SSE WASTED SPACE

graphite1326

Original Poster
I always felt that the descent on SSE was wasted space. When you reach the highest point on the ride it seems a though it abruptly ends and start going down. Yes the earth is there and the "stars" but I always thought there should be something more. Maybe something about the future. Any thoughts?

HMF

I always felt that the descent on SSE was wasted space. When you reach the highest point on the ride it seems a though it abruptly ends and start going down. Yes the earth is there and the "stars" but I always thought there should be something more. Maybe something about the future. Any thoughts?
Yes, the descent has been a mess since 2007.It used to be one of the most contemplative and uplifting spaces in all of WDW. If you never saw it here is what it used to be like.

Chef Mickey

I always wonder what's at the top where earth is projected. There is like a whole area or stuff but you can't see it because it's blacked. I know there is an elevator, but I'd love a clear picture.

blueboxdoctor

Agreed, it definitely was better, then they changed it to the touch screen thing, which really isn't overly exciting. Definitely a disappointing change, but it's not as bad as what they have done to some of the other parts of Future World.

po1998

Just because there is a touch screen to play with for 15 seconds, doesn't mean the descent has to be a disaster. I'm not saying the scenes have to come back, but the stupid triangles and black curtains just reek of cheaping out. Did they really believe that everyone would just look at the screen for the entire descent, and not ever look up and see the mess they made of the descent?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
You mean like a few satellites, an astronaut, a whole space station?

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
How does SSE work? The vehicles and track?

It seems to me that a rather obvious solution would be to make the descent not unlike a quick little rollercoaster ride to the bottom similar to a junior coaster helix or a bit faster than TTA Peoplemover even if the descent was a slightly faster fixed speed rather than gravity-based.

It's probably unlikely based on the current fixed means of transport (and lack of seatbelts or lapbar) Still, I think that could make the descent more impactful and "thrilling" for lack of a better word. Im not talking super speeds here just a relaxing descent of 15-20mph. Thst would atleast be more fun than watching video screens IMO. If we're going to sit thru darkness and a lack of theming; a quick trip to the end of the ride would be preferable.

Last edited:

aladdin2007

Just because there is a touch screen to play with for 15 seconds, doesn't mean the descent has to be a disaster. I'm not saying the scenes have to come back, but the stupid triangles and black curtains just reek of cheaping out. Did they really believe that everyone would just look at the screen for the entire descent, and not ever look up and see the mess they made of the descent?

Dont forget the dust and grime,,,,, and the trash laying around overhead. The star lights that were in some of the curtains dont even work anymore. I guess were stuck with it as is for a long time yet.

KraftServices

It seems to me that a rather obvious solution would be to make the descent not unlike a quick little rollercoaster ride to the bottom similar to junior coaster helix and slightly faster than that of TTA Peoplemover even if the descent was a slightly faster fixed speed rather than gravity-based.

It's probably unlikely based on the current means of transport (and lack of seatbelts or lapbar) Still, I think that could make the descent more impactful and "thrilling" for lack of a better word. Im not talking super speeds here just a relaxing descent of 15-20mph. Thst would atleast be more fun than watching video screens IMO. If we're going to sit thru darkness and a lack of theming; a quick trip to the end of the ride would be preferable.

I'm pretty sure all the vehicles are connected, so one part of the ride going way fast would mean the entire ride has to match that speed.

I've been on SSE more than once where the ride has stopped during the descent, so the whole video will play while you're stopped, and then you spend the next few minutes in darkness with nothing to look at. So I wish they'd put SOMETHING else in the descent for when that happens. It doesn't have to be fancy, just something besides the lights and curtains.

Polydweller

It seems to me that a rather obvious solution would be to make the descent not unlike a quick little rollercoaster ride to the bottom similar to a junior coaster helix or a bit faster than TTA Peoplemover even if the descent was a slightly faster fixed speed rather than gravity-based.

It's probably unlikely based on the current fixed means of transport (and lack of seatbelts or lapbar) Still, I think that could make the descent more impactful and "thrilling" for lack of a better word. Im not talking super speeds here just a relaxing descent of 15-20mph. Thst would atleast be more fun than watching video screens IMO. If we're going to sit thru darkness and a lack of theming; a quick trip to the end of the ride would be preferable.
It's an omnimover ride just like Haunted Mansion, Little Mermaid, Buzz Lightyear etc. In other words it's a continuous chain of connected ride vehicles so they all have to move at the same speed.

As well, the backward down section actually has a very tight spiral turn as it goes under a between the main dioramas of the ride. Couldn't make that turn at any speed if you tried a free fall ride. That's also why they haven't much in the way of displays, really never have had there. It's very tight space on the downward track.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
As well, the backward down section actually has a very tight spiral turn as it goes under a between the main dioramas of the ride. Couldn't make that turn at any speed if you tried a free fall ride. That's also why they haven't much in the way of displays, really never have had there. It's very tight space on the downward track.
There's more room that you think, as seen in the Irons version.

Even pre 94 there was a purpose built space in the tightest section (the leg) for an infinity cove.

Surfin' Tuna

I've never understood the need to "update" the ride from the Irons version. Thanks to Martin I watched it again last night, and it did two things for me. One, it showed my wife why I always gripe about the new disjointed story, and two it showed me that the story didn't really need that much of an update. I felt the previous end gave more of an optimistic few of our new connected spaceship earth than the new "end, or should I say the beginning." It's bad enough we have to roll through the missing space station, but the entire downward run just seems to ruin the ride even for newbies.

I'd love to know more about the "infinity cove" at some point, unless that's too much nerding out for some of the people on this thread.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I'd love to know more about the "infinity cove" at some point, unless that's too much nerding out for some of the people on this thread.
(Shameless plug) in my '86 video you can see in the final part of the descent both walls are lined with moving lines of dots. The left wall was a mirror, the right (as you looked at it) a matrix of lights behind glass with mirrors behind them. When looked at the lights seemed to have multiple identical lights behind them, creating and infinity effect.

The same space can be seen in the 1994 version; the model of SSE on the right hand sat in what was this show effect space. It wasn't huge, maybe 3-4 ft across but was enough.

Surfin' Tuna

Martin, you deserve all the plugs anyone gives you...even when you are promoting yourself. They do serve wonderful nostalgic purposes, they do serve as a reminder of what can be, but they are also in a way depressing. Sometimes I think my memories just build these rides up and make them seem greater than they were, so I accept the rides that are. Then I see one of your videos and realize how great they were.

Nonetheless, the space is wasted and Martin makes the best videos.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom