Spur of the moment trip. Advice needed.

JoJo'sLion

My husband just found out that he can attend a conference that is being held in Disney. We will be going April 22 - April 25. The resort will be paid for by his office. The only thing we would have to pay for is tickets into Disney if we wanted to go to the parks. The problem is, we can't afford tickets for all four of us to go into the parks because of the short notice, so do you guys have any tips or advice on things to do outside of the parks? I have kids ages 4 and 6.

Thanks so much!

Philo

Which resort will you be staying at?

I don't really know much about activities outside DW except for other themeparks. There are a few things to do round the I-drive area but everything will cost.

You could entertain yourself by the pool or on the beach of your resort for some time. Downtown Disney will provide some entertainment too (DQ might not be so good for young girls though).

If you can afford to visit one of the parks for a day then it will be money well spent. I'm sure your girls (and you!) would love MK. I think some of the other parks (sea world, universal) are cheaper but DW is a much better option.

Upvote 0

Nemo14

My husband just found out that he can attend a conference that is being held in Disney. We will be going April 22 - April 25. The resort will be paid for by his office. The only thing we would have to pay for is tickets into Disney if we wanted to go to the parks. The problem is, we can't afford tickets for all four of us to go into the parks because of the short notice, so do you guys have any tips or advice on things to do outside of the parks? I have kids ages 4 and 6.

Thanks so much!
You could go resort hopping - or spend some time at Fort Wilderness. They have animals you can pet, or carriage rides, and a free movie/campfire at night.

Upvote 0

Bug715

I'm pretty sure that on property have activities for kids listed in the stuff you get when you check in. I participated in those things at vero beach and had tons of fun. I just never had time at WDW because we were always in the parks. Checking out the other hotels and pools is a fun plan. Also there are 2 mini golf courses on property and should be some in the orlando area that may cost less.

Upvote 0

DisneyBoiler

A few ideas for much cheaper than theme park admission...

- Go to the Beach Club and swim (It's the best pool on property IMO)

- Check out the Boardwalk where there are shops, restaurants, and midway games

- Go to DTD for more shopping and food.

- Rent a boat and go out on bay lake. I love the sail boats and paddle boats.

- Go mini golfing at one of the two courses.

If you want to venture off disney property you could go to Old Town or Universal CityWalk.

Upvote 0

Nemo14

A few ideas for much cheaper than theme park admission...

- Go to the Beach Club and swim (It's the best pool on property IMO)

- Check out the Boardwalk where there are shops, restaurants, and midway games

- Go to DTD for more shopping and food.

- Rent a boat and go out on bay lake. I love the sail boats and paddle boats.

- Go mini golfing at one of the two courses.

If you want to venture off disney property you could go to Old Town or Universal CityWalk.
You must be a guest at Y&B to use the pool. They check ID's and issue a wristband. Pool hopping isn't allowed.

Upvote 0

Nemo14

is this a new policy?

if not, then I have unknowingly been breaking the rules...
It's been the policy for several years. I remember when the policy was that if you were staying on Disney property you could pool hop to any other disney resort (we did this several times in fact), but that is no longer allowed.

Upvote 0

JoJo'sLion

Original Poster
Thank you all so much! These are wonderful ideas. We are staying at the Caribbean. These are great, because I will be doing a lot of things on my own with the girls since the hubby will be on business. I am just so sick that we can't go to the parks, but I am sure will will have fun doing all of these wonderful things.

Thanks

Upvote 0

Nemo14

Thank you all so much! These are wonderful ideas. We are staying at the Caribbean. These are great, because I will be doing a lot of things on my own with the girls since the hubby will be on business. I am just so sick that we can't go to the parks, but I am sure will will have fun doing all of these wonderful things.

Thanks
They have the Princess boutique in Downtown Disney. Your girls might like that too.

Here's a link for more info:
http://allearsnet.com/btp/bibbidi.htm

Upvote 0

jasondiff

Universal has a 7-day ticket for $86, which makes it cheaper than 2 days at Disney.

Usually conferences at Disney have specially-priced tickets available to conference attendees. Not sure how much of a discount they are, but something is better than nothing.

Also the Caribbean Beach has it's own lake and I think you can rent watercraft there too.

Upvote 0

cloudboy

Will you have a car? If so, I might suggest taking a trip to Orlando proper - they have a good science museum up there. You can also check out Winter Park, which is a pretty nice town with a lot of shops and places to stroll around.

Upvote 0

Bug715

About pool hopping. I believe that the Y&B club it isn't allowed but you should be able to do others. The main rule is that during peak times, such as the summer, it isn't allowed at all. I don't know how they enforce this. I've never had to have a wrist band at Saratoga or Boardwalk. It should be in your check in packet if it isn't allowed at this time of the year.

Upvote 0

jasondiff

About pool hopping. I believe that the Y&B club it isn't allowed but you should be able to do others. The main rule is that during peak times, such as the summer, it isn't allowed at all. I don't know how they enforce this. I've never had to have a wrist band at Saratoga or Boardwalk. It should be in your check in packet if it isn't allowed at this time of the year.

Officially, pool hopping is only permitted if you are a DVC member, and even then there are date restrictions and it is never allowed at Y&BC or AKL.

They only typically do wristbands at Y&BC but nothing prevents them from doing it at other pools if things get too crowded and the resort's own guests complain.

Upvote 0

crazydaveh

We were staying at the Y&B Club last Summer. CM's were posted at every pool entrance checking resort ID's. I didn't see them turn anyone away, but it didn't look like anyone was trying to "get in."

Take the kids down to the pool at your resort. It's a fun place. It's so big you can spend a day exploring it alone! Go over to the Contemporary and watch Wishes from the balcony. Go to AKL and see the animals roaming around the resort! Get some ice cream at Beaches and Cream.

Just have fun.

Upvote 0

Miss Bell

Caribean Beach has a really cool pool, and the resort surrounds a "lake" with white sand beaches that are fun for walking on. There is quite a lot to do at that resort--it is really huge and very pretty.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom