SSE Reviews

Silvermist

I know this topic has been beat to death the last few days but I just watched the LaughingPlace video and was reminded once again of why I love this attraction. Even in the video, the scenes looked great and the enhancements to the AA's are impressive.

From the video, it did seem at times like they were moving through very quickly with not a lot of time to fully soak in all there was to appreciate in each scene. I'm sure the vehicle was moving at the same speed it always has. It's just an observation I made while watching.

From what I could hear, the music is ok. It's seems like just background music. It's not bad at all, it's just not particularly moving or inspiring and unlike previous versions of the attraction, it doesn't really go anywhere at the conclusion. It just continues as background music. I guess because the focus is on the new touchscreens now.

I couldn't hear it all from the video, but from what I could hear, I would rate Ms. Dench's voice as only ok. I would have preferred a voice with a deeper, richer quality to it and a few of the lines I caught from the script are a little too quaint to fit with an experience of this scope imo.

The descent definitely is lacking the same mood/feel as the rest of the attraction. You have this big, dramatic experience and then they just lose it at the end. It's always been the weak link in the attraction and I understand the relatively small space in the descent tunnel is limiting, but I hoped they would finally come up with something that brings a satisfying conclusion to the experience. The video currently on the touchscreens does not fit at all.

Just a suggestion I read in an earlier post, but I also think the touchscreens should be utilized in the ascent instead of the overhead monitors for the messages presented there.

I couldn't see the load/unload area but it was showing it's age badly and was very tacky looking the last time I rode. I was wondering if they have (or plan to do) any freshening up in there. The only other thing I had hoped for was a much needed fix for the ride being so noisy, bumpy and jerky.

After all I've read, I really wish I could see and experience it for myself instead of just on video. Things have gotten very heated in discussing what they've done or not done so far but I know it's only out of love and the heartfelt desire to see this amazing attraction given the treatment it deserves.

DisneyWales

Well we managed to get onto the "preview" today, and all i have to say is WOW.

And not a WOW that was great, but a WOW that was meaningless.

While SSE has never been a favorite of mine, i have ridden it every-time as it was an attraction that reminded me and stood out as a reason Disney do things better than anyone else, and because its theme and story was in my eyes the foundation of the park.

Now however all i feel is that Siemans are a great company who are bringing us the internet.

Dont get me wrong, like everyone else I think the assent its stunning and the new touches go a long way, however the Star Trek scene with Ohura (sp) winds me up a little, and the touch screen decent thing, well nice and fun, put pointless.

SSE used to be poignant, with out being forceful, and educating without being belittling. However now its just empty, its doesn't make you think, you learn nothing , and you come away with a feeling of, oh yeah Technology is great, they do invent some great stuff, how well whats next.

Judi Dench is fine as a narrator, its just that script its a flat and dull as they come.

But hey, its better than its going the way of the dodo right:lookaroun

Katya

I couldn't see the load/unload area but it was showing it's age badly and was very tacky looking the last time I rode. I was wondering if they have (or plan to do) any freshening up in there. The only other thing I had hoped for was a much needed fix for the ride being so noisy, bumpy and jerky.

Load and Unload were indeed spruced up a bit. I know it's probably not something that most people would recognize, but after spending a couple of hours sitting around in it you can tell. The turntables themselves are not new or different, but that would be pretty impossible to have changed, but we got brand new consoles too, making the area less crowded for us.

epcotpalms

Original Poster
Disney Responded!

So I wrote an email to guests communication about the horrible descent on Spaceship Earth and this is what I received. At least they responded which makes me happy.

I blocked out her phone number and last name so the nice cast member doesn't get phone calls from all 500,000 mad fans.

Email:

Thank you for contacting the Walt Disney World® Resort.

When we receive comments from Guests, such as yours, they are shared
with various areas of our organization. This allows us to identify what
we are doing right, and what we can do better. You may be assured that
your observations have been shared and taken seriously.

If you should wish to discuss your comments further, or provide us with
additional details, you may call me at 407-560-****. If I am not
immediately available when you call, please leave your telephone number
and an indication of the best time to reach you.

Mr. Desmarais, thank you again for taking the time to share your honest
and constructive feedback. We hope to have future opportunities to
entertain you at our Resort.

Sincerely,

Ana
Executive Offices
Walt Disney World® Resort

Enigma

Account Suspended
So I wrote an email to guests communication about the horrible descent on Spaceship Earth and this is what I received. At least they responded which makes me happy.

I blocked out her phone number and last name so the nice cast member doesn't get phone calls from all 500,000 mad fans.

Email:

Thank you for contacting the Walt Disney World® Resort.

When we receive comments from Guests, such as yours, they are shared
with various areas of our organization. This allows us to identify what
we are doing right, and what we can do better. You may be assured that
your observations have been shared and taken seriously.

If you should wish to discuss your comments further, or provide us with
additional details, you may call me at 407-560-****. If I am not
immediately available when you call, please leave your telephone number
and an indication of the best time to reach you.

Mr. Desmarais, thank you again for taking the time to share your honest
and constructive feedback. We hope to have future opportunities to
entertain you at our Resort.

Sincerely,

Ana
Executive Offices
Walt Disney World® Resort

I appricate the fact that you actually took the time to let Disney know. Most people would rather waste there energy posting on forums. Interesting that it was personalized complete with a phone number to call. A few years ago I wrote to Disney on two seperate occasions and both times recieved the same automated response. Perhaps they have cleaned up their act in terms of guest relations? Only time will tell.

epcotpalms

Original Poster
If people are posting their comments on this forum they should also spend the same amount of time letting the very people who can change the problem receive the feedback!

I encourage everyone to let Disney know your thoughts about Spaceship Earth. I congratulated them on an awesome rehab until the descent. I then went into allot of detail about how I felt. We owe Disney the feedback and chance to correct this mistake.

EpcotServo

The Power City game, for those interested, is a game where you take two sticks and you move energy sources in the form of projected pucks to various communities on a projected map on the ground. It's actually a fun game and I encourage anyone to try it. (Wins over Super Driver and Body Builder by far as my favorite) and I'm glad they've finally opened it up. Now I only wonder what new route we're going to have to take to our break room. ;)

I was shopping around tonight and got to go on for a few minutes to play it, it was great, I agree! Alot of fun. We got around 6,900,000. Very fun.

SWEEEP!

SWEEEEEPPPP!

:lol:

vickyvale

Epcotpalms - glad you took the time to give constuctive feedback to Disney & I'm very impressed that you got a response with a call back number. Kudos to Disney for that as well.

Skippy_

Dont get me wrong, like everyone else I think the assent its stunning and the new touches go a long way, however the Star Trek scene with Ohura (sp) winds me up a little, and the touch screen decent thing, well nice and fun, put pointless.
I had to look up what you were talking about (haven't seen much of Star Trek at all) but HOLY COW, your absolutely right:

http://www.debbieohi.com/trek/pics/04uhura.jpg

That picture above is from a Star Trek episode, NOT SSE's computer room, but a Star Trek episode. I think a certain Imagineer is a fan of a certain character on the show :rolleyes:

Just threw a lab coat on her!

Skippy

echoscot

Well we managed to get onto the "preview" today, and all i have to say is WOW.

And not a WOW that was great, but a WOW that was meaningless.

While SSE has never been a favorite of mine, i have ridden it every-time as it was an attraction that reminded me and stood out as a reason Disney do things better than anyone else, and because its theme and story was in my eyes the foundation of the park.

Now however all i feel is that Siemans are a great company who are bringing us the internet.

SSE used to be poignant, with out being forceful, and educating without being belittling. However now its just empty, its doesn't make you think, you learn nothing , and you come away with a feeling of, oh yeah Technology is great, they do invent some great stuff, how well whats next.

Judi Dench is fine as a narrator, its just that script its a flat and dull as they come.

But hey, its better than its going the way of the dodo right:lookaroun

Hilarious about the Star Trek thing...you were close on sp...Uhura

Katya

I had to look up what you were talking about (haven't seen much of Star Trek at all) but HOLY COW, your absolutely right:

http://www.debbieohi.com/trek/pics/04uhura.jpg

That picture above is from a Star Trek episode, NOT SSE's computer room, but a Star Trek episode. I think a certain Imagineer is a fan of a certain character on the show :rolleyes:

Just threw a lab coat on her!

Skippy

Funny thing about her, she's the woman who used to be in the radio booth with the man! They just relocated her and changed her up a bit. :D

Skippy_

Did they remove the Egyptian on the scaffolding that was chiseling hieroglyphics on the wall? I really hope not, but I can't find any pics of him on the new version.

BTW, themagicinthepixels website has a TON of old and new high quality SSE pics for comparison!

Skippy

Figment82

Did they remove the Egyptian on the scaffolding that was chiseling hieroglyphics on the wall? I really hope not, but I can't find any pics of him on the new version.

BTW, themagicinthepixels website has a TON of old and new high quality SSE pics for comparison!

Skippy

Unfortunately yes, he has been removed.

Skippy_

Not much of a review as much as it's a compilation of changes to the classic scenes that I got from videos (actual riders should have much more)!

Posted this in another thread but hear you go anyway.

1) Cave men
*Leader moves wonderfully
*Cave drawings move
2) Egyptians
*Papyrus maker now has a cap
*Pharaoh and co have new costumes and caps (advisor's Leopard coat is gone but he finally has a cap to cover his bald head)
*Pharaoh now has a table in front of him with a scroll he references
*Egyptian on the scaffolding removed
3) Phoenicians
*Boats and characters move great
*Area adjacent to them with the matte painting of a boat is currently dark
4) Greeks
*Two actors are replaced with a philosopher (Socrates?) and three listeners
5) Rome
*Movements look better and predicting the projection will too
*Roman soldier now also have scroll in hand with a pile of junk at his feet
6) Islamics
*Down to three from four Arabs and they have new costumes and faces (one with a huge turban)
*Jewish guy that was standing has been removed
*All have great movement
7) Cathedral Abbey
*Writing Monk has realistic wrist action
8) Germans
*Gutenberg and co now have realistic movement
9) Italians
*The two Berries and Cream guys have been replaced with a grey eybrowed Sam Elliott from Ghost Rider
*The male musician is older and now has a mustache
*Both musician now have stands that they read their music off of
*They now have great movement
*Statue now politically correct
*Michelangelo now has realistic arm movement
10) The Age of Invention
*Newspapers now read Civil War Over (paper boy turned around and now shouts this)
*You can now hear what is being prepared for the Telegraph (new movement)
*Radio show actor has new costume, desk, and now has a hat (new movement)
*Radio station changed from WED to WDI
*Female radio actor is gone
*Sound recordist's desk has new props (the gong is gone)
*Lady in ticket booth now reads a news paper
*Movie montage (Snow White, 20,000 Leagues, Harold Lloyd) is now a theater showing undetermined film/s
*Television montage (Wonderful World of Color, Ozzie and Harriet, NFL Championship Game) has become a detailed living room with the little girl moved off a stool and onto a chair to her right and a new figure on the ground, all watching man's first steps on the moon
11) Computers
*Computer room replaces the picture talk and uses two new adult animatronics in place of the two kids
*Garage Scene replaces the same area with the invention of the personal computer and adds another animatronic
*Electronic babble neon lights replaced with matrix effect

Money well spent :sohappy:Add more as you find it!

Skippy

What I added is in blue :wave:

Also, can I get a confirmation on the third blue one down (of the one's I just added)?

Thank you!

Skippy

Figment82

New change - the telegraph scene has been changed to a nighttime setting (used to be daytime). The background painting has been changed accordingly.

Katya

New change - the telegraph scene has been changed to a nighttime setting (used to be daytime). The background painting has been changed accordingly.

Actually, as the clock used to read 10 something (can't quite remember, maybe 10 til something?) it now reads 4:22.

What I added is in blue :wave:

Also, can I get a confirmation on the third blue one down (of the one's I just added)?

Thank you!

Skippy

There was no standing Jewish guy, except for the one on the balcony, who is still there. There is one less person sitting around the table though.

Katya

Not much of a review as much as it's a compilation of changes to the classic scenes that I got from videos (actual riders should have much more)!

Posted this in another thread but hear you go anyway.

1) Cave men
*Leader moves wonderfully
*Cave drawings move?
(are all the cave dwellers there or are we missing one?)
2) Egyptians
*Papyrus maker now has a cap
*Pharaoh and co have new costumes and caps (advisor's Leopard coat is gone but he finally has a cap to cover his bald head)
3) Phoenicians
*Boats and characters move great
(hows the area adjacent to them with the matte painting of a boat?)
4) Greeks
*Two actors are replaced with a philosopher (Socrates?) and three listeners
5) Rome
*Movements look better and predicting the projection will too
6) Islamics
*Down to three from four Arabs and they have new costumes (one with a huge turban)
*Jewish guy is squatting instead of standing
*All have great movement
7) Cathedral Abbey
*Writing Monk has realistic wrist action
8) Germans
*Gutenberg and co now have realistic movement
9) Italians
*The two Berries and Cream guys have been replaced with a grey eybrowed Sam Elliott from Ghost Rider
*The male musician is older and now has a mustache
*Both musician now have stands that they read their music off of
*They now have great movement
*Statue now politically correct
*Michelangelo now has realistic arm movement
10) The Age of Invention
*Newspapers now read Civil War Over (paper boy now shouts this)
*You can now hear what is being prepared for the Telegraph (new movement)
*Radio show actor has new costume and now has a hat (new movement)
*Female radio actor is gone
*Movie montage (Snow White, 20,000 Leagues, Harold Lloyd) is now a theater showing undetermined film/s
*Television montage (Wonderful World of Color, Ozzie and Harriet, NFL Championship Game) has become a detailed living room with the little girl moved off a stool and onto a chair to her right and a new figure on the ground, all watching man's first steps on the moon
11) Computers
*Computer room replaces the picture talk and uses two new adult animatronics in place of the two kids
*Garage Scene replaces the same area with the invention of the personal computer and adds another animatronic
*Electronic babble neon lights replaced with matrix effect

Money well spent :sohappy:Add more as you find it!

Skippy

These are the additional changes to what you already have as I have seen them:

1a. The caveman/mammoth slides are now a video, taking up the entire screen of cavemen hunting a mammoth
2. The Pharaoh has more movement, indeed, but I think I remember the table always being there, just not noticed.
3. The area to the right on Phoneticians has had the small boat that was lite up removed (getting rid of the silly huge shadow it made on the wall)
4. The greek scene is now a Greek classroom scene, it's supposed to be an astronomy class, there are now 3 students listening and the old AA of the man in the arch ways is still there.
5. Projection looks great in Rome, there's more at the feet of the soldier and if I'm not mistaken, the horses got pushed a little more to the left, but I need to ride it again to really see.
6. The decor and costumes of the Jewish/Islamic empire is all very new, but other than the subtraction of one man sitting around the table and the hookah that was in the background, nothing else has changed.
7. The sleeping monk's snoring has been increased again (as it had been turned down previously) and the area behind them has been significantly pushed back and added to, it's not just a solid wall anymore.
8. The Gutenberg press scene has had piles of the first Bible added throughout on the floor.
9. Renaissance has had two new AAs, they are now two older men more engaged with each other than the two younger ones were. The musicians have had changes made to them.
9a. The Renaissance workshop has had many other additions, there are a lot of subtle prop additions, including a candle right next to the hidden mickey (which is still there)
9b. (These three you don't have distinguished, but are technically 3 different show scenes, as well as the next ones, so I'll continue on from now distinguishing them as I had to learn them) The scaffolding has been opened up, it no longer blocks the view of the AA and you can now see that there's paint on his face (without climbing up the scaffolding to see it ;) )
10. The steam press AA is now holding and reading the paper, which says "WAR IS OVER!" The paper boy is currently facing backwards, likely to be changed.
11. Telegraph office has had the clock hanged to say 4:22, also has more, new props.
12. Telephone has not changed.
13. Radio now has a different man in the booth, without the woman, and there's been other changes to the set there in general. Female radio star is now in the computer room.
14. Cinema has the girl in the booth reading the paper, the screen now shows clips from the Olympics, I don;t remember what year, but it's on a sign a little off to the left of the screen, there's a fake crowd sitting in front.
14. Television has been totally reworked with an actual living room built. There's a Moustrap game sitting behind the couch, the boy is holding a rocket (who is the AA from the old scene where the boy and Japanese girl are talking across the video screens) and the moon walk is being watched on the TV.
From here on out everything has been changed.
15. The computer room spans both sides, replacing the section mostly where the boy and girl were previously,
16. The garage scene first has an outside portion, where there is a REAL Dodge Charger (I don't know the year, but its akin to that of when the scene is set) and inside is the computer building scene, there are props and staging on both sides of the vehicle.

I hope someone has enjoyed all that. :D

Katya

Nice attention to detail...

Maybe a reference to SSE version 4.0

The random things we know because people actually ask us. Also, I'm just generally good at the detail, but it helps when you learn things by walking the track and not just riding by. More time to study it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom