SPOILERS: WandaVision Discussion / Reactions to Most Recent Episodes

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
I don’t think there can be any generalization about what “people” want. Some folks certainly prefer binge watching but a lot of folks don’t; and binge watching doesn’t fit in with the lifestyle of many - perhaps especially many Disney+ subscribers who are more likely to be families with kids.

And I think it’s pretty obvious that weekly releases are more conducive to speculation and discussion as it makes it easier for more people to be “caught up” at the same time.
Weekly releases are 'event' television!!

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

I don’t think there can be any generalization about what “people” want. Some folks certainly prefer binge watching but a lot of folks don’t; and binge watching doesn’t fit in with the lifestyle of many - perhaps especially many Disney+ subscribers who are more likely to be families with kids.

And I think it’s pretty obvious that weekly releases are more conducive to speculation and discussion as it makes it easier for more people to be “caught up” at the same time.
Several online reviews all say they same thing "i like it but I don't know what it is. i wish they released it all at once"

erasure fan1

Several online reviews all say they same thing "i like it but I don't know what it is. i wish they released it all at once"
That is why I said they needed to release more episodes to start. If the 3rd episode doesn't reveal where this is kind of going, for the most part, you risk losing the average TV watcher. I don't think you need to drop the whole show, just enough to sink your hook in. In the long run I'm not sure it matters to much though. It is Marvel and if the show is good in the end, the people who might leave will just binge it once it is all out.

My thought on the to binge, or not to binge debate is this. Personally I would rather they drop the whole show for me to watch at my own pace. But because we live in a very me first, non courteous society, I like the week to week approach. With one episode a week I have no problems watching it right away. I don't want to have to shut myself off from everything because everyone needs their "clicks" so too many use spoiler headlines to get people in. I can't normally watch a whole season at once. The end of the Mandalorian season 2 is a perfect example. After that last episode it was spoiler central headlines EVERYWHERE.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Original Poster
Yes, you *can* binge the entirety of WandaVision.

Wait 8 weeks and watch all the episodes at once. You can even save money that way by only paying for one month of D+.

That reminds me, I need to sub to CBS Access for a month and catch up on the last Star Trek season...

Trentster05

Yes, you *can* binge the entirety of WandaVision.

Wait 8 weeks and watch all the episodes at once. You can even save money that way by only paying for one month of D+.

That reminds me, I need to sub to CBS Access for a month and catch up on the last Star Trek season...
I agree. For me I like having something new to look forward to every Friday night. We are in such an instant culture that it is nice to have something you wait for each week and actually enjoy it more.

LSLS

I feel I'm missing something in this argument. So is the case being made that the people who see the first 2 episodes and go "i don't understand this at all, im not interested," won't tune in next week, but would spend a few more hours that day watching it if they were all available? Am I weird in that if I get bored or don't understand a show, I don't sit there and binge watch it? In fact, im WAY more likely to take a break and come back (I've done that a couple times as I go through clone wars actually) if I watch any more at all.

I mean, selfish reasons, id love to watch them all right now. But I think how Disney is doing this actually is very smart. Not only do you keep subscriptions, you keep interest for 8 weeks as opposed to 1.

Animaniac93-98

I feel I'm missing something in this argument. So is the case being made that the people who see the first 2 episodes and go "i don't understand this at all, im not interested," won't tune in next week, but would spend a few more hours that day watching it if they were all available? Am I weird in that if I get bored or don't understand a show, I don't sit there and binge watch it? In fact, im WAY more likely to take a break and come back (I've done that a couple times as I go through clone wars actually) if I watch any more at all.

I think if all the episodes were released at once some would fast forward to get past the "boring" parts instead of waiting x number of weeks for the show to get interesting for them.

doctornick

There’s an argument that perhaps WandaVision might be better served by being released all as once. That’s a far different argument that all shows should be released at once/binged or that more people prefer that style.

I’d argue that most people are better served by having weekly releases and it’s a better model for a streamer and it’s more interesting for discussion purposes and engagement. That doesn’t mean every show works best that way

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Original Poster
I want to say Elizabeth Olsen is absolutely fantastic. She perfectly embodied the sitcom housewife of the 50s and then the 60s in distinctive ways. And when the horror/mystery elements appeared (Mr. Hart choking and the Beekkeeper), she perfectly switched to a completely different demeanor. Just rewatch her saying "Vision, help him" and "No" to those moments. The confusion about the fakeness of this fake reality is momentarily gone and she fixes what's breaking the illusion. Brava!

NateD1226

I want to say Elizabeth Olsen is absolutely fantastic. She perfectly embodied the sitcom housewife of the 50s and then the 60s in distinctive ways. And when the horror/mystery elements appeared (Mr. Hart choking and the Beekkeeper), she perfectly switched to a completely different demeanor. Just rewatch her saying "Vision, help him" and "No" to those moments. The confusion about the fakeness of this fake reality is momentarily gone and she fixes what's breaking the illusion. Brava!
My thoughts exactly! Olsen should definitely get an Emmy nomination for this performance and maybe even a win! (Although Kaley Cuoco in The Flight Attendant was absolutely amazing)

LSLS

Her acting caught my attention too. Not that I thought she was a bad actress or anything (I've really liked her in the mcu), but those changes have been amazing.

Archie123

The slow burn may hurt the show in the long end. people pay for streaming to bin watch. it worked for the mandalorian but people hated it for THE BOYS season 2, and so far not a lot of people like the weekly release idea for this.

They hated it for The Boys because no one knew that they were doing it especially since all the episodes of season 1 were released at once. They dropped the ball and admitted it.

champdisney

Yeah, so far I’m not digging this show. Episode 1 was absolute cringe. I’m sure it was purposely done, however, there are still ways to turn that cringe into something entertaining so that it’ll be somewhat likeable. Instead, it was overall boring and so was Episode 2. I see where the story is going and that would be the only reason why I’ll continue watching... hoping it’ll get better.

Disney Maddux

Huge Twilight Zone feels, and that is a compliment. If it keeps up with the concept of everything devolving and getting more unsettling each episode, I'm going to love this.

Also if all of the Marvel shows are gonna have the sorta whodunnit trope of a masked/hooded figure who appears throughout the show and it's gonna keep us guessing all the way through who it is (Beekeeper in WandaVision of course, and in the Loki trailer there was a hooded figure who seemed to be following them through time), then my hype for these shows have raised significantly.

Jedijax719

How many seasons of Wandavision are there supposed to be? Dr. Strange 2 comes out in May, 2022 so I wonder if we'll have to wait through a whole 2nd season to actually find out what is going on.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom