverent. Thats all:)
From Webster's:

irreverent
One entry found for irreverent.

Main Entry: ir·rev·er·ent
Pronunciation: -r&nt; -v&rnt
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English, from Latin irreverent-, irreverens, from in- + reverent-, reverens reverent

: lacking proper respect or seriousness; also : SATIRIC
- ir·rev·er·ent·ly adverb

Sorry if I misunderstood. I think we're on the same page, just a matter of semantics.

jt04

From Webster's:

irreverent
One entry found for irreverent.

Main Entry: ir·rev·er·ent
Pronunciation: -r&nt; -v&rnt
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English, from Latin irreverent-, irreverens, from in- + reverent-, reverens reverent

: lacking proper respect or seriousness; also : SATIRIC
- ir·rev·er·ent·ly adverb

Sorry if I misunderstood. I think we're on the same page, just a matter of semantics.

That is real wacky!:lol:

GoofyFan1

That's very nice legal talk, and I'm just a dumb old teacher, but none of you answered the op's question. As I read it, he/she did not ask about a wand update, he/she asked about an SSE update. Not everyone on the board is caught up in the daily blabbing about the wand. I too wonder what is happening inside, without giving a care about the disassembling of the wand.

Also, I thought these boards were open to everyone, not just those of us that don't need parental guidance or forgot how to go outside.

MrBug

Nobody cares about OP's question - the "question" in question appears to have changed a good bit since originally posted, which kinda throws off the whole thread anyway...

Pardon the interruption, do carry on...

WDWFigment

That's very nice legal talk, and I'm just a dumb old teacher, but none of you answered the op's question. As I read it, he/she did not ask about a wand update, he/she asked about an SSE update. Not everyone on the board is caught up in the daily blabbing about the wand. I too wonder what is happening inside, without giving a care about the disassembling of the wand.

Also, I thought these boards were open to everyone, not just those of us that don't need parental guidance or forgot how to go outside.

Although my post politely inferred it, I will put it a little more blunt this time. The thread creator has posed a question with the same intent for the last several straight days. On Saturday, he/she became hostile towards several forum members when they stated that it's impolite to expect locals to drop what they're doing to go take pictures of the wand simply because you can't stand waiting.

Those posts, along with that thread were deleted. You probably didn't know this, so you passed judgment on those who responded to the other poster somewhat snidely. Moreover, while the thread title says, "Sse," in the topic creator's post, he/she asks (as I understand it) about Mickey's arm. Unless they are adding Mickey's arm to the inside of SSE, I hardly think that is straying from the topic of the wand.

GoofyFan1

Although my post politely inferred it, I will put it a little more blunt this time. The thread creator has posed a question with the same intent for the last several straight days. On Saturday, he/she became hostile towards several forum members when they stated that it's impolite to expect locals to drop what they're doing to go take pictures of the wand simply because you can't stand waiting.

Those posts, along with that thread were deleted. You probably didn't know this, so you passed judgment on those who responded to the other poster somewhat snidely. Moreover, while the thread title says, "Sse," in the topic creator's post, he/she asks (as I understand it) about Mickey's arm. Unless they are adding Mickey's arm to the inside of SSE, I hardly think that is straying from the topic of the wand.

The original poster stated "Just wondering, does anyone know how SSE is coming along, I heard that Mickey's hand wont be down till sept, any rumors coming about?". I searched for his/her former posts and found that the wand question was posed before, which led to another "discussion" on one per day or all in one thread. As far as Saturday, I didn't see that thread, as I tend to avoid the Wand threads and I was outside. I'll assume that was when he demanded pictures, otherwise I've seen the same request from other long-time posters for pictures. For some, locals are the only link to the WDW action. I also noted that some of the newbies try to fit in by getting caught up in the members fervor for a topic, and let's be fair...the wand has been hot.

I guess it comes down to different interpretations of the op's question. I was interested in what was happening inside the attraction and I thought I was going to get some information on that topic. That was my only reason to opening the thread.

Maybe I've been working on my patience a little too much since my return from the parks 3 weeks ago and putting up with the "tour groups". If, as you say, the poster has been hostile, by all means put him in his place. I won't interfere anymore.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom