SPOILERS: The Mandalorian S1 Chapter 8 / Full Season 1 Discussion

DisneyJeff

In the Parks
No
I sure hope so. That would be fun.
Also, it looks like D+ is losing subscribers.

1577996425527.png

smooch

It's like what Disney has been trying to do with their rides, part screen part set, but they don't seem to realize that without all the post production that goes into making these shots look more natural. I would really be fine with screens in rides if they were only used in addition to sets to create environments like this that aren't possible with limited space, but screen technology isn't convincing enough currently. You can tell it is a flat screen, they don't mimic depth effectively when mixed with physical sets. I have always been interested in how Star Wars films their movies, obviously they always use and innovate amazing technologies, and I have seen this pseudo screen / physical set hybrid used in other movies while watching VFX Artists React by the YouTube channel Corridor Crew and it is very impressive stuff.

EDIT: One thing they talked about on Corridor Crew was how the surround screen creates more realistic lighting that would be much harder / impossible to recreate with just a normal green screen. They used an example of a modern mansion style set with a lot of glass and reflective surfaces that was like above the clouds or something like that, and when the sun would start to set and create the orange, vibrant colors of the sunset, the real life set would then have all these lights and colors reflecting off of everything the way it would if the house were actually outside in a similar environment. That's what stood out to me, that it makes the lighting look a lot more realistic and in turn makes it seem like they truly are in the environment they are projecting.

Last edited:

Cosmic Commando

I think a lot of the magic comes from hiding the edges of the screen. I can look at the BTS shots of Mandalorian or matte painting shots of Luke v. Vader in Cloud City from ESB and totally buy it until my eye catches the edge. While it’s hard for a traditional screen to mimic depth, it can still be pretty convincing. My impression from watching video of Ratatouille in WDSP was the edge of the screen at the floor was really distracting.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
I think a lot of the magic comes from hiding the edges of the screen. I can look at the BTS shots of Mandalorian or matte painting shots of Luke v. Vader in Cloud City from ESB and totally buy it until my eye catches the edge. While it’s hard for a traditional screen to mimic depth, it can still be pretty convincing. My impression from watching video of Ratatouille in WDSP was the edge of the screen at the floor was really distracting.

I'm thinking about inventing glasses that have adjustable blinders. They're mostly to block out cell phones in my field of vision during shows, but they could be just the ticket for the situation here: block out the floor of Ratatouille, or the ceiling of IaSW.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
So, the X-Wing in DHS's SWGE was used in filming the Mandalorian...

Also of note is the making of the Mandalorian series on D+. It's very good. The latest (and last) episode has a touching story of the 501st playing extras in the series.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom